Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 22, 2021.
Adult Dosage and Administration
- • The recommended starting dose of GLUMETZA is 500 mg orally once daily with the evening meal.
- • Increase the dose in increments of 500 mg every 1 to 2 weeks on the basis of glycemic control and tolerability, up to
- a maximum of 2,000 mg once daily with the evening meal.
- • Patients receiving metformin hydrochloride (HCl) may be switched to GLUMETZA once daily at the same total
- daily dose, up to 2,000 mg once daily.
- • Swallow GLUMETZA whole and never crush, cut or chew.
- • If a dose of GLUMETZA is missed, instruct patients not to take two doses the same day and to resume their usual
- dose of GLUMETZA with the next schedule dose.
Recommendations for Use in Renal Impairment
- • Assess renal function prior to initiation of GLUMETZA and periodically thereafter.
- • GLUMETZA is contraindicated in patients with an estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) below
- 30 mL/minute/1.73 m2.
- • Initiation of GLUMETZA in patients with an eGFR between 30 to 45 mL/minute/1.73 m2 is not recommended.
- • In patients taking GLUMETZA whose eGFR later falls below 45 mL/minute/1.73 m2, assess the benefit risk of
- continuing therapy.
- • Discontinue GLUMETZA if the patient’s eGFR later falls below 30 mL/minute/1.73 m2 [see Contraindications (4) and Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
Discontinuation for Iodinated Contrast Imaging Procedures
Discontinue GLUMETZA at the time of, or prior to, an iodinated contrast imaging procedure in patients with an eGFR between 30 and 60 mL/minute/1.73 m2; in patients with a history of liver disease, alcoholism or heart failure; or in patients who will be administered intra-arterial iodinated contrast. Re-evaluate eGFR 48 hours after the imaging procedure; restart GLUMETZA if renal function is stable [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
Frequently asked questions
- What is the safest diabetes medication?
- Does metformin cause hypoglycemia?
- Is Invokana the same as metformin?
- How long does glucophage/Metformin stay in your system?
- Can Diabetes go away?
- What are the ingredient drugs contained in Qternmet XR?
More about Glumetza (metformin)
- Side effects
- Drug interactions
- During pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Reviews (4)
- Drug images
- Pricing & coupons
- Generic availability
- En español
- Drug class: non-sulfonylureas
- Latest FDA Alerts (18)
- FDA approval history
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.