User Reviews for Tamoxifen systemic

Also known as: Emblon, Genox, Nolvadex, Nolvadex D, Soltamox, Tamofen, Tamone, Tamosin, Tamoxen, Tamoxifen Hexal

Breast Cancer, Adjuvant
8.5

Breast Cancer, Prevention
8.3

Breast Cancer
5.7

Summary of Tamoxifen reviews 6.3 58 reviews

Reviews for Tamoxifen

For Breast Cancer: "Had hot flashes or hot all the time, thinning hair, overwhelming fatigue, pain in the jaw, confusion and strange thinking. Thought and said things differently than I normally would have and I couldn't sleep even though I was always tired. Didn't have any energy and I always had energy before but it was a chore just to make myself move. Kept saying I'm so tired. Just found these sites and it is helping me to understand how Tamoxifen affects do many so differently. Thank God my husband and family were kind during this time. I was on Tamoxifen about 20 months when I asked the doctor to let me get off of it and since I am 80 she decided to honor my request."

Patsy (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 30, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "I took Tamoxifen for 3 years. I took myself off of it because of the painful side effects. They began within 3-4 months after starting the med. The worse for me was the bone pain that would be so severe that it would wake me up during the night. Also the severe pelvic pain would be so severe at times it would literally bring me to my knees suddenly. I eventually took myself off the Tamoxifen and within a few weeks all side effects were gone. Within a few months I started to fracture bones and developed osteopenia. 5 years later I am borderline osteoporosis and the cancer never really left. Someone mentioned having pain in their jaw. Now they want me to take Tamoxifen or an aromatase inhibitor again. I am considering taking one of the above only 2-3 days a week. Has anyone done that I would appreciate it if anyone has a comment on taking less of a dosage or less frequency. Thank You"

Anonymous September 12, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "I was diagnosed for her2-positive breast cancer and October of 2017 I went through chemo as well as radiation chemo which was a horrible radiation that my body tolerated 4 months ago. I was introduced to this drug tamoxifen. I've been feeling horrible every since. I feel like I have had a stroke on my right side my brain hurts I have trouble thinking even completing daily tasks. I wake up to dizzy spells and hot flashes. Blurred vision, change in color vision, stomach pain, Headache.Hot flashes, vaginal discharge. Pain or bone pain. Loss of interest in sex Trouble with sleeping. I will not continue treatment it's not worth it."

Moore (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on this drug for one year. Have pain, weight gain, lack of sleep, tiredness, but I am alive. I think it gets easier as time passes. I try to remain positive."

Happy out. (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "For those of you who only had menopausal side effects - hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, dry skin - great. I had all that plus anxiety attacks, depression, headaches that made migraines seem like a walk in the part, hair loss, muscle aches and cramps, fatigue that made it difficult to just walk to the bathroom, blurred vision (I had already had cataracts removed). The list goes on and on, but to compound it, when I told my doctors, they said, "oh, tamoxifen doesn't cause that. I gave them the list of side effects with the ones I had marked, and it was thrown in the waste basket in front of me. Now that I have quit taking it, the side effects come and go. They can and do return over and over again about every two - three months, and last two - three months. My doctors told me none of this, so if you are contemplating taking it, do the research first. I wish I had."

Mona (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 15, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "I had Breast Cancer in 2004 Ductal in situ so I was very lucky I had a breast removal then radiation and 5 years on Tamoxifen. I was 48 at the time but very fit and had already gone through an early menopause so the drug did give me symptoms although I had not suffered any when going through the menopause I had hot flushes mild night sweats mood swings and put on a lot of weight! But it was all worth it to survive and I soon got my figure back when I stopped it after 5 years. All I would say is treat these side effects as the menopause and you will find they ease. Avoid spicy, food, alcohol and wear layers of clothes so when you get hot you can slip something off. Stay very active my own weight gain happened when I slowed up my exercise also I found sage tea very good for cooling down. Please, Ladies, stick with it and stay well"

10095 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 5, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on tamoxifen for nearly 5 years now , and can honestly say I have not experienced any side effects , I have opted to carry on taking this drug for another 5. years to prevent my breast cancer returning, I do have a bit of trouble sleeping but I am putting that down to going through the change . Reading the comments on here I think that I am 1 of the lucky people that it hasn’t had a horrible effect on ."

