User Reviews for Tamoxifen

Also known as: Emblon, Genox, Nolvadex, Nolvadex D, Soltamox, Tamofen, Tamone, Tamosin, Tamoxen, Tamoxifen Hexal

Learn more about Tamoxifen.

Breast Cancer, Adjuvant 2 reviews 18 medications

8.3
Breast Cancer, Prevention 8 reviews 1 medications

8.3
Breast Cancer 31 reviews 56 medications

6.4
Summary of Tamoxifen reviews 41 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Tamoxifen

For Breast Cancer: "I found my lump before Christmas. It was in the milk duct, 2 surgeries weeks apart to remove both lumps, painful. Tamoxifen is horrible! Always sweating, barely sleeping. I already had a hard time with insomnia, now this drug has made things worse. Started taking this in April. I will start taking the drug in the morning instead of at night. Hopefully, I may be able to get some sleep through the night without having to change sheets nightly. After readIng the other posts, this explains my constipation, lack of energy. Will see what kind of meds or herbal product I can take for the hot flashes, getting unbearable."

Aunt. Fran (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Its one year im on Tamoxifen . I will manage all side effects that i have as hot flash, join pain , back pain , mood swing . My goal is to live longer and see my son's future . Im 46 year old . I try not to think about pain and side effects till im really get tired from pain . Only thing im scared is pain . The rest i will manage . Good luck to all of you ! Life is beautifull and fight for it ."

AngieKendrick July 4, 2016

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: "I've been taking Tamoxifen for 10 months now. At first, I seemed okay. The doctor prescribed Effexor at the same time to combat any menopausal symptoms. I fell into a bad funk. SEVERE depression and not sleeping. I stopped taking the Effexor (doctor wasn't too happy) thinking that was causing some adverse effects. He put me on Trazodone 50 mg for sleep. That worked for a short period of time so they upped the dosage to 100 mg at night. However, my depression is tenfold. I'm so irritable and angry all the time. The slightest thing sets me off. I can't stand to be around people. I can't concentrate and my appetite has decreased. I've lost about 8 pounds. I just don't feel right, ever, anymore. I have to stay on this for 5 years."

Anonymous June 20, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I have been taking Tax for 6months. I won't lie having a mastectomy was easier then the meds, but the alternative is worst . My biggest complaint is fatigue and moodiness , training for an Half Ironman has it's challenges but I think the daily training helps me in so many ways, I don't have joint pain and other major SE. I like the open discussion format as Doctor's are really up in all of the side effects as each person is different . It is nice to hear from others the mood swings , thought I was gong crazy... Hard on family for sure. I just keep on trucking ... Good to hear from others."

Boobya June 12, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on Tamoxifen for three months. I was put on it because of my increased risk for developing breast cancer. I have had no side effects at all. I also feel much calmer and relaxed. Before my period I would get very emotional and moody. Since I no longer have periods, I no longer experience this. I seem to be craving candy, but probably just trying to blame my sweet tooth on something besides my lack of will power. I have also lost 8 pounds."

No problems April 20, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I was diagnosed with DC breast cancer in November 2014. After 6 chemo treatments, a double mastectomy and 33 radiation treatments, I have been on Tamoxifen for 7 months. The hot flashes are getting better at times, and I'm taking Gapapentin for my hot flashes, the back and hip pain is horrible , I have put on 20lbs, I go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week and ride my horse 3 times a week, but all forced . I feel bad pretty much all the time. Always sick to my stomach . Working out makes me feel more sick, but I push thru it anyway. No matter what I do I can't drop weight. I'm in the process of loosing my eyelashes for the 4th time . I use to have pretty, thick hair and now it's thin. My memory is horrible. I hate this life."

Vandygirl123 April 15, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years after a Mastectomy for Estrogen based Breast cancer. During the last years and ongoing I have been overwhelmed with fatty tumors. Some are growing at a rapid rate and some that were soft are turning hard?? They are on my rib cage, my abdomen, my legs and 1 or 2 on my arms. I seem to be the only one concerned."

