User Reviews for Tamoxifen to treat Breast Cancer

Also known as: Soltamox

Tamoxifen Rating Summary

4.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Tamoxifen

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

“Tamoxifen is awful”

Ashley · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 12, 2020

“I was diagnosed with stage 2 DCIS in 2015. I had a mastectomy, chemo, & radiation. I have been on Tamoxifen for 4-years. I’ve experienced hot flashes, vaginal dryness & tearing, dry mouth, urge incontinence, thinning hair, etc. But, the hair on my legs is also thinner! ”

Vee · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

“All the adjuvant therapies that were offered to me scared the life out of me. I changed my diet, de-stressed, meditated, exercised, and don't dwell on having had a lump. From now on, it's about quality of life. It's information like this (under 'adverse reactions') that makes me glad I trusted my gut: drugs.com search for Soltamox, then look at profession, and then look under side effects ”

Mel · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 18, 2019

“I had grade 1 breast cancer in Feb and had lumpectomy and 2 lymph nodes removed. I had good news in June that they were all clear after radiation. I'm now been on tamoxafen since July. At first there was no side effects. Then the sweats got worse, I had trouble sleeping, pain in my back and fingers. Then I had a cramp like pain in my leg. I had the all clear from GP that leg was fine. I went to Mexico in August and and my both legs were so painful that I had to limp. In the mornings that I came home and went straight to a&e where I was told I had blood clots in each lung and the right one inflamed. I'm now on blood thinner injections for 6 months and may need tablets after that, all because of tamoxafen I was told. Anyone else experienced this?”

cricking · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2019

“I just started taking tamoxifen only 5 days and I broke out in a rash and bumps so will be calling Dr tomorrow to find out if this is normal and will go away. I know somethings take time and will go away we will see I told him if I have side effects I will cut the dosage from 20 to 10 and then to 5 he said I could do that something is better then not doing anything thou the percentage will be less of a reoccurrence of breast cancer coming backThis is a scary thing to have to go through, for anyone.”

Mad as hell · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2019

“I am so angry. A oncologist recommended this horrible drug. She said if you don't you will die a painful death. My mother was 85 years old and couldn't fight this medicine. It is straight out absolutely awful drug. Why, I want an appointment with this doctor with my Mum. She is in hospice care at this moment. It hasn't even been one year since the first treatment. Which hospitalized her for 14 days. It almost killed her. DO NOT TAKE IT> If she lives till Christmas I will be surprised. She is dying a painful death now.”

Tea · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2019

“Horrible joint pain in wrists and arms. Unbearable. . . I feel as if my wrists are broken.”

Jina · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 25, 2019

“Have been taking tamoxifen for 3&1/2 yrs, my Estrogen levels are going through the roof, I’m anxious all the time, put on weight and very hard to lose. My liver shudders at night like I have been drinking hard.”

Msme · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2019

“Hello out there, I was diagnosed this year with stage 2DC. I’ve now gone through almost an entire year of treatment chemo/radiation, which has been has been hell. Now my doctor is “strongly” recommending Tamoxifen. Before reading all these experiences, I already had my doubts. I don’t know about anyone else, but I want my life back! Living like a prisoner for another 5 years is not for me. I thank and admire all who had the courage to write about these experiences, STAY BRAVE!”

Georgia Peach · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 6, 2019

“I was diagnosed with a stage 2 Ductal carcinoma. Lumpectomy and 2 lymph nodes were removed. I was started on Tamoxifen 30 days before my surgery. Since my cancer was hormone driven. Tamoxifen was required in addition of 25 rounds of radiation. Hot flashes that I can feel coming on worse with stress. Problems with my fingers and pain in my joints. My finger nails crumble and splinter easily. I am always fatigued and have to drink an energy drink just to function. I have had 6 biopsies since my surgery. I have a lot of scar tissue. My skin still burns 4 years after my radiation. I will be glad when I am off this drug. God Bless All Of Whom That Are Going Through It. One lady said to me more birthdays.”

Bev · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2019

“Cancer Center of America told me to take tamoxifen with melatonin (20mg), I take 10mg both at night before I go to bed. It's been hard with the hot flashes and mood swings. It's been a month and I'm trying to follow Dr orders. Every day I want to stop taking it but I don't. Say a prayer before taking it and pray for no side affects.”

K929 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 8, 2019

“I was diagnosed with breast cancer stage 1a idc at 39 yrs old. I know this is an important part of my treatment and reoccurrence prevention but this drug makes me feel awful. You name the side effect I have every single one. There has to be a better option.”

Beyoncestar81 · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2019

“I was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year. I’ve already had a nipple sparring mastectomy. My doctor recommended chemo, but I refused. I’m only stage 0, stage 1, and my lymph nodes came back negative. Now my Oncologist wants me to take Tamoxifen for 10 years. Most of the reviews here are negative, but I will give it a try, and hope for the best.”

Eve April 13, 2019

“My mom took this drug for 5 years, and in 2017 was diagnosed with a rare form of uterine cancer called uterine carcinosarcoma. Was her uterine cancer was caused by the tamoxifen? My mother was a beautiful 61 year old woman that was full of life but, sadly I lost her because of tamoxifen. They say its rare to develop uterine cancer from tamoxifen but I just lost my mom. It's not that rare do your research a lot of women have been harmed by this drug.”

