User Reviews for St. john's wort

Learn more about St. john's wort.

Night Terrors 1 reviews 5 medications

Depression 27 reviews 80 medications

Summary of St. john's wort reviews 28 reviews 9.5

Reviews for St. john's wort

For Depression: "During college, I did have a prescription for medication such as a few SSRIs epression and anxiety. I felt these drugs offered some relief from my depression; but they did little to nothing for my anxiety, and in fact I side effects that were unwanted (sexual, loss of interest in stuff, etc). I became interested in SJW after it was mentioned on a bodybuilding form as a supplement some people were taking. I read it helps with depression, and was generally regarded as safe, so I bought a bottle of the pills and took one. Within one hour, I immediately noticed a more 'calming' feeling. Considering it placebo, I ignored it. A week later, the effects are stable. Depression is gone, and anxiety is significantly lower."

It really does work. (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2016

For Depression: "Was scared to take it after reading all the interactions. i mean, chocolate.. and bacon!! Seriously?? Among many other's. My depression was making me have suicidal thoughts & I couldnt handle another day with such deep sadness, holding back tears, hurting so hard inside. so i took a leap of faith & ate a 300mg gel cap of st john's wort... my depression symptons were gone within the hour! next day, i opened the gel cap & poured half of the st john's wort powder into apple sauce & ate it instead of taking 300mg this time cause even tho it stopped the depression feelings, it made me tired & my muscles burned a little; this is normal when u raise ur serotonin quickly. So 150mg once a day has completely gotten rid of depression for me. Love it!"

T.T.T. (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

For Depression: "I am taking this along with Buspar for my anxiety and depression. I only had anxiety so I was only taking Buspar, but it seems as though Buspar took away the anxiety and brought on depression. I'm against taking SSRI's or other antidepressants, so I asked my doctor first about possible interactions, then bought some St. John's Wort. Ever since, it hasn't happened to me anymore. I also have no side effects at all from it. Some people say it will give u headaches, but I've never had one. I personally believe that if u truly need this, there will be no headaches because your body needs it. But who knows, that's just my personal opinion :) it doesn't hurt to try it!"

Vnonames (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2016

For Depression: "SJW literally changed my life after the first week. I take the liquid form 2-3 times a day. I had severe morning anxiety and depression that at times was almost debilitating. The SJW helps me think clearer, less emotional and while I can still feel the days I have the depression bubbling up, I can actually realize its there and I can consciously derail it. Wish I would have taken this years ago.."

Jerry9999 September 22, 2016

For Depression: "I suffered from anxiety and depression since my teenage years. I was fortunately enough to come across a book about St. John's wort, read the book and starting taking it. First it didn't help much about my anxiety and depression. About 2 to 3 weeks onward, I felt like a new person, or the old one before I had depression. Not much anger anymore and feeling hopeful etc... even smile more, even to strangers. My advice is to stick with it for a week or 2 and see if it works for you too. If not, try 5 HTP, it's good for depression too as well. Best,"

Ray535 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2016

For Depression: "When you take the correct dose it works great. Lifts me from my depression/worries all the time. I've been using it for years with moderate depression and when I take it I don't worry as much or feel down. Truly a life saver!"

Rachel Lee (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2016

For Depression: "Note:I don't speak English much couse it ain't my native language but I hope I can help. This remedy is a God send,I was too depressed and don't know what was the depressed feeling look like even if I heard some bitchy ass (forgive me)saying this guy is creasy I just wouldn't listen to them ..but hey I'm happy now not becouse only this remedy but god have me now..what I'm trying to saying is if you're feeling depressed or raceing though try this if it ain't working try something else just don't give up.. Great day"

A human being (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

For Depression: "I've been taking this medicine for about three months. For a few years I have been living with a mild/moderate depression characterised by suicidal ideation and low motivation. I have an eating disorder and sometimes experience minor tactile hallucinations. I also have anxiety and ADHD. I have experienced no negative side effects, and the positive effects did take about two weeks to set in. I now only have suicidal thoughts when I forget my pills. My emotions are more appropriate now and I can find joy in things. My eating disorder and anxiety are still problems. I'm not perfect, but I think I've finally got the motivation and energy to do what I need to and get better. Do take this before eating though or you'll get foul smelling burps."

