How do you take Plenvu for colonoscopy preparation?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on June 9, 2020.
Take Plenvu exactly as your health care provider tells you to take it. You will take either the Two-Day Split-Dosing option or the One-Day Morning Dosing option depending upon when your colonoscopy is scheduled. Plenvu must be taken in 2 doses with either regimen.
Two-Day Dosing Regimen:
Dose 1 is taken the evening before the colonoscopy (at roughly 4 PM to 8 PM) and dose 2 is taken the next morning (about 12 hours after the start of Dose 1). On the day before the clinical procedure, you can eat a light breakfast followed by a light lunch. Lunch must be completed at least 3 hours prior to the start of the first Plenvu dose.
One-Day Dosing Regimen:
The first dose is taken the morning of the colonoscopy (between 3 AM to 7 AM) and dose 2 is taken a minimum of 2 hours after the start of dose 1. On the day before the clinical procedure, you can consume a light breakfast followed by a light lunch, and clear broth soup and/or plain yogurt for dinner. Dinner should be completed by approximately 8 pm.
Plenvu requires reconstitution with water before you drink it, and you must drink additional clear liquids after each dose. Do not add any other ingredients to Plenvu. Drink only clear liquids before, during, and after taking Plenvu, until 2 hours before the colonoscopy to help prevent dehydration.
Consume only clear liquids (no solid food) from the start of Plenvu treatment until after the colonoscopy.
Examples of clear liquids are:
- clear broth soups
- herbal tea, black tea or coffee
- watered down (diluted) (from concentrate) clear fruit juices (without pulp) including apple juice or white grape juice
- clear soda
- gelatin (without added fruit or topping)
- popsicles (without pieces of fruit or fruit pulp)
- strained limeade or lemonade
Do not take oral medications within one hour of starting each dose.
Do not take other laxatives while you are taking Plenvu.
Do not eat or drink alcohol, milk, anything colored red or purple or any other foods containing pulp material while you are taking Plenvu.
Ensure completion of Dose 2, including all additional liquids, at least 2 hours before the colonoscopy.
Related Medical Questions
- What is the difference between Plenvu and MoviPrep?
- How often should I have a colonoscopy with ulcerative colitis?
- Plenvu Information for Consumers
- Plenvu Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Plenvu (detailed)