User Reviews for MoviPrep

MoviPrep has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 354 ratings on Drugs.com. 59% of those users who reviewed MoviPrep reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Bowel Preparation
9.3
Summary of MoviPrep reviews 6.9 354 reviews

Reviews for MoviPrep

AnnaD123 May 31, 2021

For Bowel Preparation: “Drinking my 2nd dose now of Moviprep. First one was ok, started at 6pm, from 7pm - 8pm bowel movements, mainly dirty water. At 9.30pm again one visit in the toilet. Then I slept, with a lot of rumbling in my stomach. In the morning one small watery-dirty movement. Now drinking it again. It's the second time I have colonoscopy with moviprep. My experience says: 1). Don't drink it cold. It may taste better, but I get more cramps and pain when it's cold. I drink it luke-warm and chase every sip with luke warm green tea. Before each sip, I put a slice of lemon on my tongue, and a slice of ginger. 2). Use water to wash your butt, not toilet paper or wet wipes. Wiping makes my butt hurt very much. Wet wipes - don't work for me, it still irritates, maybe even more, cuz wipes give me allergic reaction. So, I wash it with water each time, and when clean, I put a lot of vaseline. My first colonoscopy went fine, I was well prepared. I hope today will be the same.”

kt050198 · Taken for less than 1 month May 19, 2021

For Bowel Preparation: “I took my first litre of moviprep at around 8pm tonight and it took me almost two hours to get around 80% of it down. I keep gagging and feeling nauseous. The extremely salty taste hits you first followed by an awful sickly artificial lemon flavour. I’ve been chasing each sip with water to wash it away. First bowel movement came at around 10pm, I’ve gone to to toilet twice since then and probably been sat there for about 10 minutes each time so it’s not been horrendous. I just hope I can get some sleep. My colonoscopy is at 5pm tomorrow so I have to wake up at 6am and take the second litre.”

Luna · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2021

For Bowel Preparation: “Ok I hate this stuff it gives me nightmares it's absolutely vile and impossible to finish. The only way I can get it down is chilled through a straw it's like a military operation I have a glass I pour it into then I have mouthwash for straight after each drink to get rid of taste and I try to get it all down in half an hour that's between gagging and eventually throwing up. I think in this day and age someone somewhere could come up with something that doesn't taste so disgusting. It triggers nausea and migraines. Anyone who drinks this deserves a medal.”

Alcino · Taken for less than 1 month November 7, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “Read a number of these reviews beforehand - very intrigued when I finally got round to taking the first 1 litre prep. It didn't taste too bad - chilled it and sucked on a lime wedge before; but nevertheless, it wasn't as bad as some people have made out. Sweet and salty but got the 1 litre down in around 45 mins. Movements started just before the hour mark; about 40 or so minutes of regular 'wee poo' then intermittent trips back for another hour or so. Really - no big deal. Morning prep went down just as easy and as everything was already clear after the first prep (you're looking for yellow liquid), the toilet got less action. Vaseline and wet wipes are a good idea. Remember to hydrate - I matched both rounds with 1 litre of diluted juice and it was all fine. Unless I royally shite myself on the way to the appointment, I'd say it's been a relatively decent experience. Best of luck with your respective evacuations.”

Jimmy Cruckets · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2021

For Bowel Preparation: “Advice, Advice,Advice!!!! Completed first ever movi prep for colonoscopy. Things you will find out. It doesn’t taste great. It works. And you can’t wait til it’s over. Things you should know, Get soft toilet paper. Have disposable wipes. Use Vaseline. Your bum is going to get irritated because of frequency of movements and wiping. Honestly the worst part was the pain from my irritated bum.( outside of the drinking of the prep) I started at 12 pm and did second dose at 6pm. It’s constant bathroom trips. So be ready. But I could honestly say that if I knew to have the things I listed when I started this it would have been a lot more tolerable. I wish someone would have told me...”

Jenny · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “Despite the side effects of nausea, vomiting and taste, I have to keep in mind that it was beneficial for my overall health. I am a 4 time survivor of colon cancer. I would rather spend a few days out of my life enduring this than going through chemotherapy and loosing the battle to cancer as my father and grandmother did.”

