User Reviews for Tamoxifen

Also known as: Soltamox

Tamoxifen has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 83 ratings on Drugs.com. 34% of those users who reviewed Tamoxifen reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Breast Cancer
6.8
Summary of Tamoxifen reviews 5.6 83 reviews

Reviews for Tamoxifen

Ina · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 22, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “I can relate to leg cramps at night, severe back pain & insomnia. I’ve picked up a lot of weight & feel constantly swollen. Anyone else with these last 2 symptoms?”

Nank November 18, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “I was on Tamoxifen for a total of two weeks. The first week went alright, with mild and fleeting hot flashes. By the second week I was bent over with pelvic pain and pressure. It got so bad I was in tears by the time I saw my oncologist. They took me off of the Tamoxifen and sent me to a gynecologist. My uterine wall “Thicker than they like to see”. They told me Tamoxifen couldn’t possibly thicken the uterus that fast, but they didn’t rule it out. I haven’t had any previous issues - not for over 22 years. So, too coincidental. After almost 3 weeks off of the Tamoxifen, my symptoms are gone, my gynecologist thinks my uterine wall will be thinner at my next check up in a few months.”

nrehkopf October 12, 2020

Nolvadex (tamoxifen) for Breast Cancer: “I feel my thought process is delayed after commencing this medication, which can be frustrating. Leg cramps are minimal & occur only when in bed. Minimal side effects if I remain cancer free.”

Eve April 13, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “My mom took this drug for 5 years, and in 2017 was diagnosed with a rare form of uterine cancer called uterine carcinosarcoma. Was her uterine cancer was caused by the tamoxifen? My mother was a beautiful 61 year old woman that was full of life but, sadly I lost her because of tamoxifen. They say its rare to develop uterine cancer from tamoxifen but I just lost my mom. It's not that rare do your research a lot of women have been harmed by this drug.”

Thankful for Early Detection · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2016

For Breast Cancer: “I was diagnosed with a small tumor on my left breast (stage one, grade one). Thankfully, early detection at age 41 made my experience much more smooth. The toughest part so far was the early tests and biopsies (only one malignant lump was found). The surgery was a breeze. Radiation was taxing, but I am so thankful that chemo was not necessary. So far, after 3 months of Tamoxifen, I've experienced only one side effect (the occasional hot flash). I have been very lucky so far and hope that cancer never comes back. I was so against taking Tamoxifen, but I am glad that I gave it a try. Stay strong everyone, and I hope this encourages other young bc survivors.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 23, 2014

For Breast Cancer: “I'm on my 6th year taking Tamoxifen. I was on it for 5 years, and stopped - at that time it was thought I should only take it for 5yrs. A year after being off and the new research came out that I should do it another 5 years. I've been back on now for about 6 months and I'm seriously considering stopping. Side effects are so bad that I'm having a hard time getting through life. Mood swings and bone pain are my 2 main issues. The thing is, I'm cancer free and of course want to stay that way. I think that if my Doctors were more realistic (honest) about the side effects it would be a little easier to deal with them. Reading some of the statements here is helpful actually - I feel a little less alone.”

Nic August 22, 2020

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: “Aug22,2020 I started tamoxifen 20mg in May 2020, ended up with severe depression. He put me on Effexor RX last week 37.5mg and It was the worst. Let’s just say one day on it scared the crap out of me so I never took it again. I’m doing research on Tamoxifen and it’s side effects at 20mg, I’ve read lower doses work the same without the harmful effects, so I cut the 20mg pill in half and took it today. I am going to continue this because I want to see if it works better for me. My cancer is gone, they caught it early back last year on a mammogram. The lump was .8 mm very small, all I needed was radiation and finished that first week of May this year. My lymphnodes were clear. I will ask my cancer surgeon in Sept about reducing tamoxifen for good. I refuse the other meds they originally wanted me to take. A shot every six months along with other stuff which causes so many side effects. The lower dose is what I’m going to do, they have good reviews on either the 5mg or 10 mg”

I hate Tamoxifen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 16, 2015

For Breast Cancer: “I've been on this drug for nine miserable months now. I had said I would try it for one year and I'm not sure I can make that. It appears that quality of life is not something my doctor cares about. It's almost as if he's being paid by the tamoxifen people because he won't even listen to anything negative about the drug. My hot flashes are unbelievable. My joint pain makes it difficult to walk. I haven't slept in nearly a year. This drug makes life not worth living.”

Jules · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 25, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “About 3 weeks after starting tamoxifin, I would wake up at night with night sweats and just insomnia and I noticed that I was definitely more hungry and craving junk food which in turn caused me to gain about 5 pounds. I could have lived with these side effects but then I started flying off the handle with my children at the drop of a hat. My reactions were crazy. I am normally generally mellow and easy going. Then after about 4 months I noticed I was having trouble focusing at work and was in a brain fog. It was mild at first but continued to progress to where I would fall asleep regularly at my desk. I decided for the sake of my new job, I am a widow and sole provider, that I needed to go off off it for awhile. After about 2 weeks my life started returning to normal. I occasionally try to take it again but then after a few weeks of starting it the side affects return. I really wish more options were available to me to prevent the recurrence of breast cancer.”

