User Reviews for Tenofovir to treat Hepatitis B

Also known as: Viread

Tenofovir has an average rating of 8.1 out of 10 from a total of 18 ratings for the treatment of Hepatitis B. 67% of those users who reviewed Tenofovir reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Tenofovir Rating Summary

8.1/10 average rating

Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Hepatitis B.

Reviews for Tenofovir

Dua · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 16, 2021

“I was diagnosed with hepatitis B in 2015 and started Viread. It has been 5 years now. My viral load is undetectable now but the side effect I'm facing is lower back pain. Which is becoming the part of my daily life. Anyone who is managing lower back pain with any other thing can share their experience. Thanks”

Benny December 29, 2020

“Tenovovir has been a good drug to combat HBV with, within 3 months of medication it reverse the viral load below 20 IM”

Canadian · Taken for 10 years or more November 30, 2020

“I've been taking this medicine since 2012 when I discovered that my chronic Hep B has reached stage 2/3 levels (can't really remember if it was stage 2 or 3). The med is very expensive but I had insurance and the med work effectively. A few years ago the generic version become available which decreases the price tremendously so am grateful. I have no known negative side effect with these meds.. so far anyways. My doc said eventually I will get antibodies and I can stop taking this med. I am still hopeful this will materialize. But other than that, the med helped me.”

filhodovento January 18, 2010

Viread (tenofovir): “I am doing great with this medicine. I have never had any side effects during the 7 months I have been taking this medication. My viral load went from 248,000,000 to only 160. My ALT levels are normal, and hopefully with enough time, Tenofovir can get rid of the virus. However, I am not sure if there is something else going on, such as calcium loss or any unnoticeable side effect. In conclusion, Viread is a very effective treatment for Chronic HBV with almost no side effects.”

xemaphore November 22, 2011

Viread (tenofovir): “I am also very satisfied with Viread. I have a chronic Hepatitis B infection and my HBV-DNA was 103.000.000 in last February. Since almost 9 months I am using Viread and the virus level dropped down to only 20. ALT and AST levels are also now around 21 which I had never seen before in my blood-check paper. I have not faced any major side-effects until now that I can identify physically or mentally. But of course, I am also not sure if there is a change in calcium, zinc, iron levels in my body or if I will face any problem with any other parts of my body. ”

HebB · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 1, 2015

Viread (tenofovir): “I have been taking Viread for 6 years. My Hep B viral count has remained undetectable for 3 years now. However, I need to continue Viread in order to keep the virus in controlled. I have chronic lower back pain (for 3 years now) that continues to worsen. Exercise and rehab does not help. The pain has gotten to the point where it is affecting my daily living activities and I'm only in my early 20s. I also have very bad insomnia. Hope we will all be Hep B free one day. Will take a miracle, but believing is half the battle.”

Jesse January 24, 2019

Viread (tenofovir): “I have hepB since 2006. I started taking Viread since August 2017. Now, the virus is undetectable. I went for a check up last month and all my tests were good. The medication is working very well and no side effects so far. Viread is GREAT so far. Too all my people with HepB hang in there and hopefully, one day we will be cured from this disease.”

Hamton September 23, 2015

Viread (tenofovir): “I have have been taking Viread 300mg for 14 months now. After 1 month of taking Viread, my DNA count was undetectable. I try to stay physically fit and workout everyday doing various things: weights, run, cardo. When I started taking Viread, I noticed a big decrease in endurance when working out with weights. Even with this side effect, I kept taking the drug and split my workout instead. Recently, I started developing a feeling of nausea and dizziness and feels like it is getting worse and more frequent. I think I have to stop taking the drug. ”

Angelina1 February 16, 2015

Viread (tenofovir): “I have chronic Hepatitis B I believe since I was born. Last several years, I have been very tired to the point I was depressed, my levels were high. My doctor recommended viread. I have been on it since last 2,5 months. I am not sure if it is doing anything or not but at least this winter I am not depressed and I have a normal life. The only thing is my legs and random body parts hurt. I am type of person would not care or realize if I am hurting or not but I am not sure if the medication is related or not. I will get checked soon.”