Erik179 October 22, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “Use MoviPrep as Bowel Prep for Colonoscopy yesterday Followed the instructions for 3 days before, low fibre diet Found it easy to drink with a large straw, Drunk first litre in an hour, not to bad at 7pm Started going to the toilet over the next 2 hours, mainly brown water Drunk a litre of Orange juice after the MoviPrep to keep hydrated, Went to bed at 11pm, up at 7am for the next Litre, same again Drunk in an hour, Back to the toilet, brown water, slowly turned clear, Drunk a half of water to stay hydrated Off to the Hospital for 1pm appointment Decided on gas for pain relief during the procedure, nice and easy, just suck on the mouthpiece when you feel discomfort The Colonoscopy went well, watched on the TV Screen Felt slight discomfort as the pipe went round, but no pain Result in a weeks time Watch this space Good luck”

Bigly · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2020

For Bowel Preparation: “Had to have a procedure yesterday which required MoviPrep to completely clear me out. I was fortunate enough to receive the lemon version which caused me to constantly gag every slight sip. It’s absolutely disgusting and I feel for anyone having to take it. What I did to get the best success with this was to mix it with Sprite/7UP. I’d do 60% of my glass with the MoviPrep, and 40% with Sprite. Before I starting mixing it with Sprite, it took me two hours to go through two glasses. After mixing it with Sprite, I was able to comfortably drink it when it was time to get through it. Make sure you have wipes rather than toilet paper, you’ll need them. Best of luck with whatever you need this for, you’ll smash it. This will ensure you are properly cleared out, trust me.”

tmj9815 January 27, 2021

For Bowel Preparation: “Started my fast at 9am Sunday morning. Took the first sachet of MoviPrep at 5pm as per the instructions. Tasted like bitter lemon to be honest or even like a sports drink, electrolytes with salt. You can flavour MoviPrep with a cordial if you don't initially like the taste, so maybe source a cordial beforehand but not blackcurrant flavoured. First bowel movement occurred at 7.10pm, a gentle feeling, small movement. 7.30pm a large messy movement. This is where the flushable toilet wipes help immensely. This was then followed by a number of smaller bowel movements but mostly watery. Next MoviPrep taken at 8pm as per the instructions. No more messy movements, just loads of watery ones. This went on until 11.20pm. Went to bed when my stomach felt calmer just before midnight. Woke again at 2.15am from a stomach cramp feeling, toilet, small bowel movement, again just watery. Back to bed and woke after 8am and again another very small watery movement. In all, not an unpleasant experience.”

A. Neil Prep · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “Took my first dose of MoviPrep 6am in preparation for my colonoscopy. Difficult guzzling my litre of prep that early. Drank down over next hour, whilst dozing. Awoke for 10am to prep second litre dose. Still nothing. All of a sudden, there came a gripe tummy pain. Dash to the pan and brown jetwash. Done. 30 minutes later came another gripe. Dash to the pan and yellow jetwash. Done. 30 minutes later came another gripe. Dash to the pan and clear jetwash. Done. Ordeal over. No big issues. I'm more evacuated than a London kid during WW2.”

Kennas July 17, 2020

“I found the Moviprep very difficult to drink and it took me around 45 minutes to manage even one glass. I initially tried orange cordial to mask the taste but got sick of the sweetness after a while and eventually just added some sprite to it which made it a bit easier. It began to work within 30/40 mins of initially starting to consume it. I highly recommend using wet wipes and Vasoline/Sudocrem as you can become very tender very quickly. Overall I managed to drink around 90% of the Moviprep (the last litre was a real struggle and I did begin to feel very nauseous) but thankfully at my scope this morning the doctor was very happy with the prep. I have never had a colonoscopy before but looking back the actual procedure was a walk in the park compared to how difficult consuming the Moviprep was. In hindsight I wish I had given myself more time to drink the prep/started earlier as I was late going to bed then.”

rb May 22, 2018

For Bowel Preparation: “Did the 2 stage MoviPrep for the first time and it was the easiest and best prep I have done and I've done four. I have had poor preps in the past so I decided to reduce fiber intake the week before which also helped. I chilled the first 32 ounces and started at 1 PM and drank 8 ozs about every 20 minutes. The taste was not that bad and I chased each dose with an ice popsicle and some water. It was not nearly as bad for me as MiraLax or Go Lightly which I could not tolerate. No nausea, no cramping, just some gurgling as the stuff took effect. After the first dose I was not completely clear but the second dose (6 PM) did the trick. Colonoscopy itself was a breeze (propofol is your friend, do not settle for IV demerol), always enjoy the initial feeling of falling off, did not remember a thing and woke up a little groggy but fine. Doc said the prep was excellent and no polyps or abnormalities. Overall, the best experience for me in now 5 tries. Hope this reassures and helps someone else.”

