User Reviews for Tacrolimus

Also known as: Protopic

Learn more about Tacrolimus.

Atopic Dermatitis 33 reviews 232 medications

6.9
Perioral Dermatitis 4 reviews 121 medications

6.6
Summary of Tacrolimus reviews 37 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Tacrolimus

For Perioral Dermatitis: "The first time you apply, you will have one INTENSE itching and burning sensation to the area. My area was around the nose and mouth area.. Keep applying the crème since this side effect will subside after a few days. I did feel some tingling in my lips area after the area healed. Other then that, this product works great!!!"

CDion47 May 31, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protopic (tacrolimus) for Atopic Dermatitis: "Developed eczema on my eye lids and hair line around my face. Itchy red and burning for a few months flare ups were painful. Dr prescribed cortisone but it was only temporary help. I did not to apply lots. Then dermatologist prescribed protopic. Yes, it burned for the first 72 hrs but it subsided and I was completely healed within a week! Such a relief. I only apply when I feel like a flare up is starting. Great for preventing."

Ang27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protopic (tacrolimus) for Atopic Dermatitis: "I had a rash caused by insect bites so Doctor gave me Protopic he said it would get rid of rash. I had tried everything : calamine lotion, baking soda, tea tree gel with vitamin E, lavender rosemary oil & with hazel, well nothing got rid of rash also my skin cannot handle hydrocortisone cream & I cannot take benadryl. So I got the protopic & antibiotics. Yes it cleared it away brilliantly, however Doctor told me to use twice a day incorrect dosage. Did not warn me of evil side effects. My skin became mess soon as I stopped using remembering Doctor saying apply more if you had any problems, it would clear skin then get worse and worse leathery skin painful blisters ozzing nasty redness bumpy skin - Red Skin Syndrome."

Mr Xloco May 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protopic (tacrolimus) for Perioral Dermatitis: "I've been using Protopic (0.1% ointment) for about six years to treat facial seborrheic dermatitis. On the plus side, Protopic ended five miserable years of itching, redness and burning that no cream seemed to help, and for that reason I am truly thankful. On the downside, it's very greasy (similar to Vaseline) which means it stays on the skin all day if applied in the morning. Drinking alcohol is a definite no-no too, as a tiny amount causes an awful reaction, making the skin immediately burn bright red. Annoyingly, if I don't use Protopic for about two weeks, when I reapply it the skin burns and itches intensely for a few hours (REALLY uncomfortable). Using it more often, say twice a week, does however resolve this problem."

Jude123 May 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Perioral Dermatitis: "I have periorial dermatitis. The rash has worsened. My face looks horrible. There is itching, burning and redness."

KanikaKanojia10 (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atopic Dermatitis: "I think I was suffering from topical steroid withdrawal, and tried to get off of them once my skin was dry, red, and flaky. I thought I was out of options until I remembered the Protopic generic, tacrolimus. I asked my doctor about it, and she was able to prescribe it to me. So far, it's cleared up my skin, although I do I have red skin on my thighs. I get itchy and keep causing more eczema or sores due to scratching, and I'm unaware of the allergens causing it. It does burn, and I'm odd, I think it feels good sometimes, especially in the winter. I recommend it for eczema sufferers, because I've used it in the past, and it's worked, and as an adult now, it's working again for me. Topical steroids have failed me."

OnceTwiceAgain (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atopic Dermatitis: "My Dr. prescribed this ointment in conjunction with memetisone cream. I had a severe reaction with red, hot, weepy, itchy, thin feeling skin that bleed with lightest scratch. Per Dr. I stopped using memetisone and just used tacrolimus, from there skin dried up and became very scaley, still itchy, thin feeling and painful. The ointment also made my skin feel vey dry."

