User Reviews for MoviPrep

Bowel Preparation

Gastrointestinal Decontamination

Summary of MoviPrep reviews 7.0 247 reviews

Reviews for MoviPrep

For Bowel Preparation "Started drinking the first litre of Moviprep at 7 pm. Finished at 8 and it's now 10 o'clock and it's working (and how). The taste was OK, not great but quite easy to drink (a small glass every 15 mins or so). As for cost, I'm in the UK so it was provided free when I made the appointment for the colonoscopy"

Egmond (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "I had to cancel the scheduled colonoscopy because I could not leave the toilet. It’s nearly 24 hours since I started the first dose and the diarrhoea is still going strong"

Gj (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "If I had known this was invented several years back I would’ve gone for my colonoscopy in a second. Instead I put it off too long . The pharmacist told me about movi- prep . I had to pay $75 as it was not covered on my insurance . Insurance try to force you to buy what they want you to buy in this case : GoLytely. Please, that is so last century. Buy yourself a bag of milkshake straws which are fatter than ordinary straws. Most grocery stores have them . I filled a Pyrex glass jug with the prepared solution, and in just 2-3 hours was finished. I had the best experience ever as I did not have to keep drinking and drinking which was the old way. If you’re hesitating getting your colonoscopy make sure you buy this and follow the instructions ."

NanaM (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "Moviprep is the worst thing I ever tasted in my entire life. I’d rather have a litre of apple cider vinegar! What’s the point to make a medication so awful that the patients can’t hold it down! Completely pointless!"

The one August 30, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "Absolutely the worst stuff I have ever tasted. It would be better if it was plain, not lemon flavor. Unfortunately I have just taken the first does and vomited up at least 8 ounces of it. May not make the procedure because I am not sure I can take the second dose. Pure torture."

JBrew (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "I added a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice in each glass....I used moviprep in blue box...not bad smell and taste. Better then any meds I had before. I'm just an hour after 1st dose and in few hours I'll have 2nd. So far so good and for change it works already. Previously one preps that I tried didn't do a proper job. To be cont."

Pege (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "I did not think it tasted that bad and had no problems after drinking it. I took my 1st dose at 3PM (2 hours before My Dr.'s recommendation) and I'm glad I did because I still had a bowel movement as late as 11:30PM. My bowel movements became clear and yellowish after just a few times. I debated even taking the 2nd dose, but I did so at midnight instead of 5AM from what I learned of the 1st dose that it took a long time to eliminate it from my GI tract. Also, I drank 2/3 of the 2nd dose within 5 minutes and threw out the rest. I didn't want to have a bowel movement during the examination. While changing into a hospital gown in the bathroom at the hospital just after 9AM I had a small bowel movement. (By the way, tie the gown before you put it on - it is much easier than doing it when you have it on. I finally figured this out on my own. How come no nurse ever told me this?). Here's what my Dr. wrote about the prep: "The quality of the preparation was good. The views were good.""

SoCalGuy August 18, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "Absolutely disgusting taste "

Steph (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "Horrible! I don't know who dreamed this up. It's like drinking 4 liters of cooking oil. I was told it's better cold (it's probably the only way you can swallow it) Half way through I was shaking so hard that my teeth were chattering. The prep worked but I will never, ever use this foul stuff again."

LB (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "Had to use this to prep for a morning appotiment. Started at 4pm and finished the second dose of at 11pm. It wasn't until the second lot that really got anything moving. Took about three hours to kick in and once it did, it didn't stop until the wee hours of the morning. I got the orange flavoured one, the taste was the worst part. That with the urge to throw up while drinking it. Especially since I was not able to chase with any food, gum or candy. Apple juice was a decent chaser though. So it works great, the taste is awful and maybe use wet wipes to be kind to your bottom because by the end of it, its gunna hurt."

