User Reviews for Cosentyx to treat Ankylosing Spondylitis

Cosentyx has an average rating of 3.8 out of 10 from a total of 25 ratings for the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis. 24% of those users who reviewed Cosentyx reported a positive effect, while 64% reported a negative effect.

Cosentyx Rating Summary

3.8/10 average rating

Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Reviews for Cosentyx

jannyltd · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 22, 2021

“I was on Simponi for 5 years and worked great till it started to wear off and I got psoriasis. So my doctor tells me about Cosentyx and how it will help the AS and psoriasis at the same time. Got me on 150 mg, 5 doses then 1 monthly. Psoriasis worsened, now I am at the 9th dose and back pain is like when I was taking nothing at all. I see 300mg doses are recommended so that is my only hope if they increase the dose. P.S. psoriasis and itchy rash almost gone after treating it with corticosteroid creme. Before that it was just getting worse.”

Bill · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2021

“No response”

Scout W March 3, 2021

“Diagnosed with AS 11-20. Earlier in year I fractured my S/I joint from sports. Over 9 months docs treating me for fractured S/I joint. MRI’s continued to show growing edema up spine.Was on crutches for 6 months. Referred to rheum dr and was told I have AS. After the AS diagnosis, 5 weeks of loading dose (300). After that I went to once a month, still 300. I felt I had immediate positive results, big changes quickly. No need for the crutches. On monthly doses for 3 months.The quick positive changes have slowed down, but still feel better than in 2020. Occasional fatigue but I credit that to lack of activity for over a year. I went from playing competitive sports three nights a week to nothing, so I was out of shape. I’ve had none of the side effects I’ve read on these reviews except some fatigue. I’m willing to continue treatment. Had I read these reviews prior to starting treatment, I may have declined. I’m off crutches and I’m feeling better than I did. I’m in my 50’s.”

Tim · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2020

“I think these reviews need to be taken in context...most people rarely post positive comments about drugs, they are just to busy getting on with there lives, the people who have negative reactions are far more likely to post (and I feel deeply sorry for those for who it has not worked for) For me it’s been a life changer...I was on anti inflammatory meds, and sulfazalazine before, no anti-tnf. I started to feel better within 4-5 weeks of first injections (taken weekly). Now...no more aches and pains...no stiffness..this literally has been a miracle cure for me. I think it’s much more effective if you haven’t been on anti-tnf or similar before.”

TC · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2020

“I was in so much in pain. I was having a very hard to to get up from a chair. There are times someone had to help me up because I could not do it at all. I am in my 30s there are times I felt embarrassed to get help getting out of the chair. I got diagnose with AS in December. I started Cosentyx in February 2020. I been on Cosentyx going on three months. I feel like I have my life back. I do yoga and I am trying to do Pilates. I am finally free from the pain!”

Kathy · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2019

“I just completed my 5th weekly dosing of 300 mg. Now will be going monthly. My pain has decreased at least 80%. At this point, the medication has changed my significantly. Hoping going forward the results will be the same!”

Megs · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 19, 2020

“I've tried Enbrel with no change in inflammatory markers. I was on it for 3 months. I started Cosentyx single injections and my markers went sky high. I was put onto a double injection and my markers went down significantly. I don't feel any relief from pain, never have with any of the millions of things I've been prescribed. But all in all I've had a positive experience with cosentyx. Just wish I could get some help with my pain levels. I have just turned 31, and I feel as though I'm trapped in the body of an 80 year old. Somedays I really struggle with my diagnosis.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 7, 2021

“I started with Humira, had that for 3 years then out of the blue it stopped working. Was then on Benepali and got a allergic reaction to it (eczema under my feet and on hands etc). Was on no drugs what so ever for 4 months after that (and had worst pain ever, even worse than how it was before started with Humira). Then I started with Cosentyx and it has so far -knock on wood- worked great. I am absolutely pain free and have more or less no side effects. 'More or less side effects'...I have had the same side effects of all of these drugs (except the allergy). I am fatigued, every now and then I have some bowel problems and headaches. But I can live with that because I am nevertheless feeling better than with no treatment and even the fatigue I get from the disease is worse than the fatigue from the treatment. This disease will never go away and I'm just happy that there are some treatments that actually work”

Posso Postans January 27, 2017

“Hi, I have had this aggressive illness since the age of 20. I am now 31 and have been put onto cosentyx. I just had my first injection today and have had less pain and stiffness already. Given that i had tried every other treatment option this was the last form of treatment for Ankylosing spondylitis. No side effects as yet. Hope this treatment is the one. Regards, Posso”

Anky spond spine · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2019

“Started secukinaumab 4 weeks ago and what a load of rubbish it is. I was told that it is a brilliant medication which after researching it its not at all. Was on Enbrel for 12 years and it worked very well till they put me on Benepali (etanercept in UK) then after 3 months back on Enbrel brand which just didn't seem to work anymore and now on secukinaumab. I feel like rubbish, I've got mouth sores and stomach just feels sore and very bloated. Drs will prescribed you anything when they get bonuses from prescribing it. I'm gonna ring the hospital and tell them I wanna stop it and try something else as I just want my life back.”

