Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 24, 2023.
Applies to the following strengths: 150 mg; 300 mg
Usual Adult Dose for:
Usual Pediatric Dose for:
Additional dosage information:
Usual Adult Dose for Hypertension
Initial: 150 mg orally once a day
Maintenance: the dosage may be increased to 300 mg daily if blood pressure is not adequately controlled.
- The antihypertensive effect is substantially attained by 2 weeks.
- Tablets should be taken the same way each day, either with or without a meal. (High-fat meals decrease absorption of aliskiren substantially).
Usual Pediatric Dose for Hypertension
6 TO 17 YEARS:
Less than 20 kg: Not recommended
20 to 50 kg (not approved for use due to the lack of an appropriate dosage form): 75 mg orally once a day; if blood pressure remains inadequately controlled, the daily dose may be increased to 150 mg
50 kg or greater: 150 mg orally once a day; if blood pressure remains inadequately controlled, the daily dose may be increased to 300 mg
Comments: The antihypertensive effect of a given dose is 85% to 90% attained by 2 weeks.
Renal Dose Adjustments
Mild to moderate renal dysfunction (CrCl 30 mL/min or greater): No adjustment recommended
Severe renal dysfunction (CrCl 30 mL/min or less): Not recommended
Liver Dose Adjustments
No adjustment recommended
No dosage adjustment is recommended based on gender, age, body weight, or race..
US BOXED WARNING:
- FETAL TOXICITY: If pregnancy is detected, discontinue aliskiren as soon as possible. Drugs that act directly on the renin-angiotensin system can cause injury and death to the developing fetus.
Safety and efficacy have not been established in patients younger than 6 years and patients less than 20 kg.
Consult WARNINGS section for additional precautions.
Data not available
Administration advice: Oral pellets: The manufacturer product information should be consulted.
General: This drug is effective alone and in combination with other antihypertensive agents.
- Metabolic: Periodic monitoring of serum electrolytes is recommended, particularly in patients with diabetes mellitus, renal dysfunction, or heart failure.
- Renal: Periodic monitoring of renal function is recommended, particularly in patients with diabetes mellitus, renal dysfunction, or heart failure.
Patient advice: Patients should establish a routine pattern for taking this drug either with or without a meal. High-fat meals decrease absorption of aliskiren substantially.
More about aliskiren
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (31)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: renin inhibitors
- En español
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.