Anonymous October 12, 2010

For Breast Cancer: “This medicine is like playing a game. "Side effect Roulette". It is a quality of life issue. Yes, it may extend your life, but it makes you misearble while you are getting there. Hot Flashes, Severe Sweating, Insomnia, Severe Constipation, NO Menstrual Periods, it has stopped it completely, Bone Pain, Light Headness, unsteadiness, nausea....I fear what I am going to experience next. This constipation HAS to go.”

Mainah · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2019

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: “Was prescribed 5 mg/day based on the recent Italian study that showed this dosage was equally effective as 20 mg/day, with side effects similar to placebo. Happy to report zero side effects after the first month. No mood swings, not hot flashes, no night sweats. I'm 57, postmenopausal and only have had a few mild hot flashes ever, before Tamoxifen.”

Maria 62 February 4, 2018

For Breast Cancer: “I have been on tamoxifen for nearly 5 years now , and can honestly say I have not experienced any side effects , I have opted to carry on taking this drug for another 5. years to prevent my breast cancer returning, I do have a bit of trouble sleeping but I am putting that down to going through the change . Reading the comments on here I think that I am 1 of the lucky people that it hasn’t had a horrible effect on .”

Funny Girl · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 25, 2019

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: “I was on Tamoxifen for 7 years after trying a newer arimatase inhibitor (arimidex) which I found very challenging. It gave me Achilles tendenitis and I quit it after a few months and changed to Tamoxifen. I never had any side effects on the tamoxifen-- none. And after 7 years my bone density in my hip increased by 9% -- a nice side benefit of Tamoxifen. Sorry to hear that so many have had problems. It was a walk in the park for me.”

DOLSSON · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2014

For Breast Cancer: “I have been on Tamoxifen for four months now & have been told I will be taking it for the standard 5yrs. I have had hot flashes, no period (that stopped after my second Chemo in April 2013), sex drive has disappeared (also from Chemo & Tamoxifen combined) and I have had pelvic pain (tend to be more apparent when I lay on my back), joint pain(in my elbow and where legs join pelvic) and lower back pain. I am hoping that some of these side effects will soon subside. Wow, it is amazing all the different side effects that Tamoxifen causes for people. Reading a lot of these comments has made me now realize that all the pains & aches I have been having, truly are side effects from the Tamoxifen. It's nice to know I'm not alone! ”

10095 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 5, 2018

For Breast Cancer: “I had Breast Cancer in 2004 Ductal in situ so I was very lucky I had a breast removal then radiation and 5 years on Tamoxifen. I was 48 at the time but very fit and had already gone through an early menopause so the drug did give me symptoms although I had not suffered any when going through the menopause I had hot flushes mild night sweats mood swings and put on a lot of weight! But it was all worth it to survive and I soon got my figure back when I stopped it after 5 years. All I would say is treat these side effects as the menopause and you will find they ease. Avoid spicy, food, alcohol and wear layers of clothes so when you get hot you can slip something off. Stay very active my own weight gain happened when I slowed up my exercise also I found sage tea very good for cooling down. Please, Ladies, stick with it and stay well”

Mel · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 18, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I had grade 1 breast cancer in Feb and had lumpectomy and 2 lymph nodes removed. I had good news in June that they were all clear after radiation. I'm now been on tamoxafen since July. At first there was no side effects. Then the sweats got worse, I had trouble sleeping, pain in my back and fingers. Then I had a cramp like pain in my leg. I had the all clear from GP that leg was fine. I went to Mexico in August and and my both legs were so painful that I had to limp. In the mornings that I came home and went straight to a&e where I was told I had blood clots in each lung and the right one inflamed. I'm now on blood thinner injections for 6 months and may need tablets after that, all because of tamoxafen I was told. Anyone else experienced this?”

MK · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “Was on tamoxifen for five hellish weeks and had every side effect except hot flashes. My body hurt, I couldn't sleep, I was angry all of the time so my oncologist wisely agreed with my decision to stop the drug. Quality of life was so bad.”

Neekie · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 24, 2015

For Breast Cancer: “I started taking Tamoxifen in September of 2013. The side effects kicked in after about a week. My fingers completely seized up and if I crouched down I couldn't get up again! The joint pain was unbearable so my oncologist decided to take me off it for 6 months. He then introduced it gradually, 10mg a day instead of 20mg. So far so good! After 6 months of that he put me back up to the full dose and the pain didn't return! I've been on it ever since. My periods are here and there but are quite heavy and painful when I do get them. I wish they'd just stop. Just keeping everything crossed that the cancer stays away. Good luck to all you fellow survivors and keep fighting the fight! ”

Tamoxitoxic · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 1, 2017

For Breast Cancer: “This drug is nonsense. They tell you the side-effects are minimal and easy to deal with - as long as you tell your doctor. Well, it's been three years and the only thing the oncologist has recommended for me is psychotherapy (apparently because I complain too much). Now I have to have a hysterectomy because I have "unusual" growths in my uterus. I look like I'm seven months pregnant and am now having to shop in the maternity department. I'm not pregnant, BTW. Evert joint in my body aches and I sweat at least a gallon a day. I've had to buy a new mattress and pillows since I ruined them (with night sweats). To top it off, my oncologist doesn't think any of this is caused by Tamoxifen. I am tearing out the little bit of hair I have left.”