MarthaCow February 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atopic Dermatitis: "I just got this cause my eczema gotten bad on my feet I still itch a lil but I just started using it my doctor gave me this and I assumed it would work ASAP but so far I'm 50 50 on it I will let u know in a month the real results"

Dee brown (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atopic Dermatitis: "I used other medications prescribed by 2 dermatologists and my family doc for rosacea for about 7 years with only minor efficacy. (Onraltea does hide it though) A 'senior' dermatologist diagnosed the problem as exzema and prescribed Protopic 0.1%. I used it as prescribed for 5 or 6 months and it seemed to be controlling the redness. I stopped applying it for a few weeks while having facial laser treatments. When I next applied Protopic one week ago, my skin burned, swelled and became extremely dry and flaky. The burn/swelling problem continues and is being treated. Full disclosure: I had the same experience with the rosacea medication Rosiver."

Mick in Vic January 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protopic (tacrolimus) for Atopic Dermatitis: "I developed eczema on my eyelids and originally treated it with a eucerin cream. While that moisturized the area well, my eyelids were still swollen and constantly itchy. My doctor later prescribed this to treat it and warned me about the burning sensation during the first 24 hours. As many people have mentioned after the first application the skin begins to feel like its burning and mine became very red, it was miserable. However, after the first day that goes away and within a week I had normal eyes again! I am so happy with this ointment, I honestly thought I would never have normal eyes again."

Itch Free Eyes (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atopic Dermatitis: "We're using Protopic on my daughter at the moment and it really seems to be working. I thought I had to mention after reading everyone's comments about the burning, that our doctor has said not to put it on inflammed skin. The skin should first be calmed with steroids and as soon as it has, then the Protopic can be applied. We spent 5 days using cortisone all over my daughters body and then started using Protopic. She would have told us immediately if there had been any burning. I'm sure this won't help everyone but hopefully it may help someone."

Dkcrooby (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protopic (tacrolimus) for Atopic Dermatitis: "Used this for my eczema around my mouth, instant regret as soon as I applied it. Washed it off immediately but it continued to burn for 3 days. It was red in that area for a few days too. In the shower, and every time I breathed outta my nose the heat seemed to ignite the burning. It was torture!"

Anonymous November 28, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protopic (tacrolimus) for Atopic Dermatitis: "Protopic has been awesome for my face and hands. My dermatitis started in my teens and left me with weepy/bleeding scales on my knuckles, upper lip, nose, eyebrows and eyelids. Protopic wasn't around and used Westcort cream, along with many stronger topical steroids. Flash forward to today. My skin is extremely thin all over my face, but thankfully no cataracts (applied steroids everywhere). Is Protopic a miracle drug? No, but it's the only thing available to stop my AD on the face. First application causes stinging/burning/HOT sensation. After you get past that first day, my symptoms go away. I continue applying until the skin has healed. Then, I stop it. When the eczema starts coming back, I start applying it again."

GlennK999 July 31, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Perioral Dermatitis: "About a year ago, I developed a white patch close to my mouth (vitiligo) about 1 cm in diameter. I ignored it for a few months hoping that it would go away, but when then I went on holiday to the beach and the strong sun made it bigger and more evident. Moreover, three additional spots appeared on my chin. When I got back I went to dermatologist who said it was vitiligo and prescribed protopic 0.1 (tacrolimus) and within a month the first large spot had gone. I still have the little spots on my chin, but they are getting smaller (it has been 3 months now, but I am still hopeful). If you have vitiligo on your face and it's not widespread it may work for you too, but do consult a doctor, since the drug is not officially recognised as a cure for vitiligo"

chez74 July 24, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atopic Dermatitis: "I have used tacrolimus for a year now. My doctor switched me from steroid creams because i refused to use it due to how damaging it was to my skin. This stuff works great. I find it works just as well as steroid creams, if not better and comes with the added benefit of not destroying the skin. Also, ive noticed once i stop using the cream after a flare up, my eczema doesn't come back and in a more aggressive form that sometimes happens with steroid based creams. I will say though, this stuff make you itch like crazy. Drive you insane type of itch. Sometimes i hold on for a couple of hours then have to wash the affected skin to remove it. But if you can resist the itch, the next day brings wonders and a couple of days brings clear skin."

