User Reviews for Plenvu to treat Bowel Preparation (Page 5)

Plenvu has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 141 ratings for the treatment of Bowel Preparation. 38% of those users who reviewed Plenvu reported a positive effect, while 45% reported a negative effect.

Plenvu Rating Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Bowel Preparation.

Reviews for Plenvu

SueE July 22, 2019

“As with most things online (especially where drugs are concerned) people only tend to post reviews if there are problems. If things go well, they think nothing of it and just move on with their lives. At this moment, I am almost at the end of the prep. I am actually sitting on the throne with my iPad on a chair in front of me. I took twice as long to drink it than instructed - both doses - and experienced no nausea whatsoever. I matched each sip of Plenvu with a sip of flavoured, bottled water - non fizzy. Plus I’ve drunk a lot more water than instructed. A ton more. I feel fine. I’ve used a barrier cream after every movement. Another hour and I hope I will be able to get to bed. The worst part of all this is my back and leg ache from sitting on the toilet for so long! Plan your time carefully. Take longer and drink more - much more. I hope this helps balance the reviews here a little ... Good luck!”

Here we go! July 20, 2019

“First time for a colonoscopy, had PLENVU prescribed and took it, but nothing to compare it to. Dose 1 the night before was like drinking fruity sea water but I got it all down. In less than half an hour, the floodgates opened— success! It works!! (No “false alarms” with this stuff so be near the potty;-)). Felt nauseous with it but figured it’s all part of the process. Slept fine that night, next morning on to dose 2. Flashback to last dose. After finishing dose 2 (and during) nausea started again but knew that was normal. Unfortunately (or fortunately as the case may be) projectile vomiting of dose 2 commenced, luckily into the toilet. A LOT. But some must have made its way through my system as the projectile “squirts” commenced as well. Sure felt better after the vomiting, though!! Called my doc’s office after this vomiting of dose 2 episode and was told don’t worry, just keep pushing fluids. So I did. No problem with colonoscopy being done. And that was it!!”

Azmoon7 · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2019

“Do not use!!!! It tasted awful and very bad experience. Got nauseous taking first one and almost threw up. I took at 5pm and did not have bowel movement until 4am. I barely slept since I was worried about delay it took. Took the second dose, again tasted very bad and barely able to drink. Finally, bowels opened up! Did not finish until 8:15am and left for appointment at 8:45am. This was also worrisome and frustrating that it took this long to work?! Night after procedure, I could not sleep cuz still bloated and belly hurt a bit. I would not recommend even if you l get free like I did. It was my GI doctor's sample. Big mistake.”

santch · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2019

“PlenVu split dose: Easy to use Taste is perfectly acceptable. Dose 1 better than Dose 2 Worked very fast on me. Bowel prep is not a pleasant undertaking, but PlenVu is lower volume so, taking it is not a matter of ingesting a lot of liquid. I had short-lived episodes of nausea with both does. They were both fleeting and very tolerable. If you do a good job with diet a couple of days prior to the actual bowel prep, your experience with PlenVu should just fine. Remember: You're cleansing your bowels, it's bound to wreak a little havoc on the gut.”

Lou · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

“Totally new to this. First time doing bowel prep for first colonoscopy. Dose 1 was salty fruit punch. Managed ok with it only took an hour to work. Word of advice be close to a loo. Half a glass of dose 2 left (salty mango) and I am currently curled up in a ball in my bathroom and have vomited twice already. Probably the worst thing I have ever experienced. NEVER AGAIN”

Notso · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

“This prep is neither better or worse than other preparations I have used. The best thing about it is the low volume. My preps have been average to poor in the past but this one on Plenvu was good.”

AnnieW · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2019

“Awful, awful!! Absolutely disgusting taste, very hard to get down! I threw up the second dose about an hour after finishing it. Gave me a horrible headache, I was extremely dehydrated and my procedure ended up being cancelled. Would not recommend this prep!!!”

