User Reviews for Tamoxifen

Also known as: Emblon, Genox, Nolvadex, Nolvadex D, Soltamox, Tamofen, Tamone, Tamosin, Tamoxen, Tamoxifen Hexal

Learn more about Tamoxifen.

Tamoxifen Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 155 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Tamoxifen to treat Breast Cancer

"I found my lump before Christmas. It was in the milk duct, 2 surgeries weeks apart to remove both lumps, painful. Tamoxifen is horrible! Always sweating, barely sleeping. I already had a hard time with insomnia, now this drug has made things worse. Started taking this in April. I will start taking the drug in the morning instead of at night. Hopefully, I may be able to get some sleep through the night without having to change sheets nightly. After readIng the other posts, this explains my constipation, lack of energy. Will see what kind of meds or herbal product I can take for the hot flashes, getting unbearable."

Aunt. Fran (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

"Its one year im on Tamoxifen . I will manage all side effects that i have as hot flash, join pain , back pain , mood swing . My goal is to live longer and see my son's future . Im 46 year old . I try not to think about pain and side effects till im really get tired from pain . Only thing im scared is pain . The rest i will manage . Good luck to all of you ! Life is beautifull and fight for it ."

AngieKendrick July 4, 2016

"I have been taking Tax for 6months. I won't lie having a mastectomy was easier then the meds, but the alternative is worst . My biggest complaint is fatigue and moodiness , training for an Half Ironman has it's challenges but I think the daily training helps me in so many ways, I don't have joint pain and other major SE. I like the open discussion format as Doctor's are really up in all of the side effects as each person is different . It is nice to hear from others the mood swings , thought I was gong crazy... Hard on family for sure. I just keep on trucking ... Good to hear from others."

Boobya June 12, 2016

"I have been on Tamoxifen for three months. I was put on it because of my increased risk for developing breast cancer. I have had no side effects at all. I also feel much calmer and relaxed. Before my period I would get very emotional and moody. Since I no longer have periods, I no longer experience this. I seem to be craving candy, but probably just trying to blame my sweet tooth on something besides my lack of will power. I have also lost 8 pounds."

No problems April 20, 2016

"I was diagnosed with DC breast cancer in November 2014. After 6 chemo treatments, a double mastectomy and 33 radiation treatments, I have been on Tamoxifen for 7 months. The hot flashes are getting better at times, and I'm taking Gapapentin for my hot flashes, the back and hip pain is horrible , I have put on 20lbs, I go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week and ride my horse 3 times a week, but all forced . I feel bad pretty much all the time. Always sick to my stomach . Working out makes me feel more sick, but I push thru it anyway. No matter what I do I can't drop weight. I'm in the process of loosing my eyelashes for the 4th time . I use to have pretty, thick hair and now it's thin. My memory is horrible. I hate this life."

Vandygirl123 April 15, 2016

"I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years after a Mastectomy for Estrogen based Breast cancer. During the last years and ongoing I have been overwhelmed with fatty tumors. Some are growing at a rapid rate and some that were soft are turning hard?? They are on my rib cage, my abdomen, my legs and 1 or 2 on my arms. I seem to be the only one concerned."

Lisa C. (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 31, 2016

"I have been in tamoxifen for 5 months now and it truly is difficult to isolate the side effects of the drug alone due to the fact that I was peri menopausal prior to being diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer with micro metastasis in one lymph node. I am 52 years old. My primary complaint is insomnia. I have become a light sleeper, waking up 10-20 each night. While I am able to fall asleep again, I never feel as though I have had a deep, restful sleep. I take my tamoxifen in the morning after I brush my teeth. A year post diagnosis which included surgery (partial mastectomy), chemotherapy, 25 rounds of radiation and now tamoxifen, I have endeavoured to train for an Iroman race in August. I am getting stronger every day"

Josi and the Pussycats March 3, 2016

"Was for 5 yrs, increased to 10yrs, I'm in year 7. Had 3 lumpectomies within 3 month span, had chemo, radiation, plus 1 year of Herceptin for Ductal carcinoma in situ T2 HER2+ I am alive and plan on staying that way. After much research and talking to doctors, the conclusion is that Chemo and Tamoxifen seem to have precipitated other chronic illnesses, Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, OsteoArthirtis, Osteopenia, Clinical depression, Gastroenteritis, worsened IBS and PTSD. My legs, lower back & fingers are usually swollen and usually in pain. I wanted off the Tamoxifen, due to the weakness in my legs & Fatigue. No other was as effective in inhibiting estrogen. I still lose my hair, gained 130lbs, I'm in a wheelchair. I'm alive. 3 yrs to go"