Jq · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

“I've never been so disappointed by the results of something in my life. Since switching to Cosentyx my ankylosing spondylitis symptoms have worsened x 10. I have no movement in my neck, constantly eating pain killers and anti inflammatory drugs besides taking Cosentyx itself. I haven't felt this much pain in my entire life, should seriously be discontinued, all this drug is, is a false hope”

Hopen to feel better. December 18, 2016

“After fourth injections started light headed, nausea, feel like diarrhea constant, ear drainage, white stuff in eyes, very tired, sleeping ten to fourteen hours a day. Doctor will not call me back. Don't know what to do!!!!!”

Desperate Dan · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 16, 2018

“In January I felt that Enbrel stopped working for me after years of great relief. Doctor started me on Cosentyx, I have taken the 5 doses of the loading dose and feel horrible! Diarrhea, irritable bowel, terrible mouth sores, light headed, and general malaise. I never had bowel issues before this. Doctor wants me to give it more time (I'm due for an injection this week) but the side effects have thrown my life into a tailspin! I want my Enbrel life back, this is no way to live. I have to plan my work around access to a bathroom in a hurry and I speak funny because the sores all over my tongue hurt while speaking.”

Ayoobi November 29, 2016

“Nightmare with this drug. Prescribed it for AS but also suffer from ulcer colitis. Not only did it flare up my colitis but also left me with peripheral joint swelling and pain. My joint pain had previously been extremely well controlled with Humira and Simponi until they lost efficacy. Humira was by far the best medication I have been on.”

butterfly8184 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 13, 2017

“My husband switched Rheumy's & the new doc felt Remicade was not longer controlling his AS as his C-spine has started to fuse. After 3 months of talking up the benefits of Cosentyx my husband made the switch. Worse decision ever. Quality of life is horrible, he lives in his recliner once again. Back pain severe. Joints swollen, which never happened before. And the worst part 3 bouts of upper respiratory infections, last one is now pneumonia. Doc says at first not the Cosentyx...but it's a side effect I say. Duh. Very disappointed. Hope he can restart Remicade.”

pas2 February 6, 2018

“Severe as for 54 years-bilateral hip replacements 30 years ago-total fusion of spine-Benn, on Remicade for 10 plus years. Doc gave me a 150mg injection of consentyx 1 week post 200 mg Remicade infusion. Stared shaking uncontrollably for an hour followed by chills until early morning. Then the whole body itching and runny nose started followed by hives near the injection site. My eyes were the worst and wouldn't stop itching and I started wheezing with each breath. Took almost 30 days for the symptoms to stop. Told the doc and she thought it was just a cold and wanted to continue cosentryx. Absolutely no way I would take it again. Back to Remicade. Tip-what also helps my AS is doxicyline-100 once per day. Try it.”

Tinker bell 1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2018

“Stated this drug forAnkylosing spondylitis as in October after other biologics stopped working on 150mg monthly. Very light headed, fatigued joints, sore, tired all the time. I don't think this one has helped at all. I have a review with rheumatoglist on 20th Feb (1st review since starting this biologic) I'm gonna tell him it is no better. I've had AS from 2001 so know by now what works found Enbrel was the best 1 for me till it stopped working”

GMR 74 January 4, 2018

“This drug caused me nothing but grief ! It was not worth the side effects for the tiny fraction of relief !! By month 3 I had a bad case of tonsilitis which I could not get rid of ! I always felt ill, with swollen glands , tired and very fatigued ! Even after a tonsillectomy which was horrible and never healed right , I feel like garbage !”

Mwald · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2018

“Was on loading dose for 5 weeks. Then increased by 50mg every two weeks, upped to 300gm after 4 months loss of mobility back ankle shoulder pain lots of inflammation. I was thriving on embrel but had to come off it 6 months in deteriorating and now will have to go back to drawing board.”

Paul · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 19, 2021

“I have been using COSENTYX for 12 months. It was scary. Constant fatigue, stomach problems, terrible stagnation. I couldn’t go normally or roll over in bed. My spine and knees became completely flexed. Convulsions in the legs began.”

AS'er · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2016

“I've finished the 5 week loading dose 3 weeks ago. It is not working for Ankylosing Spondylitis. I am very disappointed. My Dr is upping my dose to 300 mg and I hope that will work.”

andrea78 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 8, 2018

“This is simply horrible ... diarrhea, fatigue more pain. Novartis change this drug.”

AS'er November 7, 2016

“I finished the loading dose with no improvement. My Dr upped me to 300 mg. I'm on month 4, I'm very fatigued and still in pain so I'm not impressed with it. I'm also experiencing mouth sores.”

Micklenator · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 12, 2018

“Not long after starting this medication I ended up being rushed into hospital with a perforated bowel and sepsis. I nearly died due to complications and spent a few weeks on intensive care.”

Diva Arthry · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 28, 2019

“Cosentyx did not works at all, and as it has been one of the most expensive biological out there - you think is going to work.”

Ironknees · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 14, 2018

“It worked well a year into taking the drug. I experienced erectile dysfunction (ED) issues while taking this medication. Hence, the 5/10 rating for this medication.”

Redneck · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2018