User Reviews for Flomax

Learn more about Flomax.

Flomax Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Stones.

Reviews for Flomax to treat Urinary Tract Stones

"I've had multiple kidneys stones over the years and this was the first time I've used Flomax. It seems to relieve the pain at least 40%."

Jason Gallaher August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease and pass around 100 stones each year. I recently used Flomax to help me pass 4 & 5 mm stones that were in my bladder for 2-1/2 weeks and causing horrific bladder spasms. There were many times that I screamed and cried as I urinated. I was on strong pain medicine, but it didn't touch the bladder pain at all. I began taking Flomax and while the spasms didn't stop, the pain was more tolerable, and I passed my stones, 3 stones at once (2, 5, & 6 mm). I have trouble swallowing pills and capsules, and I wish Flomax came in a chewable or liquid. Otherwise, it works well with few side effects--only some mild dizziness. I take it as needed. My insurance refuses to cover it because I'm a woman."

MSK Mom (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have hurt for the last 3 weeks really bad. I hurt so bad. I have taken 3 antibiotics the last 3 weeks. I finally decided it was enough and went to my Urologist. I was in so much pain. I was in tears. It was nonstop pain. My urologist told me that I had a stone or stones. My urologist prescribed me a pain med and Flomax. I thought Flomax was just for men. I looked it up and found out that it is used for kidney stones. I have taken Flomax once a day since Thursday and now I have no pain. I feel I passed the stone early this morning or it moved somewhere else. I am not hurting. I am so glad. I don't even know how to act, because I have been in so much pain for so long. I am set up for a CAT scan on Monday."

Luvrofmusik July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Flomax definitely worked for me. I just passed a series of six (6) 5mm kidney stones while using the bathroom. This was the third day (thus third dose) I had taken. In the past it's taken me weeks to pass just one 5mm stone. Side effects I experienced were a bit of muscle cramps/tensions in my legs and a numb feeling on the tip of my tongue. Not sure if that was the Flomax, the Oxy, or the Naproxen, or the large amounts of citrus fruits I ate/drank (lemon water and oranges) in an attempt to dissolve the stones. Either way Flomax helped me within 3 days. I am healed, thank God. Also just for reference I am a healthy (although overweight) 22y/o female and the stones were my only medical issue."

Marlaya (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"40 YO Female just passed a 6mm stone that caused 3 weeks of renal colic followed by 2 months of being stuck in my bladder. CT showed it just outside my urethera. Urologist said surgery. I asked Google. This is where I came across info that indicated flomax could help though not FDA approved for use in women. I figured if the stone had already made it thru the kidney and ureter to the bladder it was certainly possible for it to travel just an inch further. So asked the Dr if I could try flomax before rushing into surgery and she agreed it couldn't hurt. Well it did hurt but only briefly in comparison to the entire episode. 2 pills (2 nights) and my 6 mm stone just kinda fell out. Long 3 month story short, I <3 Flowmax!"

I<3Flomax (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Really I’m interested on your post! Please post more article about Kidney stone Thanks a lot, Hamid "

sangekolye.com June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It was the first kidney stone I had. Can't say it really helped. I was only supposed to take 2 weeks worth. I was pretty sure I passed stone but doc wanted me to take full dose. Halfway through 2nd week, I wet the bed. I stopped taking them then."

BostonTerrier Mom (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have surgery during which I was put to sleep had A 14 mm kidney stone removed from the bottom of one of my two left ureter's ( I was born with for ureters completely duplicated all the way down to the insertion of my Bladder ),I have swelling of both left ureters on my left side and the massive 1.4 x 1.2 cm stone was stuck in a (non congenital) ureterocele at the uvj at entrance to my bladder. Stone was broken up by laser removed and a stent placed in ureter from kidney to uvj. I was discharged from the hospital five hours after waking up from anesthesia key in a prescription for tamsulosin hcl (Flomax) 0.4mg(take 1 capsule daily (qty.30). phenazopyridine 200 mg , take 1 tab 1 to 2 times daily(qty 30). Cipro500 mg twice a day(qty6"

Elisejtolbert March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a frequent flyer when it comes to bladder stones and kidney stones. I am a female. This last time I went in because it wasn't moving. Cat scan revealed a 11 mm stone. They went in with a scope and laser to blast it but as soon as they tried to open up my ureter with the balloon they realized too late it was as full of strictures and one split open. So they quickly inserted a J stent, left the stone there and pulled out. Now I am 4 weeks out waiting for my ureter to heal before my urologist decides what it needs to be done. During this time I have been on flomax and it has helped with the flow of my urine and helps the pain. I am hoping that somehow the large stone has broken up and "left the building" lol side effects minimal."