Little Nanny · Taken for less than 1 month December 11, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “Second time for colonoscopy first time used kleena prep!!! Moviprep so much better, not too bad taste wise but volume always a problem. Took first dose at 5.00pm started to gurgle by 6.30 then next at 8.30pm, probably visited loo 15 times then slept for 2 hours and it all kicked off again, stayed up rest of night, where does it all come from? Seems a lot more came out than went in, all water after first dose so seems to have worked but still going after 11 hours, hope it stops before I set off on journey to hospital or big trouble!! But not to be feared and after all it is to potentially save your life”

Susie · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “Literally makes me shake with fear drinking this. You think you can just down it in the style of "I'm a celebrity" and hold your nose. For some reason you can't. The taste means after a couple of swallows you are gagging and have to stop. It's 2019 and how come there is not an alternative to this is literally mind boggling. Does what its supposed too but bloats you up terrible and makes me cry. ”

ELLYIRV February 20, 2021

For Bowel Preparation: “Last time I had a colonoscopy I was given Fleet. I paid 2 loo visits + the job was done. This time I got Moviprep. I read the reviews on here - big mistake. I became so nervous of taking it I nearly cancelled the procedure. I started the first litre at 4.30pm + finished it by 6.15pm. Lots of gurgling + rumblings after 1 hour but nothing until 2 hours 28mins - yes I had set a stopwatch - just so I could review it on here!! The prep itself IS palatable but a matter of individual taste. It's like runny lemon sorbet - very sweet but with a background saltiness. I took it as 3 mugfuls - followed by water. I also chilled it after making it which I think definitely helps. I'll report back tonight or tomorrow on my how the second litre goes. My procedure is at 9am so it may be after that. Don't let the bad reviews put you off - chances are you will feel just like me with it. For the record I'm in the UK so was prescribed this on the NHS so cost me nothing.”

Laughingirl · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2013

For Bowel Preparation: “This is by far the easiest prep I’ve used. Yes, it smells and tastes awful, but you can overcome that somewhat by mixing ahead and chilling the mixture, using a straw, and chasing with a sip of whatever tastes good to you. Stand and walk a bit while you drink--it helps get things moving and dispels the bloated feeling. The prep starting working in 50 minutes both evening and morning, and worked thoroughly. The duration of action was 4 hours after the evening dose, 2 hours after the morning. No nausea, very little cramping, and not much soreness. I was able to have the procedure done and didn't have much trouble getting back to normal. I would use this again when necessary.”

Joolz · Taken for less than 1 month December 14, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “I've suffered with stomach problems for years. Colonoscopy booked, I started Moviprep and finished the first litre. I waited...and waited...nothing happened except terrible bloating and stomach pain. This was Monday evening...by Friday still nothing but a very sore stomach, lots of painful wind....and I went to my GP. Never will I take this preparation again, it's now Saturday evening and my stomach still feels very sore and bloated. I must be in a tiny minority that it didn't work and has obviously severely irritated my stomach and bowel.”

Annie from EDH April 9, 2015

For Bowel Preparation: “Absolutely fine stuff. It doesn't need anything added to it. I put ice cubes in it and chugged it right down and sipped on it and frankly it was almost good. Definitely not gag worthy and if crystal light were to be included, it would be disgusting. It tastes like lemonade. I really don't think most people need the second day. I took it this morning but only half and let's just say I know what the toilet should look like and it's practically clear. BTW I made turkey broth from scratch and drank that and tea as well as white wine after dinner. (Hey that's a clear juice drink) So don't let people scare you. A nation of wusses, I say.”

