Mexiletine Disease Interactions
There are 2 disease interactions with mexiletine:
Antiarrhythmics (Includes Mexiletine) ↔ Cardiovascular Dysfunction
Severe Potential Hazard, Low plausibility
Applies to: Hypotension, Congestive Heart Failure
Antiarrhythmic agents can induce severe hypotension (particularly with IV administration) or induce or worsen congestive heart failure (CHF). Patients with primary cardiomyopathy or inadequately compensated CHF are at increased risk. Antiarrhythmic agents should be administered cautiously and dosage and/or frequency of administration modified in patients with hypotension or adequately compensated CHF. Alternative therapy should be considered unless these conditions are secondary to cardiac arrhythmia.
- Halkin H, Meffin P, Melmon KL, Rowland M "Influence of congestive heart failure on blood levels of lidocaine and its active monodeethylated metabolite." Clin Pharmacol Ther 17 (1975): 669-76
- Crouthamel WG "The effect of congestive heart failure on quinidine pharmacokinetics." Am Heart J 90 (1975): 335-9
- "Product Information. Cordarone (amiodarone)." Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
Antiarrhythmics (Includes Mexiletine) ↔ Proarrhythmic Effects
Severe Potential Hazard, High plausibility
Applies to: Arrhythmias
Antiarrhythmic agents can induce or worsen ventricular arrhythmias. Ventricular tachycardia, ventricular fibrillation, and torsades de pointes have occurred in some patients. Patients with underlying cardiac dysfunction, bradycardia, hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, or high antiarrhythmic serum concentrations are at increased risk for drug-induced arrhythmias. Therapy with antiarrhythmics should be used with extreme caution in patients with or predisposed to arrhythmias. Evidence of improved survival is lacking for use of antiarrhythmic therapy in asymptomatic, non-life-threatening arrhythmias. Therapy with antiarrhythmic agents should be reserved for patients with life-threatening arrhythmias.
- "Product Information. Tambocor (flecainide)." 3M Pharmaceuticals, St. Paul, MN.
- "Product Information. Adenocard (adenosine)." Fujisawa, Deerfield, IL.
- Andrivet P, Beaslay V, Canh VD "Torsades de pointe with flecainide-amiodarone therapy." Intensive Care Med 16 (1990): 342-3
mexiletine drug Interactions
There are 174 drug interactions with mexiletine
Drug Interaction Classification
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.