User Reviews for S-adenosylmethionine

Also known as: Adomet, Natrol SAMe, SAMe

Learn more about S-adenosylmethionine.

Herbal Supplementation 1 reviews 19 medications

Depression 3 reviews 80 medications

8.7
Osteoarthritis 3 reviews 345 medications

6.3
Summary of S-adenosylmethionine reviews 7 reviews 8.0

Reviews for S-adenosylmethionine

SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine) for : "I was shocked how fast this worked. I've been a long distance runner for years but have gradually gained weight thanks to menopause and occasional binge eating. Had to stop running (or even walking) for 8 months because of ankle tendon tear and gained even more weight, plus many of my joints became very stiff and achy - especially in the mornings. My ankle finally healed, and I tried to return to simple walking - I was in constant pain when I moved, ankles, knees, lower back. Ibuprofen bothered my stomach. I tried SAMe (a 400mg tablet) and 3 hours later the pain was 80% gone. I've continued it (400mg twice a day) for 2 months now and am walking again. Added benefit - it's helped me lose weight (no more feelings like I want to binge)."

AlennaM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine) for Herbal Supplementation: "I've been taking SAM-e for years, heard about it on a PBS Special covering depression. It has been mentally beneficial; my moods are much brighter & my behavior is steadier. I don't ever see myself not taking it. There are downsides, however. Anyone considering this medicine must realize that: (1) You cannot be a causal taker; once on it you need to stick with it, because it will make your depression worse if you aren't careful with dosing or wean yourself off of it. (2) It can cause sleeplessness, always take it in the morning (or plan to take a sleep aid in the eve). (3) It is expensive; shop around. (4) You take the enteric coated on an empty stomach for effectiveness. (5) It takes roughly 3 weeks before relief of symptoms occurs."

WackyKathy (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2016

SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine) for Osteoarthritis: "It works but side effects with digestion so bad Had to stop it."

Heywood (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine) for Osteoarthritis: "I like SAMe it keeps my mood even and I have arthritis and anxiety. Have had pain remission ever since starting SAMe over 8 months ago. I take it with Super B Complex which is recommended to keep homocysteine levels even . It works great as a mood elevator. Love it"

Ukie December 21, 2014

For : "SAMe works fast. I feel some relief the first day I take it. My Mom passed away and I was having trouble with depression. It takes the edge off the depression so I can function. However after a few months I started to get nerve pain. Sharp, stabbing pain (like a bee sting)in extremities-I quit the med and the pain slowly went away. It took a few weeks to be completely gone."

Buffett luvr March 31, 2014

For Depression: "I had read up on this drug before using it and multiple sources stated that it could help with depression. I was on it for about a week before I noticed any positive changes in my mood, so I can attest to its effectiveness against combating depression. The downside for this drug is that I experienced all of the "less" severe symptoms and I must say that they were pretty sever. On the second day of taking the drug I experienced dizziness to the point that I fainted in public and that very same day I had a horrible bout of nausea and vomiting. I vomited to the point that there was nothing left in my stomach and I was just vomiting bile and blood from my raw throat. This works great for depression but I'm going to use something else."

sb4270 March 27, 2014

For Depression: "I have had noticeable benefits with mood support in the years that I have been on and off of SAMe. It has helped me to be less vulnerable to depression and to better control my anxiety. I took 200 mg each morning for a few years and have now been taking 400 mg each morning for a few months now. I have not had any joint problems, but I partially attribute that to SAMe (as a preventative). I have had no side effects and my only discouraging factor was cost, as it is not covered by insurance and is expensive at many retail outlets. I found it online for a much more affordable rate and have been able to take it consistently now."

geobrad7 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 19, 2013

For Depression: "I have been depressed for almost 3 years. I feel myself fine only a couple hours a week and it feels good, so I have been making my research on fighting the disease without antidepressants, so I work out, eat right, only eat fresh nonprocessed food. I made me feel less pain, and it so delightful, but I still can not be funny, can't just have a casual talk and I cant learn, retell the content of what i just read. Today started taking S-adenosylmethionine. After taking a 2 200mg pills I ate a little and went to bed, but when I woke up I felt like I want to be doing something, I feel less tension and I hope the result will repeat tomorrow. I as well read that fixing your memory can help you fight depression. So try Vinpocetine Huperzin-a"

snakesnake February 7, 2013

SAMe (s-adenosylmethionine) for : "I have found SAMe to be superb at relieving the symptoms of depression. I live with chronic severe pain and even though my pain medicines are very effective depression was a significant part of my life until I tried SAMe. I can't take any of the tricyclic medicines - severe adverse reactions to that whole family of antidepressants but SAMe works and has no side effects at all. I just feel like me again."

Anonymous February 10, 2011

For Osteoarthritis: "During my treatment of depression and RA--it seemed all the medicines stopped working at the same time. I was taking Cymbalta. I tapered off of it and tried Pristiq which worked horribly. I stopped taking them all and researched natural remedies for depression--came across lithium orotate and SAMe. I have been taking both for a couple of months now--seems to keep me level and out of the depressed state that I was in, so for now it seems to be working."

roxdreamer2 March 9, 2010