Maria 62 February 4, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "Diagnosed at age 40 (in 2012) with Stage IIa Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. E/P+ HER2 -"

AmyB123 August 15, 2017

For Breast Cancer: "This drug is nonsense. They tell you the side-effects are minimal and easy to deal with - as long as you tell your doctor. Well, it's been three years and the only thing the oncologist has recommended for me is psychotherapy (apparently because I complain too much). Now I have to have a hysterectomy because I have "unusual" growths in my uterus. I look like I'm seven months pregnant and am now having to shop in the maternity department. I'm not pregnant, BTW. Evert joint in my body aches and I sweat at least a gallon a day. I've had to buy a new mattress and pillows since I ruined them (with night sweats). To top it off, my oncologist doesn't think any of this is caused by Tamoxifen. I am tearing out the little bit of hair I have left."

Tamoxitoxic (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2017

For Breast Cancer: "I don't like this medicine. The more I took it the more I got side effects. I don't feel myself I'm going to ask my Dr if I can get off it. I've only been taking it for 1 year and I hate it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 15, 2017

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on Tamoxifen for about a year now. I have the hot flashes and the sweats, and oh yes the mood swings, but now I'm experiencing severe temporomandibular joint pain (TMJ). I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem on this medication. If so what did you do to make it go away. 2 weeks of this condition is 2 weeks to long. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for any suggestions you may have."

jwildwone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2017

For Breast Cancer: "I've been on tamoxifen for 3 1/3 years. In the beginning I was fine, but as years went on I began time have extreme fatigue, feels like it's hard to swallow at times, anxiety, can't drive due to lack of focus, and hot flashes. Oh, I forgot that I gained a lot of weight and I take Zumba classes. I told the dr. that I'm having a hard time driving and he just dismisses what I say. The nurse said that there was another patient complaining about the same thing. I have 6 1/2 more years on this medicine. I'm doing my best!"

Lynn-survivor February 24, 2017

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "I had stage 2 grade A IDC with trace evidence in sentinel node, I've been on tamoxifen for 5 years with 5 years left to go. I currently have the following side effects; hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, fatigue, blurred vision, hair loss, hair thinning, hypertriglyceridemia, bone and joint pain, and can not tolerate drug brand changes, and have had to have a total hysterectomy."

Mstrouble (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 6, 2017

For Breast Cancer: "I was on tamixifen for 5 years- It drove me into severe depression-I was delusional to the point of being in a psychiatric hospital for 1 year-no doctor at the time could find out why I was as I was! I had water retention-weight gain of 25 kilos, Fluid on my lungs-which caused coughing to the point I felt I was suffocating-insomnia, joint pain, nausea and hot flushes and to crown it all skin disorders of which the rash and sores made me look like I had HIV. Bicarbonate of Soda and Lemons and ginger have improved my health!"

pineapple1234567 January 16, 2017

For Breast Cancer: "62 yr. old, white female. Stage 2. Tumor and some lymph nodes removed in Feb. 2015. Been on Tamoxifen for 6 days and now the side effects are draining me. Extreme tiredness, itching skin, headaches, arm and leg pain with numbness, dizziness, hot flashes. Having a war with myself about medications and alternative medicine. I was extremely ill with Arimedex, stomach pains radiating to my back. The unconcern of my Oncologist set me off to find alt. methods. I found an excellent alternative med. Dr. And we started cleaning out the estrogen from liver, kidneys, etc.. but having a problem eliminating body fat. My breast surgeon scared me into taking Tamoxifen. Alt. Dr. says there's always other things you can do. I'm torn."

Halfalive (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

For Breast Cancer: "Just started this 10 days ago. I was so nervous because it seems everyone that posts has a negative side effect. I have none!! Maybe a warm night or 3 but that's been it. It passed 10 minutes later. I also take supplements so that could be helping too. D3, milk thistle, green tea to name a couple."

Stg2survivor November 15, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I was diagnosed with a small tumor on my left breast (stage one, grade one). Thankfully, early detection at age 41 made my experience much more smooth. The toughest part so far was the early tests and biopsies (only one malignant lump was found). The surgery was a breeze. Radiation was taxing, but I am so thankful that chemo was not necessary. So far, after 3 months of Tamoxifen, I've experienced only one side effect (the occasional hot flash). I have been very lucky so far and hope that cancer never comes back. I was so against taking Tamoxifen, but I am glad that I gave it a try. Stay strong everyone, and I hope this encourages other young bc survivors."

