User Reviews for S-adenosylmethionine

Also known as: SAMe, Natrol SAMe, Adomet

S-adenosylmethionine has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 32 ratings on Drugs.com. 73% of those users who reviewed S-adenosylmethionine reported a positive effect, while 24% reported a negative effect.

Depression  Off-label
7.3
Summary of S-adenosylmethionine reviews 6.8 32 reviews

Reviews for S-adenosylmethionine

Chronically depressed March 20, 2021

SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine) for Herbal Supplementation: “I increased my dose over the course of a month, under the direction of a psychiatric nurse practitioner, to 1600mg. Initially I had nausea, headaches, and anxiety. These symptoms have lessened. The nausea and anxiety make my disordered eating habits (mild anorexia) difficult to manage. I have tracked my depression in a chart daily and my depression has steadily worsened. Last week (during my PMS week) I felt suicidal and afraid of my impulsivity. I have been mostly in bed for two to three weeks, partially due to weather and not having a cozier place to do my schoolwork. Lifestyle changes have given me more hope, like changes to my environment and deciding to get a part time job (I am an online student) to provide more structure and purpose. I am still struggling, however. Weaning myself off SAMe week by week. I don’t think that medication is the answer for me and will focus on making practical changes in my life.”

Carla March 13, 2021

For Depression: “Best supplement ever for my type of depression (dysthymia/anxiety/ADD; the type were you have no motivation, can sleep all day instead of insomnia etc.). I also have mild/moderate CFS. It's like I'm missing this in my body. Works in 1 week for me, but I am very sensitive. 200 doesn't do a lot, 1000 made me very anxious, 400-600 seems to be the sweet spot. HOWEVER :-( : After 6 weeks or so the antidepressant effect goes away. Also, after a few months use I started to feel nauseous (I take it in the morning before food and for the first 2 hours my stomach is a bit upset). When I stopped once I felt awful btw. I would highly recommend tapering off. Nevertheless I can't live without this anymore. It still works amazing for my ADD/concentration and I am less lethargic, need less sleep. My next step is trying to add Saffron to the mix. I think it works best for people who need both serotonin ánd dopomanine/norephinedrine. I take Now Foods brand.”

soulful · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2021

For Depression: “I've been taking SAM-e for two months now and noticed a slight elevation in my mood. I also want to support my liver function which it claims to do. But after taking 800mg once a day for eight weeks, my right kidney is in pain and I feel worse than before taking it. Be careful with this supplement! I never had kidney issues before taking it.”

Mic August 8, 2020

For Depression: “I'm a 50 year old male who has suffered with depression and anxiety all my adult life. I have probably tried most of the prescription medication available. My experience has found that all the prescription medications the side effects in the end out way the benefits. I have experimented with many non-prescription drugs and finally found, for myself anyway these combinations to work better than prescription medications. My personal research has taken a decade. 1, SAM-e - has elevated my moods, energy and rid me of anxiety. No other drug has managed to do this. 2, Lithium Orotate 5mg. 3, 5-HTP, 400mg taken in the evenings along with 4, Melatonin 0.3mg as I have always had issues with sleep. This combination will take at least 6 weeks as I did need to titrate the SAM-e as a high dose too soon will cause some anxiety and a feeling of the jitters. It has been three months and I feel like I did when I was a child with no issues, depression or anxiety. This has changed my life.”

Nope · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 15, 2018

SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine) for Herbal Supplementation: “Have used SAMe off and on to relieve osteoarthritis pain and to boost activity level secondary to depression. Had severe abdominal pain and nausea after taking one brand of SAMe. Had similar issue with an OTC medicine to treat the GI disturbance. The common element was mannitol — a sugar alcohol that is present in some supplements and otc medicines. Read online that this sugar alcohol can trigger severe GI disturbance in some people. I searched for and found a brand of Sam-e without mannitol or any other sugar alcohols. There has been no reoccurrence of GI upset.”

