User Reviews for St. john's wort

Depression
8.3

Summary of St. john's wort reviews 8.3 81 reviews

Reviews for St. john's wort

For Depression: "I KNOW I’ve been suffering from mild-moderate depression for years: so grumpy, miserable, sad, apathetic, dragging myself out of bed each day. One night I came across a blog of someone recommending SJW. I started faithfully taking three 300mg capsules each day 2 months ago & I’ve literally got my life back!! My mood started to lift within the first week. After 4 weeks I was laughing, happy, no longer dragging myself through each day. Overall I feel 90-95% better than I did before! I just can’t see this being a ‘placebo’ effect. Friends and family have commented that I seem happier and more joyful. I've also read that full results can take up to 6 months to appear, so I’m excited to see what’s ahead! For ME this herb has been a god-send & I have noticed 0 negative effects. And a huge bottle is only $20. I say this is definitely worth trying if you are feeling badly and meet all the requirements to take it. It’s been a miracle for me so far <3 hope this helps someone"

Cindyloo February 1, 2019

For Depression: "This is a terrible option in my opinion. It may offer slight relief from low mood but it causes very nasty side effects if mixed with other medication or if doses are missed. I really would advise anyone not to touch it with a barge pole."

Jimbob (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 28, 2019

For Depression: "So I had depression/anxiety for over 25 years. Finally got off medication last year because I changed my diet and had done pretty well with it. My dr keeps trying to pin every ailment I have back on my depression, so I thought I’d give St. John’s wort a try, despite not having cyclical depressive/anxiety thoughts. Just going by my physical symptoms...after three days I was in full blown panic mode, with deep depression, thoughts I have not had for the past year. So IDK I guess it wasn’t my depression...like I told my dr but he wouldn’t listen. So I can’t say this works. I would have thought I would have gotten some help for just generally feeling like rubbish and not really happy"

Darktragedy (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2018

For Depression: "Really pleased with this product. I have suffered on and off for years with depression (particularly in the winter months) and chronic mild anxiety. I have been taking it for five days and I am honestly feeling much calmer and a lot less low in mood. Although it has not been a 'magic cure' as such, I am definitely experiencing significant improvements. Word of warning: If you do choose to use this product, however, you need to check first that it doesn't clash with any other medications you are taking. It says on the packet not to use with birth control pills for example. I had to do my research first and luckily non of my other personal meds do clash."

Jaya (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2018

For Depression: "It worked after around 3 days. I took 300 mg 3x a day. I take Emergen-c along with it for the B vitamins also try to get a good amount of sleep and probiotics."

Godisgood (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2018

For Depression: "I wanted to try this as an alternative to SSRIs. I have been taking it for a little over a month, and it's causing me SEVERE stomach upset, nausea, and vomiting. I can barely eat. I have to stop taking it altogether. It's also made my anxiety worse. I'm disappointed because I wanted it to work."

Badlands (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2018

For Depression: "I've been dealing with severe depression due to a divorce. So far I've tried Trintellix, Abilify, Rexulti, others and even Pramipexole and wellbutrin. Although some of these seemed to help a little it did nothing to really bring me out of the depression. I had no zest for life, didn't care about much at all, didn't look forward to anything. Wellbutrin seemed to help the most at getting some motivation but after a while it seemed to wane and caused a little anxiety. I was at my wits end so I tried St. John's wort. I've been taking 600MG 3x daily for 2 weeks. You want standardized dose of hyperforin in it. My mood has greatly increased and I find myself starting to think more positive thoughts about the future and look forward to things. It really takes 4-6 weeks to really work. I'll update this after two months. I recommend this. Read up on it as it can have severe interactions with other meds. Do your research and talk to your doc."

MC October 4, 2018

For Depression: "I have severe depression anxiety paranoia and borderline personality disorder. And this is the only thing to help me maintain my life. One time I ran out of St.Johns Wort for a almost two weeks and I was not OK I wasn't able to function. This saves my life and helps me to live a productive life. I still struggle with a few things but nothing I can't handle with St.Johns Wort. The only side effect I have is my vision. It's not to bad just have to do other things to help my vision. Best stuff ever"

Stormy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2018

For Depression: "IF YOU ARE TAKING THIS HERB PLS. SAVE YUR EYE SIGHT AND EYE HEALTH & STOP TAKING IT. This herb cured my severe depression for 11yrs. Recent eye tests are showing bad eye pressure changes, possible beginning glaucoma, cataract surgery maybe down the road. I looked up the latest research & forums & yes, St John's wort causes eye problems. My eyes have felt bad for quite awhile now. I'm stopping & trying saffron instead. I'm only 49, & don't want premature eye problems."

