User Reviews for Tacrolimus topical to treat Atopic Dermatitis

Also known as: Protopic

Tacrolimus topical has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 89 ratings for the treatment of Atopic Dermatitis. 58% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 29% reported a negative effect.

Tacrolimus topical Rating Summary

6.6/10 average rating

Compare all 121 medications used in the treatment of Atopic Dermatitis.

Reviews for Tacrolimus topical

Lee · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2021

Protopic (tacrolimus): “So after 18 months of pure agony on my eyes stinging and burning trying every known cream under the sun !!!! Can’t put make up on. Can’t be around strong fragrance or even cook with smells that burn my eyes !! I decided not to try anything for 4 months and they got worse and worse ! I was prescribed Protopic 0.1% I tried for a couple of days but the burning was just so bad!! So now on 0.3% terrified of having a reaction I was so desperate last night as every time I put it on the burning and the itching is so intense makes me feel sick !! But after reading the reviews on here I am going to stick with it I am just hoping that this helps as I am at the end of the road now and so depressed. Please, please tell me that burning goes away and can anybody suggest anything that would help with it ? X”

silkenfox · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2020

Protopic (tacrolimus): “An hour after put it on for the first time was the worst itching and burning I have felt in my life. The next day I used it didn’t feel anything and it started healing my eczema right away! If you can get through your first time using it, don’t stop keep going it’ll help you.”

0.1% Protopic is pretty great January 18, 2019

Protopic (tacrolimus): “Works wonders, but be prepared for a wild ride if you are one of the unlucky lottery winners of this side effect. I was perscribed 0.1% Protopic ointment. When I put on my first application, there was no immediate burning. The burning began about 8-10h later. And intensified with each progressive application. Two weeks in and there is no end to the burning. Its not as bad as the first few days, but boy, I have NEVER felt anything like it. By my second day I was on the floor in tears (which I got to find out first hand, makes things much worse because apparently tears become caustic when they make contact with protopic-laden skin). I don't know how I feel about protopic. I mean, 10/10, it definitely does what it claims to do... VERY effectively. It has cleared up almost 90% of my problems that I have been dealing with for over a year, in just two weeks. But I don't enjoy feeling like I've made a deal with the devil, having to trek through fire to get there.”

Happy Eyes May 18, 2016

Protopic (tacrolimus): “A drug may work well for some, and not so well for others. I am happy to report that Protopic is pretty much a miracle drug for me. I had developed a severe case of blepharitis, or contact dermatitis, around my eyes. They were red, itching, flaking, burning, and swollen. I looked and felt like hell. Within 24 hours, I was 75% better. And a few days later, symptoms were pretty much gone. I continued to use it for approximately 3 weeks. Now, when a symptom starts to flare up, I apply it for only a day or so to control it.”

Liv January 28, 2021

Protopic (tacrolimus): “After years of having eczema flare ups all over my face and body - I did my Dr's regime - which worked wonders! However still get eczema only around my eye area - so my Dr prescribed me with Protopic. After reading some of the other experiences, I was scared to try it at first due to the burning sensation others had experienced. However I gave it a go after major anxiety - I put a thin layer around my eyes and about 2 hour after my skin felt slightly warm, not warm like a flare up - just felt like I was close to a heater, but it wasn't a horrible sensation and my skin didn't feel hot to the touch. It wasn't painful at all - thank goodness! This sensation lasted about 2 hours and didn't get any worse. I'm now on my 5th day and have not experienced that sensation since the first time and my eczema has disappeared - amazing! Wish I was given this as a teenager, would have saved a lot of upset about my skin around my eyes! Can't get over how quick and well it's healed!”

Claire · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 9, 2020

Protopic (tacrolimus): “I’ve suffered very badly from atopic dermatitis on my face for about 18 months. I’ve used a lot of topical steroids on my face, particularly around my eyes. I became worried that I would start to get some of the side effects from them. I was extremely self conscious about my eczema and it had a negative effect on my confidence. I would avoid going out and seeing people. I was prescribed Protopic by a dermatologist and it has changed my life. When I first used it I didn’t experience any of the burning or itching but after taking a break for a few months it was very uncomfortable when I started to use it again. My face burnt and was very itchy for the first day or two of use but the side effects disappeared after that. I completely transformed my skin within 2/3 days. It’s amazing to finally have an option to treat eczema that isn’t a steroid cream. This is an expensive medication but worth every euro. It can also be used to prevent flares if applied twice a week.”

Yaz · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2019

Protopic (tacrolimus): “Hi I suffered a very bad reaction. I used Protopic only for a few days and suffered unbearable burning sensations in my eyes and around. I felt like my face was burning and tried everything to cool down from rosewater, ice and also took several cold showers it made no difference! My eyes continuously watery and sore. I also suffered headaches I immediately stopped the medication yesterday still suffering.”

