User Reviews for St. john's wort

Learn more about St. john's wort.

Night Terrors 2 reviews 5 medications

9.5
Depression 36 reviews 80 medications

8.8
Summary of St. john's wort reviews 38 reviews 9.2

Reviews for St. john's wort

For Depression: "Only been on St. John's Wort for a couple of days, but so far, I'm optimistic. I'm a 39 year old female that has battled moderate depression and anxiety on and off for years. After watching my step mom turn into a pill popping, SSRI dependent maniac, I KNEW that I never wanted to take prescription drugs. I started off with 5HTP, but it just put me into a "fog" and I felt like the only reason my anxiety decreased was because all I wanted to do was sleep while on it. Enter St. John's Wort. I feel like I am better able to focus at work and get things done, and the constant "stomach churning" that I attribute to anxiety has gone away. I'll give another assessment in a few days."

ZenZeta (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "I am a 27 y/o female, have been battling depression and anxiety for a few years now. As I transition into a nurse, I decided that enough is enough, I can't keep living my life with this anxiety and unhappiness. St. John's Wort works okay. I didn't notice a huge change in my mood. I was a little happier, but not much. The anxiety was still the same. The biggest change I noticed was that it made it easier for me to talk to people. I have social anxiety really bad. Reason I decided to stop taking it is bc one night I had super bad anxiety so I took a Xanax and it COMPLETELY CANCELED OUT the effect of my Xanax. Went into a full blown panic attack, had to call into work. This drug has a A LOT of interactions with other meds. Will be going on SSRI"

Ashley- RN (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety. I have been prescribed different antidepressants such as Zolof, lexapro, efexor.. which only made me sick. I tried st john wort and within 3 days I noticed the difference. After a week I felt like a new person. They are great, cheaper than antidepressants, you can get it from any pharmacy and they are natural. I would recommend it to anyone who suffers from anxiety, depression or has panic attacks. It also helps if you take additional supplements such as magnesium or calcium."

MarieDarie February 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "28 year old who suffers from generalised anxiety (which can turn into panic disorder when I'm peak anxiety) and premenstrual dysphoria. St John's Wort is amazing. I'm still 'myself' and never had any of the awful onset symptoms of Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro et al. All the symptoms of prescribed SSRIs turned me off them immediately. St John's Wort turns my anxiety and the "you can't do this/aren't enough/are screwing life up" internal voice track down to about a 2 or 3, when it's usually between a 7 on an average day. Life is still tough and I still have a neurotic personality, but 4 weeks into taking this and I'm enjoying life again and want to make positive plans for the future :). Definitely take it but it will take some time to kick in!"

Kdawg28784 February 2, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "I have been suffering with depression and anxiety for a while. I really didn't want to go to the doctors or take any medication that would give bad side effects. So I did my research and came across St Johns Wort. It says to take 1 tablet a day after a meal but I take 1 in the morning and then 1 at dinner time. I've been taking these for only a week now and I can already notice a difference in the first time I took them. My depression was so bad I wanted to commit suicide. But these have helped me so much. They have calmed my mood drastically and make me feel like I want to live and enjoy my life for the first time in ages. Thank you sooooooooooo much!! I highly recommend :)"

ChanelCameron 122 January 29, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Night Terrors: "It really works. Still less than SSRI's. But close enough. 5htp had no benefits for me. So, I wasn't very optimistic about starting Saint John's. Luckily I did and I am satisfied with it."

Nickname already in use January 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "Fantastic product .... seriously you most try for anxiety or low mood . Man of 46 I suffer stress anxiety low mood .... 450mg twice a day .... boom .... works a treat .... go for it .... don't delay you will better in no time"

Grumpy lad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 3, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "I bought 150 mg tablets about 4-5 days ago. I take 3 per day making a 450 mg intake. I found they cured my constant fatigue I had usually experienced from the moment of wake to sleep. I had a problem of retrieving data from my mind, and since saint johns wort, I've found no trouble of my mind going blank. Nor had any problem with knowing of a word I want to use in a sentence but with all might not recalling the word. I've had much more clarity in my thoughts and better ability to focus. Less dissociation. I haven't had a tension headache since. I have more motivation when before I had none. Though I do say it hasn't cured my procrastination habits; surely there's no cure for deliberate laziness. I feel amazing since taking saint johns wort I wouldn't go back."