Nick09 July 27, 2017

SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine) for Herbal Supplementation: “I have been taking SSRI's for 25 years. Still, I have had periods of sadness which increase to an overall sense of lack of interest, eventually, seemingly the whole spectrum of depression. I had been taking 400mg./day for a year and didn't notice anything beneficial. Someone (an MD) suggested I might try 1600mg. of Sam-e along with a Vitamin B supplement. It was incredible that about 3 hours later I suddenly sensed a complete disappearance of sadness. It was absolutely amazing given that these episodes of sadness had plagued me for many years. I will continue to take them for as long as the rest of my life since this one medication suggestion (sam-e and Vit. B complex has almost single-handedly turned me around.”

HappyAgain · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2021

SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine) for Herbal Supplementation: “I’ve had severe depression and anxiety for years and I avoid antidepressants because of the side effects I experienced previously. SAMe has changed me. Since starting it I have felt so stabilized in my mood that I can’t really dwell on the sadness and negative thoughts I used to all day every day. I finally feel normal. However I do feel mildly nauseous throughout the day. This helps me not to eat too much though so it’s not too bad. I does seem to give me the boost I need to get through the day too. I make sure I get my B vitamins in with it. I purchased mine at Walmart.”

WackyKathy · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 23, 2016

SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine) for Herbal Supplementation: “I've been taking SAM-e for years, heard about it on a PBS Special covering depression. It has been mentally beneficial; my moods are much brighter & my behavior is steadier. I don't ever see myself not taking it. There are downsides, however. Anyone considering this medicine must realize that: (1) You cannot be a causal taker; once on it you need to stick with it, because it will make your depression worse if you aren't careful with dosing or wean yourself off of it. (2) It can cause sleeplessness, always take it in the morning (or plan to take a sleep aid in the eve). (3) It is expensive; shop around. (4) You take the enteric coated on an empty stomach for effectiveness. (5) It takes roughly 3 weeks before relief of symptoms occurs.”

Smiley · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2020

For Depression: “Due to COVID and unable to move at this time I have anxiety and getting more depressed daily. I had bought SAM-E 200mg ages ago but somehow forgot to take it?! It was brought to my attention that it works so I started taking it and the result was none less than astonishing. My spirits lifted, I feel calm and so much happier. It was that awful sadness that was getting me down. So good to feel I can cope with the problem now. Take it before breakfast with tea only..It works fast and have no side effects.”

Iddle · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2020

For Depression: “I really wanted Sam-e to work for me as I've been struggling with severe anxiety and mild depression for years. Taking it however, made me feel like I was going crazy. I felt like I was rapidly circling through manic and depressed episodes throughout the day, going from extremely happy and energetic, have thoughts rush through my head to feeling super bad and extremely anxious, I didn't know what to do with myself. I've actually impulsively gotten on a plane to Scotland. Honestly, it was such a weird experience. Maybe the extreme effect came from an underlying mood disorder, who knows, but I'm never taking Sam-e again and I just thought I should share my experience.”

Angel · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2020

For Depression: “Today was day 2 on SAMe which I was taking for depression, I feel like it is starting to work, I don't feel the same sadness all day, I am hoping that I continue to get better, I hate this feeling of sadness and some certain images that pop into my head periodically throughout the day, really scaring me, never experienced depression before until this year after my 25 yr old son was diagnosed with cancer. I feel broken. Doctor prescribed me Effexor & Lexapro but both made me terribly sick, I was actually worse off, my mind was going crazy. I really hope SAM e works for me, I'm desperate.”

Derf · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 23, 2019

For Depression: “Careful with this stuff guys and gals. I believe it helped cure my depression. I took it for almost 2 years and only stopped cold turkey due to sudden Severe GI discomfort. After I stopped depression never returned thank goodness. However seemed to have kidney issues since started taking it. Now about 5 years after stopping having some significant kidney issues. I know this is common with several meds but had no warning sign this since it’s not FDA approved. Proceed with caution is all I say. God bless.”

