Generic name: SITAGLIPTIN PHOSPHATE 50mg, METFORMIN HYDROCHLORIDE 500mg
Dosage form: tablet, film coated
Drug class: Antidiabetic combinations
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 7, 2023.
- Take JANUMET orally twice daily with meals.
- Individualize the dosage of JANUMET on the basis of the patient’s current regimen, effectiveness, and tolerability.
- The maximum recommended daily dose is 100 mg of sitagliptin and 2000 mg of metformin hydrochloride (HCl).
- Do not split or divide JANUMET tablets.
- The recommended starting dose in patients not currently treated with metformin is 50 mg sitagliptin and 500 mg metformin HCl twice daily, with gradual dose escalation recommended to reduce gastrointestinal side effects associated with metformin.
- The starting dose in patients already treated with metformin should provide sitagliptin dosed as 50 mg twice daily (100 mg total daily dose) and the dose of metformin already being taken. For patients taking metformin HCl 850 mg twice daily, the recommended starting dose of JANUMET is 50 mg sitagliptin and 1000 mg metformin HCl twice daily.
Recommendations for Use in Renal Impairment
- Assess renal function prior to initiation of JANUMET and periodically thereafter.
- JANUMET is contraindicated in patients with an estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) below 30 mL/min/1.73 m2 [see Contraindications (4) and Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
- JANUMET is not recommended in patients with an eGFR between 30 and less than 45 mL/min/1.73 m2 because these patients require a lower dosage of sitagliptin than what is available in the fixed combination JANUMET product.
Discontinuation for Iodinated Contrast Imaging Procedures
Discontinue JANUMET at the time of, or prior to, an iodinated contrast imaging procedure in patients with an eGFR between 30 and 60 mL/min/1.73 m2; in patients with a history of liver disease, alcoholism, or heart failure; or in patients who will be administered intra-arterial iodinated contrast. Re-evaluate eGFR 48 hours after the imaging procedure; restart JANUMET if renal function is stable [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
Frequently asked questions
More about Janumet (metformin / sitagliptin)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (65)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- During pregnancy
- Support group
- FDA approval history
- Drug class: antidiabetic combinations
- En español
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.