User Reviews for Phenelzine

Depression 8.8
Migraine Prevention 7.0

Reviews for Phenelzine

Floralgal · Taken for 10 years or more August 1, 2020

For Depression: “I have been on nardil for over 30 years. It gave me a life after being sick for over 7 years in my 20s. I had no quality of life with my depression and anxiety. I was homebound and not able to function. The thought of not being able to obtain them terrifies me. Life would almost be too hard without it - I'm not exaggerating when I say that. I can't go back to that dark place again.”

SJ · Taken for 10 years or more July 30, 2020

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: “Hello, On 29 July 2020 I was called by a sympathetic and capable mental health pharmacist for the UK NHS. She said the NHS has been *officially told* that Nardil will be discontinued “in the near future”. The NHS must safely transfer all UK patients to other treatments in the months ahead. We both acknowledged that MAOIs are often a last-resort—I'd trialled some 6–8 medications before Nardil, over ten years. The clinician was obliged to ask which of those failed meds had shown the most positives for me, or fewest side-effects. After feeling steady on Nardil for 10 years, I don't recall which earlier meds were least worst(!). But it’s discouraging. I asked about Parnate, but it seems unavailable to UK prescribers. I don’t have the whole story. Do ask your doctor or pharmacist very soon. And remember it’s unwise to change medicines or cease Nardil abruptly. Thank you and best wishes!”

Ross · Taken for 10 years or more June 30, 2020

For Depression: “Been on Nardil for 20 years in Australia. No other antidepressants worked. Seeing as it is not available I am having no luck with two alternate medications either so far. I have been feeling terrible now for 3 months. It is obvious it is a World wide problem. None available in New Zealand, Australia, Canada, UK, Italy and sporadic supply in the USA as I understand. There obviously are other nations affected also but I only have English. What makes me angry is none of the Governments of these Nations have been in contact with each other to try and find a new Manufacturer. I am certain there would be many Manufacturers who would make Nardil if they knew they had a Guaranteed Market in even the above Nations. Why are they as far as I can see doing nothing?”

Canuck · Taken for 10 years or more June 16, 2020

Nardil (phenelzine): “ERFA Canada is NOT taking enough action to get this medication back in circulation. I've called ERFA every other week since March only to be told, 'there's a shortage" (no 'sh*t sherlock), to made up manufacturing dates, and for the past month it's being "tested" (What?), and now shipping delays are their convenient excuse. Quit lying to consumers - our lives are in the balance without this medication. Like many others, nothing else has worked. We need Nardil. Get the med out for distribution!”

Druggist · Taken for 10 years or more June 14, 2020

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: “I have been using Nardil for about 40 years. It has been truly a life-altering medication for me. Before Nardil, I had been prescribed the entire spectrum of antidepressants, and none were even nearly completely effective. Nardil plus an antipsychotic has brought me to 100% remission, and this has been maintained for many years. Yes, I do have very occasional depressed periods, but they are short in duration and they reverse rapidly. Additionally, as for me I have no dietary issues or interactions with other prescription drugs. I feel very lucky that I found Nardil and that it works so well for me without complications!”

Jamesy June 5, 2020

For Depression: “I live in the UK. I was put on Nardil in 1980s when I was 25. I was suffering bad phobias and anxiety attacks. Adrenalin was running riot and lost weight, had a red face and nose and was close to not leaving my house. They saved my life and I have been on them nearly 35 years. I have tried a couple of times to come off them but felt awful. I am fortunate my doctors get me unlicensed import supplies but they do cost a fortune, the pharmacy showed me the prices. I have to wait a long time for each prescription as Clinigen charge around £40 per 60 tabs for the unbranded phenelzine but are out of stock and the Nardil branded ones are around £220 per 60 tabs! The UK supplier to NHS charged around £20 per 100 tablets. All about money and my pharmacist asked if I could try and come off them, the biggest fear is that they are stopped being produced. If so, I don't think I will have a life to live, it's so scary.”

Felindown · Taken for 10 years or more May 19, 2020

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: “I began taking Nardil—Phenelzine Sulfate—in 1996. My Dr tried prescribing several other medications before using Nardil. The side effects of nardil are not good, but at least I am alive and functioning. The worst aspect of the med? You never know when the manufacturer is going to get behind making it. Once it was due to a worker strike.”

Cherela · Taken for 10 years or more May 5, 2020

For Depression: “I’ve been taking Nardil for 14 years. It is the only medication that helped me. I was hospitalized and given ECT but nothing worked but Nardil. Like many others, I am worried about the shortage of Nardil. I live in the USA. Has anyone been able to transition to another MAOI?”

Angel · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 1, 2020

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: “Nardil changed my life. I have tried almost every SSRI, SNRI, the atypicals and buspirone, etc for social anxiety disorder. They don't come close to Nardil. I have atypical depression, social anxiety, GAD, and ADD. The side effects are low blood pressure and insomnia. Easily treated with meds. I have tried everything on the banned food list and never had any slight increase whatsoever in BP. I am convinced the tyramine thing is just an old myth. When I first tried Nardil it was like a light came on after living my whole life in the dark. I will be on this med for the rest of my life as long as they keep making it.”