Stone master February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Experienced sudden severe pain in left abdomen & back a week ago. An ultrasound at the Gastroenterologist (yeah, I went to one..) singled out the culprit as a 5mm stone in left ureter close to VUJ. I consulted a urologist a day after & he prescribed Tamsulosin (Flomax) 0.4mg each day in the night after meal. I used it for three days and got a CT KUB done since my pain wan't coming down much. - The CT KUB showed the stone intact at the same position (VUJ), The doctor suggested Laser Lithotripsy after two days. My pain stopped from that night & to check if stone got into bladder I went to a nearby diagnostic center & got another ultrasound scan done, the 5mm stone is gone!"

Mappa January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had severe kidney stones from 2002 to 2005. Moved to a cooler climate (Newfoundland, Canada) and the stones stopped being produced from May to September. Now - 2016 - I've been suffering with very painful stone stuck high in ureter since early July. It is now late November and my new GP has just prescribed FLOMAX .4mg to try to relax my right ureter so the stone will pass. CT scan says it is only 1 mm, so GP doesn't want to send me to a Urologist - yet. Just took first pill while reading this web site. Everyone's comments so very helpful. THANK YOU! While the stone is very small, it is amazingly painful causing nausea and screaming pain when it starts up again. Am also drinking beer which is supposed to help. Good luck to others."

Nellie's Mom November 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"You all are going to think I'm crazy or a genius but either way I'm relieved. I've been in excruciating pain for months & my doctors were thinking it was from a herniated disc but my gut instinct told me it was something else. Although the disc is painful I know it's stones, I had all the symptoms. I don't have a mm or cm to share because they never sent me for CS. I was an in home health aide and the patient I cared for passed away & he had Flomax, I had a feeling I would need them someday. I was at the doctors office today in tears crying & honestly just couldn't bear it anymore. He handed me a tissue and gave me a referral to a pain management clinic. I did research on stones took Flomax & in 2 hours passed it & no more pain. Praise God!"

Unheard Of (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Female age 35 with history of kidney stones. Went to ER for kidney stone pain on a Friday, was given a shot of Flomax and a prescription to take daily. Saw urologist and received CAT scan on Monday - one 5mm kidney stone in ureter and two more (one in each kidney) to come. On day six of Flomax and going to stop taking it - feeling very dizzy, nauseous, tired with chills/low fever at night. Still haven't passed the stone but can't take these side affects. Doctor said I can go back on Flomax anytime if my kidney stone pain comes back and I need it to help pass this stone."

Female35 (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've passed several stones, this was one of the worst and the first time flomax was prescribed. I have never had such ease passing a stone before and would highly recommend this for anyone suffering from a stone."

Bellerose (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went to emergency 7 days ago with kidney pain. I had stone in both kidneys. 5mm to right, 3 mm to left. Two doctors talked to me one was experienced & other was & fresh graduate. They told me I am going through surgery. I am self employed I had bad experience with fresh grad doctor 2 years ago. He operated me for lithotripsy & put a stent in me. Stent was not placed properly & I know how I spent 2 weeks with stent. Now I refused to become their practice animal. They prescribed me flomax 0.4mg for 7 days. I passed small stone within 5 days next two days I passed second stone. Only discomfort was shortness in breath, a little bleeding from nose & frequent urge to pee. I continue my business in this duration. Thanks flomax."

