User Reviews for MoviPrep

Learn more about MoviPrep.

Constipation, Chronic 3 reviews 30 medications

7.8
Bowel Preparation 138 reviews 114 medications

7.4
Gastrointestinal Decontamination 2 reviews 44 medications

Summary of MoviPrep reviews 143 reviews 6.4

Reviews for MoviPrep

For Bowel Preparation "My 17 year old son is having a colonoscopy tomorrow and is having a horrible time getting this down. I am on my way to go get him a lemon to see if he sucks on it and then swallows the solution if it would make it any easier. He got the first liter down but the second liter is a nightmare. Some company needs to come up with something better."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "I haven't managed to take Moviprep... Tried five times, swallowed a couple of sips but had to spit the rest out. It smells ok (lemony) and looks like water, but is so salty and has a gloopy thickness to it which is not visible. So I will not be able to have my investigation. I failed!"

Mavi August 24, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "I came across this page as I was half way through some moviprep and on the brink of throwing it up. I tried a straw, herbal tea chaser, soda water, mints and none of these helped. I then tried chewing gum, pinching my nose and not taking too big a gulp. I'm now almost through the second lot. It's working but I haven't had the big rush to the loo that I was expecting. I have colonoscopies every couple of years and each time I forget how awful this stuff is. Why can't they just give us something to evacuate the bowel that is then followed by heaps of water to flush it through.... Good luck to all who have to drink this."

FFS August 15, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "There's no question that Moviprep is effective in cleansing the bowel, my colonoscopy was very clear and the bowel well prepared. The moviprep certainly acted fast as it did not take long before I was running for the toilet. However, I found it incredibly hard to drink all two litres in 4 hours, realistically it took me 11 hours starting at 1pm. The flavour was disgusting, by far the worst thing I have ever tasted in my life. I found it hard to swallow and hard to build myself up to taking another drink. Highly recommend moviprep look at how this could be bound inside a jello that would allow it to be consumed and this hiding the tastes!!"

Dan87 August 1, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "Not that bad, really. The lemony salty drink is best taken in the smallest cold 8 oz glass you can find. I think it helps psychologically. I tried it first in a big glass and thought I'd never finish. A small 8 oz juice glass is easy to slug down. I think it also helps to pour the stuff into the glass and chill it so it's as cold as possible. Take a slug of warm water and swish it in your mouth immediately after to remove the lingering taste. I got into a routine. Drink, wait about 5 minutes, head to the loo and repeat. Wasn't as bad as the stuff they sprayed in my throat just before the endoscopy. So man up and get it over with."

PohPohBoyohBoy (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "Maybe TMI but sitting on the can writing this. Mixed up the powders as directed, added about half a packet of EmergenC powder, guzzled 8 fl oz every 15 minutes as directed. I don't know if I had a newer formulation or something but I had no problems with the taste - tasted like Gatorade or some electrolyte drink to me. Started working within 40 mins. And so here I sit..."

Colonoddity (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "So i apprehensively opened the 1st pkt of M prep at 7pm the night b4 my procedure, .. After reading the reviews on here .. I was anticipating the gip factor of the drink , and true to the reviews it was top scale rank .. Seriously took all my swallowing efforts to the hilt .. I mixed in some lucozade to alter the taste .. But still ended up with a fizzy, thick , salty , slimy mess that made my head hurt and my stomach retch on every mouthfull .. My eyes watered and my sphincter tightened lol Not from the anticipation of what was to follow .. But the bodily reaction to the chewy thick substance that was globbing down my aesophagus . Ffwd 2/3 hrs - i was on form -with the toilet hugging my behind I'm sleep inthe bathroom All done for morning"

Nomoremovieprepplease ! July 16, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "Tips for completing this prep: 1. Use half orange or citrus Vitamin Water or Gatorade, half regular water, to make the solution. The vitamins and minerals help reduce unpleasant side effects. 2. Mix prep ahead of time and refrigerate for two hours or more. 3. Use a straw to drink the solution. 4. Drink water, apple juice, white grape juice or other clear liquids as a chaser. 5. Before the prep, during, and after, drink a lot of water. This gives your body something to evacuate and keeps you hydrated through the process. I cannot stress this enough. 6. Grimace and bear it. While not a fun process, this prep is one of the better ones out there. Cheers."

Luran July 13, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "This is way too sweet. I was nauseated after the first 8 oz and the nausea never went away. I much preferred the plain ol' Golytely they used to use."

Miss Patsy July 12, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "can I just say, these horror stories got me so worked up I was dreading this prep, the reality is its NOT THAT BAD!!!. Ok so the drink isn't great, like a salty lemonade ( I find the cranberry powder things disgusting too but if I've got a water infections I drink it!). I found the 1st litre easier to drink than the 2nd,with the 1st one I used a whisky size tumbler and drank it through a straw at room temperature. I drank it all within half an hour and it started working within the hour. The 2nd litre took longer,I used a bigger glass and filled it with ice, I found it harder to drink cold and the larger glass never seemed to empty so you feel like your going forever! Don't be put off by the scary stories!"

