Lo Minastrin Fe Dosage
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 4, 2020.
Generic name: NORETHINDRONE ACETATE 1mg, ETHINYL ESTRADIOL 10ug; ETHINYL ESTRADIOL 10ug;
Dosage form: tablets
2.1 How to Take Lo Minastrin Fe
To achieve maximum contraceptive effectiveness, Lo Minastrin Fe must be taken exactly as directed. Instruct patients to take one tablet by mouth at the same time every day. The blue tablet should be chewed and swallowed. The patient should drink a full glass (8 ounces) of water immediately after chewing and swallowing the blue tablet. The white tablet and the brown tablet are swallowed. Tablets must be taken in the order directed on the blister pack. Tablets should not be skipped or taken at intervals exceeding 24 hours. For patient instructions for missed tablets [see FDA-approved patient labeling]. Lo Minastrin Fe may be administered without regard to meals [see Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)].
2.2 How to Start Lo Minastrin Fe
Instruct the patient to begin taking Lo Minastrin Fe on Day 1 of her menstrual cycle (that is, the first day of her menstrual bleeding) [see FDA-approved patient labeling]. One blue tablet should be taken daily for 24 consecutive days, followed by one white tablet daily for 2 consecutive days, followed by one brown tablet daily for 2 consecutive days. Instruct the patient to use a non-hormonal contraceptive as back-up during the first 7 days if she starts taking Lo Minastrin Fe other than on the first day of her menstrual cycle.
For postpartum women who do not breastfeed or after a second trimester abortion, Lo Minastrin Fe may be started no earlier than 4 weeks postpartum. Recommend use of a non-hormonal back-up method for the first 7 days. When COCs are used during the postpartum period, the increased risk of thromboembolic disease associated with the postpartum period must be considered [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)]. The possibility of ovulation and conception before starting COCs should also be considered.
Lo Minastrin Fe may be initiated immediately after a first-trimester abortion or miscarriage; if the patient starts Lo Minastrin Fe immediately, additional contraceptive measures are not needed.
2.3 Switching from another Hormonal Method of Contraception
If the patient is switching from a combination hormonal method such as:
° Another pill
° Vaginal ring
- Instruct her to take the first blue tablet on the day she would have taken her next COC pill. She should not continue taking the tablets from her previous birth control pack, and should not skip any days between packs. If she does not have a withdrawal bleed, rule out pregnancy before starting Lo Minastrin Fe.
- If she previously used a vaginal ring or transdermal patch, she should start using Lo Minastrin Fe on the day she would have resumed the previous product.
If the patient is switching from a progestin-only method such as a:
° Progestin-only pill
° Intrauterine system
- She may switch any day from a progestin-only pill; instruct her to take the first blue tablet on the day she would have taken her next progestin-only pill.
- If switching from an implant or injection, start the first blue tablet on the day her next injection would have been due or on the day of removal of her implant.
- If switching from an IUD, depending on the timing of removal, back-up contraception may be needed.
2.4 Advice in Case of Gastrointestinal Disturbances
If the patient vomits or has diarrhea (within 3 to 4 hours after she takes a blue or white tablet), she should follow the instructions in the “What to Do if You Miss Tablets” section [see FDA-approved patient labeling].
More about Lo Minastrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Imprints, Shape & Color Data
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: contraceptives
- FDA Approval History
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.