Cazzibat July 11, 2019

“I have found this method '1 of the most degrading experience' s I have ever had, my bowels opened up all over my carpets, several times, because you can't control water running through you, it also made me so sore on my back passage that I was in tears in my bathroom, I wouldn't recommend this treatment to anyone ' unless y are willing to stay in your toilet all night and best part of next day ”

Bullesye · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

“I wanted a low volume prep this time but I knew Medicare will not cover the cost which is about 150.00 so I asked my Dr. if he had samples he offered this I was happy till I read the reviews here. My results were very good. First off I did not take any addition laxatives as was suggested.their web page said not needed and they were correct. My colonoscopy was for 9am the day before I ate no solid foods and at 2 pm I took dose one. Tips for taking from online research mix the prep 2 hrs. before and refrigerate. When you are ready add some ice and use a straw to take small sips. Dose one went down smoothly yes it is very artificially sweet but was tolerable. Started working rather quickly 25 mins. and lasted about 2 hrs. not too bad. Dose two for me was at 9pm and was a bit harder to finish and the flush was longer about 3 hrs. but I was asleep by 1 am. My other tip is to drink a lot of water, more is better here. I woke up a bit dehydrated and asked for fluids in my IV.”

Carolina July 2, 2019

“I’ve had numerous colonoscopy preps and like others, I found this prep to taste beyond disgusting. I also notice my blood sugar dropping significantly. After my first dose I had to have a popsicle just to bring it back up and I am not diabetic. I would not do this prep again. It is significantly less to drink but it’s way too strong. It was not covered by my insurance, but with Plenvu savings card it was $50.00 out of pocket.”

Moon charmed · Taken for less than 1 month June 29, 2019

“As a gastric sleeve patient, this was a lot of drinking in an hour. The instructions call for drinking first dose within 30 minutes followed by 16 ounces of clear fluids within 30 minutes after that. Same for second dose. The solution was pure SALT. I had a hard time getting it down and was a little nauseated. Mango (salt) first flavor and fruit punch (salt) second flavor. I managed to get it down. This in my experience is not a quick prep. It took a couple of hours before it started to work and over many hours to be fully cleaned out. I was worried because I was still going to restroom close to time to go shower to go to hospital. I wouldn’t want to do this prep again. But I will say this, during my exam, the Dr noted excellent bowel preparation. It works but very slow and tastes horrible but it did the job.”

TC June 25, 2019

“First off this drug is not covered by Medicare part D and costs $140. Worst of all are the side effects. Previous preps required more fluid intake but effects were over at 2 hours. Effects of the 2nd dose of Plenvu lasted over 5 hours. I am a diabetic and this product caused my blood sugar to rise over 250 points while fasting for 12 hours . Taste is awful.”

Lissa · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2019

“Both doses of Plenvu were disgusting. They tasted like saltwater. I thought I was going to throw up the first does, but I did not. The second dose, however, I threw up 10 minutes after finishing. I will never drink this again. Horrible experience.”

Bri h June 19, 2019

“I got cramps, shivers bloatedness. The next morning I still had to go. It tasted so bad. I don’t like the 3 days beforehand you have to limit your diet too.”

Gladys June 19, 2019

“I had this for a same day prep. Appointment at 2pm. The leaflet said to take at 6am and 9am. As I was planning to drive, I asked if I could take earlier. Yes. I went for 4am and 7am. I'm glad I did. Solution isn't pleasant, it's like a concentrated diet drink with salt. But it is drinkable. Rather than panic with your thoughts and say oh my god this is awful I'm going to be sick...instead calmly sip through a straw. I was told to drink it over an hour. I sipped a bit every 5 mins. 5.15 cascades, prob 12 over an hour. Then slept, woke for the alarm 7am. The solution made me feel a bit nauseous so I sipped slowly and left bigger gaps, taking it over 1.5 hrs. By 8am, again cascades. Bottle of water in the loo with me and was making sure I drank after each one. I felt wobbly but again kept drinking. Everything finished by 12:00. The main thing is take it slowly, try and be calm, and drink lots of extra fluids. So good luck with yours.”

