User Reviews for Tolterodine to treat Urinary Incontinence

Also known as: Detrol, Detrol LA

Tolterodine has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 16 ratings for the treatment of Urinary Incontinence. 44% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Tolterodine Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 38 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Incontinence.

Reviews for Tolterodine

WetPants July 14, 2018

“My bladder is messed up due to radiation treatments from 1994 to treat cervical cancer. I had no issues for about 10 years and now I have retention problems and horrible incontinence. I’ve been taking tolterodine for over a year and for the past 3 months my incontinence is ridiculous. I can outright wet my pants to high thigh if it’s been a couple hours since my last bathroom trip. I get up at least 4 times in the night with soaked underwear and have to hold my crotch on the way to the bathroom. Somehow I take it in stride. It’s not sexy but everyone urinates. I stopped Tolterodine today to see if that helps. Best wishes to all my fellow incontinents.”

louseg July 7, 2016

Detrol LA (tolterodine): “I am 83 yrs old an took Detrol for 6 weeks so I could join my family on an Alaska cruise it worked great voice was raspy but could handle an several other side effects BUT than came home an realized while in the car my eyes where not what they were before so stopped taking the medication an am happy to say this morning I took my car and went shopping an eyes were just fine..will only take it when I am going to be gone for several day or an occasion that would require me to set for several hours,,,than I could not make it to the bathroom otherwise”

Dollbott · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 10, 2020

“I have been on tolterodine for years and love it. Before, I had lost the "urge" and notice and would constantly wet my goes as my bladder released fully. Now, I get the "urge", but I had better hurry to the restroom.”

Val 55 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2017

“I took Bethanochol for many years to combat dry mouth from other medications. Eventually it led to an issue with incontinence, so I discontinued. Several months passed, and the incontinence continued (apparently it becomes permanent in some cases). My doctor prescribed Detrol/Tolteradone, but after 3 months the only change is the awful side effects-extremely dry mouth/eyes/sinus/skin, headache, increased lethargy, irritability, mental processing impaired, etc. But barely noticeable improvement of the urgency/incontinence issue. Also, my disability income can't sustain the copay (if it worked it might be worth going without heat or something else). Hoping that I can discontinue without any added complications. Very disappointing.”

Taking Detrol LA ER · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2016

Detrol LA (tolterodine): “I started a week ago and so far so good. I took this medication several years ago and had no problems. I had a bladder sling removed 5 months ago and because of the damage that has been done, I have to take medication. This is the second time medication I am trying.”

dreianya February 13, 2016

“switched from Ditropan to Detrol LA recently... I am a 44 yr old female.... Ditropan made me so sleepy I could not function and did not help my symptoms at all. Anyway but this Detrol has made every symptom I have a thousand times worse... I am waking up to urinate at least every hour at night and having to change my clothing constantly from increased incontinence and the urge to go is a lot stronger. Not to mention the fact that I am miserable from the dehydration it also has caused. I give up now on trying to find a medicine to help me lead a normal life. Ijust live with my issue like I was before seeking help.”

Desertscape · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2016

“After my insurance would no longer pay for Vesicare, which worked for me. My doctor had me try tolterodine, initially the results were just ok, but the longer I took it the more pronounced the side effects became, the con's outweighed the positives. I stopped taking it after my issues with incontinence cleared up. Due to a illness, valley fever, the incontinence has returned. The doctor had me re-start the tolterodine . Well once again the side effects returned after two weeks, a fluttering in my ear canals, extreme irritability, and finally constipation. Doctor said the generics are not all the same and that Detrol might be better, but my insurance won't pay for the name brand drug. Guess I will just have to deal with the incontinence..”

DoxieMom50 · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2021

Detrol LA (tolterodine): “I was previously on another medication but was changed to Detrol LA due to some non-emergency side effects. Have used Detrol LA for 2 weeks and find that my bladder always needs to empty (4-5 times a night) and a delay in getting urine stream started. It seems to make by bladder spasm more. Called my doctor to return to the other medication.”

DonnaHas · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 7, 2016

Detrol LA (tolterodine): “Has worked GREAT for me. No side effects.”

Anonymous September 17, 2010

Detrol LA (tolterodine): “Expensive but it works! No negative side effects.”

The Cat Lady · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2013

Detrol (tolterodine): “I just received the medication today. So far so good. My pad is dry. I don't have severe dry mouth.”

mindykoz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 7, 2012

Detrol LA (tolterodine): “Only saw results for the first couple of months.”

Anonymous March 13, 2010

Detrol (tolterodine): “Did nothing to lessen or correct the condition. Also, very expensive!”

Anonymous September 16, 2015

“tolterodine hasn't controlled my incontinence. I have less control concerning being able to hold my urine till I get to bathroom.”

Msb · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2020

“I have been in this drug for a little over a month. However I am starting to get little rashes everywhere. They are like the size of a dime. Has anyone experienced this with taking this medicine?”

cellogirl · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2017

“Caused severe urinary retention that required me to wear a Foley catheter for three days.”

Lah12 August 7, 2017

“Awesome for 2 years then just stopped working for me”

holyrainyday · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 20, 2021

Detrol LA (tolterodine): “Timed released LA doesn't last 24 hrs!”

Learn more about Urinary Incontinence