User Reviews for St. john's wort

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about St. john's wort.

Night Terrors
9.5

Depression
8.6

Summary of St. john's wort reviews 9.1 60 reviews

Reviews for St. john's wort

For Depression: "2 weeks ago I had a very intense panic attack with vomiting probably cuz of lots of stress and worries around me, and after that I had constant anxiety and my mind was a racing mess. Then I started taking St John's wort. At first I took an extremely small dose (40mg) but then I increased it to 3x200mg a day, and a few days later I decreased to 1x200mg. For the first 9 days I felt no considerable difference, but on the 10th day I subtly became more relaxed (but not too much), my mind was not racing as much, and I am more optimistic. Also appetite decreased. Not sure if it's from St John's wort or just my mind changing on its own. Will see how things go in future."

TroubledMan (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I suffer with depression and now perimenapusal. I felt low angry argumentative struggled with every day life. I started taking SJW and I feel my old self. Enjoying life again. Motivated on every day tasks. Laughing. My husband totally agrees. Only side affect is slight stomach upset. Occasionally."

Kiaronnie (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have anxiety & have suffered with it for many years. My friend suggested SJW so I grabbed a weeks worth of capsules from her to give it a try. I had some severe side effects from this & didn't actually see much in improvement of my daily life. I had trouble getting to sleep, slept for 10+ hours every night even with work the next day. It kept me from caring about waking up for my job. This was mainly due to the anxiety dreams I had every night which is something I had never had before. They are different from nightmares, & they can probably even cause panic attacks if they become bad enough which could lead to nightmares I'm guessing. I stopped taking them after the 4th day & was immediately back to decent sleep & able to wake up for work"

Justkeepswimming (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Back in 2004 a friend who I worked with told me about St. John's Wort and that she swears by it. I started out on it and stayed on it for a few years and then got off it. I realized that my mood swings came back along with anxiety. I felt restless, bored, mad and on edge most of the time. I now have gone back to SJW with the 375's and can't be happier. My husband has trouble sleeping and he takes them and sleeps soundly. We all have something to share and SJW is by far the best out there."

Teshamarie November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I wanted to share my experience with St Johns Wort as I never leave reviews and am one to do tons of research before trying something new. I suffer from GAD and panic attacks. I have tried Zoloft a couple of times and the side effects were horrible so I wanted to try something more on the herbal side. I have been on St Johns Wort for a month now and its a miracle drug. I will say I started seeing results in the first week!!! I started at 300 mg per day now after a month I am taking 3 tablets at 300 mg per day. I feel like I got my life back. I no longer feel on edge or that panicky heart beating fast from anxiety feeling. I am much more calm and feel like I have better control of my thoughts. Once again miracle drug!"

Gorgeous KM November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I tried this as an alternative to SSRI's which always have adverse side effects for me and are ultimately not worth it. I initially tried a very small dose of just 300mg a day which works fairly well for mild depression and without being a life changer, certainly helps. I have also experienced an increased dose of 660mg a day which was an absolute help for more moderate depression but had slightly adverse side effects including vomiting and stomach cramps. The side effects were mild, the vomiting was after a period of fast heart beat that the pills caused so I lowered the dose again. So I'd say these are great as a mood enhancer for mild/moderate depression but keep an eye on the side effects, and ALWAYS take with or right after a full meal."

Lester Barry (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I wouldn’t say I was depressed as such because I never felt ‘low’. But I did however notice I was becoming increasingly irritable and had many mood swings. My partner was getting very upset with my frequent irritation and anger over the smallest of things and questions. I have been taking this for about a week and I have noticed a massive difference in my moods. I no longer get at all irritated over small things and am much more calm and rational. My partner says I am back to my old calm self. I have had zero side effects and simply feel ‘jolly’. I also wake up quicker and go about daily tasks much quicker. I am very impressed with this medication."

matty00721 October 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have had Seasonal Affective Disorder for the past two years. I would feel depressed, anxious and even suicidal. However when I learned about this, I started taking them, and it works wonders! I am so happy now! Keep in mind that this may have side effects.... for me I have some trouble sleeping after it and your appetite decreases. For some people the appetite part is good because they need to lose weight but not for me. I am a bit worried because I am already a bit under weight and I don’t want to lose any more weight. But I guess I’ll see :) Thank you St Johns Wort!!"