Cloud13 July 20, 2016

For Depression: "Without a doubt, St John's Wort works for depression. I have been on 3 different SSRIs and none have had the effect St John's Wort has. It has calmed insesent worrying and has all almost completely recovered a fairly moderate depression. I have had side effects of dry mouth, altered taste, slight tingling and a lowered appetite bit these side effects are much gentler than the sledge hammer side effects I usually get from SSRIs. Overall, a really great herb with fairly amazing mood altering effects."

BT3700 May 10, 2016

For Depression: "Started taking st johns wort 2 weeks ago, i struggle to deal with life changes very well and have very bad anxiety and panic attacks that make leaving the house, being in a car and going to shops very diffucult and sometimes impossible. This then leads to a bout of depressive feelings. I have always said I will never get stuck on anti depressents but have found st johns wort to be great for lifting my mood. Anxiety is still bad at the minute but I put that down to recently seperating from my partner so hope that will ease on its own with time. The only thing I found was that after missing my tablets for two days I collapsed at home whilst on my own with my little boy which was frightening. I had no dizziness but recall feeling very sick."

Jents April 22, 2016

For Depression: "Life has never been easy. I have increasingly suffered from depression and panic attacks over the last few years. It got to the point where it was becoming difficult to leave the house. Constantly on edge, screaming on the inside, crying, feeling ill, feeling overwhelmed. I told my divorce attorney about my panic attacks and she suggested that I start taking st. John's Wort. On my way home from Court I stopped and bought some at Walmart. I just bought a small bottle, money is tight and I just wanted to give it a try. I noticed results after the first dose. This is day number 4. Taking 900 milligrams per day. I haven't felt anxious, on edge, haven't cried and I feel more clear-headed and focused. No side effects as of yet. ; D"

I can laugh again April 15, 2016

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "Took st john’s wort due to a depression – and it helped. After seven years I stopped when I became sick. Now my mood is more even and I am much happier since I quit. My message is that it helps depression when needed, and makes you slightly depressed when it is not needed."

Adran March 3, 2016

For Depression: "I turned to St. John's wort after I was prescribed anti depressant medication following the breakdown of my marriage. After a few days of taking the prescribed medication I didn't like the way it started to change me as a person and feeling out of control. I turned to St. John's wort after reading details of worldwide clinical trials. I now tend to use when I know I am going to be susceptible to a period of depression and find it really helps. My tip would be to try different brands as they are not all the same!"

Rowly (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2016

For Depression: "This herb saved my life. It definitely works. I was diagnosed with depression and I wanted to try these before going on Lexapro. Before I was having suicidal thoughts, was crying all the time and didn%u2019t want to do anything. It made me feel more optimistic and happy. I found myself laughing again and wanting to do things. I found pleasure again in the little things and gave me hope to end depression. It works fast, in about a week. I did not have any side effects when stopping using. While using it, my eyes became sensitive to light though, it felt like it took them longer to adjust to light changes and it %u201Churt%u201D if lights flashed at me. However this was totally acceptable for me since I regained joy in life!"

depressed girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2015

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I started taking saint John wort a week ago. I have bad anxiety with slight depression, but its being looked into if thus could be PTSD as I have flash backs, fear of leaving the house alone, a lot of trouble sleeping, mild panic attacks the list goes on. Anyway, I have been sleeping easier without that groggy drugged feeling you get with sleeping tablets. I have been calmer and for 5 days haven't felt overwhelmed with fear. I have been relaxed enough to go to the shop alone. I don't feel as down. I've also been taking b12 in the morning so have a bit more energy to. I will say though I don't like the taste, it stinks and I have noticed my hair has gotten greasy really fast? Oh and I'm not smoking as much, just don't fancy one as much now."