Lisa C. (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 31, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I have been in tamoxifen for 5 months now and it truly is difficult to isolate the side effects of the drug alone due to the fact that I was peri menopausal prior to being diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer with micro metastasis in one lymph node. I am 52 years old. My primary complaint is insomnia. I have become a light sleeper, waking up 10-20 each night. While I am able to fall asleep again, I never feel as though I have had a deep, restful sleep. I take my tamoxifen in the morning after I brush my teeth. A year post diagnosis which included surgery (partial mastectomy), chemotherapy, 25 rounds of radiation and now tamoxifen, I have endeavoured to train for an Iroman race in August. I am getting stronger every day"

Josi and the Pussycats March 3, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Was for 5 yrs, increased to 10yrs, I'm in year 7. Had 3 lumpectomies within 3 month span, had chemo, radiation, plus 1 year of Herceptin for Ductal carcinoma in situ T2 HER2+ I am alive and plan on staying that way. After much research and talking to doctors, the conclusion is that Chemo and Tamoxifen seem to have precipitated other chronic illnesses, Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, OsteoArthirtis, Osteopenia, Clinical depression, Gastroenteritis, worsened IBS and PTSD. My legs, lower back & fingers are usually swollen and usually in pain. I wanted off the Tamoxifen, due to the weakness in my legs & Fatigue. No other was as effective in inhibiting estrogen. I still lose my hair, gained 130lbs, I'm in a wheelchair. I'm alive. 3 yrs to go"

Marilyn MM September 15, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on Tamoxefin for 40 days... Here's my story: I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer (98% estrogen fed) in Alr 2015. I did not need chemo or radiation. I was told after surgery (June 2015) that I had to take "Tomy" for 5 years. I fought the idea, but eventually decided to give it a try. So far, the main complaint I have is fatigue. I take it at night and that's helps... Some joint pain, vaginal discharge (clear mostly) and the BEST thing about Tommy is that it has calms me down. I am about 30% of the energized person I was before. I no longer get feel like I need to solve the worlds problems in a day! So, I can honesty say, that's a big plus! ... WEIGHT CHANGES: I became Vegan and did not loose any weight! :(("

Tough girl proven wrong September 14, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on tamoxifen for almost a year now. I experience hot flashes. Which can be unbearable at times. I have joint pain which make it hard to walk. I also have gain about 10 to 15 pounds since I have been taking this medicine."

Pammy25 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "I started taking Tamoxifen in September of 2013. The side effects kicked in after about a week. My fingers completely seized up and if I crouched down I couldn't get up again! The joint pain was unbearable so my oncologist decided to take me off it for 6 months. He then introduced it gradually, 10mg a day instead of 20mg. So far so good! After 6 months of that he put me back up to the full dose and the pain didn't return! I've been on it ever since. My periods are here and there but are quite heavy and painful when I do get them. I wish they'd just stop. Just keeping everything crossed that the cancer stays away. Good luck to all you fellow survivors and keep fighting the fight! "

Neekie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "I've been on this drug for nine miserable months now. I had said I would try it for one year and I'm not sure I can make that. It appears that quality of life is not something my doctor cares about. It's almost as if he's being paid by the tamoxifen people because he won't even listen to anything negative about the drug. My hot flashes are unbelievable. My joint pain makes it difficult to walk. I haven't slept in nearly a year. This drug makes life not worth living."

I hate Tamoxifen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2015

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: "I have been on Tamoxifen for 4 1/2 years I have insomnia mood swings and other small side effects. I can't wait till my 5 years is up I stayed on this pill because I want my risk of cancer to be low. My family has been very kind and patient with me. The worst side effect is cramping throughout my body."

basketball100000 August 10, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "I had Stage 1 IDC Breast Cancer, diagnosed in June 2013, mastectomies in August 2013, started tamoxifen October 2013. After experiencing stomach digestive issues I went off it in March 2014 until August, then back on and have been on it ever since. So almost 1 year straight, but another 5 months of it before that as well. My biggest complaint is feeling so wiped out by the end of the day. I take it at night when going to bed, usually 10pm-ish. Does anyone think switching the time I take the pill will matter? I have also noticed a 5-10 pound weight gain. I'm very active and fit - lift weights, run, do crossfit. I have found that the side effects of this drug are forcing me to live and eat cleaner to try and reduce them."