Pendle July 7, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "This was for a bowel prep. Liquids 2 days before and it still didn't work (about 85% cleared) ...until it didn't stop after the procedure. Now 4 days out from colonoscopy I'm still having bms reminiscent of the prep itself and I've had the most severe stomach pains I've ever had in my life- and I have a disease which is known for causing pretty damn bad cramps. Apparently doctor says this is "not unusual". Also, this combination of potassium, sodium and antifreeze came to my insurance's max out of pocket copay. Kinda ridiculous. Never. Again."

Tarheel239 July 3, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "Had an endoscopy and colonoscopy this morning (26/6/16) and took the movieprep yesterday as part of the process. I actually found it acceptable ( miles better than a barium meal) but was helped I think by these factors which I certainly think would help others. 1) i didnt eat at all the day before I took the movieprep( 2 days before the colonoscopy) 2) I took the movieprep at home in a quiet environment under my own steam 3) i made the movieprep 2 hours before drinking and placed it in the fridge to chill before drinking over the following 2 hours 4) i used a straw to drink the movieprep 5) I heavily flavoured the drink with lime juice Good luck if you go through this process but I found it better than expected"

alan1267543 June 28, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "Just finished my first 1 liter dose about 2 hours ago. Taste was not as bad as I was afraid of, honestly the lemon/salty taste reminds me very much of a margarita! Started to work before I was finished drinking it, and already only 2 hours in I feel pretty cleaned out and the trips to the bathroom which where at first every five minutes are now every 15 minutes. I don't have my next dose until 6 am tomorrow, so at this rate I am reasonably sure I will get some sleep tonight. Some mild cramps but not bad. With Blue Cross/Blue Shield my out of pocket was $20. Worst part so far has been the nervousness leading up to my first dose after reading the horror stories on this site. I slept though the night, up at 6 for dose 2, no problems."

Juststarting1 (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "Medicine is disgusting though it defiantly works. Be prepared to stay at home very close to the toilet. It worked with me within 40 minutes. Have sudocream to hand as your derrière will get sore and very red and tender. Good luck if you need to take this medication. My sympathy is with you. God bless."

Monkey41 May 20, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "This was absolutely awful - Much worse than the colonoscopy! Tasted vile. Really struggled to get it all down, and after all that, it did not work properly. Had to get up in the night to change the bed!! Only started to work at 10pm, 2 hours after I had finished it at 8pm - revolting preparation"

F11 May 12, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "I'm having a colonoscopy first thing in the morning and trying my hardest to get down the 1st litre Moviprep... It is vile! Too salty and I'm really struggling to drink this, I've been trying for two hours now and I'm still 1 glass in! There is surely an easier way than this! I've only been to the toilet twice and can see my colonoscopy will more than likely be cancelled. 1 litre is far too much for me to tackle let alone 2 and no thought process had gone into this what so ever, your doctor should fully consult something like this with you and look at different options, I would have been better on tablets and water but as always the NHS care about money and people numbers and not the individual! ......it's going to be a long night! :-("

Flo86 May 7, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "I have had to have several colonoscopies over the years and have always been given picolax. I was slightly concerned with the Moviprep as there was a lot to drink. However if you pace yourself over say an hour its fine make sure its cold and maybe suck a halls menthal sweet with it. It works quickly and much less pain and discomfort than with the Picolax. I had it at 5pm went to the toilet a lot up until about 10pm then actually had a night sleep. Next morning the same amount again, toilet for about another 4 hours then off to the hospital. I seemed to be able to keep more hydrated with this preparation than with the Picolax as I did not feel so rotten and sick. Much more comfortable experience all round."

Moviprep user April 29, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "After 2 days on a low fibre diet, on the 3rd day I mixed this with a small amount of orange squash in the afternoon and kept it in the fridge to chill. I began to drink it a 5pm through a straw, the taste is okay around 7.20pm after drinking water it began to work and boy what a result It felt like a flush of water coming out the other end this lasted until 10.30pm and I went to bed at 11pm no problems slept all night. I had the colonoscopy with gas and air at times it did hurt but keep puffing the gas and air and in no time it was over. Bowel normal thankfully. You will not be allowed to eat after 9am the day before the morning procedure but drink lucozade it fills you up so you don't feel hungry. Moviprep fills you up to it was quite a struggle to keep drinking it all."

Cheshiregirl April 21, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "Got this moviprep with no instructions from the hospital. Great... What a good start. Took the first liquid between 8-9 pm and for me it was a bit of a struggle to drink that much ( unless it's wine!) About an hour later was on loo continuously so was working but by 12 I was still running to the loo..... No sleep cause of a bit of a painful tummy and gurgling.... The worst part is the ring sting....ring of fire is an understatement as I think my behind is a volcano now. Took my second lot and am now waiting. Use Vaseline as it does help relieve the burning inferno that is now my backside."

Vicpoop April 13, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "I had to take my first lot at 7pm and struggled to keep it down tasted vile after an hour it kicked in and I could not move at all of the toilet for five hours I was so exhausted all I wanted was to go to sleep I finally got three hours sleep and woke up running the loo again took my next lot at 6am and had to drink it on the loo for the next six and a half hours again I couldn't move had to ring the hospital to see if it was normal as it was not stopping I hated it most people said after two hours theres stopped but it must not have agreed with me never again will I do that it was awfull everyone is different but just incase this happens to someone else it happened to me to and eventually it did stop an hour before my appt at 1.30pm."