KayBBL224890 November 5, 2015

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "Same here as in never-going-back to prescription medications. They were disastrous (Abilify), rejected through final massive allergic reaction by my body after several years (Depakote), left me clumsy (lithium), increased my mood cycling (Lexipro) and caused tachycardia (Trazodone), made me feel like a zombie (Tegretol) or lock-up all my limbs when effects of previous dose wore off (Valium). Today I am thoroughly experienced with herbal medicine, and I have to say, St. John's wort is a very effective herb for controlling mood extremes and reducing nervousness without sedation. It seems to have no serious effects with me. I use Vitanica brand only now, because the effectiveness of just one per day is enough"

helpsalltheabove (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 28, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For : "I started taking this a week ago because I was always so Moody and irritable. I lost happieneds in the simple things that us to make me smile. Since I've been taking this I feel in such a lighter mood. No side effects except the gotst couple days taking this I had headaches. But so far so good I hope it helps to the full effects here in a couple moor weeks."

Osorio fam (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2015

For Depression: "I have been feeling down and anxious and my GP prescribed me an antidepressant for severe depression. I have been on a different medication before and found that although I felt more stable, I was reduced to a zombie. So, I decided to try St John's Wort after reading good reviews. I started on 325mg once a day in the morning. Day one - I felt amazing! I thought hey, if this is a placebo effect, I don't care! Day two, I started to feel shaky and spaced out. My partner said he noticed that I became intense on worries and seemed worse. Day 3, I took it and all day, I have had that same fuzzy brain zap feeling that you get with prescribed AD, nausea, brain fog, insomnia, ear ringing & light sensitivity. I would not say it has less side effects."

PurpleOneTwo October 19, 2015

For Depression: "I started taking St John's wort after researching and reading a lot about it. Well after a couple of weeks on it, I noticed a difference. It's taken the edge off my anxiety and depression, I feel calmer and a lot less irritable! I'm happy with the results and have had maybe one headache when I first started, I will continue to take it and record my progress, I'm now looking forward and feeling optimistic about the future!!"

Tin81 August 24, 2015

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I have suffered from anxiety and depression since I was 10. Since taking St John's wort ( I use karma maximum dose once a day pill, ordered directly online) I have felt a significant improvement in my mood. I am so much calmer, I don't lose my temper as quickly. I feel my mood is much more stable. I continue to drink alcohol which is a depressant, yet I still feel the benefits. I've been taking it for 3 months, I missed a few days, I felt the benefits within 2-3 weeks. My side effects initially lost appetite, itchy skin, headaches and cyclical sore breasts being worse. My libido is the same. My mood has improved 75%. I still get anxious, but it's much more milder. I mainly feel calmer and quieter and clearer in my head. For me, it worked."

KateVoice (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2015

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder and have been seeing a grief counselor. I have tried 4 different types of antidepressants and couldn't stand being on any one of them for more than a day. This is working. My only side effect is not being able to sleep if I take it late in the day. I've stopped crying and obsessing. I feel calm again for the first time in years. Maybe now I can put back my life back together."

last recourse (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2014

225 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I use ST. John's Wort with great success when working away at sea to lighten my moods, coming from a family with a big history of mental conditions I'm the only one who refuses to take prescribed medication. This helps me get by, be careful when coming off it because I tend to slip back into the hole once stopped...try to exercise and get lots of fresh air into the lungs when taking it. Avoid alcohol full stop."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 1, 2014

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I think anytime we read "over the counter" help we are skeptical. I know I was, but my obsessive compulsive disorder/depression was the worst it's been in a while and I had to do something. It works great. I can definitely tell when I don't take it. It's worth it to try."

S_Webb (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2013

170 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I have had family history from one side of the family(parent) and after a near death accident at 8yrs old my depression triggered. I've been healed (trust me it was bad) but every human being gets attacks hear and there so I decided to use something more organic. St. John's wort works but my tummy is sensitive to it (300mg 3x day) so I've lessen how many I take or take it every other day. I just like having a long term consistent mood. I've been 1 year fine, never used medicines not even Organics until now. "

depressionfree July 4, 2013

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I used the Kira brand of St. John's Wort because it was one of the ones used in the clinical trials done in Europe. While I feel this is a good brand of St. John's Wort, I had side effects from it which prevented me from continuing on it. I had diarrhea, gas and abdominal pain. I was unable to continue on the medication. While I was on it, I did not see any improvement, but I was not on it long enough. Also, I should note that I was only on 300 mg and got this side effect. Perhaps I am very sensitive."

blather123 (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2012