User Reviews for SMZ-TMP DS

Learn more about SMZ-TMP DS.

SMZ-TMP DS Rating Summary

4.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 380 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for SMZ-TMP DS to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I have had this prescribed to me due to a bladder infection. I took them twice a day for five days. And just now feel like I have symptoms of a UTI. Why is this?"

Lorraine04! (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Spent first day sleeping and second too even though I ate something first. The nausea was awful. Third day and I'm still not sure it's working."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After taking the 2nd dose, I began having a very bad burning feeling in my stomach. Then my back muscles hurt. The was no getting comfortable. I also could only urinate once in 10 hours when I had been going about every 2 hours prior. About 10 hours after I took that dose, I finally and unexpectedly vomited. I fell asleep for a few hours and when I woke, my backache was gone and I wasn't doubled over in pain from my stomach. I immediately decided that I wasn't even going to try another dose and called to be put on something different. It's now been 5 days since I took this medicine and my stomach still feels like it has a hole eaten through it."

Karna1962 May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed this for a UTI. Spent 6 hours in the emergency room for dehydration after 3 1/2 hours of extreme abdominal pain, severe diarrhea, and vomiting. This, after only 1 pill. Worse than my experience with augmentin by far."

No Keflex For Me! October 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've just finished my treatment for a urinary tract infection. I no longer have any symptoms from the infection. First 8 days of a 15 day treatment was fine with no side effects. Beginning the 9th day, I began experiencing a mild rash and itching which seem to begin on my chest and neck and migrated to my back. A bit of a nuisance but tolerable. Around the 11th day, I began to experience mild joint and muscle ache and a tender scalp around the base of the skull. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen have helped to overcome this but by the 14th and 15th day, I felt like a had the flu with no nausea but a loss of appetite. I took the last pill this morning and by 1PM, had to lay down with chills, aches and pains, headache and a slight fever."

Vinylville July 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After the 5th pill side effects were horrendous. Slight right side facial weekness, shaking, confused and nearly paralyzed from the right shoulder thru my neck. I asked the pharmacists if there was anything I should know before taking this drug, he told me no."

Side effect October 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on the 5th day of my UTI. The pressure and bearing down while urinating is similar to labor pains. I'm out of state and visited an Urgent Care Center. The NP prescribed the generic Bactrim. I went back to the Urgent Care Center after 4 days and she gave me 3 more days of the SMZ -TMP DS. I told her my symptoms were the same as my initial visit. Promised that infection would clear with the additional pills in addition to AZO , an over the counter pill to relieve the pressure. It's now day 5 and I feel like I'm on day 1. This medication is doing NOTHING for me. It's Friday and I'm sure I will be visiting another Dr. on Monday. I just want to feel like myself again. "

Jrzgirl July 3, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Based on results of a urine culture, I was put on this medication. I have taken 4 pills. While at work today, my tongue was feeling like I just took a big bite of piping hot pizza. The burning feeling was quite intense and I had not eaten anything that might have caused this. I also had numbness of my lips. The last pill I took was at 7:30 am and I still have intense burning and a bit of numbness. I was puzzled and decided to look up side effects of this new medication because it was the only thing newly exposed to my body. Since these problems were listed in your side effects listing, I will immediately discontinue using it."

Kathy Turner (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After being on this for 5 days, my urianry tract infection was *almost* gone. I had to ask for another prescription. During the time I was on it on I noticed shortness of breath, almost twice a day I tasted metal and noticed I had small nosebleeds. I also couldn't really go out in the sunlight, as it hurt my eyes a lot and my skin felt like it was burning."

Anonymous March 19, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I would get a urinary tract infection when I had sex. To control the situation my doctor prescribed SMZ-TMP DS. I took one or 2 a day for years. As long as I took the pills I was not bothered with a UTI. Miss a day or 2, and UTI. Worked wonderful. "

Anonymous May 26, 2010