Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Disease Interactions
There is 1 disease interaction with Claritin 24 Hour Allergy (loratadine).
Loratadine (applies to Claritin 24 Hour Allergy) renal/liver disease
Moderate Potential Hazard, High plausibility. Applicable conditions: Renal Dysfunction
Loratadine is primarily converted by the liver to an active metabolite, and both parent drug and metabolite are excreted in the urine. Patients with renal and/or liver disease may be at greater risk for adverse effects from loratadine due to drug and metabolite accumulation. The manufacturer recommends one-half the regular dosage initially in patients with liver failure or decreased renal function (GFR < 30 mL/min). Due to the differential effects of hepatic impairment on the serum half-life and clearance of loratadine and pseudoephedrine, the use of products containing a fixed combination of these drugs is not recommended in the presence of liver failure.
- Matzke GR, Halstenson CE, Opsahl JA, Hilbert J, Perentesis G, Radwanski E, Zampaglione N "Pharmacokinetics of loratadine in patients with renal insufficiency." J Clin Pharmacol 30 (1990): 364-71
- Clissold SP, Sorkin EM, Goa KL "Loratadine. A preliminary review of its pharmacodynamic properties and therapeutic efficacy." Drugs 37 (1989): 42-57
- Hilbert J, Moritzen V, Parks A, Radwanski E, Perentesis G, Symchowicz S, Zampaglione N "The pharmacokinetics of loratadine in normal geriatric volunteers." J Int Med Res 16 (1988): 50-60
- "Product Information. Claritin (loratadine)." Schering Corporation (2002):
- Schiano TD, Bellary SV, Cassidy MJ, Thomas RM, Black M "Subfulminant liver failure and severe hepatotoxicity caused by loratadine use." Ann Intern Med 125 (1996): 738-40
- Monroe EW "Safety and efficacy of loratadine in urticaria." Int J Dermatol 35 (1996): 837-41
Claritin 24 Hour Allergy drug interactions
There are 88 drug interactions with Claritin 24 Hour Allergy (loratadine).
Claritin 24 Hour Allergy alcohol/food interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food interaction with Claritin 24 Hour Allergy (loratadine).
More about Claritin 24 Hour Allergy (loratadine)
- Check interactions
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (3)
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: antihistamines
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No interaction information available.|
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.