User Reviews for Saw palmetto

Also known as: Prostate SR

Learn more about Saw palmetto.

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia 8 reviews 15 medications

Summary of Saw palmetto reviews 9 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Saw palmetto

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I took many drugs and tried with different remedies but the only thing that actually helped me was a supplement named alpharise, it has zinc, saw palmetto, B9."

StephenD80 December 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Herbal Supplementation: "Please don't use saw palmetto. It is not a treatment. It is a poison. After using for few months I got very sick, like hitting a strong flu. My whole body ache, my joints ache , my appetite gone.I am 100% impotent and have got gynecomestia. Due to the damage to my body I have lost my job too. Many years have passed by but I am suffering like the day one."

sp2000 October 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I've been taking saw palmetto for 16 years. I started with Nature's Sunshine (the very best) but now take Swanson just because it is cheaper. It works for me as well, despite the negative reviews. I take two capsules with breakfast and two capsules late in the evening with a snack. It does wonders for urinary stream size and for diminishing the feeling that you need to urinate. From experience, and from research, I can vouch that it does four other things as well. 1) It increases circulation, and like all herbs that increase circulation, it does thin the blood slightly so do not take it if you are on a blood thinner unless the doctor gives you permission to take saw palmetto and less blood thinner. 2) It is a diuretic. 3) It helps prevent baldness by hindering testosterone from turning into dihydrotestosterone. 4) Believe it or not, it also helps with sleep. "

PaulRevere (taken for 10 years or more) January 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I believe that the people having side effects from Saw Palmetto are actually having side effects from the solvents used in extracting the active ingredients in manufacturing. Solvents such as Hexane leave residue and are extreme toxic. Only Saw Palmetto extracted using high-pressure carbon dioxide should be consumed. This is the safest method known."

bptr July 29, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Doing well on 450mg capsules, and on a teaspoon of bulk powder in a 10 oz. cup of green tea with lemon juice added."

Louiesplace (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 26, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I actually had really good results with 1000 mg of saw palmetto once a day. My hair loss appeared to reverse itself noticeably. My somewhat swollen prostate issue decreased. I didn't have any sexual side effects. But about 3 weeks into the use, I developed a horrible rash one my belly and my back. It stayed with me until I stopped using saw palmetto and then it disappeared within about 3 days. I kept using the saw palmetto for an additional 2 months before stopping it."

pjc33 June 5, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Saw Palmetto works well, but has an unfortunate and often unrecognized side effect. The recommended dose will cause very painful finger joints with extended use. Most users think it is simply their arthritis getting worse, as most patients are older men who are subject to arthritis anyway. A blend containing stinging nettle seems to cause less problems, in this respect."

Anonymous January 15, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "A lot cheaper than Flomax. Works great if taken regularly. "

Helpmom221 January 25, 2010

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I tried Saw Palmetto for approximately 2 years for a mild urinary problem - slow start, weak, intermittent stream, up 2-3 times per night. It didn't take care of the problem, but seemed to help some. As time went on, I increased the dose from 1,000 to 2,000 mg/day to achieve the same amount of relief. I tried stopping altogether and my problem got worse. Overall, I would say Saw Palmetto helps a little and may be worth a try - at least there are no side effects."

Anonymous August 7, 2009