User Reviews for St. john's wort

Learn more about St. john's wort.

Night Terrors 2 reviews 5 medications

9.5
Depression 41 reviews 79 medications

8.8
Summary of St. john's wort reviews 43 reviews 9.1

Reviews for St. john's wort

For Depression: "Started taking this about 2 weeks ago. Honestly feel like it is helping. Felt like I could punch a wall before starting this med but feel much calmer now."

Nurse1017 April 24, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have suffered with depression and anxiety for years and planned on seeing someone for help. I wanted to explore more manageable and convenient (not to mention less costly) forms of help first. I was skeptical as I am constantly having panic attacks, heaviness in my chest as well as obsessive thoughts which seemed to take control of my reality. I took this first when I was at work obsessing about aspects of my life and accepted that it may or may not work. About 10-15 minutes later I noticed a weight off of my chest, I was not obsessing in my head and I just felt more balanced overall with my mood. I say it is worth a try if you would like to are struggling within yourself (also get help if this does not work). Good luck!"

Allybear April 23, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I recently quit smoking and smoking weed at the same time, I know from previous failed attempts that my low mood and anxiety was not helping me stay quit so I went to boots to see what they had. I found st johns wort 334mg tablets, I have to say I am amazed how much they have helped. Almost instantly they stopped my mind racing and craving for cigarettes and the thought of a joint is not even there which compared to previous attempts is remarkable. I am 5 days smoke free now and st johns wort has seen me through the worst :) I wouldn't say I feel happier yet but my anxiety and moods have improved massively which is amazing considering I'm doing this while quitting smoking at the same time."

Jackopowell April 21, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "St John's Wort has literally turned my life around. I've had issues with depression in the past and always managed to work my way through them without help, but my last bout a few months ago got me to the point where it was starting to affect my work and people were really noticing. My personality had changed, I was temperamental, losing concentration on the job, sleeping badly, arguing with my husband, all I wanted to do was be alone... Then on a doctor's recommendation I started taking SJW. I noticed the difference within days, and 5 weeks down the track I feel like I have not felt in years!! I admit I wasn't expecting it to do anything... but I could not have been more wrong."

South Aussie Girl March 3, 2017

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I suffer with dysthymia, which is a chronic low-grade depression. I have to say, I have definitely seen an improvement since I've started taking it. It's been about 2-3 weeks now and I'm already noticing some changes. I don't feel as "low" all the time and I find it easier to think positively so I can pull myself out of a negative mood. I also have much more motivation to do things; I can't think of the last time I've actually felt motivated enough to jump out of bed and get ready for the day the moment I wake up in the morning! I used to struggle to even wake up. It hasn't helped my OCD, anxiety, or BPD too much yet, but it's also only been a few weeks, so we'll see what happens ;)"

rose7557 March 1, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Only been on St. John's Wort for a couple of days, but so far, I'm optimistic. I'm a 39 year old female that has battled moderate depression and anxiety on and off for years. After watching my step mom turn into a pill popping, SSRI dependent maniac, I KNEW that I never wanted to take prescription drugs. I started off with 5HTP, but it just put me into a "fog" and I felt like the only reason my anxiety decreased was because all I wanted to do was sleep while on it. Enter St. John's Wort. I feel like I am better able to focus at work and get things done, and the constant "stomach churning" that I attribute to anxiety has gone away. I'll give another assessment in a few days."

ZenZeta (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2017

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I am a 27 y/o female, have been battling depression and anxiety for a few years now. As I transition into a nurse, I decided that enough is enough, I can't keep living my life with this anxiety and unhappiness. St. John's Wort works okay. I didn't notice a huge change in my mood. I was a little happier, but not much. The anxiety was still the same. The biggest change I noticed was that it made it easier for me to talk to people. I have social anxiety really bad. Reason I decided to stop taking it is bc one night I had super bad anxiety so I took a Xanax and it COMPLETELY CANCELED OUT the effect of my Xanax. Went into a full blown panic attack, had to call into work. This drug has a A LOT of interactions with other meds. Will be going on SSRI"

Ashley- RN (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety. I have been prescribed different antidepressants such as Zolof, lexapro, efexor.. which only made me sick. I tried st john wort and within 3 days I noticed the difference. After a week I felt like a new person. They are great, cheaper than antidepressants, you can get it from any pharmacy and they are natural. I would recommend it to anyone who suffers from anxiety, depression or has panic attacks. It also helps if you take additional supplements such as magnesium or calcium."