Gold · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2020

Protopic (tacrolimus): “I have used this for a little over 2 months and every time I used it, it made me more itchy. My dermatologist just recommended me to put in fridge for 10 minutes and so far there is no itch, but is more difficult to get out of the tube.”

SarahSarahBoBarah July 6, 2015

Protopic (tacrolimus): “I have severe eczema on my face, which is not only embarrassing but very uncomfortable. I was so desperate I was putting steroid creams around my eyes, which everyone knows is not the best idea. My eyelids were so swollen I didn't have a choice. I saw a dermatologist who prescribed Protopic, but with all the warnings I was afraid to use it at first. I became so desperate I applied only a little bit, and was amazed at the results. After a day or two the inflammation is completely gone. The only major side effect is that it can make your skin feel very HOT, which gets worse with sun exposure or when consuming alcohol. But for me, it's worth it. This drug is a miracle for someone like me, I recommend it highly.”

GlennK999 July 31, 2016

Protopic (tacrolimus): “Protopic has been awesome for my face and hands. My dermatitis started in my teens and left me with weepy/bleeding scales on my knuckles, upper lip, nose, eyebrows and eyelids. Protopic wasn't around and used Westcort cream, along with many stronger topical steroids. Flash forward to today. My skin is extremely thin all over my face, but thankfully no cataracts (applied steroids everywhere). Is Protopic a miracle drug? No, but it's the only thing available to stop my AD on the face. First application causes stinging/burning/HOT sensation. After you get past that first day, my symptoms go away. I continue applying until the skin has healed. Then, I stop it. When the eczema starts coming back, I start applying it again.”

Hilary B September 14, 2011

Protopic (tacrolimus): “I am in the same boat as harley7373. This ointment kept me up most of the night because it was burning my eyelids and it still is and it's been more than 12 hours since I put it on. If you have very sensitive skin and always have, this may affect you the same exact way.”

Itch Free Eyes · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2017

Protopic (tacrolimus): “I developed eczema on my eyelids and originally treated it with a eucerin cream. While that moisturized the area well, my eyelids were still swollen and constantly itchy. My doctor later prescribed this to treat it and warned me about the burning sensation during the first 24 hours. As many people have mentioned after the first application the skin begins to feel like its burning and mine became very red, it was miserable. However, after the first day that goes away and within a week I had normal eyes again! I am so happy with this ointment, I honestly thought I would never have normal eyes again.”

Mrs Boss October 3, 2018

Protopic (tacrolimus): “I have struggled with flare ups for at least 5 years. Last couple of months I had rashes around my eyes and mouth. I was unable to show my face in public. I was feeling extremely depressed I have tried all possible treatments from eliminating all dairy and gluten. To eating all vitamins you can find and nothing have help until my doctor prescribed Protopic! It was a burning sensation when applying it for the first 2 times. And every time my skin would normally react (flare up) to something It would start burning as if the ornaments actually helped my skin to fight the reaction. After 2 days my skin cleared up and now after a week, my skin is the best it’s been in many years. Feels like I am cured. Why is my question doesn’t doctors prescribe this all the time? It will save people’s life’s”

Miri · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 28, 2019

Protopic (tacrolimus): “I was suffering from eczema since 3 years of age. In and out of hospitals, all the creams and wraps, steroids and immunosuppressants. After 30 it got much worst on my face and eyes. Pregnancy and breastfeeding was hell. Actually, my eye dr recommended Protopic and I had all the burns and numbness in my mouth and lips and strange kinda high feeling for approximately 2 weeks. Protopic gave me my face and my life back!! I can not be grateful enough for it. It did make me more prone to cold sores on my lips and nose so I have to take drugs for that every now and then. I would get extremely red if I had alcohol and have to avoid the sun if I use it. U will learn how to use it, so just avoid protopic for a number of days before holiday or night out. I'm doing the eczema diet from Katie Fisher and it works for me, so I'm not using any drugs anymore, but I will always have protopic with me just in case.”

Dani Binx August 30, 2015

Protopic (tacrolimus): “I have had intermittent eczema all my life. It mostly just occurs on face around my mouth and nose. I remember trying every type of moisturizer and prescription cream there was out there. I finally got prescribed Protopic by a physician and I was amazed! I have been using it the last 10 years and it has always made a big difference.”

Jane · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2020

Protopic (tacrolimus): “I have had severe eczema just above my upper lip for three years. It has been awful and painful and I finally sought out a dermatologist after it started getting even worse recently. Protopic has changed my life! It did feel uncomfortably hot and itchy for the first few days but it’s not bad at all- very bearable. I recommend not reading up on it and scaring yourself and just trying it because chances are you will feel very mild side effects.”

