User Reviews for Tamoxifen

Breast Cancer 4.9
Summary of Tamoxifen reviews 5.6 78 reviews

Reviews for Tamoxifen

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “Tamoxifen is awful”

nancy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2020

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: “I started on tamoxifen bc of tumor markers. I had heard negative comments but I wanted to give it a shot. First, I avoided reading the side effect pamphlet and instead asked my husband to read it. I know I’m the type of person that can sometimes talk myself into feeling a certain way. I had to tweak when I took it. If I took in the morning I noticed I would get lightheaded and nauseous about 2 pm. If I took at 5-6 pm, I would get very moody that evening. For me, it’s best if I take it right before bed. My dr said I don’t have to take it at the exact same time so I take whenever I’m heading up to bed. About the only thing I notice is a funny taste in my mouth sometimes but it’s not bad. For me, I figured that’s better than getting breast cancer and going though chemo. I’m grateful the tumor markers were caught early and that my system seems to be tolerating this treatment well. I’ve been on tamoxifen for 3 months.”

Ashley · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 12, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “I was diagnosed with stage 2 DCIS in 2015. I had a mastectomy, chemo, & radiation. I have been on Tamoxifen for 4-years. I’ve experienced hot flashes, vaginal dryness & tearing, dry mouth, urge incontinence, thinning hair, etc. But, the hair on my legs is also thinner! ”

Vee · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “All the adjuvant therapies that were offered to me scared the life out of me. I changed my diet, de-stressed, meditated, exercised, and don't dwell on having had a lump. From now on, it's about quality of life. It's information like this (under 'adverse reactions') that makes me glad I trusted my gut: drugs.com search for Soltamox, then look at profession, and then look under side effects ”

Nanoo · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2020

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: “I just started taking Tamoxifen about a week ago. I am always nauseous, I am noticing my hair thinning since I started, my jaw hurts and the pelvic pains are so uncomfortable. I am always crying and saying things I would never say. I will need to speak to my doctor and see if there are other alternatives. Hopefully there is.”

Mel · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 18, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I had grade 1 breast cancer in Feb and had lumpectomy and 2 lymph nodes removed. I had good news in June that they were all clear after radiation. I'm now been on tamoxafen since July. At first there was no side effects. Then the sweats got worse, I had trouble sleeping, pain in my back and fingers. Then I had a cramp like pain in my leg. I had the all clear from GP that leg was fine. I went to Mexico in August and and my both legs were so painful that I had to limp. In the mornings that I came home and went straight to a&e where I was told I had blood clots in each lung and the right one inflamed. I'm now on blood thinner injections for 6 months and may need tablets after that, all because of tamoxafen I was told. Anyone else experienced this?”

cricking · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I just started taking tamoxifen only 5 days and I broke out in a rash and bumps so will be calling Dr tomorrow to find out if this is normal and will go away. I know somethings take time and will go away we will see I told him if I have side effects I will cut the dosage from 20 to 10 and then to 5 he said I could do that something is better then not doing anything thou the percentage will be less of a reoccurrence of breast cancer coming backThis is a scary thing to have to go through, for anyone.”

Mad as hell · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I am so angry. A oncologist recommended this horrible drug. She said if you don't you will die a painful death. My mother was 85 years old and couldn't fight this medicine. It is straight out absolutely awful drug. Why, I want an appointment with this doctor with my Mum. She is in hospice care at this moment. It hasn't even been one year since the first treatment. Which hospitalized her for 14 days. It almost killed her. DO NOT TAKE IT> If she lives till Christmas I will be surprised. She is dying a painful death now.”

Tea · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “Horrible joint pain in wrists and arms. Unbearable. . . I feel as if my wrists are broken.”

Jina · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 25, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “Have been taking tamoxifen for 3&1/2 yrs, my Estrogen levels are going through the roof, I’m anxious all the time, put on weight and very hard to lose. My liver shudders at night like I have been drinking hard.”

Funny Girl · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 25, 2019

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: “I was on Tamoxifen for 7 years after trying a newer arimatase inhibitor (arimidex) which I found very challenging. It gave me Achilles tendenitis and I quit it after a few months and changed to Tamoxifen. I never had any side effects on the tamoxifen-- none. And after 7 years my bone density in my hip increased by 9% -- a nice side benefit of Tamoxifen. Sorry to hear that so many have had problems. It was a walk in the park for me.”

Msme · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “Hello out there, I was diagnosed this year with stage 2DC. I’ve now gone through almost an entire year of treatment chemo/radiation, which has been has been hell. Now my doctor is “strongly” recommending Tamoxifen. Before reading all these experiences, I already had my doubts. I don’t know about anyone else, but I want my life back! Living like a prisoner for another 5 years is not for me. I thank and admire all who had the courage to write about these experiences, STAY BRAVE!”

Georgia Peach · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 6, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I was diagnosed with a stage 2 Ductal carcinoma. Lumpectomy and 2 lymph nodes were removed. I was started on Tamoxifen 30 days before my surgery. Since my cancer was hormone driven. Tamoxifen was required in addition of 25 rounds of radiation. Hot flashes that I can feel coming on worse with stress. Problems with my fingers and pain in my joints. My finger nails crumble and splinter easily. I am always fatigued and have to drink an energy drink just to function. I have had 6 biopsies since my surgery. I have a lot of scar tissue. My skin still burns 4 years after my radiation. I will be glad when I am off this drug. God Bless All Of Whom That Are Going Through It. One lady said to me more birthdays.”

