User Reviews for MoviPrep

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about MoviPrep.

Constipation, Chronic
7.8

Bowel Preparation
7.1

Gastrointestinal Decontamination

Summary of MoviPrep reviews 6.3 218 reviews

Reviews for MoviPrep

For Bowel Preparation "This stuff is great! It wasn't so much the taste that was bad, more the salty consistency! I drank mine with a straw over 7 hours and that seemed to do the trick! I started pooping after exactly an hour and didn't stop until 11pm (I started at 2pm) I was nice and cleared out and they said I had a "good colonoscopy" the only problem I have now is that it's the next day and food is going straight through me still mixed with BRIGHT yellow bile and it's so painful! This stuff has more or less left me incontinent the day after! Just hoping the diarrhea stops soon because 2 days of pooping out pure watery movements is more than enough for me!"

Sophiepie9319 December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "I had this for the first time on the 26/11/17 what can I say - the amount you have to drink in the time scale is a lot. I chilled it and used a straw to manage the first liter no problem, a bit gagging, is not so much the taste but the consistency of it. The 2nd lot: well I manage 1 glass then the next glass I vomited it up. I started at 5pm and was still pooping at 6am (I got up at 2am 5am and 6am was only the one movement each time) I went for colonoscopy I hoped I had prep enough and I had thank goodness. I had no cramps or bloating with it."

Samdougie (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "I had read a lot of negative reviews about Moviprep and was terrified of the stuff. In reality it was straight-forward to use, fairly palatable (better than soluble aspirin) and the results were not as unpleasant as my chronic IBS symptoms. I recommend mixing the solution with a cordial (ginger worked well) and drinking through a straw. Do not take large mouthfuls of it. The first dose might take between 3-4 hours to take effect. Don't worry - it will! Just make sure you take the sedation for your procedure. I did not and it was incredibly painful. Curiously, for a few weeks after the Moviprep and colonoscopy I experienced no IBS symptoms - it has been 6 weeks now and they've returned, unfortunately."

trn (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "Started to take it 7.10 finished 9.10 bowel opened 9.00 and lasted 2 hour off and on. Good clearout , but have to do it again tomorrow 6am for colonoscopy in afternoon."

Wrayjo November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "Prepping for a colonoscopy... Mixed powders with 1/4 of water recommended so as to dissolve, refrigerated then added orange gaterade. Used hard peppermint candy after each quarter hour dose. First movement was within an hour of the end of the first dose. Began at 4pm, with 2nd doses beginning at 9:30pm Effective colon cleansing but side effects were terrible. Massive migraine even though I took a preventative triptan, insomnia, diarrhea several times during the night and next morning and nausea. I will never use this product again!"

Migraine Issues November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "Took Moviprep and 5 hours later nothing has happened. Ready to go to bed. Have to take again at 6am"

Bshi November 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "I found this better than any prep I have had before. Ok so it was 20 years ago. A lot has changed. I have only had my first prep had it a 6.pm. I mixed in lukewarm filtered water at 4pm and let it sit in the fridge to chill. Well started working within 20 minutes. I found the taste fine and was pretty much determined to drink within 30 mins and drank the recommended water in between. Probably sat on the toilet 10 times within 2 hours. Slight cramping before it kicked in. A little concerned with the colour. However, feel confident the 2nd prep at 7am tomorrow will help with that. I was mindful of my eating for the last 3 days and followed their recommendations. Which are food groups I generally never eat. Wish you good results!"

Lmb71 October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "I have to thank those who recommended chilling the preparation before drinking - much easier to get down. My experience was straight forward. It took about 1.5 hours after finishing the first preparation before I passed loose stools. Started drinking it at 6pm having taken two senna at 4pm. My doctor said I would get a good night's sleep .... he was wrong! Got up every 1.5 hours and as the effect was wearing off, I started the second preparation at 7am. This acted much faster and I started passing what by then was liquid during the 1.5 hours it took to drink it. Not unpleasant feeling, not much griping. Stopped going about 10.30am. Some mild griping going on just before procedure which they said was normal."

astondriver (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "This is a revolting substance. Managed to down a litre in an hour and a half (started at 5pm is now 7.40pm) been on the loo since about 6.45pm it is certainly working. However I am DREADING taking the next litre at 8pm and wondering how I will make it downstairs to actually retrieve the solution! I threw up the last glass full I took. Surely there is a better way than this?!!! ☹️"

Samo109 October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "Was reading the other comments. Maybe our taste buds vary greatly. MoviPrep tastes like Lemon Sorbet - intense lemon flavor, heavily sweetened - to mask the taste of whatever Moviprep taste like.. But I didn't find the taste objectionable. Just like a very intense sorbet. It worked quickly - came out in 4 sittings over a half hour. I used it for all 3 of my colonoscopy and plan on using it for my 4th and final."