MarieDarie February 4, 2017

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "28 year old who suffers from generalised anxiety (which can turn into panic disorder when I'm peak anxiety) and premenstrual dysphoria. St John's Wort is amazing. I'm still 'myself' and never had any of the awful onset symptoms of Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro et al. All the symptoms of prescribed SSRIs turned me off them immediately. St John's Wort turns my anxiety and the "you can't do this/aren't enough/are screwing life up" internal voice track down to about a 2 or 3, when it's usually between a 7 on an average day. Life is still tough and I still have a neurotic personality, but 4 weeks into taking this and I'm enjoying life again and want to make positive plans for the future :). Definitely take it but it will take some time to kick in!"

Kdawg28784 February 2, 2017

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have been suffering with depression and anxiety for a while. I really didn't want to go to the doctors or take any medication that would give bad side effects. So I did my research and came across St Johns Wort. It says to take 1 tablet a day after a meal but I take 1 in the morning and then 1 at dinner time. I've been taking these for only a week now and I can already notice a difference in the first time I took them. My depression was so bad I wanted to commit suicide. But these have helped me so much. They have calmed my mood drastically and make me feel like I want to live and enjoy my life for the first time in ages. Thank you sooooooooooo much!! I highly recommend :)"

ChanelCameron 122 January 29, 2017

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Night Terrors: "It really works. Still less than SSRI's. But close enough. 5htp had no benefits for me. So, I wasn't very optimistic about starting Saint John's. Luckily I did and I am satisfied with it."

Nickname already in use January 18, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Fantastic product .... seriously you most try for anxiety or low mood . Man of 46 I suffer stress anxiety low mood .... 450mg twice a day .... boom .... works a treat .... go for it .... don't delay you will better in no time"

Grumpy lad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 3, 2017

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I bought 150 mg tablets about 4-5 days ago. I take 3 per day making a 450 mg intake. I found they cured my constant fatigue I had usually experienced from the moment of wake to sleep. I had a problem of retrieving data from my mind, and since saint johns wort, I've found no trouble of my mind going blank. Nor had any problem with knowing of a word I want to use in a sentence but with all might not recalling the word. I've had much more clarity in my thoughts and better ability to focus. Less dissociation. I haven't had a tension headache since. I have more motivation when before I had none. Though I do say it hasn't cured my procrastination habits; surely there's no cure for deliberate laziness. I feel amazing since taking saint johns wort I wouldn't go back."

Mystic18 December 18, 2016

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I felt from day one an immediate difference. I didn't feel better or happier, I just didn't feel bad. My mood is much more stable. My anger has softened incredibly. I am able to take things a lot better and with much more clarity. I'm totally not one for supplements and wishy washy new age homotherapy crap, but I kid you not....this stuff worked for me. It's a God send. Truly it is. Month 2 and I still see a significant difference. Even my kids and Husband see a huge difference."

JoSavard December 1, 2016

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have been feeling down breaking stuff angry I don't know what's going on within myself I yell at everyone I went to see my doctor she wanted to give me drug's. I rang my aunt she said try something natural so I called in to our chemist They told me to try Go Healthy St john's wort so I did and it has calmed me down I have been on it for 3weeks now and take it every second day try it"

Mypanda (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "During college, I did have a prescription for medication such as a few SSRIs epression and anxiety. I felt these drugs offered some relief from my depression; but they did little to nothing for my anxiety, and in fact I side effects that were unwanted (sexual, loss of interest in stuff, etc). I became interested in SJW after it was mentioned on a bodybuilding form as a supplement some people were taking. I read it helps with depression, and was generally regarded as safe, so I bought a bottle of the pills and took one. Within one hour, I immediately noticed a more 'calming' feeling. Considering it placebo, I ignored it. A week later, the effects are stable. Depression is gone, and anxiety is significantly lower."