Jules · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 25, 2019

“About 3 weeks after starting tamoxifin, I would wake up at night with night sweats and just insomnia and I noticed that I was definitely more hungry and craving junk food which in turn caused me to gain about 5 pounds. I could have lived with these side effects but then I started flying off the handle with my children at the drop of a hat. My reactions were crazy. I am normally generally mellow and easy going. Then after about 4 months I noticed I was having trouble focusing at work and was in a brain fog. It was mild at first but continued to progress to where I would fall asleep regularly at my desk. I decided for the sake of my new job, I am a widow and sole provider, that I needed to go off off it for awhile. After about 2 weeks my life started returning to normal. I occasionally try to take it again but then after a few weeks of starting it the side affects return. I really wish more options were available to me to prevent the recurrence of breast cancer.”

MK · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2019

“Was on tamoxifen for five hellish weeks and had every side effect except hot flashes. My body hurt, I couldn't sleep, I was angry all of the time so my oncologist wisely agreed with my decision to stop the drug. Quality of life was so bad.”

Patsy · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 30, 2018

“Had hot flashes or hot all the time, thinning hair, overwhelming fatigue, pain in the jaw, confusion and strange thinking. Thought and said things differently than I normally would have and I couldn't sleep even though I was always tired. Didn't have any energy and I always had energy before but it was a chore just to make myself move. Kept saying I'm so tired. Just found these sites and it is helping me to understand how Tamoxifen affects do many so differently. Thank God my husband and family were kind during this time. I was on Tamoxifen about 20 months when I asked the doctor to let me get off of it and since I am 80 she decided to honor my request.”

Anonymous September 12, 2018

“I took Tamoxifen for 3 years. I took myself off of it because of the painful side effects. They began within 3-4 months after starting the med. The worse for me was the bone pain that would be so severe that it would wake me up during the night. Also the severe pelvic pain would be so severe at times it would literally bring me to my knees suddenly. I eventually took myself off the Tamoxifen and within a few weeks all side effects were gone. Within a few months I started to fracture bones and developed osteopenia. 5 years later I am borderline osteoporosis and the cancer never really left. Someone mentioned having pain in their jaw. Now they want me to take Tamoxifen or an aromatase inhibitor again. I am considering taking one of the above only 2-3 days a week. Has anyone done that I would appreciate it if anyone has a comment on taking less of a dosage or less frequency. Thank You”

Moore · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 3, 2018

“I was diagnosed for her2-positive breast cancer and October of 2017 I went through chemo as well as radiation chemo which was a horrible radiation that my body tolerated 4 months ago. I was introduced to this drug tamoxifen. I've been feeling horrible every since. I feel like I have had a stroke on my right side my brain hurts I have trouble thinking even completing daily tasks. I wake up to dizzy spells and hot flashes. Blurred vision, change in color vision, stomach pain, Headache.Hot flashes, vaginal discharge. Pain or bone pain. Loss of interest in sex Trouble with sleeping. I will not continue treatment it's not worth it.”

Happy out. · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 1, 2018

“I have been on this drug for one year. Have pain, weight gain, lack of sleep, tiredness, but I am alive. I think it gets easier as time passes. I try to remain positive.”

Mona · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 15, 2018

“For those of you who only had menopausal side effects - hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, dry skin - great. I had all that plus anxiety attacks, depression, headaches that made migraines seem like a walk in the part, hair loss, muscle aches and cramps, fatigue that made it difficult to just walk to the bathroom, blurred vision (I had already had cataracts removed). The list goes on and on, but to compound it, when I told my doctors, they said, "oh, tamoxifen doesn't cause that. I gave them the list of side effects with the ones I had marked, and it was thrown in the waste basket in front of me. Now that I have quit taking it, the side effects come and go. They can and do return over and over again about every two - three months, and last two - three months. My doctors told me none of this, so if you are contemplating taking it, do the research first. I wish I had.”

10095 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 5, 2018

“I had Breast Cancer in 2004 Ductal in situ so I was very lucky I had a breast removal then radiation and 5 years on Tamoxifen. I was 48 at the time but very fit and had already gone through an early menopause so the drug did give me symptoms although I had not suffered any when going through the menopause I had hot flushes mild night sweats mood swings and put on a lot of weight! But it was all worth it to survive and I soon got my figure back when I stopped it after 5 years. All I would say is treat these side effects as the menopause and you will find they ease. Avoid spicy, food, alcohol and wear layers of clothes so when you get hot you can slip something off. Stay very active my own weight gain happened when I slowed up my exercise also I found sage tea very good for cooling down. Please, Ladies, stick with it and stay well”

Maria 62 February 4, 2018

“I have been on tamoxifen for nearly 5 years now , and can honestly say I have not experienced any side effects , I have opted to carry on taking this drug for another 5. years to prevent my breast cancer returning, I do have a bit of trouble sleeping but I am putting that down to going through the change . Reading the comments on here I think that I am 1 of the lucky people that it hasn’t had a horrible effect on .”

AmyB123 August 15, 2017

“Diagnosed at age 40 (in 2012) with Stage IIa Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. E/P+ HER2 -”

Tamoxitoxic · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 1, 2017

“This drug is nonsense. They tell you the side-effects are minimal and easy to deal with - as long as you tell your doctor. Well, it's been three years and the only thing the oncologist has recommended for me is psychotherapy (apparently because I complain too much). Now I have to have a hysterectomy because I have "unusual" growths in my uterus. I look like I'm seven months pregnant and am now having to shop in the maternity department. I'm not pregnant, BTW. Evert joint in my body aches and I sweat at least a gallon a day. I've had to buy a new mattress and pillows since I ruined them (with night sweats). To top it off, my oncologist doesn't think any of this is caused by Tamoxifen. I am tearing out the little bit of hair I have left.”

Learn more about Breast Cancer

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)