KyleGo October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "I'm 28 in the UK I'm pretty sure I had the orange version of this prep before and it was a breeze, but taking the plain version for a colonoscopy tomorrow, I'm in a panic. It's been 5 hours and I still haven't finished the 1st litre because I can't keep it down if I drink it any faster. Even after trying to mask the taste by drinking other drinks. What I have had so far also hasn't worked except for some passing wind and abdominal pain. Some dehydration, too. I've drunk a lot more than the recommended 500ml of extra fluids. I'm also concerned that I shouldn't have been given it due to me being referred for heavy bleeding and pain after bowel movements. I had a movement earlier and bled considerably. The prospect of passing out the rest is frightening."

JaiJaiJay September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "I was absolutely dreading taking this. I have a huge fear of having to take any pills, or medicines which is why I won't be having the sedation tomorrow for the colonoscopy - wish me luck. Anyhow I braved it and started taking the first litre at 630. Nothing happened until 8 and I thought it wasn't going to work but now seems to have started :/ Similar experience to others but no cramps thankfully - I'm just going to take the last half glass - its now 8:15. Its fine. I paced it - drank a glass straight down about every 20 minutes and had a full glass of water in between. If I'm not up all night pooping I'll be up all night peeing! It's not bad and you can't taste it if you drink the glass quickly - good luck moviprepers"

willow12 September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "I found the easiest way to take this medication and I wish I figured it out sooner. Freeze the solution until it's a slushy, add crystal light flavoring and eat with a spoon. I went from a glass with ice and iced tea mix with a straw and it took me over 4 hours to drink 8oz to downing 8oz in 20 minutes as a slushy. I found it best to not get anything lemon flavored because you will become sick of that flavor quickly because the solution is a strong lemon flavor. The evacuation was not pleasant but not terrible. I spent short frequent moments on the toilet. The dr says you can actually take as long as you want to drink it, as long as you finish the solution before x amount of time before procedure. drink lots of Gatorade day of."

A.p (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "Took a liter at 6, started going at at 6:45...mixed with Apple juice, and it wasn't too bad. Had it cold, mixed it warm, (cold tap water, ran through filter). It is 8 now and I've had 3 movements...WOW...its like the space shuttle taking off..!! I feel like I'm almost done."

Anonymous September 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "This is my 2nd colonoscopy in 3 years. The first prep I used made me feel very ill, so I was looking forward to trying movi prep. It took 2 hours from the completion of drinking it, for it to cause any motion. It gave me slight gurgling and cramping, but nothing like when you have stomach virus. I took the 2nd part of it at 2:30 am and it caused me to have motion almost immediately. I was worried that I wouldn't make it to the appointment without having to stop at a bathroom on the way, but I didn't. I was also worried because I never got to the point of clear stools. I told my doctor this when I arrived for the appt. The doctor ended up telling me that she saw everything fine."

Sister Teresa (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "Omg just had my first lot of Moviprep and I feel so sick Nothing yet only gurgling stomach It does say it takes an hour to work Will take 2nd dose tonight "

Anonymous August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "This continues my previous review, why I gave it a 7 when I'd have given it a 1 last night... I have constipation, and it still worked. I had a previous prep that didn't quite do the job even after 2 self administered enemas before going in. Saying that, I was in serious discomfort after the first Liter... my abdomen was huge and hard and hurt and I didn't go to the bathroom for almost 3 hours. So for all you constipated ones, hope you read beforehand... I'd get things moving before this prep and eat what you know will move easier out the other end for a few days beforehand."