PinkCactus (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Been on SJW over 2 weeks now, for depression, still anger, arguing, sullen. I'm afraid that I am just a bad person and this can't help. I've been on Cipralex for over 7 years, put on too much weight so gradually reduced them from 20mg, to 15mg ,to 10mg ,to 5mg, then down to 2.5mg, and still felt good. My reductions carefully spread out over 5 months--- doc said " well if you are down to 2.5mg just stop cold turkey as that's a nothing dose". I believed him and stopped. That was 5 weeks ago and ALL MY DEPRESSION has come back even worse--crying nonstop , confrontational about everything, arguing, swearing under my breath when I have never sworn before, which made me turn to SJW, but they are not working for me as they seem to be doing for everyone else."

Solowdown (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I began taking Saint John's Wort in a low dose (300mg in the morning) almost immediately I started to feel better; it elevated my mood and my depression is about 2/10 being 1 no depression and 10 severe depression. I am now reducing my dose to zero, but I am starting to feel a bit depressed. I think I am going to continue on Saint John's Wort on a dose of 150mg daily."

luisito38 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was diagnosed with chronic depression and my therapist suggested I start taking meds for it. I hated the thought of taking something like that so I went online and found these pills and they are amazing. I bought them from amazon. I never noticed how bad my thoughts and moods were. I couldn't be the mother my children needed me to be and some days it would be hard for me to get out the bed or even leave the house. These pills started working within the first week of taking them. I also take 5 -HTP 200 mg along with the St Johns wort and they work wonders together. My negative thoughts are gone and I can get up and move and smile like I use to. I would recommend these pills to anyone, especially if you would rather have a natural alternative"

Jlb32 (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Last night I googled over the counter medicine for mild to moderate anxiety and depression. Found St John's Wort. Today I went to Walgreen's and the pharmacist recommended the exact same thing! I knew this would be perfect. I'm so thrilled that it's a natural herbal supplement too! The pharmacist said it would take 6 weeks to work. It's already working great. My mood is more stable I don't feel sad or anxious about anything. I feel relaxed. My mind doesn't feel heavy. It feels clear and it's great! I would totally recommend this product. The price was right too!"

Lisa Marti August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I'd been feeling hopeless about my constant depression and anxiety, and decided to try st. john's wort on a whim. I was extremely skeptical at first, because previous medications either gave me terrible side effects or made me feel worse. However, 2 weeks in, and my mind has stopped racing, I find it easier to concentrate, and I'm feeling positive about life for the first time in years. I'm on quite a relatively low dosage at the moment (200mg), so after this course I'll be trying 350mg to see if there is any further improvement. Long story short, I feel a lot better! Would recommend."

Danny151 July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I don't ever leave reviews for anything but I felt the need to leave this. After a few trails with medication that left me fearful to try more, I researched and tried this - mostly uplifted by the no side effects angle. It's supposed to take a few weeks to work but I noticed extreme results within a few days. It brought me out of my depression and quelled my anxiety so so well. I think I may have had a bit of insomnia due to it but this was cured by a cup of passionflower tea before bed. I had also lost my appetite for the better part of 2 months, losing 25 lbs. I am now eating as I had before! I did pair it with some light exercise and better eating but that was after. I just bought a brand from a local drugstore. A ++ for this"

Astounded (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I took this on top of taking SAM-E for depression and fatigue. I'll put the good first. This supplement is amazing. Makes me feel much more confident, much less socially anxious, and more able to be assertive, and have no fatigue. AND I am interested in things again. I feel joy from looking at the mountains and such. It started increasing my facial twitches from SAM-E which also Ritalin brought out. SJW feels kind of like a drug like Ritalin but with a much lower up. I've got to say I feel pretty good taking it. I take 350mg once in the morning, a double dose at 2:00, and a single dose again around 6:00. Sometimes I will take another dose around 10:00 p.m. I feel like I don't need the SAM-E anymore. Highly recommend."

Skyhawk117 June 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have dealt with moderate to severe depression on/off since my early 20s (I'm now almost 40). I have several antidepressants and found Zoloft was the only med that worked, so I remained on a dose of 100 mg for almost 10 years. I did try to wean myself off on 3 separate occasions, as I no longer wanted to be on pharma drugs, but every time I had terrible withdrawal symptoms. I finely decided to try St. John's Wort instead. I have been on 900mg daily for close to 1 year. St. John's Wort was helpful in combating the withdrawal symptoms I continued to have even weeks after discontinuing the Zoloft, but I continue to have mild depressed mood with irritability. I am going to stop St. John's Wort and try 5-HTP."

anita9 June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I recently (within the last year) started suffering from panic attacks. They were sudden and brought on out of nowhere. I've always suffered from anxiety, but given recent life changes, it had taken it's nasty toll into debilitating panic attacks. I had become so anxiety ridden that I was forgetful, overwhelmed and my mind felt like a racetrack. My doctor prescribed me 20 mg of fluexotine (generic Prozac) and I took it for about 2 weeks before I quickly realized it wasn't for me. I discovered St. John's Wort and Valerian Root and they have completely changed my life. The weight off the world is off of my shoulders and I feel so much more balanced. No more panic attacks and anxiety has been greatly reduced."

AMN1990 June 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Started taking this about 2 weeks ago. Honestly feel like it is helping. Felt like I could punch a wall before starting this med but feel much calmer now."

Nurse1017 April 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have suffered with depression and anxiety for years and planned on seeing someone for help. I wanted to explore more manageable and convenient (not to mention less costly) forms of help first. I was skeptical as I am constantly having panic attacks, heaviness in my chest as well as obsessive thoughts which seemed to take control of my reality. I took this first when I was at work obsessing about aspects of my life and accepted that it may or may not work. About 10-15 minutes later I noticed a weight off of my chest, I was not obsessing in my head and I just felt more balanced overall with my mood. I say it is worth a try if you would like to are struggling within yourself (also get help if this does not work). Good luck!"

Allybear April 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I recently quit smoking and smoking weed at the same time, I know from previous failed attempts that my low mood and anxiety was not helping me stay quit so I went to boots to see what they had. I found st johns wort 334mg tablets, I have to say I am amazed how much they have helped. Almost instantly they stopped my mind racing and craving for cigarettes and the thought of a joint is not even there which compared to previous attempts is remarkable. I am 5 days smoke free now and st johns wort has seen me through the worst :) I wouldn't say I feel happier yet but my anxiety and moods have improved massively which is amazing considering I'm doing this while quitting smoking at the same time."

Jackopowell April 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "St John's Wort has literally turned my life around. I've had issues with depression in the past and always managed to work my way through them without help, but my last bout a few months ago got me to the point where it was starting to affect my work and people were really noticing. My personality had changed, I was temperamental, losing concentration on the job, sleeping badly, arguing with my husband, all I wanted to do was be alone... Then on a doctor's recommendation I started taking SJW. I noticed the difference within days, and 5 weeks down the track I feel like I have not felt in years!! I admit I wasn't expecting it to do anything... but I could not have been more wrong."

South Aussie Girl March 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I suffer with dysthymia, which is a chronic low-grade depression. I have to say, I have definitely seen an improvement since I've started taking it. It's been about 2-3 weeks now and I'm already noticing some changes. I don't feel as "low" all the time and I find it easier to think positively so I can pull myself out of a negative mood. I also have much more motivation to do things; I can't think of the last time I've actually felt motivated enough to jump out of bed and get ready for the day the moment I wake up in the morning! I used to struggle to even wake up. It hasn't helped my OCD, anxiety, or BPD too much yet, but it's also only been a few weeks, so we'll see what happens ;)"

rose7557 March 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Only been on St. John's Wort for a couple of days, but so far, I'm optimistic. I'm a 39 year old female that has battled moderate depression and anxiety on and off for years. After watching my step mom turn into a pill popping, SSRI dependent maniac, I KNEW that I never wanted to take prescription drugs. I started off with 5HTP, but it just put me into a "fog" and I felt like the only reason my anxiety decreased was because all I wanted to do was sleep while on it. Enter St. John's Wort. I feel like I am better able to focus at work and get things done, and the constant "stomach churning" that I attribute to anxiety has gone away. I'll give another assessment in a few days."

ZenZeta (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I am a 27 y/o female, have been battling depression and anxiety for a few years now. As I transition into a nurse, I decided that enough is enough, I can't keep living my life with this anxiety and unhappiness. St. John's Wort works okay. I didn't notice a huge change in my mood. I was a little happier, but not much. The anxiety was still the same. The biggest change I noticed was that it made it easier for me to talk to people. I have social anxiety really bad. Reason I decided to stop taking it is bc one night I had super bad anxiety so I took a Xanax and it COMPLETELY CANCELED OUT the effect of my Xanax. Went into a full blown panic attack, had to call into work. This drug has a A LOT of interactions with other meds. Will be going on SSRI"

Ashley- RN (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety. I have been prescribed different antidepressants such as Zolof, lexapro, efexor.. which only made me sick. I tried st john wort and within 3 days I noticed the difference. After a week I felt like a new person. They are great, cheaper than antidepressants, you can get it from any pharmacy and they are natural. I would recommend it to anyone who suffers from anxiety, depression or has panic attacks. It also helps if you take additional supplements such as magnesium or calcium."

MarieDarie February 4, 2017