PM October 20, 2018

Viread (tenofovir): “HepB carrier. It was noticed in 2018 that virus got active. My ALT & AST were significantly high. In Jan 2018 following were reading ALT : 130 (Range 0-44 IU/L) AST : 66 (Range 0-40 IU/L) Started Vimledy 25 mg every day 1 pill. Initially virus got high and ALT/AST were further elevated. Dr told me to wait further. now I have below reading : Oct 2018 ALT (67) AST (32) So I can see constant improvement with ALT/AST after started with treatement. after 4-5 months of treatment start date, ALT/AST levels were noticed improving. I haven't seen or observed any other side affects. Virus level from DNA (Observations ) Before treatment : 3960964 IU/ml After one month of treatment :325,573 IU/mL After 4 months of treatment : 12,415 IU/mL I think treatment is going in right direction. This medicine should be taken after Dr consultation only”

Hbv30+yrs · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 5, 2019

Viread (tenofovir): “Have been taking viread for about 8 years, have had good results so far, load count has been undetectable for almost 7 years. Have discussed stopping medication totally with Doctor, decided to continue with treatment for another year then see where I'm at then, only side effect I've had is lack of energy. I'm already taking meds for depression, but had to increase dosage within a year of starting viread. Don't know if meds were reason I had to double my dosage for depression”

giri raj · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 23, 2013

“I am a Hep B patient. I am using this medicine since 1 year. My viral load is reduced to undetectable from 35000. After using this medicine I lost 10Kg of my weight. Again after three months I recovered 6kg of my weight. Except that I am feeling happy. Now my ALT levels are also normal.”

Chuck · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 10, 2020

Viread (tenofovir): “I am a chronic Hep b carrier so I was either born with it or had it as a child. Having been on Viread and it’s generic now for nearly a decade I was a little concern at the beginning, because their side effects list weren’t as they are now. At the start there wasn’t an issue until the last couple of years. Now I’m having joint and muscle pain to where I’ve living in pain daily along with being sleepy often when I used to be a very active person. I have pains in my hands, elbow and shoulder to where I’m napping, just to wake up with my arms crossed to a sharp pain in my shoulder. Be careful with this med and keep track on its side effects. It’s effective but at a cause. I’m trying to change med as we speak.”

HowardP · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 26, 2018

Viread (tenofovir): “Since 2018 the Tenofivir was released at $760./per 30 pills. Viread and Vemlidy each went up to $1000/per 30 pills. My Kaiser deductible is not valid for any of there drugs. Lastly, McKesson will reimburse up to $3600/per year. I'm baffaled and concerned this drug is asking for me to compromise my cash flow and fight for a reimbursement.”

Livermom October 19, 2018

“I have been taking tenefevoir for about 18mo. At the beginning of treatment my viral load was 98,000,000, it is now undetectable. I also tested HBVA-g negative. My ALT levels have normalized and I feel so much better. I have noticed some side effects such as lower back pain, muscle weakness, tiredness, and depression but all have been manageable with the help of my doctors. I'm praying that I can achieve a HBVA-b positive result. There are some side effects, however I am so thankful for this medication, it saved my liver.”

Kalsy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 13, 2017

Viread (tenofovir): “I've taking viread for 8 months now and my viral count has down significantly but side effects are lethargic, stomach discomfort, muscle weakness and the worst is my lower back. I was wondering whether my kidneys can't handle the medication.”

ISGAR · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 19, 2020

“I've been taking Tenofovir for almost 2 years now for hep B, I am one who has developed shoulder arm and wrist pain as well as lower back pain after 4 months of use. I seem to get constipated, so every Friday after work I take a laxative cause I'm off on weekends. The arm pain is increasing and it's to the point I'm wondering if its worth taking this drug. I have insurance but it's very costly to stay on this drug as well as regular check ups. I came on this forum in search of answers does anyone have similar aches and how do you deal with them? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.”

Angelo200 November 23, 2016

Viread (tenofovir): “Was born with Hep B. Now Iam in my early 40. Started the viread in 2007 ( 9 years now).”

Rome · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2019

“I have taking tenofovir for 5 days but i just observed that my urine is decreasing. I am peeing almost 5 times daily but the amount of urine is decreasing. Is it alarming?”

mccart October 3, 2015

Viread (tenofovir): “ love it”

Sky23 July 3, 2016

“Its very good medicine with some small manageable side effects..”

Lolo · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 6, 2020

“I am taking this tenvir 300 mg for year although my viral load was only 170 iu/ml still my Dr. Recommended me to take this”

Learn more about Hepatitis B