Chris · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2020

For Osteoarthritis: “I have never been blown away by a natural supplement like Sam-e. A year after major back surgery and a hip replacement, I was in more pain than before the surgeries.. chronic.. debilitating pain. I researched sam-e and decided to try it. Started with two 400 mg tablets a day and after a week, I felt like my pain was decreasing. I increased to three tablets a day and it's now been a month.. and I'm a new man. Sam-e is remarkable. It not only works for joint pain, but also overall muscle and body pain.. my mobility is returning to normal... a fabulous supplement :)”

b · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2020

For Depression: “I’ve been on it for a week. I definitely feel like it’s lifted my depression some. I’ve been moderately to severely depressed for the last 3 years. I feel good, but the side effects are no joke. First day I took it, I felt dizzy, was sweating profusely, and vomited. The stomach pains were a 10 on a pain scale. I took it again the next day with plenty of water and on an empty stomach. The stomach pain was less, but still a solid 7. By day 3, the stomach pain was just uncomfortable. It’s been about a week now, but today I took it on an empty stomach and my stomach pains have been sharp for the last SIX hours and I feel nauseous almost all the time. The side effects are not worth working through so I’m going to switch to something else.”

GBJ 1.23 May 11, 2017

SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine) for Herbal Supplementation: “I've been taking Sam e for about 2 years, with a brief period of about 2 weeks when I stopped and quickly realized just how much this medication was helping me. I decided to try it due to increasing feelings of sadness and irritation (I have small kids at home and felt like my temper was getting shorter and shorter!). At first I thought it was helping "a little" but stopped because of the cost. About a week later I noticed I was becoming less and less tolerant to small things. When restarted the short temper quickly faded and I've stayed on it since.”

Lyds · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 9, 2020

For Depression: “Having suffered from anxiety and depression for almost 2 decades I have been through a number of treatments. I had SAMe given to me by my naturopath to treat the severe anxiety. My dose is only 200g and I always take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach to avoid GI and sleep issues. I was instructed to take this for a few weeks every day until I felt my anxiety was gone, meaning my levels were up, and then to stop taking it until I thought my symptoms were starting to return. For me that means one or two days in a row taking it, once or twice a month. It’s an expensive medication so this works well for me. I have felt something akin to anxiety while taking it, like my mind moving faster than I could keep up with, but this is rare and generally a sign for me I’ve got enough in my system. Additionally I take zinc and magnesium daily and this combination has returned my quality of life and I’m no longer on prescription medications.”

Serapy · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 11, 2018

For Depression: “I've been taking SAMe close to two years now. I was taking a 400mg dose about twice a day on an empty stomach before I was pregnant and have now been back to it again. I find not only does it help with my mood, I feel very motivated to get things done. I can actually finish a task. I work in a health supplement store so I had tried nearly everything to help with my random bouts of depression. It's also great for liver and joints. I make sure to always take it on an empty stomach with some sort of caffeinated beverage. I love it! I need to research long term effects because I feel like I will be on this stuff for life.”

supplement_guru · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 24, 2019

For Depression: “Within a week of taking 400 mg s-adenosylmethionine twice a day, I experienced a deep sense of clarity, peacefulness, freedom from sadness, increased energy, and an overall significant improvement of my depression. However, after about a month further, the effects oddly seemed to fade. I’ve since tried 800 twice a day without much recurrence of that clarity. Regardless, it was worth a few side effect-free weeks of peace. I highly recommend giving this a try, especially because of the remarkably low occurrence of side effects.”

Not happy 2 December 2, 2016

SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine) for Herbal Supplementation: “I took the medicine for 2 days. One pill per day, on the third day I woke up fine and fifteen minutes later I had severe abdominal pain, sweating enough to drench my shirt and head, disorientated, dizzy, and vomiting.I ended up in the ER and after blood work, an EKG, and a CT scan they couldn't find anything. They could tell me what it wasn't'. They sent me home with anti nauseous medicine. So two days go by and I realize I have not taken my supplement for arthritis so I take it that afternoon and by evening I have severe abdominal pain, dizziness and vomiting. Pretty sure it was the SAMe because I have felt fine since not taking any.”