Mystic18 December 18, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "I felt from day one an immediate difference. I didn't feel better or happier, I just didn't feel bad. My mood is much more stable. My anger has softened incredibly. I am able to take things a lot better and with much more clarity. I'm totally not one for supplements and wishy washy new age homotherapy crap, but I kid you not....this stuff worked for me. It's a God send. Truly it is. Month 2 and I still see a significant difference. Even my kids and Husband see a huge difference."

JoSavard December 1, 2016

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "I have been feeling down breaking stuff angry I don't know what's going on within myself I yell at everyone I went to see my doctor she wanted to give me drug's. I rang my aunt she said try something natural so I called in to our chemist They told me to try Go Healthy St john's wort so I did and it has calmed me down I have been on it for 3weeks now and take it every second day try it"

Mypanda (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "During college, I did have a prescription for medication such as a few SSRIs epression and anxiety. I felt these drugs offered some relief from my depression; but they did little to nothing for my anxiety, and in fact I side effects that were unwanted (sexual, loss of interest in stuff, etc). I became interested in SJW after it was mentioned on a bodybuilding form as a supplement some people were taking. I read it helps with depression, and was generally regarded as safe, so I bought a bottle of the pills and took one. Within one hour, I immediately noticed a more 'calming' feeling. Considering it placebo, I ignored it. A week later, the effects are stable. Depression is gone, and anxiety is significantly lower."

It really does work. (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "Was scared to take it after reading all the interactions. i mean, chocolate.. and bacon!! Seriously?? Among many other's. My depression was making me have suicidal thoughts & I couldnt handle another day with such deep sadness, holding back tears, hurting so hard inside. so i took a leap of faith & ate a 300mg gel cap of st john's wort... my depression symptons were gone within the hour! next day, i opened the gel cap & poured half of the st john's wort powder into apple sauce & ate it instead of taking 300mg this time cause even tho it stopped the depression feelings, it made me tired & my muscles burned a little; this is normal when u raise ur serotonin quickly. So 150mg once a day has completely gotten rid of depression for me. Love it!"

T.T.T. (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "I am taking this along with Buspar for my anxiety and depression. I only had anxiety so I was only taking Buspar, but it seems as though Buspar took away the anxiety and brought on depression. I'm against taking SSRI's or other antidepressants, so I asked my doctor first about possible interactions, then bought some St. John's Wort. Ever since, it hasn't happened to me anymore. I also have no side effects at all from it. Some people say it will give u headaches, but I've never had one. I personally believe that if u truly need this, there will be no headaches because your body needs it. But who knows, that's just my personal opinion :) it doesn't hurt to try it!"

Vnonames (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "SJW literally changed my life after the first week. I take the liquid form 2-3 times a day. I had severe morning anxiety and depression that at times was almost debilitating. The SJW helps me think clearer, less emotional and while I can still feel the days I have the depression bubbling up, I can actually realize its there and I can consciously derail it. Wish I would have taken this years ago.."

Jerry9999 September 22, 2016

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "I suffered from anxiety and depression since my teenage years. I was fortunately enough to come across a book about St. John's wort, read the book and starting taking it. First it didn't help much about my anxiety and depression. About 2 to 3 weeks onward, I felt like a new person, or the old one before I had depression. Not much anger anymore and feeling hopeful etc... even smile more, even to strangers. My advice is to stick with it for a week or 2 and see if it works for you too. If not, try 5 HTP, it's good for depression too as well. Best,"

Ray535 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2016

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "When you take the correct dose it works great. Lifts me from my depression/worries all the time. I've been using it for years with moderate depression and when I take it I don't worry as much or feel down. Truly a life saver!"