Ann (taken for 10 years or more) August 18, 2018

For Depression: "St John's wort did not improve my mood. I experienced food interactions (tyramine) and increased sensitivity to sun"

none (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2018

For Depression: "I love this stuff. I've taken it one time before and it has worked great both times. I would not consider myself to be clinically depressed, but my anxiety is always constant and sometimes becomes unmanageable and starts to effect my work life. Also, the two year anniversary of my dad's death is coming up soon and this is the time when his cancer really started to take it's toll on him, so I've been feeling some depression right now also. I've taken it twice and I'm already noticing some positive changes in my mood."

Maddy (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2018

For Depression: "I strongly recommend this for moderate depression and moderate anxiety. I had a work related breakdown and was on sick leave for 5 months. My doctor prescribed anti-depressants a few months in. I did not take them. I wanted a more natural approach. So I tried Saint John’s Wort. I started feeling better about 1 to 1.5 weeks in. I’ve been uphill ever since. It’s been 2 months. I feel great. My life is back on track. So I stopped taking it last week. Mild headaches once or twice in the first week starting up, and last week when I quit cold turkey. No other side effects."

Angie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2018

For Depression: "PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS WITH OTHER MEDICATIONS ESPECIALLY PRESCRIBED MEDICATIONS UNTIL SPEAKING WITH YOUR DOCTOR. SJW has helped me with my depression. For some the effects take time but me I felt the effects right away. I started with just taking one 300mg tablet each day. And now I take it twice a day. I noticed a major difference in my irritability. SJW doesn't not interact well with some medications for example birth control. Please do your research and/or speak to a Doctor before taking this. Can be dangerous if taken with the wrong medicine."

Michelle (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2018

For Depression: "I've been dealing with work stress for some time now experiencing mood swings and snapping at coworkers. I tried SJW about 10 years ago and recall that it helped me then so I started taking 3x300's tabs dosage today and immediately felt much more mellow. Dry mouth is the only side effect. I'll be sticking with SJW."

Markus (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2018

For Depression: "My menstrual cycle causes me to have intense mood swings and mild depression. I found I was feeling rather hopeless and angry. I was unable to handle conflict without turning sporadic and unpredictable. SJW has truly changed my life. I have not experienced any side effects. I am completely positive and able to remain calm in any situation. My boyfriend, friends, and family have all noticed a huge difference in the person I am. I am far more motivated to make significant changes in my life. I am the happiest I've been since my childhood and I owe it mainly to SJW. I cannot recommend it enough."

Josie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2018

For Depression: "I suddenly started thinking about life and death and about the meaning of this world, etc. I suffered from panic attacks and bunch of phobias showed up. I started realizing that I might be suffering from a moderate borderline severe depression. I didn’t want to see the psychiatrist because I didn’t want to talk about my feelings I didn’t recognize myself and couldn’t enjoy anything in life. So, I started taking it out on binge eating and gained 30lbs in two months. I started with holy basil tea and that seemed to help me with the panic attacks. However, the sadness and pessimism was still in me.Then I started taking valerian every late afternoon to tranquilize myself from anxiety. Then found out about Saint John wort. Started drinking three cups a day of the St johns wort tea because I read that tea gives almost immediate results compared to capsules. On the third day I noticed that I was able to sleep through the night without the valerian and in the morning was waking up happy."

happypenguin February 8, 2018

For Depression: "It works greatly but please continue reading to the end of the comment. I used it for depression and panic attacks, started with the tea then moved to tablets (3 times X 300mg daily). I never took an antidepressant before and I felt the effective immediately, but as the time went by I just felt better and better! Now after 3.5 months I feel as good as I was before my crisis began. I'm more focused and less worried, can't say I'm happy but I'm not sad anymore definitely. I strongly recommend it especially if you are avoiding medicines. Side effects is just dry mouth. Good luck!"

