How effective is Alecensa for ALK-positive NSCLC?
Medically reviewed by Melisa Puckey, BPharm. Last updated on Feb 10, 2021.
Alecensa (alectinib) is used to treat anaplastic lymphoma kinase positive non-small cell lung cancer (ALK-positive NSCLC) that has spread to other parts of the body.
The updated results from the ALEX clinical trial (NCT02075840) shows that alectinib (Alecensa) is very effective at treating ALK-positive non-small-cell lung cancer (ALK-positive NSLC cancer), as it significantly prolonged the median progression-free survival to 34.8 months compared to 10.9 months for crizotinib.
For patients with ALK-positive NSLC cancer that has spread to the central nervous system (CNS), alectinib was effective in increasing progression-free survival to 25.4 months compared to 7.4 months for crizotinib .
The recent updated results from the ALEX clinical trial showed a higher 5-year overall survival rate for alectinib of 62.5% compared to 45.5% with crizotinib.
- Alectinib is an effective medicine used to treat metastasized anaplastic lymphoma kinase positive non-small cell lung cancer.
- Alectinib has been shown to increase the median progression-free survival to 34.8 months (compared to 10.9 for crizotinib)
- Alectinib has an increase in the 5-year overall survival rate to 62.5% compared to 45.5% to crizotinib.
- Updated overall survival and final progression-free survival data for patients with treatment-naive advanced ALK-positive non-small-cell lung cancer in the ALEX study: https://www.annalsofoncology.org/article/S0923-7534(20)39796-9/fulltext
- Alectinib versus Crizotinib in Untreated ALK-Positive Non–Small-Cell Lung Cancer: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1704795
Related Medical Questions
- How long do you take Alecensa for?
- How does Alecensa work?
- What is Alecensa used to treat?
- Oxycodone vs Hydrocodone - How do they compare?
- Vicodin vs Percocet: What's the difference?
- Is Sprycel a chemotherapy drug?
- How does Ibrance kill cancer?
- Can Darzalex cure Multiple Myeloma?
- What are the side effects of marijuana?
- Does Cabometyx (cabozantinib) cure cancer?
- My stool has changed color. What does it mean?
- Is lenvatinib / pembrolizumab used in endometrial cancer?
- Is Darzalex chemotherapy?
- How are axitinib and pembrolizumab used in kidney cancer?
- How effective is Herceptin for Breast & Gastric Cancer?
- What type of prostate cancer is Erleada used to treat?
- What type of cancer is Tecentriq used to treat?
- What type of drug is Libtayo?
- Alecensa Information for Consumers
- Alecensa Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Alecensa (detailed)