Marilyn MM September 15, 2015

"I have been on Tamoxefin for 40 days... Here's my story: I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer (98% estrogen fed) in Alr 2015. I did not need chemo or radiation. I was told after surgery (June 2015) that I had to take "Tomy" for 5 years. I fought the idea, but eventually decided to give it a try. So far, the main complaint I have is fatigue. I take it at night and that's helps... Some joint pain, vaginal discharge (clear mostly) and the BEST thing about Tommy is that it has calms me down. I am about 30% of the energized person I was before. I no longer get feel like I need to solve the worlds problems in a day! So, I can honesty say, that's a big plus! ... WEIGHT CHANGES: I became Vegan and did not loose any weight! :(("

Tough girl proven wrong September 14, 2015

"I have been on tamoxifen for almost a year now. I experience hot flashes. Which can be unbearable at times. I have joint pain which make it hard to walk. I also have gain about 10 to 15 pounds since I have been taking this medicine."

Pammy25 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2015

"I started taking Tamoxifen in September of 2013. The side effects kicked in after about a week. My fingers completely seized up and if I crouched down I couldn't get up again! The joint pain was unbearable so my oncologist decided to take me off it for 6 months. He then introduced it gradually, 10mg a day instead of 20mg. So far so good! After 6 months of that he put me back up to the full dose and the pain didn't return! I've been on it ever since. My periods are here and there but are quite heavy and painful when I do get them. I wish they'd just stop. Just keeping everything crossed that the cancer stays away. Good luck to all you fellow survivors and keep fighting the fight! "

Neekie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2015

"I've been on this drug for nine miserable months now. I had said I would try it for one year and I'm not sure I can make that. It appears that quality of life is not something my doctor cares about. It's almost as if he's being paid by the tamoxifen people because he won't even listen to anything negative about the drug. My hot flashes are unbelievable. My joint pain makes it difficult to walk. I haven't slept in nearly a year. This drug makes life not worth living."

I hate Tamoxifen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2015

"I had Stage 1 IDC Breast Cancer, diagnosed in June 2013, mastectomies in August 2013, started tamoxifen October 2013. After experiencing stomach digestive issues I went off it in March 2014 until August, then back on and have been on it ever since. So almost 1 year straight, but another 5 months of it before that as well. My biggest complaint is feeling so wiped out by the end of the day. I take it at night when going to bed, usually 10pm-ish. Does anyone think switching the time I take the pill will matter? I have also noticed a 5-10 pound weight gain. I'm very active and fit - lift weights, run, do crossfit. I have found that the side effects of this drug are forcing me to live and eat cleaner to try and reduce them."

CarrieFitz July 27, 2015

"I have male breast cancer. I do find it uncomfortable to only read about ladies issues, but understandable. I have found that I feel depressed, and mood swings for sure. Upset tummy is common, so try to keep hydrated. Seem to get lethargic, tired around 3-5pm, but take my medication just before bed, 10-11pm. May consider changing this. Given the alternatives and worrying how my family would cope without me as the bread winner, makes the decision to continue to take it an easy one. I am not going to give in to it. I'm 59, and lost my brother to it aged 39. Played my first 70 min game of tennis today in 14 months, and really found it made a difference. So maybe keeping fit is one way of fighting back."

Silverfox 2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2015

"I've been on Tamoxifen for a year now. A few joint aches but all in all not too many problems. When I started the medicine I was a Pescitarian( only at fish or seafood) I have maybe two hot flashes at night. I take my pill at 5pm daily. I too was told I need to be on it for 10 years. Considering the alternative, I don't have too many bad things to say about it. Glad to be cancer free!! Hope this keeps me that way. Turning 50 in three days!!"