ED December 7, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “I had to take 2 1L doses of Moviprep Orange to prepare for my first colonoscopy. I was very nervous about it but it really wasn’t that bad. The Moviprep tasted like salt water with an orange flavour, and the bowel movements were quite gentle. I started my first dose at 6:00pm and my second dose was at 10:00pm. They both took 2-2.5 hours to complete (rather than the recommended hour) because of toilet trips and indigestion (which I was already prone to). The second dose was much more tolerable because we refrigerated the mix between glasses, and stirred it so that the salt didn’t gather at the bottom. I had frequent bowel movements from 6:30pm to 2:00am, and they were starting to come through clear just after I began the second dose. It was half-hourly to hourly after 2:00am, up until I went into the procedure room at about 8:20am. I recommend keeping the mixture chilled and stirred, and wash it down with something else if you need to - I chose apple juice. Good luck.”

EnglandJeff · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2016

For Bowel Preparation: “My colonoscopy was booked in for late afternoon on a Thursday. The hospital said to stop eating anything from 1pm on the Wednesday and recommended (giving some detail) a non fibre diet from Tuesday evening until Wednesday noon - avoiding dark drinks and jelly (like blackcurrant flavour). Avoid red meat, sausages and pies; fruit, vegetables and salad; potato skins or fries, wholemeal or brown bread; nuts, pulses, baked beans; wholemeal pasta, brown rice; puddings containing fruit or nuts; cakes and biscuits, yoghurts. Preferred are white skinless meat like chicken, grilled or poached fish, cheese, eggs; white bread, pasta, rice; boiled or mashed potatoes, water, fizzy drinks, fruit squash (not blackcurrant), clear soups, tea or coffee, shredless marmalade or jam, ice cream, custard, clear jelly, butter, margarine. The hospital also instructed me to start taking Moviprep, one packet (A + B) at 7pm Wednesday evening; and then another packet (A+B) starting from 6am Thursday. On each occasion I was told to drink the mixture at 250ml a time over 1 to 2 hours. On each occasion I was also to take 500ml of clear water AND to take some sugary drinks to maintain blood sugar levels – non-diet carbonated drinks i.e. Coca Cola, Lucozade, or ginger ale, any other clear sugary fluids such as clear apple juice (but NOT other fruit juices); water alone not being sufficient. A spoonful of honey is suggested if sugary drinks are not liked. On Wednesday evening I mixed the two Moviprep packets (A + B) with 1 litre of water in a large jug. It tasted mildly of lemon but, because of warnings about taste, I downed each 250ml in seconds (rather than sip it) so as not to have to agonise over the taste. Starting at 7am the fourth dose was finished at 8pm. The drug started having an effect at about 7.45pm and thereafter it was a matter of getting to the lavatory frequently and quickly for about 3 to 4 hours. I went to bed at midnight but had to get up again at 2am and two more occasions up to 4am; though not in so much of a hurry. I took the 500ml of water after the final dose and about 250ml of Lucozade after that. I was also told to use, what we in the UK, call vaseline to prevent soreness of skin on the buttocks. This I did not do but regretted it. Just before midnight I was so sore that I did apply some vaseline ready for Thursday morning and it paid dividends. On Thursday morning I went through the same procedure again applying the vaseline again before starting. This time the emissions were yellow and eventually pretty clear. Also the emissions pretty much (though not entirely) finished by 8am, much quicker than the night before. I can only assume there was nothing left to eject. All in all it was not a pleasant chore but a fair price to pay to get the job done.”

chickengonzo · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “I read the reviews here and was prepared for a real horror story. It's nowhere near as bad as people make out! I never tried the unadulterated flavour, but mixed in one part sugar-free orange squash to four parts water, and it was fine. Not something I'd be gagging to drink every day, but certainly no worse than a vitamin C fizzer or rehydration salts. The relentless butt fountain does get a little wearing, and wasn't as satisfying a sensation as I thought it might be, but true to the literature, it really only lasts a couple of hours – and it was never so furious that I got caught short. Smells diabolical, though that might be the results of the low residue diet. I found three days of having to eat white bread and pasta and zero vegetables much more arduous than necking down a litre of MoviPrep.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2020