Shannon July 31, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "Did the 2 stage MoviPrep for the first time and it was the easiest and best prep I have done and I've done four. I have had poor preps in the past so I decided to reduce fiber intake the week before which also helped. I chilled the first 32 ounces and started at 1 PM and drank 8 ozs about every 20 minutes. The taste was not that bad and I chased each dose with an ice popsicle and some water. It was not nearly as bad for me as MiraLax or Go Lightly which I could not tolerate. No nausea, no cramping, just some gurgling as the stuff took effect. After the first dose I was not completely clear but the second dose (6 PM) did the trick. Colonoscopy itself was a breeze (propofol is your friend, do not settle for IV demerol), always enjoy the initial feeling of falling off, did not remember a thing and woke up a little groggy but fine. Doc said the prep was excellent and no polyps or abnormalities. Overall, the best experience for me in now 5 tries. Hope this reassures and helps someone else."

rb May 22, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "Used this last night first litre at 5pm, second at 8pm. Each litre I managed to get down in one hour, including the extra 500ml clear liquid for each prep. Unfortunately there were no bowel movements at all. I was jumping around trying to bring a movement on, and felt very bloated and had a painful stomach. Had read that if no bowel movement in 6 hours to call a Doctor. By 10.30 pm I was very distressed and called 111. I had a Sigmoidoscopy due at 10 am the next day. The clinician gave advice pending the Dr phoning, such as a hot bath, rubbing stomach in clockwise direction and lying on floor with legs in air cycling. I tried them all and at 11.25 pm finally I had success. The Dr called at 12.45 am thankfully all was well by then. The printout after my procedure said “bowel prep fair”, it was not even a clear result after all that distress. It was a very unpleasant experience and I would wish to avoid Moviprep in the future."

Jellyfish (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "I was truly in panic mode after reading some of these reviews. If anyone is going to experience side effects, it is me. Well, I had zero side effects. This prep worked very quickly.....very quickly! I barely finished the 2nd glass on my first dosing before it kicked in. I will admit, it tastes disgusting and I had a hard time getting it down come the second half of the prep. It tastes like dirty ocean water with a splash of lemon. Make sure you hydrate well during this prep."

Dix (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "It was horrible! I took it like it was prescribed and made it through 3/4 of the first bottle. I felt nauseous so I relaxed in bed for a few and then my legs stiffened and slowly started shaking uncontrollably! Then they would stop shaking suddenly. Then 5-10 minutes later they would start shaking again. I was terrified! This happened 6-7 times before my husband and I decided I needed to go to the ER. They continued on the way there and even at the hospital! It probably happened at least 15 times before they gave me Benadryl and IV fluids. Then as I was leaving the ER I started vomiting! There was no way I was going to finish the prep and my appointment for testing was at 8:00 in the morning. I was on the toilet all night and nauseous. Luckily I was cleaned out enough to go through with the test but I will never use Moviprep again! My legs are so sore and hard to walk on today and it was so scary what I was going through!"

Robin (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "I took moviprep last week, which has given me abdominal cramps, nausea, chill and shivering. Its almost a week since I have taken moviprep, and today after eating my food I am still getting abdominal cramps, chills, shivers and nausea. I hope this is not a permanent damage!"

ST (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "The taste was just orange and salty... The first 1 litre takes about an hour to work, it wasn't too bad..The 2nd 1 litre was awful and seems to work quicker."

louisre (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "Wow, all that worrying for nothing. The whole process was a piece of cake. I mean seriously, it was such a breeze. Like some have said the hardest part is being so hungry. Sure, MoviPrep doesn't taste good, but it's not that bad either. It's just very salty and lemony. Does that sound so scary? It's just 4 - 8 oz. cups per dose... Easy. Just suck on a hard candy right after and the aftertaste is gone. Really, nothing to it. I was finished drinking in 45 minutes and in the bathroom 15 minutes later. Just hung out for a half an hour or so with my tablet and that was mostly it. Maybe 2 or 3 more visits before I went to bed and I slept great! Didn't like getting up at 4 AM, but no big deal. 2 hours after starting the process I was back to my normal duties around the house... If my family didn't see me drinking the stuff they wouldn't have even known. The hospital visit was even easier and right after I left I directly out to eat and had a big steak and baked potato... and it was soooo good!"

Very Worried (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "Horrible! The first 8 oz ok, 2nd. Ok. Got to the last 8 oz of the first liter and I want to vomit! I am not one to throw up but I am begging myself to keep it down. I am chilled. It's ok. Started at 5:45 and already watery stools at 7:26. I can not fathom having to drink the next liter. Why can't I just take pills??? Tried hard candy-no, tried chilled-no, straw not helping! Look I would rather be on a liquid diet for 3 days!"