Mian sb (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"felt the familiar symptoms of a stone. doctor said it was 4 mm. gave me flowmax. I had symptoms of the stone for about 3 days. Took one flowmax pill, and within 8 hours the stone passed. My past experience was to have two stones stick and require surgery. Was it the flowmax, or would it have passed on its own? Who knows....for now I am a believer!"

spud1000 March 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have frequent kidney stones and for awhile was at a lose on how to deal with them. Eventually, after several horrible hospital trips, my primary doctor prescribed me Flomax and told me to take one a day during an attack. Flomax has been an absolute life saver for me. Within an hour, my pain subsides and I am normally able to pass the stone that same day. I carry Flomax with me everywhere now. It has helped reduce the anxiety I had about when my next kidney stone would occur because I know I have a pill that really works."

Lyndsayxo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a kidney stone 2 millimeters for two weeks I just find out about Flomax I took one pill and 5 hours later the stone was out I recommend this to everyone who have a kidney stone that really works Flomax really works"

gigi101 March 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had severe pain in right side went to ER They gave me pain med and did a CT scan found A 3mm stone sent me home feeling real good I took a anti nausea med Flomax and pain meds for pain. I took on a lot of water felt pain from time to time as stone traveled 5th day had a good amount of discomfort in groin area while in shower after had pain peed a little pushed hard with muscles in abdomen nothing came down. Took more Meds got up peed it out after a couple hours. Flomax made me pee hard but no bad side affects"

Sweet machinist March 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Diagnosed with 5 mm stone in October. Dull ache in lower back and pink urine. Given flomax and started drinking 1.5 gallons of water a day. In February to ER with extreme pain - could not stand or sit - pain felt like a spasm that started mildly in my lower left abdomen and then grew to the point of extreme (10/10) from my abdomen down to my feet. CT showed stone had moved just slightly to the outflow of my kidney. Had procedure to remove it with ureteral stent placement afterwards. If flomax did anything, I am not aware of it."

TD1960 February 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Six weeks postpartum of having my baby I started experiencing UTI symptoms. After two rounds of antibiotics, ruling out appendicitis, the dr. concluded it must be a kidney stone. Told me to drink lots of water. For a month I experienced dull pain, extreme pain, to no pain. Finally I had excruciating pain. My hubby drove me to the hospital. Went to the Outpatient building (to avoid ER cost). Got CT scan and KUB scan. The urologist fit us in that day to look over. I had a 7mm stone that had reached my ureter. She prescribed Flomax. After 1 dose and 9 hours later, I passed the stone. Didn't even feel it pass! Woke up next morning and didnt feel pain. Went back to Outpatient for KUB scan and showed no stone! Only symptoms were dizziness."

HME February 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I get stones frequently, have had lythotripsy for two of them. Finally I saw a new urologist and she gave me Flomax. I had Zero side effects. It didn't make me pee more often but when I did go it was like a raging river and moved my stone rift on out quickly. I will never have another stone without being prescribed Flomax and I tell any of my friends who get stones to use it. Also when I did pee it completely emptied my bladder/kidneys and relieves so much pressure. Life saver for sure !!!!"

Carvertwin77 January 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was hit with severe pain on a Friday morning. Ended up in the emergency room with a 6mm kidney stone on my right side. I was given Morphine and Toradol thru IV. I didn't hurt as much Saturday. In Sunday the pain came back and I ended back in the ER. I ended up with an awful UTI with this kidney stone. This time I was prescribed an antibiotic and Flomax. I filled it Monday and took one immediately. My stomach felt a little weird. A little bloating occurred. I drank a lot of water with lemon and Gatorade. I eased up on pain meds Tues only took my flomax. Weds morning I took it early and went back to bed. I got up to pee and there it was at the bottom of toilet. Didn't hurt or feel it at all."

6MM (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ten hours after taking the first dose I had a pulse rate of 126, atrial fibrillation, arrythmia, and high hypertension. I took no more."

PentecostalChristian January 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Flomax helps in the passing of kidney stone had stone for two months but wasn't drinking enough water. I stared drinking 1gal of water every day also 3 glasses of lemon n water and 3 cups of hibiscus tea in two days passed stone."

ERNIE R December 30, 2015