Niels H December 5, 2014

Protopic (tacrolimus): “I have used Protopic continuously for about 5 years for atopic dermatitis and all I can say is, this medicine does wonders for your inflamed skin - sure it burns a lot if the eczema flares, but the burning will fade away after a couple of hours. Recently I was diagnosed with guttate psoriasis as well (unlucky me, yup!), and since I wasn't so pleased with the topical steroid-creams, I tried Protopic on my psoriasis lesions. And this showed up to be a very good idea, since I have been in control of my psoriasis since I started using it. So all in all, I give this my best recommendations, although it is a bit expensive.”

Camaysar February 11, 2015

Protopic (tacrolimus): “Protopic does the job. My intermittent atopic dermatitis affects small areas of my face along the nose, eyebrows, some hairline at eyebrow level, forehead, and patches on both sides of the chin. When redness shows up, light application of Protopic clears affected areas within 2 to 3 days without fail.”

RyanL May 14, 2014

Protopic (tacrolimus): “Probably the best Ointment I have ever used. I used to use Hydrocortisone but my Doctor took me off it due to the risk of atrophy. All I can say is my face is remarkably different compared to a year ago thanks to Protopic. It's safe to use too. I'm at the 12 month mark now so will need to see a Dermatologist soon to decide on using it long term but I really hope I never have to stop using it!”

harley7373 July 31, 2010

Protopic (tacrolimus): “My dermatologist gave me a sample of Protopic for itching eyelids. He did not caution me that it was not for eye use as i later read on the outside of the tube. I applied it one evening to both eyelids. I spent the next 3 hours in misery from burning and itching eyes before I finally fell asleep about midnight. The only way I could get any relief was to wash my eyes with baby shampoo and water.It was terrible.”

Tom · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2019

Protopic (tacrolimus): “After 5/6 trips to my local GP and getting no where with my skin, it was time to cave in and see a specialist and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. After suffering with eczema and acne all on my face for 2 years now, within 2 days of using this cream it’s cleared up remarkably. Now I can’t lie and I will say the first few times it stings and burns you’re face like anything but the results are insane. This cream really is a miracle and I’m smiling for the first in years as I can finally see progress in my face. Again the only down sides are the price and the agony you’ll go through for the first few uses but I beg you see through it because you will not be disappointed.”

ALF1986 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2013

Protopic (tacrolimus): “My dermatologist prescribed Protopic 0.1% for a psoriasis related rash on my face. Steroid creams would give noticeable results after 1 application. The Protopic took about 2 days before I noticed a significant difference. By the 3rd day, I realized the Protopic was really working well. I am very happy with this medicine. It works better than the steroids without the side effects, and the effect seems to last longer. I can get by with one application every couple of days now. I do notice a little itching when using, but other than that, I have not noticed any side effects.”

Anonymous December 20, 2020

Protopic (tacrolimus): “This definitely works, but you must stick with it! When I first put it on my skin (face and neck only), it felt extremely hot and very, VERY itchy. I thought I was having an allergic reaction to it and/or my skin flare up was getting worse. After several hours the itching dissipated and my skin just felt hot in the worst affected areas - this wasn’t too bad at all. The redness also cleared up and my skin started looking totally normal (as if I didn’t have eczema). Pretty amazing result.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2020

Protopic (tacrolimus): “I started using this cream on my hands a couple of weeks ago, almost immediately my hands started burning but I put it down to the dermatitis. After a few days there was improvement on my hands so I carried on using it once a day. Last weekend I drank wine and my goodness, my face and neck started burning and went really red, I never correlated it to the cream I just thought I'd developed an allergy to the wine. That evening my whole body started tingling, it was quite scarey. Still didn't think it could have been the cream so I carried on using it once a day, the tingling carried on all week, it was driving me to despair. Yesterday I read the patient leaflet and to and my horror the common side effects are the ones I was suffering from. I do have sensitive skin so maybe that's why I reacted so badly. I didn't use the cream last night, still tingling skin today but not as bad, hopefully it will be out of my system soon. My advise is don't use this cream if your have sensitive skin.”

Dkcrooby · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2016

“We're using Protopic on my daughter at the moment and it really seems to be working. I thought I had to mention after reading everyone's comments about the burning, that our doctor has said not to put it on inflammed skin. The skin should first be calmed with steroids and as soon as it has, then the Protopic can be applied. We spent 5 days using cortisone all over my daughters body and then started using Protopic. She would have told us immediately if there had been any burning. I'm sure this won't help everyone but hopefully it may help someone.”

Learn more about Atopic Dermatitis