Generic name: ALBIGLUTIDE 30mg in 0.5mL
Dosage form: injection, powder, lyophilized, for solution
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.
The recommended dosage of TANZEUM is 30 mg once weekly given as a subcutaneous injection in the abdomen, thigh, or upper arm region. The dosage may be increased to 50 mg once weekly if the glycemic response is inadequate.
TANZEUM may be administered at any time of day without regard to meals. Instruct patients to administer TANZEUM once a week on the same day each week. The day of weekly administration may be changed if necessary as long as the last dose was administered 4 or more days before.
If a dose is missed, instruct patients to administer as soon as possible within 3 days after the missed dose. Thereafter, patients can resume dosing on their usual day of administration. If it is more than 3 days after the missed dose, instruct patients to wait until their next regularly scheduled weekly dose.
Concomitant Use with an Insulin Secretagogue (e.g., Sulfonylurea) or with Insulin
When initiating TANZEUM, consider reducing the dosage of concomitantly administered insulin secretagogues (e.g., sulfonylureas) or insulin to reduce the risk of hypoglycemia [see Warnings and Precautions (5.3)].
Dosage in Patients with Renal Impairment
No dose adjustment is needed in patients with mild, moderate, or severe renal impairment (eGFR 15 to 89 mL/min/1.73 m2). Use caution when initiating or escalating doses of TANZEUM in patients with renal impairment. Monitor renal function in patients with renal impairment reporting severe adverse gastrointestinal reactions [see Warnings and Precautions (5.5), Use in Specific Populations (8.6)].
Reconstitution of the Lyophilized Powder
The lyophilized powder contained within the Pen must be reconstituted prior to administration. See Patient Instructions for Use for complete administration instructions with illustrations. The instructions may also be found at www.TANZEUM.com. Instruct patients as follows:
- Hold the Pen body with the clear cartridge pointing up to see the  in the number window.
- To reconstitute the lyophilized powder with the diluent in the Pen, twist the clear cartridge on the Pen in the direction of the arrow until the Pen is felt/heard to “click” into place and the  is seen in the number window. This mixes the diluent with the lyophilized powder.
- Slowly and gently rock the Pen side-to-side 5 times to mix the reconstituted solution of TANZEUM. Advise the patient to not shake the Pen hard to avoid foaming.
- Wait 15 minutes for the 30-mg Pen and 30 minutes for the 50-mg Pen to ensure that the reconstituted solution is mixed.
Preparing Pen for Injection
- Slowly and gently rock the Pen side-to-side 5 additional times to mix the reconstituted solution.
- Visually inspect the reconstituted solution in the viewing window for particulate matter. The reconstituted solution will be yellow in color. After reconstitution, use TANZEUM within 8 hours.
- Holding the Pen upright, attach the needle to the Pen by pushing it straight down until there is a click and the needle snaps into place. Gently tap the clear cartridge to bring large bubbles to the top.
See Dosage and Administration (2.5) for important administration instructions, including the injection procedure.
Alternate Method of Reconstitution (Healthcare Professional Use Only)
The Patient Instructions for Use provide directions for the patient to wait 15 minutes for the 30-mg Pen and 30 minutes for the 50-mg Pen after the lyophilized powder and diluent are mixed to ensure reconstitution.
Healthcare professionals may utilize the following alternate method of reconstitution. Because this method relies on appropriate swirling and visual inspection of the solution, it should only be performed by healthcare professionals.
- Follow Step A (Inspect Your Pen and Mix Your Medication) in the Instructions for Use. Make sure you have:
- Inspected the Pen for  in the number window and expiration date.
- Twisted the clear cartridge until  appears in the number window and a “click” is heard. This combines the medicine powder and liquid in the clear cartridge.
- Hold the Pen with the clear cartridge pointing up and maintain this orientation throughout the reconstitution.
- Gently swirl the Pen in small circular motions for at least one minute. Avoid shaking as this can result in foaming, which may affect the dose.
- Inspect the solution, and if needed, continue to gently swirl the Pen until all the powder is dissolved and you see a clear yellow solution that is free of particles. A small amount of foam, on top of the solution at the end of reconstitution, is normal.
- For 30-mg Pen: Complete dissolution usually occurs within 2 minutes but may take up to 5 minutes, as confirmed by visual inspection for a clear yellow solution free of particles.
- For 50-mg Pen: Complete dissolution usually occurs within 7 minutes but may take up to 10 minutes.
- After reconstitution, continue to follow the steps in the Instructions for Use, starting at Step B: Attach the Needle.
Important Administration Instructions
Instruct patients as follows:
- The pen should be used within 8 hours of reconstitution prior to attaching the needle.
- After attaching the supplied needle, remove air bubbles by slowly twisting the Pen until you see the  in the number window. At the same time, the injection button will be automatically released from the bottom of the Pen.
- Use immediately after the needle is attached and primed. The product can clog the needle if allowed to dry in the primed needle.
- After subcutaneously inserting the needle into the skin in the abdomen, thigh, or upper arm region, press the injection button. Hold the injection button until you hear a “click” and then hold the button for 5 additional seconds to deliver the full dose.
When using TANZEUM with insulin, instruct patients to administer as separate injections and to never mix the products. It is acceptable to inject TANZEUM and insulin in the same body region but the injections should not be adjacent to each other.
When injecting in the same body region, advise patients to use a different injection site each week. TANZEUM must not be administered intravenously or intramuscularly.
More about Tanzeum (albiglutide)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 10 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: incretin mimetics