LgmomOf3 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "My times to take movi-prep were 6pm and 4am . I like many others premixed and chilled before use ,I also used a straw to help get passed tastebuds ...took as directed 1/4 every 15 minutes 6pm drink went well Approx 10 min after finishing I had to go to the bathroom and soon it came to a point I could not leave the restroom for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I went to bed - should have put on a depends ...lol...lol..up several times durning the night. Had to wake up at 4 am for next dose ... Watery dirrahea started early Even before taking moviprep.. Still sitting on toilet and its been 2 and 1/2 hours ... Think I'll have a red target ring from sitting so long ..lol..lol.. Hoping to stop soon to get up and get ready for a fun filled day at the doctors . This stuff works ...worst part is having to stay on toilet for me"

Not fun but necessary February 23, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "Okay... Taste: Not great. A bit like a syrupy/metallic taste. Just drink it very quickly and you’ll be okay. I drank mine within about 10 minutes. Makes you feel slightly nauseous drinking it that quickly, but it’s much better than messing around and drinking it slowly. Bowel movements started about 20 minutes after drinking. You basically just pass liquids. I probably went to the toilet 5 or 6 times during 1 and a half hours after finishing the drink. Didn’t need to run to the toilet, or sit in the bathroom for the duration. You can feel that you need to go and you can go at your leisure. The second dose seemed to work quicker, within probably 5 minutes of finishing the drink. Again, over a 1.5 hour spell I probably went around 6 times - passing liquids only. Use wet wipes, whack some cream on and you’ll be okay. You get sore towards the end but it has to be done."

Gahaoanw (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "I am a 59 year old woman in Caribbean. First colonoscopy was 14 years ago and had to drink the 4 liters. Was not horrible. Used moviprep this time. It is not pleasant but not bad at all. I just chilled it in freezer almost consistency of a slushy. I was told to do 4 and 8 pm for a morning procedure. The first dose was fairly easy to get down, I chugged about 9 ounces very 20 minutes. Started to work in about 90 minutes. I also sucked on a peppermint right after dose and that helped a lot. Remember to drink the other required liquids during process. Took 2nd litre at 8pm which I divided into 3 drinks within an hour, just to get done. Worked well, was done being cleaned out by about 11 pm. No cramps, just some slight chills. Keep drinking ...tea and broth worked for me. It works, it's not terrible. Get it done."

Choirgirl (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "God awful taste way to sweet very hard to get down. The pills and Gatorade I did years ago was ten times easier. Lots of gas pain, chest discomfort, smell of bleach in nose, very uneasy, agitated, hard time sleeping etc.... hate this stuff plus directions from doctor where very poor. There has to be something easier for some patients."

Kracker55 (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "Went for a colonoscopy yesterday ! After taking the moviprep day before , I took it exactly as stated, and I thought it tasted ok ,lemon. It cleared me out completely, I even took the dogs out later, but I drank it very quickly, had sedation for my op but the pain was bad, due to air been blown up, had banding done , no cramps or stomach ache, I definitely recommend sedation , and the bonus is my flat tummy now, gunna change my diet a bit now. I'm 71 "

Porx January 27, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "Awful taste, had to make a conscious effort to keep it down. Worked a little two well, took first litre and within 1 hour was only passing liquid. When it came to the second litre it started working within 5 minutes, passed only liquid. Could not leave the throne for a good 2 hours with both litres, started bleeding from back passage after second litre due to the prolonged violent cleanings, very painful. Hope I never see any more of this stuff."

Jace (Nickname already in use) January 24, 2018

For Bowel Preparation "FAILED prep and colonoscopy could NOT be done. The night before, drank 1 L within an hour, it worked for a few hours. At 5:00 a.m. drink the second litre within an hour. It was still working at 8:30 a.m. Luckily no problem on the way to the clinic, but had to go to their restroom before checking in. I think this is cutting it too close. Anyway I thought I was finally clear, but they woke me from the colonoscopy to say the prep had not worked well at all. Lesson learned for me. If you have a sluggish system typically, ask for a different prep than this one."

WishYouGoodHealth January 19, 2018