Thankful for Early Detection (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I found my lump before Christmas. It was in the milk duct, 2 surgeries weeks apart to remove both lumps, painful. Tamoxifen is horrible! Always sweating, barely sleeping. I already had a hard time with insomnia, now this drug has made things worse. Started taking this in April. I will start taking the drug in the morning instead of at night. Hopefully, I may be able to get some sleep through the night without having to change sheets nightly. After readIng the other posts, this explains my constipation, lack of energy. Will see what kind of meds or herbal product I can take for the hot flashes, getting unbearable."

Aunt. Fran (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Its one year im on Tamoxifen . I will manage all side effects that i have as hot flash, join pain , back pain , mood swing . My goal is to live longer and see my son's future . Im 46 year old . I try not to think about pain and side effects till im really get tired from pain . Only thing im scared is pain . The rest i will manage . Good luck to all of you ! Life is beautifull and fight for it ."

AngieKendrick July 4, 2016

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: "I've been taking Tamoxifen for 10 months now. At first, I seemed okay. The doctor prescribed Effexor at the same time to combat any menopausal symptoms. I fell into a bad funk. SEVERE depression and not sleeping. I stopped taking the Effexor (doctor wasn't too happy) thinking that was causing some adverse effects. He put me on Trazodone 50 mg for sleep. That worked for a short period of time so they upped the dosage to 100 mg at night. However, my depression is tenfold. I'm so irritable and angry all the time. The slightest thing sets me off. I can't stand to be around people. I can't concentrate and my appetite has decreased. I've lost about 8 pounds. I just don't feel right, ever, anymore. I have to stay on this for 5 years."

Anonymous June 20, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I have been taking Tax for 6months. I won't lie having a mastectomy was easier then the meds, but the alternative is worst . My biggest complaint is fatigue and moodiness , training for an Half Ironman has it's challenges but I think the daily training helps me in so many ways, I don't have joint pain and other major SE. I like the open discussion format as Doctor's are really up in all of the side effects as each person is different . It is nice to hear from others the mood swings , thought I was gong crazy... Hard on family for sure. I just keep on trucking ... Good to hear from others."

Boobya June 12, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on Tamoxifen for three months. I was put on it because of my increased risk for developing breast cancer. I have had no side effects at all. I also feel much calmer and relaxed. Before my period I would get very emotional and moody. Since I no longer have periods, I no longer experience this. I seem to be craving candy, but probably just trying to blame my sweet tooth on something besides my lack of will power. I have also lost 8 pounds."

No problems April 20, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I was diagnosed with DC breast cancer in November 2014. After 6 chemo treatments, a double mastectomy and 33 radiation treatments, I have been on Tamoxifen for 7 months. The hot flashes are getting better at times, and I'm taking Gapapentin for my hot flashes, the back and hip pain is horrible , I have put on 20lbs, I go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week and ride my horse 3 times a week, but all forced . I feel bad pretty much all the time. Always sick to my stomach . Working out makes me feel more sick, but I push thru it anyway. No matter what I do I can't drop weight. I'm in the process of loosing my eyelashes for the 4th time . I use to have pretty, thick hair and now it's thin. My memory is horrible. I hate this life."

Vandygirl123 April 15, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years after a Mastectomy for Estrogen based Breast cancer. During the last years and ongoing I have been overwhelmed with fatty tumors. Some are growing at a rapid rate and some that were soft are turning hard?? They are on my rib cage, my abdomen, my legs and 1 or 2 on my arms. I seem to be the only one concerned."

Lisa C. (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 31, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I have been in tamoxifen for 5 months now and it truly is difficult to isolate the side effects of the drug alone due to the fact that I was peri menopausal prior to being diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer with micro metastasis in one lymph node. I am 52 years old. My primary complaint is insomnia. I have become a light sleeper, waking up 10-20 each night. While I am able to fall asleep again, I never feel as though I have had a deep, restful sleep. I take my tamoxifen in the morning after I brush my teeth. A year post diagnosis which included surgery (partial mastectomy), chemotherapy, 25 rounds of radiation and now tamoxifen, I have endeavoured to train for an Iroman race in August. I am getting stronger every day"

Josi and the Pussycats March 3, 2016