Robbie12 July 9, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protopic (tacrolimus) for Atopic Dermatitis: "A drug may work well for some, and not so well for others. I am happy to report that Protopic is pretty much a miracle drug for me. I had developed a severe case of blepharitis, or contact dermatitis, around my eyes. They were red, itching, flaking, burning, and swollen. I looked and felt like hell. Within 24 hours, I was 75% better. And a few days later, symptoms were pretty much gone. I continued to use it for approximately 3 weeks. Now, when a symptom starts to flare up, I apply it for only a day or so to control it."

Happy Eyes May 18, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protopic (tacrolimus) for Atopic Dermatitis: "First time I used it on a single small white spot of my vitiligo. After an hour or two every part of my body started itching, had tingling sensations, skin got super red and hives appeared everywhere. Never again. Can't wait for the side effects to go away."

1234Johnny1234 April 26, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atopic Dermatitis: "I have suffered like many others for years with rubbish skin. Had every steriod under the sun but wanted to try and stop the problem from happening in the first place. I was prescribed Protopic. Yes, at first it burns like hell, but that to me is it working and I suffer it. As I continue to use it this burning doesn't happen and it has left me with lovely skin. I have found however that I did not apply on the Thursday and had some alcohol on the Friday thinking the cream would be out of my system, but definately not! My face became very flushed when I started drinking but then calmed down. My eyelids and area around the eye was completely swollen the following morning and has just got worse....will need to monitor this."

staylor061 April 25, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protopic (tacrolimus) for Atopic Dermatitis: "I'm on Protopic 0,1% for only two days, and it has helped a lot, i think, in a week of daily usage two times per day, my AD will be gone. It has made HUGE improvement already. Only First time made my skin abnormaly itchy, as well as burning sensation followed, but in my second day, these bad sensations has decreased a lot, only itches a bit. I really am excited about this medication, very grayeful to doctor who prescribed Protopic. I feel really happy at the moment, after years and years of depressed mood and damaged skin."

Lazarussss December 12, 2015

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atopic Dermatitis: "Used super potent steroid creams for 10 months on my Lichen simplex chronicus that did not work and made skin condition worse. 2 weeks of Protopic and condition is almost gone."

Sparklek October 26, 2015

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atopic Dermatitis: "I have atopic blepharo-dermatitis and eczema. I used Protopic 0.1% cream for my eylids swelling and redness. I first experienced dryness after a year of intermittent use. I only spent less than 30g in 1.5 yrs with Protopic. Yesterday I experienced tightness 5 on the scale from 0 to 10, and also pain. I took 500mg Tylenol but the tightness remained the next day. I get temporary relief with warm water massage but only for 10 minutes. I got panic attack as the result"

kopluk September 26, 2015

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protopic (tacrolimus) for Atopic Dermatitis: "I have had intermittent eczema all my life. It mostly just occurs on face around my mouth and nose. I remember trying every type of moisturizer and prescription cream there was out there. I finally got prescribed Protopic by a physician and I was amazed! I have been using it the last 10 years and it has always made a big difference."

Dani Binx August 30, 2015

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protopic (tacrolimus) for Atopic Dermatitis: "I have severe eczema on my face, which is not only embarrassing but very uncomfortable. I was so desperate I was putting steroid creams around my eyes, which everyone knows is not the best idea. My eyelids were so swollen I didn't have a choice. I saw a dermatologist who prescribed Protopic, but with all the warnings I was afraid to use it at first. I became so desperate I applied only a little bit, and was amazed at the results. After a day or two the inflammation is completely gone. The only major side effect is that it can make your skin feel very HOT, which gets worse with sun exposure or when consuming alcohol. But for me, it's worth it. This drug is a miracle for someone like me, I recommend it highly."

SarahSarahBoBarah July 6, 2015

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atopic Dermatitis: "A terrible burning sensation on the skin for several hours after using it. Stopped using it after 2 applications due to this severe side effect. Seek out alternative therapies"

The girth March 16, 2015

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protopic (tacrolimus) for Atopic Dermatitis: "Protopic does the job. My intermittent atopic dermatitis affects small areas of my face along the nose, eyebrows, some hairline at eyebrow level, forehead, and patches on both sides of the chin. When redness shows up, light application of Protopic clears affected areas within 2 to 3 days without fail."

Camaysar February 11, 2015