It really does work. (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Was scared to take it after reading all the interactions. i mean, chocolate.. and bacon!! Seriously?? Among many other's. My depression was making me have suicidal thoughts & I couldnt handle another day with such deep sadness, holding back tears, hurting so hard inside. so i took a leap of faith & ate a 300mg gel cap of st john's wort... my depression symptons were gone within the hour! next day, i opened the gel cap & poured half of the st john's wort powder into apple sauce & ate it instead of taking 300mg this time cause even tho it stopped the depression feelings, it made me tired & my muscles burned a little; this is normal when u raise ur serotonin quickly. So 150mg once a day has completely gotten rid of depression for me. Love it!"

T.T.T. (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I am taking this along with Buspar for my anxiety and depression. I only had anxiety so I was only taking Buspar, but it seems as though Buspar took away the anxiety and brought on depression. I'm against taking SSRI's or other antidepressants, so I asked my doctor first about possible interactions, then bought some St. John's Wort. Ever since, it hasn't happened to me anymore. I also have no side effects at all from it. Some people say it will give u headaches, but I've never had one. I personally believe that if u truly need this, there will be no headaches because your body needs it. But who knows, that's just my personal opinion :) it doesn't hurt to try it!"

Vnonames (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "SJW literally changed my life after the first week. I take the liquid form 2-3 times a day. I had severe morning anxiety and depression that at times was almost debilitating. The SJW helps me think clearer, less emotional and while I can still feel the days I have the depression bubbling up, I can actually realize its there and I can consciously derail it. Wish I would have taken this years ago.."

Jerry9999 September 22, 2016

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I suffered from anxiety and depression since my teenage years. I was fortunately enough to come across a book about St. John's wort, read the book and starting taking it. First it didn't help much about my anxiety and depression. About 2 to 3 weeks onward, I felt like a new person, or the old one before I had depression. Not much anger anymore and feeling hopeful etc... even smile more, even to strangers. My advice is to stick with it for a week or 2 and see if it works for you too. If not, try 5 HTP, it's good for depression too as well. Best,"

Ray535 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2016

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "When you take the correct dose it works great. Lifts me from my depression/worries all the time. I've been using it for years with moderate depression and when I take it I don't worry as much or feel down. Truly a life saver!"

Rachel Lee (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2016

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Note:I don't speak English much couse it ain't my native language but I hope I can help. This remedy is a God send,I was too depressed and don't know what was the depressed feeling look like even if I heard some bitchy ass (forgive me)saying this guy is creasy I just wouldn't listen to them ..but hey I'm happy now not becouse only this remedy but god have me now..what I'm trying to saying is if you're feeling depressed or raceing though try this if it ain't working try something else just don't give up.. Great day"

A human being (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I've been taking this medicine for about three months. For a few years I have been living with a mild/moderate depression characterised by suicidal ideation and low motivation. I have an eating disorder and sometimes experience minor tactile hallucinations. I also have anxiety and ADHD. I have experienced no negative side effects, and the positive effects did take about two weeks to set in. I now only have suicidal thoughts when I forget my pills. My emotions are more appropriate now and I can find joy in things. My eating disorder and anxiety are still problems. I'm not perfect, but I think I've finally got the motivation and energy to do what I need to and get better. Do take this before eating though or you'll get foul smelling burps."

Cloud13 July 20, 2016

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Without a doubt, St John's Wort works for depression. I have been on 3 different SSRIs and none have had the effect St John's Wort has. It has calmed insesent worrying and has all almost completely recovered a fairly moderate depression. I have had side effects of dry mouth, altered taste, slight tingling and a lowered appetite bit these side effects are much gentler than the sledge hammer side effects I usually get from SSRIs. Overall, a really great herb with fairly amazing mood altering effects."

BT3700 May 10, 2016

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Started taking st johns wort 2 weeks ago, i struggle to deal with life changes very well and have very bad anxiety and panic attacks that make leaving the house, being in a car and going to shops very diffucult and sometimes impossible. This then leads to a bout of depressive feelings. I have always said I will never get stuck on anti depressents but have found st johns wort to be great for lifting my mood. Anxiety is still bad at the minute but I put that down to recently seperating from my partner so hope that will ease on its own with time. The only thing I found was that after missing my tablets for two days I collapsed at home whilst on my own with my little boy which was frightening. I had no dizziness but recall feeling very sick."

Jents April 22, 2016