CarrieFitz July 27, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "I have male breast cancer. I do find it uncomfortable to only read about ladies issues, but understandable. I have found that I feel depressed, and mood swings for sure. Upset tummy is common, so try to keep hydrated. Seem to get lethargic, tired around 3-5pm, but take my medication just before bed, 10-11pm. May consider changing this. Given the alternatives and worrying how my family would cope without me as the bread winner, makes the decision to continue to take it an easy one. I am not going to give in to it. I'm 59, and lost my brother to it aged 39. Played my first 70 min game of tennis today in 14 months, and really found it made a difference. So maybe keeping fit is one way of fighting back."

Silverfox 2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2015

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "I am 41 years old and like many who have already posted, wished the doctors would just be more up front regarding the side effects. I think it would be more manageable, as sometimes I think I am crazy. I have had peeling of my hands, foot swelling, foot pain, decreased sex drive, fatigue, and yeast infections. I have taken Tamoxifen for 2 years and am on the 10 year study. My children are my motivation for taking this medicine."

Still cancer free (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 15, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "I've been on Tamoxifen for a year now. A few joint aches but all in all not too many problems. When I started the medicine I was a Pescitarian( only at fish or seafood) I have maybe two hot flashes at night. I take my pill at 5pm daily. I too was told I need to be on it for 10 years. Considering the alternative, I don't have too many bad things to say about it. Glad to be cancer free!! Hope this keeps me that way. Turning 50 in three days!!"

Jillbean34 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2015

For Breast Cancer: "I'm on my 6th year taking Tamoxifen. I was on it for 5 years, and stopped - at that time it was thought I should only take it for 5yrs. A year after being off and the new research came out that I should do it another 5 years. I've been back on now for about 6 months and I'm seriously considering stopping. Side effects are so bad that I'm having a hard time getting through life. Mood swings and bone pain are my 2 main issues. The thing is, I'm cancer free and of course want to stay that way. I think that if my Doctors were more realistic (honest) about the side effects it would be a little easier to deal with them. Reading some of the statements here is helpful actually - I feel a little less alone."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 23, 2014

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: "I have been taking tamoxifen for less than a month. I have had fatigue, chills, shortness of breath, night sweats, blurred vision, difficulty sleeping. It seems as if I get over one side effect and here comes another. I feel like I am going crazy. I am trying to stick with it, but it keeps changing."

queen lala September 14, 2014

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: "I have taken Tamoxifen for 5 years. Side effects are severe sweating and depression. I have been taking Effexor XR longer than I have been on Tamoxifen. My Oncologist increased the Effexor dosage from 75 mg to 150 mg per day. She assure me the Effexor and Black Cohoosh would STOP the sweating...NOT. SWEATING INCREASED AND I AM MORE DEPRESSED THAN EVER. I had a sonogram last month that revealed a very small fibroid and fluid in my uterus. Got an appointment with GYN next week to see how she wants to handle the uterus problem. "

Quiltartist (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2014

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: "I have been on it for almost 2 months. Had some night sweats but continue with fatigue, dizziness, some sadness, short temper. I am supplementing with Vit E and B6 daily. I will give it more time but not sure I will manage 5 yrs. I certainly do not wish to go on additional pills to manage side effects."

Gemini2715 September 4, 2014

For Breast Cancer: "I am 41. I had been on Effexor for a couple of years, so when I was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer I carried on with the medication. I started taking Tamoxifen about a month ago. So far I am very fatigued, have headaches and some physical aches and pains. I take my Tamoxifen in the morning, with my breakfast, because that seems to calm the nausea that I can get with an empty stomach. The best thing that I am experiencing now that I am on the Tamoxifen is the ability to cry and work through emotion. That ability had left me while I was just on the Effexor, I still felt sad, but didn't feel like I could cry. Well the tears come now, and they feel cleansing and good. I have much less anxiety about having a cancer re-occurrence."

Lala1234567458 June 27, 2014

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "Hot flushes not to bad, suffer from fatigue and bone pain, but the medicine makes me feel safe."

Kcyorkie (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2014

For Breast Cancer: "The wisest decision I can share is changing WHEN I take the tamoxifen. I decided that sleep was imperative in order to deal with the side effects. I take the tamoxifen during the day I live in CA so temp- wise this is a good thing to do. Running hot is an understatement. Skin and hair have taken a hit as the hips have improved. Suspect no juice to connective tissues is the reason also arthritis has shown up in both knees. One perk? Evenness of mood after 2 years. My 10 rating? No recurrence as of 2.5 years."

HOT HOT HOT (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2014