For Bowel Preparation: “My appointment was at 4pm so I started the first packet around 7pm the day before. It was bearable but not the best taste. By the end of the first litre I had really had enough and felt quite sick. I didn't even get through the last bit before I needed the toilet. After the first half hour of bowel movements, I had serious cramps in my stomach and doubled over in pain. This lasted for around an hour, then trips to the toilet started again, which almost instantly stopped the cramps. I was awake most of the night due to going to the toilet. I have now started the 2nd dose at 7am. Just want this all over now. Really hope I don't get more cramps.”

philz-23 · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2014

For Bowel Preparation: “My 1st colonoscopy at 52. I did a split dose, 1 at 6PM and 1 at 4AM. Follow the advice & suck on a hard candy and use a straw, make sure the MoviPrep is cold-the 1st glass was easy and really didn't taste bad, just like flat salty lemonade. Each dose is harder as the stomach rumbles, at the last glass I was ready for the toilet. Bring a book or a laptop, I sat for at least an hour with a few returns after. The 4 AM prep was harder, making myself drink more while my stomach gurgled and I felt like running to the bathroom. I just finished the 4th glass and moved to the toilet for another hour, then napped w/a couple interruptions. It worked! The colonoscopy itself was the easy part. An unpleasant experience but really not as bad as I feared.”

CharleyA April 9, 2015

For Bowel Preparation: “I was given moviprep to prepare my bowel for a colonoscopy. It doesn't taste great. It's quite thick too, a bit like olive oil. I didn't find it too bad. I didn't mix anything with it so if you can't stand it, that may help. I had 2 litres to drink within 24hrs, drinking lots of water in between. It worked very quickly. You'll know you're clear when you're just passing yellow/clear liquid. The worst thing for me was the hunger & I did get sore from 'going' so much. Petroleum jelly on the area helps. The prep worked as I was awake for my colonoscopy & could see on the screen how clean my insides were. Its not a pleasant experience, but Moviprep does the job. My procedure was yesterday & I've had no after effects. Good luck with yours :)”

sp November 23, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “A few more words. My experience was MoviPrep took nearly 2 hours to start movements so don't get brave and go anywhere . While I'm sat on the loo I've noticed if you just sit on loo not much happening but stand up as I think that is it for now. I manage to wash pull up trousers and take a step out of bathroom and have to jump right back on there.”

J June 10, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “Hey guys its not meant to taste like Kool aid! Having said that the initial intake of the litre was fine, didn't really taste all that bad. But the more you have the worse it gets. Coming up on my last 250ml it took me nearly half an hour gaining up the courage to drink it all. Through the 90 minutes of drinking I felt nauseous in waves. Took it at 7pm and by 9pm I was on the toilet like a fire hose. Was in the middle of an Overwatch game and had to leave because it literally went 0-100 in seconds. Spent the next hour on the toilet with my laptop just watching videos, got up for a bit and now I'm back guessing that I'm finishing off the last parts. Make sure to have a water bottle with you as you will get dehydrated and maybe get a headache. You may experience some indigestion and some unpleasant gurgling. For me the worst part of it all was actually drinking the prep which wasn't really all that bad till the last bits, just take your time.”

Anonymous August 17, 2020

For Bowel Preparation: “Drink MoviPrep chilled and through a straw. The taste is a salty lemon vile awful thick sludge. Use a chaser of ginger ale or white Gatorade. It’s easier to just chug through a straw Do not. I repeat do not go far from bathroom once you start drinking. It started working within 15 min and I had fasted for 26 hours already. And low fiber before that. I got chills. Nausea. Gagging from the drink and the taste The chills lasted three hours The bathroom trips lasted for 4 hours or more but slowed down. You cannot control it. The urge comes. Or sometimes does not come. It just happens. Then. It’s time for the second dose. I could barely get through second one and I’m more nauseated even after a prescribed anti nausea pill I had on hand from previous issue.”

BekCakes · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2019

For Bowel Preparation: “Absolutely horrendous experience. I would never recommend anyone do MoviPrep for bowel prep for colonoscopy. It took me over 3 hours to get the first liter down, I gagged, and almost vomited many times. I finally figured out the only way it will work for me is chilled right out of the freezer after mixing, and with a sprite in my other hand to chase it. Gulp, chase with sprite, repeat. I’m currently on the second liter and still really struggling I’ve drank 1/4 so a long way to go :( never again........ By the last of the first liter I was cursing everything from the manufacturer to my life to everything”