No problems April 20, 2016

For Breast Cancer: “I have been on Tamoxifen for three months. I was put on it because of my increased risk for developing breast cancer. I have had no side effects at all. I also feel much calmer and relaxed. Before my period I would get very emotional and moody. Since I no longer have periods, I no longer experience this. I seem to be craving candy, but probably just trying to blame my sweet tooth on something besides my lack of will power. I have also lost 8 pounds.”

tgreen59 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 30, 2013

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: “I am taking tamoxifen for two months now. But is not easy due to so many side effects. You need a lots of encouragement from family and friends to keep going. This medicine has so many side effects. Some of the side effects are fatigue, hot flashes, short temper, sadness, dizziness, anger and many more. The other day my son and my daughter came to me to ask if I was drinking. They said that I looked so angry the night before and they were worried about me. I never drink so I told them about the medicine.”

Jillbean34 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 19, 2015

For Breast Cancer: “I've been on Tamoxifen for a year now. A few joint aches but all in all not too many problems. When I started the medicine I was a Pescitarian( only at fish or seafood) I have maybe two hot flashes at night. I take my pill at 5pm daily. I too was told I need to be on it for 10 years. Considering the alternative, I don't have too many bad things to say about it. Glad to be cancer free!! Hope this keeps me that way. Turning 50 in three days!!”

queen lala September 14, 2014

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: “I have been taking tamoxifen for less than a month. I have had fatigue, chills, shortness of breath, night sweats, blurred vision, difficulty sleeping. It seems as if I get over one side effect and here comes another. I feel like I am going crazy. I am trying to stick with it, but it keeps changing.”

tlcreath September 1, 2010

For Breast Cancer: “Though this medicine may give you a chance at living longer, the mood swings are massive. I feel depressed and have no energy. I am always nauseous. Everything hurts. My sex drive is basically gone and my periods are slight if not altogether absent. I have shrunk inside a bit so now sex is painful. I have hot flashes that keep me awake at night and make me very unhappy during the day.”

Stg2survivor November 15, 2016

For Breast Cancer: “Just started this 10 days ago. I was so nervous because it seems everyone that posts has a negative side effect. I have none!! Maybe a warm night or 3 but that's been it. It passed 10 minutes later. I also take supplements so that could be helping too. D3, milk thistle, green tea to name a couple.”

Moore · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 3, 2018

For Breast Cancer: “I was diagnosed for her2-positive breast cancer and October of 2017 I went through chemo as well as radiation chemo which was a horrible radiation that my body tolerated 4 months ago. I was introduced to this drug tamoxifen. I've been feeling horrible every since. I feel like I have had a stroke on my right side my brain hurts I have trouble thinking even completing daily tasks. I wake up to dizzy spells and hot flashes. Blurred vision, change in color vision, stomach pain, Headache.Hot flashes, vaginal discharge. Pain or bone pain. Loss of interest in sex Trouble with sleeping. I will not continue treatment it's not worth it.”

Anonymous March 19, 2014

For Breast Cancer: “I'm 29, was diagnosed with Breast Cancer when I was 26. I probably have been on Tamoxifen for a year. I have a hard time taking it regularly because of the side effects. The hot flashes are almost unbearable, my mood swings push people away, my sex drive has decreased extensively. I am taking this medicine to prevent my cancer from returning. I have a 3 year old boy that I live and breath each day for and the reason I will continue taking medicine. But Tamoxifen does make me miserable.”

nancy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2020

For Breast Cancer, Prevention: “I started on tamoxifen bc of tumor markers. I had heard negative comments but I wanted to give it a shot. First, I avoided reading the side effect pamphlet and instead asked my husband to read it. I know I’m the type of person that can sometimes talk myself into feeling a certain way. I had to tweak when I took it. If I took in the morning I noticed I would get lightheaded and nauseous about 2 pm. If I took at 5-6 pm, I would get very moody that evening. For me, it’s best if I take it right before bed. My dr said I don’t have to take it at the exact same time so I take whenever I’m heading up to bed. About the only thing I notice is a funny taste in my mouth sometimes but it’s not bad. For me, I figured that’s better than getting breast cancer and going though chemo. I’m grateful the tumor markers were caught early and that my system seems to be tolerating this treatment well. I’ve been on tamoxifen for 3 months.”