User Reviews for Metamucil to treat Constipation

Metamucil has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 24 ratings for the treatment of Constipation. 63% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Metamucil Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Metamucil

shells44 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2019

“This should be a recommendation for most seniors. I never had a "pooping issue' until I went past 70. I have diverticulosis, gastric reflux and a hiatal hernia and now constipation that is hardly good for my BMs. I eat a lot of fiber laden food and still it an be a difficult "go". My gastroenterologist recommended Metamucil and what a change. Softer, fuller and easier to go. Since seniors can get sometimes fatal blockage this should be the first choice to help prevent that not the stronger Miralax that originally was by prescription, of course once you have been checked over by a doctor.”

Hope · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2020

“I was having stool that had ribbon-like form. And, I had begun to miss several days having a bowel movement, which was unusual for me. My gastroenterologist suggested Metamucil. Thank God I'd read a review saying the person's blood would elevate when taking Metamucil. I was desperate, and had read that Metamucil could actually lower your blood pressure. I have high blood pressure that's usually pretty controlled with medication. My blood pressure began to increase each day I took Metamucil. Now it's way out of control. Unfortunately I will need to stop using it. It also gives me really bad gas. It's hard to lie down sleep. I also have really bad acid reflux while taking it. I suggest anyone with high blood pressure to be very cautious when taking Metamucil.”

LandryLady · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2017

“Growing up, I thought straining to poop and sitting there for 30+ minutes was normal. I'm 25 now, and due to my recently discovered kidney problems, I also discovered that those things are not normal. So, my husband one day asked my mother in law to pick up some metamucil for me at the store on her way to our apartment. None of us knew much about it because we had never taken it before. She bought the sugar free orange flavored kind. I started taking 1 teaspoon daily and it has seriously CHANGED MY LIFE. I'm no longer constipated, nor do I get diarrhea, and my chronic nausea has been cured. Usually I go once a day now, but on occasion I have gone 4 times, but all healthy. I love it!”

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2020

“After months of stool softeners and laxatives, I tried Metamucil. Three weeks later, regular BM every day. Hint-put a spoonful in half glass of water and stir. Putting water into glass with Metamucil in bottom of glass results in clumps that do not dissolve.”

Niko · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2020

“I started using Metamucil as suggested by my surgical assistant after adhesion surgery. Within 2 days of starting Metamucil, I began having muscle pain throughout my whole body. I could barely use my hands because of the pain in my forearms and hands. My feet and legs began hurting, it hurt to walk. Stopped the Metamucil for a 2 weeks as suggested by my primary doctor. Pain began to ease off, but constipation returned. Tried Metamucil again for 2 days. This time the pain was back and was worse. My whole body was in pain. I stopped it after talking with primary again and pain is now almost completely gone. I do not know why this caused so much body and muscle pain for me, but I will never touch it again.”

MG October 5, 2019

“Someone had mentioned on this forum to take magnesium oxide supplement along with Metamucil and it really work for constipation. I started taking 500mg along with 1 dose of Metamucil for constipation and it’s worked wonders. I had a surgery to fix a prolapse but still had trouble going because of internal hemorrhoids this has helped so much. I’m happy to not rely on stimulant laxatives”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 13, 2020

“Metamucil is great but the new formula with Stevia DOES NOT WORK THE SAME. It's not even close. I won't get detailed but it simply does not do its job. I feel more bloated after taking. Do not buy it with Stevia.”

DeliDad · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2019

“Worked good at first, then it caused my constipation to get much worse. Stools became very hard and dry. This leads to bleeding, hemorrhoids and colon issues. Constipation and dehydration work together. Drink plenty of good water everyday.”

DanielleK11 March 7, 2015

“I have suffered with constipation and ibs for awhile now, and I found out about Metamucil. I purchased the capsules for convenience.I have been using it for 2 days and can tell a massive difference. I have not been bloated at all, which means I have more energy. I used to spend 20-30 mins in the bathroom, now I spend a few mins, a lot easier now. I only use 4 tablets per day, and working well.I would recommend to people with constipation or those who suffer from bloating and abdominal pain due to ibs. I will repurchase!”

Gwendles December 30, 2015

“I had a bad reaction to Metamucil until I figured out what to do. I found that taking metamucil dried up my stool and gave me constipation :( I couldn't believe it didn't work because everyone loves it. BUT then I took magnesium with I and it was great. Magnesium diverts liquid to the colon so it gave me enough moisture to pass stool.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 18, 2013

“I always considered eating certain foods was enough to combat constipation but have found that as I aged this was not sufficient. I decided to start using Metamucil and found this to be easy to take, tasteless and the condition has vastly improved.”

Finally Clean · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2015

“I was having some serious difficult with occasional constipation since having my daughter a year ago. After doing many tests and determining I didn't have any underlying conditions, my doctor recommended a serving if Metamucil once a day. It's been a live saver! After about 3 days it started working and it's been weeks that I haven't had a single issue. I mix it with a glass of orange juice every morning so the taste doesn't bother me. I also started taking a probiotic with it. The combo has improved my energy and digestive health ten fold.”

baby mama · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2016

“My son has suffered with major constipation for almost a year. He is 2 years old. Every doctor told us to use prunes, apple juice, no dairy... etc. we tried them all. BUT Metamucil has worked its wonders!! He poops everyday and does not have to strain so much. Its doing really good, we give him half of a teaspoon in his water once a day and he doesn't even drink all of it.”

Hornet July 13, 2019

“Metamucil has been a total GAME CHANGER for me! Can’t recommend it highly enough. One tablespoon per day has made all the difference in the world!! PS drink lots of water with it too.”

PJ February 7, 2020

“I started taking Metamucil and initially it worked but not without stomach cramps. The next two days I have had stomach cramps but no bowel moments. I am ceasing the use of this junk !”

BOB · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 5, 2020

“I have never been more satified with a product. It is so gratifying to be able to have a good bowel motion!!”

sparky · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2018

“Turned back the clock 30 years. Makes bowel movements much easier. I only take one teaspoon per day. I am 64 and it definitely replenishes your system from what you naturally lose over the years.”

Naturboy · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 18, 2019

“Next to aspirin, I know of no over the counter med that works as well as metamucil.”

Coffee Very coffee Great · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 21, 2021

“I love Metamucil. No diverticulitis! I am NOT supposed to be eating seeds. I eat the apple seeds and all! It’s awesome!”

rml313 January 1, 2011

“It works great.”

Carleeeeeeee August 15, 2016

“Metamucil works wonders! I'm 4 months pregnant and suffered horrible constipation. Was given Metamucil sachets by my midwife & noticed in 2 days how much better I feel, what a relief!”

Dick June 27, 2020

“Started using Metamucil 4 days ago. Two days later, began itching all over my body. Tried various creams but got progressively worse. Am discontinuing after 4 days in hope that itching will stop.”

mummyp May 1, 2017

“Have taken 2 capsules daily not at all effective .”

Red stone October 31, 2020

“I used Metamucil and it was 2 years before the blockage passed. Had to see specialist. Worst product for me.”

Helena September 13, 2021

“It’s expensive, tastes terrible. And worst of all it doesn’t make any difference at all”