Mainah · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2019

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: “Was prescribed 5 mg/day based on the recent Italian study that showed this dosage was equally effective as 20 mg/day, with side effects similar to placebo. Happy to report zero side effects after the first month. No mood swings, not hot flashes, no night sweats. I'm 57, postmenopausal and only have had a few mild hot flashes ever, before Tamoxifen.”

Bev · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “Cancer Center of America told me to take tamoxifen with melatonin (20mg), I take 10mg both at night before I go to bed. It's been hard with the hot flashes and mood swings. It's been a month and I'm trying to follow Dr orders. Every day I want to stop taking it but I don't. Say a prayer before taking it and pray for no side affects.”

ESeard · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 14, 2019

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: “I've been on Tamoxifen for about a year as hormonal blockade for stage 1 invasive ductal carcinoma (small, but grade 3). At first, I just had insomnia, which is being treated with Ambien and Remeron. Now, I'm getting crushing fatigue, TMJ, and hip bursitis after I walk (about 2-3 miles on most days). I've also had a posterior vitreous detachment, first on left eye, then on right. The line I'm getting from oncology is: Those are symptoms of ageing; everyone has those, and it is not Tamoxifen that is causing it. Well, I went on a trip and stopped it for 3 weeks. Walking about 4 miles daily, on the go, and I didn't have the pain. Started Tamoxifen again, and it all came back within a month. Very frustrating, but I'm afraid not to take it.”

K929 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 8, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I was diagnosed with breast cancer stage 1a idc at 39 yrs old. I know this is an important part of my treatment and reoccurrence prevention but this drug makes me feel awful. You name the side effect I have every single one. There has to be a better option.”

Beyoncestar81 · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year. I’ve already had a nipple sparring mastectomy. My doctor recommended chemo, but I refused. I’m only stage 0, stage 1, and my lymph nodes came back negative. Now my Oncologist wants me to take Tamoxifen for 10 years. Most of the reviews here are negative, but I will give it a try, and hope for the best.”

Eve April 13, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “My mom took this drug for 5 years, and in 2017 was diagnosed with a rare form of uterine cancer called uterine carcinosarcoma. Was her uterine cancer was caused by the tamoxifen? My mother was a beautiful 61 year old woman that was full of life but, sadly I lost her because of tamoxifen. They say its rare to develop uterine cancer from tamoxifen but I just lost my mom. It's not that rare do your research a lot of women have been harmed by this drug.”

Jules · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 25, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “About 3 weeks after starting tamoxifin, I would wake up at night with night sweats and just insomnia and I noticed that I was definitely more hungry and craving junk food which in turn caused me to gain about 5 pounds. I could have lived with these side effects but then I started flying off the handle with my children at the drop of a hat. My reactions were crazy. I am normally generally mellow and easy going. Then after about 4 months I noticed I was having trouble focusing at work and was in a brain fog. It was mild at first but continued to progress to where I would fall asleep regularly at my desk. I decided for the sake of my new job, I am a widow and sole provider, that I needed to go off off it for awhile. After about 2 weeks my life started returning to normal. I occasionally try to take it again but then after a few weeks of starting it the side affects return. I really wish more options were available to me to prevent the recurrence of breast cancer.”

MK · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “Was on tamoxifen for five hellish weeks and had every side effect except hot flashes. My body hurt, I couldn't sleep, I was angry all of the time so my oncologist wisely agreed with my decision to stop the drug. Quality of life was so bad.”

Patsy · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 30, 2018

For Breast Cancer: “Had hot flashes or hot all the time, thinning hair, overwhelming fatigue, pain in the jaw, confusion and strange thinking. Thought and said things differently than I normally would have and I couldn't sleep even though I was always tired. Didn't have any energy and I always had energy before but it was a chore just to make myself move. Kept saying I'm so tired. Just found these sites and it is helping me to understand how Tamoxifen affects do many so differently. Thank God my husband and family were kind during this time. I was on Tamoxifen about 20 months when I asked the doctor to let me get off of it and since I am 80 she decided to honor my request.”

Anonymous September 12, 2018

For Breast Cancer: “I took Tamoxifen for 3 years. I took myself off of it because of the painful side effects. They began within 3-4 months after starting the med. The worse for me was the bone pain that would be so severe that it would wake me up during the night. Also the severe pelvic pain would be so severe at times it would literally bring me to my knees suddenly. I eventually took myself off the Tamoxifen and within a few weeks all side effects were gone. Within a few months I started to fracture bones and developed osteopenia. 5 years later I am borderline osteoporosis and the cancer never really left. Someone mentioned having pain in their jaw. Now they want me to take Tamoxifen or an aromatase inhibitor again. I am considering taking one of the above only 2-3 days a week. Has anyone done that I would appreciate it if anyone has a comment on taking less of a dosage or less frequency. Thank You”

Moore · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 3, 2018

For Breast Cancer: “I was diagnosed for her2-positive breast cancer and October of 2017 I went through chemo as well as radiation chemo which was a horrible radiation that my body tolerated 4 months ago. I was introduced to this drug tamoxifen. I've been feeling horrible every since. I feel like I have had a stroke on my right side my brain hurts I have trouble thinking even completing daily tasks. I wake up to dizzy spells and hot flashes. Blurred vision, change in color vision, stomach pain, Headache.Hot flashes, vaginal discharge. Pain or bone pain. Loss of interest in sex Trouble with sleeping. I will not continue treatment it's not worth it.”

Happy out. · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 1, 2018

For Breast Cancer: “I have been on this drug for one year. Have pain, weight gain, lack of sleep, tiredness, but I am alive. I think it gets easier as time passes. I try to remain positive.”