super yummy (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "26-uk-So the reason I gave 5 is cause I'm currently taking the 1st L. Disgusting, since 7pm I haven't managed to finish the last 4 glasses as I would just wanna throw up and I really need this medicine to work as I have got a colonoscopy tomorrow. Two months ago I was hospitalized for diverticulitis, so now I really need to get passed this examination, until 9pm I managed to drink almost everything, but didn't have any movement, I thought the solution wouldn't work. Then at 10pm when it hit me ! Still didn't finish to go toilet and like the others said its literally like peeing out of your bum. No unbearable cramps though."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "The worst bowel prep I've ever used. I found the solution easier to handle by refrigerating it before drinking. I don't know how anyone could drink it warm. I can't drink large amounts of anything at once so needed to take small sips. EVERY swallow made me want to gag. I am physically unable to vomit, but oh I wished I could. I was nauseated the entire 6 hours of prep. I spent most of the 6 hours (I took part 1 from 6 to 7 PM and part 2 started at 10 PM, finally exiting the bathroom after midnight) in the restroom and thought I'd done well cleaning out my system. Much to my surprise the next morning, I still had dark runny stool. Worse, the DOCTOR reported BAD PREP RESULT with stool remaining so he was NOT ABLE TO SEE WELL. REPEAT"

gailbobk (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "Appalling stuff. I had to have this a couple of years ago, had a violent reaction to it and had to be admitted to hospital. I need a CT scan for adhesions, but I'd rather live with the pain than take Moviprep again."

Pollie (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "Was given Moviprep prior to a colonoscopy procedure. I took Picolax solution 5 years ago for my last colonoscopy and Moviprep was much gentler. Horrible taste - you can't get away from that. I took sips and drank the first litre over an hour. If you drink it too quickly, I found it made you feel a bit sick. Also sipping orange juice or some other drink to take the taste away helped. HUGE tip I got was to use Vaseline to stop your bottom feeling raw. Worked a treat. Good luck to all who are having a colonoscopy."

Devonlass July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gastrointestinal Decontamination "ok so, the 1st time I drank it, I was like eww this thing is disgusting. Well yea, it tastes like watered down lemonade with a lot of salt. So the instructions say to mix it with lukewarm water. You can mix it then refrigerate it BEFORE you drink the first dose. The only reason why it says to use lukewarm is so that the powder dissolves quicker. Well, I stuck to drinking it lukewarm. It took me 2 hours to drink half of the bottle. I was nauseous, light headed, and wanted to quit. My bf called some of the docs on call for me and told him that I wanted to cancel. He advised us nicely and calmy "you can stop drinking til you feel at ease again. make sure you drink plenty of liquids" 2nd dose isn't as bad a first. drink long sips with a straw."

pandadookie (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "The taste is vile, even mixing it with squash did not help that. It took effect straight away though, but I only managed a pint and a half before I was gagging non-stop. However this could be because I did not drink the required amount of water between doses. Either way they said it cleared me out enough for them to see, so it was not an issue. Kind of hoping the effects will stop soon though, as I have been so many times yesterday and today and I am still in a lot of pain with it"

Amy252525 July 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "I have taken this at least 5-6 times for the last 10 years. I have had major problems with it since the first time. Causing me MAJOR FATIGUE. The last time I took it was 3 year's ago and I had very severe cramps and not having enough time to get to the bathroom. I went to the hospital and the doctor said it didn't work good enough so he had me go home and do a second round. I went back the next day and did the process with no energy. I had to do it last night and it was even worse than the other times. I was gagging it down and up all night with severe cramps. I tried the second dose in the morning and I just about started throwing up so I called the office and they said to stop. Once the doctor was done he said it didn't evacuate enough"

NH Grampa (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bowel Preparation "38yrs old. I had a colonoscopy (my 4th) two and a half weeks ago and thought the moviprep was quite vile with it's lemon taste. I think I prefer the previous salt tasting solutions. The taste and prep weren't the problem though. On the morning of my colonoscopy my bowel movement appeared "clear", however when I saw the doctor after he said the prep "wasn't great". I took it exactly as directed and am concerned that the quality isn't as good as the previous preparations I've used. Having worked in theatre for colonoscopies I know how important a good prep is and was extremely disappointed in the effect of this one. The worst thing however is that I've had severe abdominal cramps with horrific diarrhea since, with only 3 day reprieve."

Julie1978 June 25, 2017