Jillbean34 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2015

"I'm on my 6th year taking Tamoxifen. I was on it for 5 years, and stopped - at that time it was thought I should only take it for 5yrs. A year after being off and the new research came out that I should do it another 5 years. I've been back on now for about 6 months and I'm seriously considering stopping. Side effects are so bad that I'm having a hard time getting through life. Mood swings and bone pain are my 2 main issues. The thing is, I'm cancer free and of course want to stay that way. I think that if my Doctors were more realistic (honest) about the side effects it would be a little easier to deal with them. Reading some of the statements here is helpful actually - I feel a little less alone."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 23, 2014

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am 41. I had been on Effexor for a couple of years, so when I was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer I carried on with the medication. I started taking Tamoxifen about a month ago. So far I am very fatigued, have headaches and some physical aches and pains. I take my Tamoxifen in the morning, with my breakfast, because that seems to calm the nausea that I can get with an empty stomach. The best thing that I am experiencing now that I am on the Tamoxifen is the ability to cry and work through emotion. That ability had left me while I was just on the Effexor, I still felt sad, but didn't feel like I could cry. Well the tears come now, and they feel cleansing and good. I have much less anxiety about having a cancer re-occurrence."

Lala1234567458 June 27, 2014

"The wisest decision I can share is changing WHEN I take the tamoxifen. I decided that sleep was imperative in order to deal with the side effects. I take the tamoxifen during the day I live in CA so temp- wise this is a good thing to do. Running hot is an understatement. Skin and hair have taken a hit as the hips have improved. Suspect no juice to connective tissues is the reason also arthritis has shown up in both knees. One perk? Evenness of mood after 2 years. My 10 rating? No recurrence as of 2.5 years."

HOT HOT HOT (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2014

"I'm 29, was diagnosed with Breast Cancer when I was 26. I probably have been on Tamoxifen for a year. I have a hard time taking it regularly because of the side effects. The hot flashes are almost unbearable, my mood swings push people away, my sex drive has decreased extensively. I am taking this medicine to prevent my cancer from returning. I have a 3 year old boy that I live and breath each day for and the reason I will continue taking medicine. But Tamoxifen does make me miserable."

Anonymous March 19, 2014

Nolvadex (tamoxifen): "Bones hurt a lot, hot flashes were really bad."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 14, 2014

"I have been on Tamoxifen for four months now & have been told I will be taking it for the standard 5yrs. I have had hot flashes, no period (that stopped after my second Chemo in April 2013), sex drive has disappeared (also from Chemo & Tamoxifen combined) and I have had pelvic pain (tend to be more apparent when I lay on my back), joint pain(in my elbow and where legs join pelvic) and lower back pain. I am hoping that some of these side effects will soon subside. Wow, it is amazing all the different side effects that Tamoxifen causes for people. Reading a lot of these comments has made me now realize that all the pains & aches I have been having, truly are side effects from the Tamoxifen. It's nice to know I'm not alone! "

DOLSSON (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2014

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was on Tamoxifen for 4 1/2 years after I had my chemo. There were a lot of side effects after stopping estrogen, dry skin, loss of libido, edgy feeling. When I started taking Tamoxifen I felt much better. I didn't feel edgy as the Tamoxifen tricked my body into feeling like it had estrogen. I had hot flashes but did not feel them. My friends would tell me I must have had a hot flash because my face turned red, I highly recommend this medicine. I felt much better on it."

Guardian angel 43 July 11, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am going on 5 years taking this medication religiously. I was diagnosed with Stage 2B ductal carcinoma, invading my chest wall and 3 lymph nodes in 2008. So far, cancer free. The side effects are minimal. My skin is drier and I do feel aged but I also had my ovaries removed after testing for BRCA2 so I think it might be due to that also. I want to continue taking for another 5 years since I'm only 34."

iSurvivor May 31, 2013

"I took Tamoxifen for 5 years with very little side effects. I had some weight gain, but nothing I could not handle. I had hot flashes in the beginning, but finally went away."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 8, 2013

"Going on month two now... It made me very tired (loss of vitality) but it is much better now; had constipation but increased my fiber, water and exercise - all is well as long as I do this; joint pain in my hips but is better with the exercise, nausea - I had a little when I started, it got better and now it is back and worse - I have started taking Pepto-Bismol and it has helped - you can try mint (candy, gum); anxiety - happens occasionally but so far tolerable. It is always best to speak to your health professional before trying the above."

merrimansf1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2012

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate