User Reviews for St. john's wort

Depression
8.5

Summary of St. john's wort reviews 8.5 76 reviews

Reviews for St. john's wort

For Depression: "I wanted to try this as an alternative to SSRIs. I have been taking it for a little over a month, and it's causing me SEVERE stomach upset, nausea, and vomiting. I can barely eat. I have to stop taking it altogether. It's also made my anxiety worse. I'm disappointed because I wanted it to work."

Badlands (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2018

For Depression: "I've been dealing with severe depression due to a divorce. So far I've tried Trintellix, Abilify, Rexulti, others and even Pramipexole and wellbutrin. Although some of these seemed to help a little it did nothing to really bring me out of the depression. I had no zest for life, didn't care about much at all, didn't look forward to anything. Wellbutrin seemed to help the most at getting some motivation but after a while it seemed to wane and caused a little anxiety. I was at my wits end so I tried St. John's wort. I've been taking 600MG 3x daily for 2 weeks. You want standardized dose of hyperforin in it. My mood has greatly increased and I find myself starting to think more positive thoughts about the future and look forward to things. It really takes 4-6 weeks to really work. I'll update this after two months. I recommend this. Read up on it as it can have severe interactions with other meds. Do your research and talk to your doc."

MC October 4, 2018

For Depression: "I have severe depression anxiety paranoia and borderline personality disorder. And this is the only thing to help me maintain my life. One time I ran out of St.Johns Wort for a almost two weeks and I was not OK I wasn't able to function. This saves my life and helps me to live a productive life. I still struggle with a few things but nothing I can't handle with St.Johns Wort. The only side effect I have is my vision. It's not to bad just have to do other things to help my vision. Best stuff ever"

Stormy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2018

For Depression: "IF YOU ARE TAKING THIS HERB PLS. SAVE YUR EYE SIGHT AND EYE HEALTH & STOP TAKING IT. This herb cured my severe depression for 11yrs. Recent eye tests are showing bad eye pressure changes, possible beginning glaucoma, cataract surgery maybe down the road. I looked up the latest research & forums & yes, St John's wort causes eye problems. My eyes have felt bad for quite awhile now. I'm stopping & trying saffron instead. I'm only 49, & don't want premature eye problems."

Ann (taken for 10 years or more) August 18, 2018

For Depression: "St John's wort did not improve my mood. I experienced food interactions (tyramine) and increased sensitivity to sun"

none (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2018

For Depression: "I love this stuff. I've taken it one time before and it has worked great both times. I would not consider myself to be clinically depressed, but my anxiety is always constant and sometimes becomes unmanageable and starts to effect my work life. Also, the two year anniversary of my dad's death is coming up soon and this is the time when his cancer really started to take it's toll on him, so I've been feeling some depression right now also. I've taken it twice and I'm already noticing some positive changes in my mood."

Maddy (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2018

For Depression: "I strongly recommend this for moderate depression and moderate anxiety. I had a work related breakdown and was on sick leave for 5 months. My doctor prescribed anti-depressants a few months in. I did not take them. I wanted a more natural approach. So I tried Saint John’s Wort. I started feeling better about 1 to 1.5 weeks in. I’ve been uphill ever since. It’s been 2 months. I feel great. My life is back on track. So I stopped taking it last week. Mild headaches once or twice in the first week starting up, and last week when I quit cold turkey. No other side effects."

Angie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2018

For Depression: "PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS WITH OTHER MEDICATIONS ESPECIALLY PRESCRIBED MEDICATIONS UNTIL SPEAKING WITH YOUR DOCTOR. SJW has helped me with my depression. For some the effects take time but me I felt the effects right away. I started with just taking one 300mg tablet each day. And now I take it twice a day. I noticed a major difference in my irritability. SJW doesn't not interact well with some medications for example birth control. Please do your research and/or speak to a Doctor before taking this. Can be dangerous if taken with the wrong medicine."

Michelle (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2018

For Depression: "I've been dealing with work stress for some time now experiencing mood swings and snapping at coworkers. I tried SJW about 10 years ago and recall that it helped me then so I started taking 3x300's tabs dosage today and immediately felt much more mellow. Dry mouth is the only side effect. I'll be sticking with SJW."

Markus (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2018

For Depression: "My menstrual cycle causes me to have intense mood swings and mild depression. I found I was feeling rather hopeless and angry. I was unable to handle conflict without turning sporadic and unpredictable. SJW has truly changed my life. I have not experienced any side effects. I am completely positive and able to remain calm in any situation. My boyfriend, friends, and family have all noticed a huge difference in the person I am. I am far more motivated to make significant changes in my life. I am the happiest I've been since my childhood and I owe it mainly to SJW. I cannot recommend it enough."

Josie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2018

For Depression: "I suddenly started thinking about life and death and about the meaning of this world, etc. I suffered from panic attacks and bunch of phobias showed up. I started realizing that I might be suffering from a moderate borderline severe depression. I didn’t want to see the psychiatrist because I didn’t want to talk about my feelings I didn’t recognize myself and couldn’t enjoy anything in life. So, I started taking it out on binge eating and gained 30lbs in two months. I started with holy basil tea and that seemed to help me with the panic attacks. However, the sadness and pessimism was still in me.Then I started taking valerian every late afternoon to tranquilize myself from anxiety. Then found out about Saint John wort. Started drinking three cups a day of the St johns wort tea because I read that tea gives almost immediate results compared to capsules. On the third day I noticed that I was able to sleep through the night without the valerian and in the morning was waking up happy."

happypenguin February 8, 2018

For Depression: "It works greatly but please continue reading to the end of the comment. I used it for depression and panic attacks, started with the tea then moved to tablets (3 times X 300mg daily). I never took an antidepressant before and I felt the effective immediately, but as the time went by I just felt better and better! Now after 3.5 months I feel as good as I was before my crisis began. I'm more focused and less worried, can't say I'm happy but I'm not sad anymore definitely. I strongly recommend it especially if you are avoiding medicines. Side effects is just dry mouth. Good luck!"

Anonym22018 January 24, 2018

For Depression: " I started taking SJW from December and it has helped me with the depression and anxiety and I was feeling so much more positive and never once felt down over the seasonal period. I take 1x370mg tablet in the early evening.The only setback is my sleep pattern has changed considerably and I find myself unable to sleep until 2:30am and when I finally get to sleep I can't get up in the morning as early as I used to. I find myself staying in bed longer - not feeling depressed or thinking of negative things - and I felt I am not in any hurry to get up like I used to."

Dottie77 (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2018

For Depression: "I started taking St John's wort after a recommendation from a family friend. A little background. Last year's begin taking celexa, it helped for a little bit but two weeks ago I decided it wasn't worth it. Especially because of the side effects. Anyway, I started taking St John's wort last week and immediately feel better. More focus, more control of my mind. I would recommend this to anyone who feels like they're life is out of control and are depressed because of it. I also recommend reading the book "The power of now". These two things combined have completely changed my outlook on life. Bottom line is, we all die. What's the point in being miserable all the time? This drug helps me stay balanced, and I think it will for you too if you try."

Jake333333 January 2, 2018

For Depression: "I have had restless leg syndrome for 30 years & it is 24 hours a day. I have tried many medications & ropinirole by far is the best prescription med. I have taken. But after so long on it, your body needs more of it to work properly. I have tried many herbal remedies over the years , with none of them able to help with this unbelievably torturous condition. Until I read a new report about St. John’s Wort having been tested & found to help & relieve symptoms of RLS. Well I did my research & got a bottle. Right from the start I got a good deal of relief. I had to try different brands & strengths , some are stronger then others & can react differently with each person , but over all I have found it quite effective in relieving RLS symptoms."

PJN December 31, 2017

For Depression: "I had intense panic attacks with heart palpitations & vomiting because I was under a lot of stress. Went to several Drs and all they did was prescribe me meds for schizophrenia which I refused to take (because I have anxiety disorder and not schizophrenia). Instead I tried St John's Wort but unfortunately I haven't noticed that it helped me much. I am still very anxious and tense and think negatively about everything. At times I feel relaxed for a short period but that's probably more due to my body naturally calming down on its own. In fact, 2-3 hours after taking a large dose (400mg) I would feel slightly more anxious than usual. So I stoped taking it."

FeelNervous (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2017

For Depression: "2 weeks ago I had a very intense panic attack with vomiting probably cuz of lots of stress and worries around me, and after that I had constant anxiety and my mind was a racing mess. Then I started taking St John's wort. At first I took an extremely small dose (40mg) but then I increased it to 3x200mg a day, and a few days later I decreased to 1x200mg. For the first 9 days I felt no considerable difference, but on the 10th day I subtly became more relaxed (but not too much), my mind was not racing as much, and I am more optimistic. Also appetite decreased. Not sure if it's from St John's wort or just my mind changing on its own. Will see how things go in future."

TroubledMan (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2017

For Depression: "I suffer with depression and now perimenapusal. I felt low angry argumentative struggled with every day life. I started taking SJW and I feel my old self. Enjoying life again. Motivated on every day tasks. Laughing. My husband totally agrees. Only side affect is slight stomach upset. Occasionally."

Kiaronnie (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2017

For Depression: "I have anxiety & have suffered with it for many years. My friend suggested SJW so I grabbed a weeks worth of capsules from her to give it a try. I had some severe side effects from this & didn't actually see much in improvement of my daily life. I had trouble getting to sleep, slept for 10+ hours every night even with work the next day. It kept me from caring about waking up for my job. This was mainly due to the anxiety dreams I had every night which is something I had never had before. They are different from nightmares, & they can probably even cause panic attacks if they become bad enough which could lead to nightmares I'm guessing. I stopped taking them after the 4th day & was immediately back to decent sleep & able to wake up for work"

Justkeepswimming (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2017

For Depression: "Back in 2004 a friend who I worked with told me about St. John's Wort and that she swears by it. I started out on it and stayed on it for a few years and then got off it. I realized that my mood swings came back along with anxiety. I felt restless, bored, mad and on edge most of the time. I now have gone back to SJW with the 375's and can't be happier. My husband has trouble sleeping and he takes them and sleeps soundly. We all have something to share and SJW is by far the best out there."

Teshamarie November 13, 2017

For Depression: "I wanted to share my experience with St Johns Wort as I never leave reviews and am one to do tons of research before trying something new. I suffer from GAD and panic attacks. I have tried Zoloft a couple of times and the side effects were horrible so I wanted to try something more on the herbal side. I have been on St Johns Wort for a month now and its a miracle drug. I will say I started seeing results in the first week!!! I started at 300 mg per day now after a month I am taking 3 tablets at 300 mg per day. I feel like I got my life back. I no longer feel on edge or that panicky heart beating fast from anxiety feeling. I am much more calm and feel like I have better control of my thoughts. Once again miracle drug!"

Gorgeous KM November 7, 2017

For Depression: "I tried this as an alternative to SSRI's which always have adverse side effects for me and are ultimately not worth it. I initially tried a very small dose of just 300mg a day which works fairly well for mild depression and without being a life changer, certainly helps. I have also experienced an increased dose of 660mg a day which was an absolute help for more moderate depression but had slightly adverse side effects including vomiting and stomach cramps. The side effects were mild, the vomiting was after a period of fast heart beat that the pills caused so I lowered the dose again. So I'd say these are great as a mood enhancer for mild/moderate depression but keep an eye on the side effects, and ALWAYS take with or right after a full meal."

Lester Barry (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2017

For Depression: "I wouldn’t say I was depressed as such because I never felt ‘low’. But I did however notice I was becoming increasingly irritable and had many mood swings. My partner was getting very upset with my frequent irritation and anger over the smallest of things and questions. I have been taking this for about a week and I have noticed a massive difference in my moods. I no longer get at all irritated over small things and am much more calm and rational. My partner says I am back to my old calm self. I have had zero side effects and simply feel ‘jolly’. I also wake up quicker and go about daily tasks much quicker. I am very impressed with this medication."

matty00721 October 28, 2017

For Depression: "I have had Seasonal Affective Disorder for the past two years. I would feel depressed, anxious and even suicidal. However when I learned about this, I started taking them, and it works wonders! I am so happy now! Keep in mind that this may have side effects.... for me I have some trouble sleeping after it and your appetite decreases. For some people the appetite part is good because they need to lose weight but not for me. I am a bit worried because I am already a bit under weight and I don’t want to lose any more weight. But I guess I’ll see :) Thank you St Johns Wort!!"

PinkCactus (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2017

For Depression: "Been on SJW over 2 weeks now, for depression, still anger, arguing, sullen. I'm afraid that I am just a bad person and this can't help. I've been on Cipralex for over 7 years, put on too much weight so gradually reduced them from 20mg, to 15mg ,to 10mg ,to 5mg, then down to 2.5mg, and still felt good. My reductions carefully spread out over 5 months--- doc said " well if you are down to 2.5mg just stop cold turkey as that's a nothing dose". I believed him and stopped. That was 5 weeks ago and ALL MY DEPRESSION has come back even worse--crying nonstop , confrontational about everything, arguing, swearing under my breath when I have never sworn before, which made me turn to SJW, but they are not working for me as they seem to be doing for everyone else."

Solowdown (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2017