Rachel Lee (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "Note:I don't speak English much couse it ain't my native language but I hope I can help. This remedy is a God send,I was too depressed and don't know what was the depressed feeling look like even if I heard some bitchy ass (forgive me)saying this guy is creasy I just wouldn't listen to them ..but hey I'm happy now not becouse only this remedy but god have me now..what I'm trying to saying is if you're feeling depressed or raceing though try this if it ain't working try something else just don't give up.. Great day"

A human being (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "I've been taking this medicine for about three months. For a few years I have been living with a mild/moderate depression characterised by suicidal ideation and low motivation. I have an eating disorder and sometimes experience minor tactile hallucinations. I also have anxiety and ADHD. I have experienced no negative side effects, and the positive effects did take about two weeks to set in. I now only have suicidal thoughts when I forget my pills. My emotions are more appropriate now and I can find joy in things. My eating disorder and anxiety are still problems. I'm not perfect, but I think I've finally got the motivation and energy to do what I need to and get better. Do take this before eating though or you'll get foul smelling burps."

Cloud13 July 20, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "Without a doubt, St John's Wort works for depression. I have been on 3 different SSRIs and none have had the effect St John's Wort has. It has calmed insesent worrying and has all almost completely recovered a fairly moderate depression. I have had side effects of dry mouth, altered taste, slight tingling and a lowered appetite bit these side effects are much gentler than the sledge hammer side effects I usually get from SSRIs. Overall, a really great herb with fairly amazing mood altering effects."

BT3700 May 10, 2016

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "Started taking st johns wort 2 weeks ago, i struggle to deal with life changes very well and have very bad anxiety and panic attacks that make leaving the house, being in a car and going to shops very diffucult and sometimes impossible. This then leads to a bout of depressive feelings. I have always said I will never get stuck on anti depressents but have found st johns wort to be great for lifting my mood. Anxiety is still bad at the minute but I put that down to recently seperating from my partner so hope that will ease on its own with time. The only thing I found was that after missing my tablets for two days I collapsed at home whilst on my own with my little boy which was frightening. I had no dizziness but recall feeling very sick."

Jents April 22, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "Life has never been easy. I have increasingly suffered from depression and panic attacks over the last few years. It got to the point where it was becoming difficult to leave the house. Constantly on edge, screaming on the inside, crying, feeling ill, feeling overwhelmed. I told my divorce attorney about my panic attacks and she suggested that I start taking st. John's Wort. On my way home from Court I stopped and bought some at Walmart. I just bought a small bottle, money is tight and I just wanted to give it a try. I noticed results after the first dose. This is day number 4. Taking 900 milligrams per day. I haven't felt anxious, on edge, haven't cried and I feel more clear-headed and focused. No side effects as of yet. ; D"

I can laugh again April 15, 2016

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "Took st john’s wort due to a depression – and it helped. After seven years I stopped when I became sick. Now my mood is more even and I am much happier since I quit. My message is that it helps depression when needed, and makes you slightly depressed when it is not needed."

Adran March 3, 2016

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "I turned to St. John's wort after I was prescribed anti depressant medication following the breakdown of my marriage. After a few days of taking the prescribed medication I didn't like the way it started to change me as a person and feeling out of control. I turned to St. John's wort after reading details of worldwide clinical trials. I now tend to use when I know I am going to be susceptible to a period of depression and find it really helps. My tip would be to try different brands as they are not all the same!"

Rowly (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2016

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "This herb saved my life. It definitely works. I was diagnosed with depression and I wanted to try these before going on Lexapro. Before I was having suicidal thoughts, was crying all the time and didn%u2019t want to do anything. It made me feel more optimistic and happy. I found myself laughing again and wanting to do things. I found pleasure again in the little things and gave me hope to end depression. It works fast, in about a week. I did not have any side effects when stopping using. While using it, my eyes became sensitive to light though, it felt like it took them longer to adjust to light changes and it %u201Churt%u201D if lights flashed at me. However this was totally acceptable for me since I regained joy in life!"

depressed girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2015

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Depression: "I started taking saint John wort a week ago. I have bad anxiety with slight depression, but its being looked into if thus could be PTSD as I have flash backs, fear of leaving the house alone, a lot of trouble sleeping, mild panic attacks the list goes on. Anyway, I have been sleeping easier without that groggy drugged feeling you get with sleeping tablets. I have been calmer and for 5 days haven't felt overwhelmed with fear. I have been relaxed enough to go to the shop alone. I don't feel as down. I've also been taking b12 in the morning so have a bit more energy to. I will say though I don't like the taste, it stinks and I have noticed my hair has gotten greasy really fast? Oh and I'm not smoking as much, just don't fancy one as much now."

KayBBL224890 November 5, 2015