What is the difference between Cinvanti and Emend?
Cinvanti (aprepitant) and Emend (aprepitant) are both used for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV). There are several differences between Cinvanti and Emend including dosage forms, indications, population groups, and side effects.
Aprepitant is a substance P/neurokinin-1 (NK1) receptor antagonist. It is used in combination with other antiemetic agents for the prevention of acute and delayed nausea and vomiting associated with initial and repeat courses of highly emetogenic cancer chemotherapy.
Cinvanti (aprepitant) is supplied as:
- an injection for use in adults.
Emend (aprepitant) is supplied as:
- an oral capsule for use in adults and children 12 years of age and older
- an oral suspension for use in children 6 months of age and older.
Emend for Injection (fosaprepitant) is supplied as:
- an injection for use in adults and children 6 months of age and older.
Fosaprepitant is a prodrug of aprepitant, and it is converted to aprepitant within 30 minutes when administered intravenously.
Cinvanti is the first intravenous formulation to directly deliver aprepitant, the active ingredient in Emend capsules. Emend for Injection contains fosaprepitant, which is converted to aprepitant.
Cinvanti uses a novel lipid emulsion formulation of aprepitant to overcome the low water solubility problem of aprepitant without the use of polysorbate 80 or other synthetic surfactants. Pharmaceutical formulations such as Emend for Injection that contain polysorbate 80 have been linked to hypersensitivity reactions, including anaphylaxis and irritation of blood vessels resulting in infusion-site pain.
Results of bioequivalence studies of Cinvanti and Emend for Injection showed that people receiving Cinvanti reported fewer adverse events than those receiving Emend for Injection, including substantially fewer infusion-site reactions.
Related medical questions
- How long does Sustol work to prevent chemotherapy nausea?
- Should gabapentin be taken with food?
- What is the difference between the oral and injectable formulations of Akynzeo?
- What is Syndros used for?
- Will a single dose of Varubi stop vomiting for days?
- How long does a dose of Varubi last?
Related support groups
- Fosaprepitant (1 questions, 4 members)
- Cinvanti (1 questions, 4 members)
- Emend (1 questions, 6 members)
- Aprepitant (1 questions, 4 members)
- Emend for Injection (1 questions, 3 members)
- Nausea/Vomiting - Chemotherapy Induced (13 questions, 25 members)
- Nausea/Vomiting - Postoperative (4 questions, 8 members)