Amyfromengland March 29, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "Can't believe all the negative comments. My previous colonoscopy had a vile mixture to take. Moviprep is a breeze. Doesn't taste too bad. Very easy to get down. Started working after 1 hour. No cramps. I think if you follow the directions re what you eat in the days leading up to the procedure you should not have too many problems."

CarolApple March 22, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "My colonoscopy was booked in for late afternoon on a Thursday. The hospital said to stop eating anything from 1pm on the Wednesday and recommended (giving some detail) a non fibre diet from Tuesday evening until Wednesday noon - avoiding dark drinks and jelly (like blackcurrant flavour). Avoid red meat, sausages and pies; fruit, vegetables and salad; potato skins or fries, wholemeal or brown bread; nuts, pulses, baked beans; wholemeal pasta, brown rice; puddings containing fruit or nuts; cakes and biscuits, yoghurts. Preferred are white skinless meat like chicken, grilled or poached fish, cheese, eggs; white bread, pasta, rice; boiled or mashed potatoes, water, fizzy drinks, fruit squash (not blackcurrant), clear soups, tea or coffee, shredless marmalade or jam, ice cream, custard, clear jelly, butter, margarine. The hospital also instructed me to start taking Moviprep, one packet (A + B) at 7pm Wednesday evening; and then another packet (A+B) starting from 6am Thursday. On each occasion I was told to drink the mixture at 250ml a time over 1 to 2 hours. On each occasion I was also to take 500ml of clear water AND to take some sugary drinks to maintain blood sugar levels – non-diet carbonated drinks i.e. Coca Cola, Lucozade, or ginger ale, any other clear sugary fluids such as clear apple juice (but NOT other fruit juices); water alone not being sufficient. A spoonful of honey is suggested if sugary drinks are not liked. On Wednesday evening I mixed the two Moviprep packets (A + B) with 1 litre of water in a large jug. It tasted mildly of lemon but, because of warnings about taste, I downed each 250ml in seconds (rather than sip it) so as not to have to agonise over the taste. Starting at 7am the fourth dose was finished at 8pm. The drug started having an effect at about 7.45pm and thereafter it was a matter of getting to the lavatory frequently and quickly for about 3 to 4 hours. I went to bed at midnight but had to get up again at 2am and two more occasions up to 4am; though not in so much of a hurry. I took the 500ml of water after the final dose and about 250ml of Lucozade after that. I was also told to use, what we in the UK, call vaseline to prevent soreness of skin on the buttocks. This I did not do but regretted it. Just before midnight I was so sore that I did apply some vaseline ready for Thursday morning and it paid dividends. On Thursday morning I went through the same procedure again applying the vaseline again before starting. This time the emissions were yellow and eventually pretty clear. Also the emissions pretty much (though not entirely) finished by 8am, much quicker than the night before. I can only assume there was nothing left to eject. All in all it was not a pleasant chore but a fair price to pay to get the job done."

EnglandJeff (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "This medicine is truly foul,, drinking it was far worse then any of the bowel movements that followed but then I never drink fruit flavoured drinks at the best of times or add salt to my food so for me that was the hardest part so far. Drank it through a straw each glass lasting up to 15 mins and then rewarding my self with a 10 min break. Smothered my bottom in Bepanthen nappy cream recommend by the pharmacy at every opportunity and did not experience any soreness. For me it did exactly what it said on the tin. Should be ready to go and as clean as a whistle for my appointment this afternoon. I think it helped by sticking to the suggested food lists and not eating vast amounts after all what goes in has to come out."

mummachief (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "My appointment was at 0900 this morning. I took 1 dose of Moviprep at 1700 last night and, thereafter, 1.5 litres of water over the course of the evening. The taste is not great but I divided the solution into 3 glasses and committed to finish each glass in one session. To my surprise, I finished all of it in 10 mins. It took about 1 hour to get things moving and after 4 hours, it stopped taking effect. The next dose was taken at 0500 on the day of the appointment (today). Same level of commitment saw it consumed rapidly and it seemed to take effect almost immediately. Two hours later, my bowel was emitting a clear yellow, odourless liquid and within 3 hours, I had dried up. The consultant commented on how clean my bowel was!!"

Darn March 1, 2016

For Bowel Preparation "This is my second colonoscopy. The first was five years ago, and the prep was horrible. This time with Moviprep is a little better: The taste though, for me, is terrible. Too sweet and too salty. I've done the first batch. After 45 minutes, I ran to the bathroom, and I've been in there, pretty much for two hours. During the few minutes I've been away from the toilet, I googled Moviprep and read the experiences. Since I love to eat lemons, I asked my husband to go out for some, and some baby wipes. The toilet part hasn't been too bad (not as bad as the first time). Now I'm back doing the second batch. I tried the straw and the lemons and hooray, they work so much better. I might even be able to get the whole second batch down."

Hawaii here February 19, 2016