AlennaM · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 24, 2016

SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine): “I was shocked how fast this worked. I've been a long distance runner for years but have gradually gained weight thanks to menopause and occasional binge eating. Had to stop running (or even walking) for 8 months because of ankle tendon tear and gained even more weight, plus many of my joints became very stiff and achy - especially in the mornings. My ankle finally healed, and I tried to return to simple walking - I was in constant pain when I moved, ankles, knees, lower back. Ibuprofen bothered my stomach. I tried SAMe (a 400mg tablet) and 3 hours later the pain was 80% gone. I've continued it (400mg twice a day) for 2 months now and am walking again. Added benefit - it's helped me lose weight (no more feelings like I want to binge).”

TBone · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 2, 2019

For Depression: “After 20 yrs of antidepressants and anti anxiety meds I decided to give Sam-E (s-adenosylmethionine) a try. It really helps with moderate depression. Does not help with anxiety. Tried it for several months until I realized it was giving me panic attacks and insomnia.”

Anonymous February 10, 2011

SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine): “I have found SAMe to be superb at relieving the symptoms of depression. I live with chronic severe pain and even though my pain medicines are very effective depression was a significant part of my life until I tried SAMe. I can't take any of the tricyclic medicines - severe adverse reactions to that whole family of antidepressants but SAMe works and has no side effects at all. I just feel like me again.”

Ukie December 21, 2014

SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine) for Osteoarthritis: “I like SAMe it keeps my mood even and I have arthritis and anxiety. Have had pain remission ever since starting SAMe over 8 months ago. I take it with Super B Complex which is recommended to keep homocysteine levels even . It works great as a mood elevator. Love it”

mm September 18, 2020

For Depression: “I tried SAME-e a few years ago after my dad died. (200-400mg morning huge glass of water) It was amazing, worked really quick and I found the years of intermittent years of depression vanished (took for a few months) I weaned off and was fine until I started perimenopause symptoms so I thought I would try again and see if it would help the lows and highs. Its only been a week and it has stabled them (also taking 300mg magnesium) its also helped my joint pain significantly but it hasn't help the anxiety and I have bloating bad. The first few days I was agitated dizzy and felt a bit manic but I remember that from last time and it settled now after a week. I am going to keep taking it for the joint pain and the depression even though it hasn't help the anxiety, I just hope the bloating calms down as I feel like it puts pressure on my heart.”

Blue Skies · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2018

For Depression: “At the recommendation of my Doctor, I started taking SAM-E for depression. She recommended 400 mgs, 2 x a day without food. I had to immediately stop the PM or before bed dose as it was too activating for me. I have sleep issues as well and noticed that after taking I was waking up several times a night and staying awake. I stayed on the AM dose for about three weeks and eventually had to stop that dose as well due to increased anxiety, panic and agitation. It sounds from the other reviews like this is a great supplement for those who do not have co-occurring anxiety.”

Mndylynn90 August 23, 2017

For Depression: “I have suffered from severe depression for over 7 years. I was on a prescription medication and found once I turned 26 that my insurance would no longer cover that prescription. It had been the only pill I could get to work but withou insurance I couldn't afford the $250 a month for these pills. Then I found sam-e. It has helped keep my mood stable and kept my depression symptoms at bay. Plus $60 a month is way more affordable. I hope this continues and I will be a sam-e customer for life.”

3023027833-0-21 July 7, 2017

For Depression: “I sometimes have mood problems, which I believe are related to blood sugar issues because when I am careful to not consume refined sugars, I feel much better. I also experience joint pain because of the decades of physical labour. I have been taking SAMe for more than 15 years, 200 mg every morning before breakfast. It affects me in a subtle way, It seems to pick my mood up a bit. I can't take it at night before I go to bed because it makes my brain overactive and I can't sleep. Lately, I've been searching the Internet for information about the long term side effects because I am a little worried about taking this substance regularly for such an extended period of time. The dosage is low (200 mg daily), but still, 15 years is a long time”

Keno July 28, 2020

For Depression: “Took s-adenosylmethionine and it makes me feel ok for around an hour, then the rest of the day is filled with heightened anxiety. Have tried it several times and the effect is always the same. Not for me.”

More about s-adenosylmethionine