Anonym22018 January 24, 2018

For Depression: " I started taking SJW from December and it has helped me with the depression and anxiety and I was feeling so much more positive and never once felt down over the seasonal period. I take 1x370mg tablet in the early evening.The only setback is my sleep pattern has changed considerably and I find myself unable to sleep until 2:30am and when I finally get to sleep I can't get up in the morning as early as I used to. I find myself staying in bed longer - not feeling depressed or thinking of negative things - and I felt I am not in any hurry to get up like I used to."

Dottie77 (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2018

For Depression: "I started taking St John's wort after a recommendation from a family friend. A little background. Last year's begin taking celexa, it helped for a little bit but two weeks ago I decided it wasn't worth it. Especially because of the side effects. Anyway, I started taking St John's wort last week and immediately feel better. More focus, more control of my mind. I would recommend this to anyone who feels like they're life is out of control and are depressed because of it. I also recommend reading the book "The power of now". These two things combined have completely changed my outlook on life. Bottom line is, we all die. What's the point in being miserable all the time? This drug helps me stay balanced, and I think it will for you too if you try."

Jake333333 January 2, 2018

For Depression: "I have had restless leg syndrome for 30 years & it is 24 hours a day. I have tried many medications & ropinirole by far is the best prescription med. I have taken. But after so long on it, your body needs more of it to work properly. I have tried many herbal remedies over the years , with none of them able to help with this unbelievably torturous condition. Until I read a new report about St. John’s Wort having been tested & found to help & relieve symptoms of RLS. Well I did my research & got a bottle. Right from the start I got a good deal of relief. I had to try different brands & strengths , some are stronger then others & can react differently with each person , but over all I have found it quite effective in relieving RLS symptoms."

PJN December 31, 2017

For Depression: "I had intense panic attacks with heart palpitations & vomiting because I was under a lot of stress. Went to several Drs and all they did was prescribe me meds for schizophrenia which I refused to take (because I have anxiety disorder and not schizophrenia). Instead I tried St John's Wort but unfortunately I haven't noticed that it helped me much. I am still very anxious and tense and think negatively about everything. At times I feel relaxed for a short period but that's probably more due to my body naturally calming down on its own. In fact, 2-3 hours after taking a large dose (400mg) I would feel slightly more anxious than usual. So I stoped taking it."

FeelNervous (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2017

For Depression: "2 weeks ago I had a very intense panic attack with vomiting probably cuz of lots of stress and worries around me, and after that I had constant anxiety and my mind was a racing mess. Then I started taking St John's wort. At first I took an extremely small dose (40mg) but then I increased it to 3x200mg a day, and a few days later I decreased to 1x200mg. For the first 9 days I felt no considerable difference, but on the 10th day I subtly became more relaxed (but not too much), my mind was not racing as much, and I am more optimistic. Also appetite decreased. Not sure if it's from St John's wort or just my mind changing on its own. Will see how things go in future."

TroubledMan (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2017

For Depression: "I suffer with depression and now perimenapusal. I felt low angry argumentative struggled with every day life. I started taking SJW and I feel my old self. Enjoying life again. Motivated on every day tasks. Laughing. My husband totally agrees. Only side affect is slight stomach upset. Occasionally."

Kiaronnie (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2017

For Depression: "I have anxiety & have suffered with it for many years. My friend suggested SJW so I grabbed a weeks worth of capsules from her to give it a try. I had some severe side effects from this & didn't actually see much in improvement of my daily life. I had trouble getting to sleep, slept for 10+ hours every night even with work the next day. It kept me from caring about waking up for my job. This was mainly due to the anxiety dreams I had every night which is something I had never had before. They are different from nightmares, & they can probably even cause panic attacks if they become bad enough which could lead to nightmares I'm guessing. I stopped taking them after the 4th day & was immediately back to decent sleep & able to wake up for work"

Justkeepswimming (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2017

For Depression: "Back in 2004 a friend who I worked with told me about St. John's Wort and that she swears by it. I started out on it and stayed on it for a few years and then got off it. I realized that my mood swings came back along with anxiety. I felt restless, bored, mad and on edge most of the time. I now have gone back to SJW with the 375's and can't be happier. My husband has trouble sleeping and he takes them and sleeps soundly. We all have something to share and SJW is by far the best out there."

Teshamarie November 13, 2017