Cosentyx Side Effects
Generic Name: secukinumab
Note: This document contains side effect information about secukinumab. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Cosentyx.
Common side effects of Cosentyx include: infection and nasopharyngitis. Other side effects include: diarrhea. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to secukinumab: subcutaneous solution
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, secukinumab (the active ingredient contained in Cosentyx) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking secukinumab:
- Body aches or pain
- difficulty with breathing
- ear congestion
- hives or welts, itching, or skin rash
- loss of voice
- redness of the skin
Incidence not known
- difficulty with swallowing
- fast heartbeat
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- rectal bleeding
- severe diarrhea
- severe stomach pain
- tightness in the chest
- weight loss
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to secukinumab: subcutaneous powder for injection, subcutaneous solution
Common (1% to 10%): Diarrhea, oral herpes
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Oral candidiasis
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Immunogenicity
Frequency not reported: Candida infections, herpes viral infections, staphylococcal skin infections, infections requiring treatment (increased as serum concentration of this drug is increased), neutropenia[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Nasopharyngitis (up to 12.3%)
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Neutropenia[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Cosentyx (secukinumab)." Novartis Pharmaceuticals, East Hanover, NJ.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of plaque psoriasis?
- How long does Cosentyx take to work?
- How and where do you inject Cosentyx?
- Can I get a flu shot while taking Cosentyx?
- Does Cosentyx treat Rheumatoid Arthritis?
More about Cosentyx (secukinumab)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 152 Reviews
- Drug class: interleukin inhibitors
- FDA Approval History