Janumet XR Dosage
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 4, 2020.
Generic name: SITAGLIPTIN PHOSPHATE 50mg, METFORMIN HYDROCHLORIDE 500mg
Dosage form: tablet, film coated, extended release
- Take JANUMET XR orally once daily with a meal. Patients taking two JANUMET XR tablets should take the two tablets together once daily.
- Individualize the dosage of JANUMET XR on the basis of the patient’s current regimen, effectiveness, and tolerability.
- The maximum recommended daily dose is 100 mg of sitagliptin and 2000 mg of metformin hydrochloride (HCl) extended-release.
- The recommended starting dose in patients not currently treated with metformin is 100 mg sitagliptin and 1000 mg metformin HCl extended-release once daily, with gradual dose escalation recommended to reduce gastrointestinal side effects associated with metformin.
- The starting dose in patients already treated with metformin should provide 100 mg sitagliptin and the previously prescribed dose of metformin.
- For patients taking metformin HCl immediate-release 850 mg twice daily or 1000 mg twice daily, the recommended starting dose of JANUMET XR is two 50 mg sitagliptin and 1000 mg metformin HCl extended-release tablets taken together once daily.
- Maintain the same total daily dose of sitagliptin and metformin when changing between JANUMET (sitagliptin and metformin HCl immediate-release) and JANUMET XR.
- Do not split, crush or chew JANUMET XR tablets.
Recommendations for Use in Renal Impairment
- Assess renal function prior to initiation of JANUMET XR and periodically thereafter.
- JANUMET XR is contraindicated in patients with an estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) below 30 mL/min/1.73 m2. Discontinue JANUMET XR if the patient's eGFR later falls below 30 mL/min/1.73 m2 [see Contraindications (4) and Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
- Initiation of JANUMET XR in patients with an eGFR between 30 and 45 mL/min/1.73 m2 is not recommended.
- In patients taking JANUMET XR whose eGFR later falls below 45 mL/min/1.73 m2, assess the benefit risk of continuing therapy and limit dose of the sitagliptin component to 50 mg once daily.
Discontinuation for Iodinated Contrast Imaging Procedures
Discontinue JANUMET XR at the time of, or prior to, an iodinated contrast imaging procedure in patients with an eGFR between 30 and 60 mL/min/1.73 m2; in patients with a history of liver disease, alcoholism, or heart failure; or in patients who will be administered intra-arterial iodinated contrast. Re-evaluate eGFR 48 hours after the imaging procedure; restart JANUMET XR if renal function is stable [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
More about Janumet XR (metformin / sitagliptin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 2 Reviews
- Drug class: antidiabetic combinations
- FDA Alerts (4)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.