Shelly · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2019

“I checked out the reviews the night I was to start this for my first colonoscopy, I was horrified, almost to the point of tears. I debated even going thru with it! I’m glad I decided to do it! The taste was not the greatest, but tolerable with water after every drink. I started taking it at 5 pm, it started working within the hour, no cramping, no stomach upset, I was done by 10 and slept all night. I woke up at 5 am to start the next dose, which I thought was better than the first, again, started working within the hour and was done by 9:30 am. No adverse reactions!! I wish I had never read the reviews on this! The taste was the worst, first dose tasted like mango flavor with salt water, second dose was fruit punch with slight salt water, but it was tolerable with water after every drink. They found 1 polyp and removed it, benign, thank God!! I fully recommend this product!!”

Diverticular Chick · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2019

“Diagnosed in 2001 with diverticulitis, and being past a certain age ( now need to screen for colon cancer) I have much experience with these procedures, that being said Plenvu is worst GI prep ever! Go-Lytely is much better, works more efficiently. Heck anything else is better( Miralax or even magnesium citrate). This stuff could make a maggot gag. Diarrhea achieved, but vomiting is not necessary for a colonoscopy. Caused needless suffering....Never Again!”

Ann · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2019

“I'm reading all these comments while trying to drink my second dose of Plenvu. I just can't bring the cup to my mouth anymore. I thought pooping would be the worse part of the prep but boy was I wrong... Help lol”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2019

“I will not use this product again. First dose of Plenvu was unbearable, took me an hour to finish and thought I would vomit afterwards. Second dose just as bad but so much nausea I’m unable to finish entire jar. I get the reason we all elect to have the colonoscopy, but there had to be a better way! They can send a man to the moon, can’t they make this process better??? Just hope I get through the night without throwing up.”

chipmunk · Taken for less than 1 month June 12, 2019

“I took Plenvu for a colonoscopy 5 days ago . It didn't taste the best and was difficult to get down, it was salt and sweet taste. It wasn't hard on my stomach and it did clean me out well. The one thing that concerned me is my blood pressure went up after drinking the solution. I am on BP meds and my blood pressure was running 125/82. the day of my colonoscopy it was 160/100. Now 5 days later its still elevated 140's over 90's. I think the possibility of side effects with BP should be discussed before using. Has anyone else experienced this?”

Not having it · Taken for less than 1 month June 12, 2019

“This is so, so, so nasty tasting !! I’m not sure what the people who make this was thinking . So many better tasting options I will never drink this again”

Cynlyn2010 June 11, 2019

“Want to lose 13lbs in 2 days along with all your electrolytes, every single drop of water in your body, and your general will to live? If so try new Plenvu bowel prep, where are motto is "if you didn't have hemorrhoids before, you do now! Dose 1 comes in our great new mango, burned car tire, toilet bowl cleaner sludge flavor! Take it before bed to ensure you get zero sleep and wake up hating everyone and everything. If you survive the night you get rewarded with another dose at 4 a.m. This one comes in the only slightly less repulsive flavor of fruitpunch, saltwater, and enough Aspertame to give cancer to an entire 3rd world country! Side effects include pooping your brains out for days before, during and after your procedure, anal bleeding, severe muscle cramps, joint pain, headache, severe dehydration, and hoping you poop on the doctor who made you wait an hour and a half after your appointment time to begin your colonoscopy.”

Ashley · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2019

“I'm a 29 year old getting colonoscopy done. I have had plenty of other preps to take which was a lot to drink never pleasant taste. The Plenvu one is much less to drink, it tastes horrible, all I taste when I drink this is salt! Makes me gag and threw up after first dose was done. First one taste like mango the second doses taste like fruit punch . I’m actually drinking the second dose now as writing this it doesn’t get any better, the taste doesn’t linger around in your mouth. After taking the first dose it started to work about a hour or two after . It took me about a hour to drink this! They need to come up with a pill that does the same job .”

Angel · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2019

“Although the results were complete, the taste was awful as well as the bloated feeling and nausea was overwhelming. The side effects lasted about 3-4 hours after each dose, I would prefer to use a different prep the next time.”

Shari · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2019

“First dose of Plenvu was fine, did it’s job. Second dose made me very ill. Vomiting blood... it tore my stomach up. Terrible- would not recommend this to anyone.”

More about Plenvu (polyethylene glycol 3350 with electrolytes)

Other brands: GoLYTELY, MoviPrep, PEG-3350 with Electolytes, TriLyte, ... +6 more

Professional resources