KimD April 29, 2020

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: “I have been on Nardil for thirty years due to a bad period in my marriage that brought on my panic disorder again and depression. I started on three, fifteen mg tablets per day and reduced this dose to two 15mg tablets over the course of one year over ten years ago. During the Covid 19 crisis, I have found it increasingly difficult to obtain Nardil and, when left with sixteen tablets and the possibility of not obtaining more, I reduced the dose from two tablets per day to one over the course of two weeks. At first I suffered only sleeplessness but then itching all over and tiredness began throughout the day. I have managed to obtain more Nardil but at greater cost and these come from overseas . Mentally I feel fine but physically awful. A general practitioner I saw once told me that Nardil my have taken over my Serotonin production. Can anyone tell me if my Serotonin will bounce back to normal or am I destined to be on this pill forever?”

Adrian · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 28, 2020

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: “My 22 year old son tried over a dozen antidepressants without getting relief from debilitating depression with suicidal thoughts. He also tried TMS and Ketamine infusions with no relief. He had almost immediate relief from his symptoms from Nardil 30 mg twice a day. He also takes Seroquel at night to aid sleeping and relieve anxiety. This medication saved my son’s life. We have not had trouble getting it here (Wisconsin), thus far. I don’t know what we would do if it was not available.”

memr · Taken for 10 years or more April 22, 2020

For Depression: “Phenelzine changed my life. I was on all the other types of antidepressants, antipsychotics, mood stabilisers, had ETC, did DBT, CBT, etc. I was in hospital for most of a period of 3 years before my doctor put me on phenelzine. I've been on it all my adult life but didn't think I'd make it past 21 before that. It's allowed me to thrive in a way I never thought I'd have a chance to. I'm scared of what will happen now that there's a shortage. I don't want to go back to the place I was before. I believe that I, like many others, I don't know how I would face life without phenelzine. It's inhumane to be held hostage like this by drug companies.”

Sammy · Taken for 10 years or more April 12, 2020

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: “I have been on Nardil for over 30 years. After the birth of my second child I went through a severe postpartum depression. I had two doctors who tried to treat me with antidepressants and this failed miserably. I was fortunate enough to find a psychiatrist who prescribed Nardil. Within a month I was feeling better. I have continued to have a wonderful life on this medication. I now find myself with a prescription for Nardil but unable to locate any in Canada at pharmacies or on line. Please advise if you can help me find Nardil.”

Sammy9 April 11, 2020

For Depression: “April10, 2020 I went on Nardil after I went through a postpartum depression many years ago. When I went to renew my prescription this month my pharmacist told me my doctor would have to put me on another medication. I now need to find a new source for Nardil.”

Lynny · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 1, 2020

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: “Nardil has kept me out of hospital for 5 years but now I cannot get hold of it in UK despite pleading with my Psychiatrist. Feeling so bad I'm going back on a section.”

Tuco · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 30, 2020

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: “In 1986 while separated from my wife, I gradually fell into a black hole marked by anxiety, obsessive self-accusing thoughts, and suicidal ideation. I went to a psychiatrist who prescribed Desyrel, which did nothing. I went to another psychiatrist. This one prescribed imiprimine. No good. Then we tried desiprimine among others. Nothing. Meanwhile I went to the library and did research on atypical depressions. There was no internet then. I asked for a script for Nardil. He was wary of prescribing it and prescribed something else. Again no good. The next time I almost begged to try it, and he agreed. About four or five days later the clouds lifted and the sun came out. I have never experienced a miracle, but Nardil comes close. The obsessive thoughts stopped. So did the guilt, the feelings of self-worthlessness, the suicidal ideation, and the anhedonia. All gone. Nardil probably saved my life. It was wonderful beyond description.”

Quickly March 23, 2020

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: “Nardil helped me stop drinking which also helped my suicidal depression. I'm now 12 years into using it and it has become less effective fighting depression lately, the last year. Thinking about weaning off 60mg per day and start drinking again. That was at least a good buzz and I will fight feelings of depression on my own.”

Astral_Soul · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2020

Nardil (phenelzine): “I wasn’t diagnosed yet with bipolar. This was my first visit to my psychiatrist to treat my bipolar depression which I thought was major depressive disorder. We went up to 90mg Nardil because it wasn’t taking effect. Holy crap did it feel amazing but I was in an extreme state of mania. I spent so much money. I was delusional. It was not good for me. Way too strong this is serious stuff. The diet sucks. I gained a lot of weight and literally could not poop. I had to take laxatives regularly. My appetite was also affected big time. All I wanted was cookies, cakes, any sweets I could get. I came off it because I could not ejaculate for the life of me. That was the tipping point after a few months. I got off it. I do not recommend this for anyone with bipolar 1 especially, nor for bipolar 2.”

Scheinberg March 18, 2020

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: “Re Nardil manufacturer Kyowa Kirin emailed me today to confirm there is no guarantee the drug will become available Please note to all NHS patients : DO NOT be fobbed off by your GP saying he cannot get involved with funding the difference between the cost of Nardil and phelezine sulphate import as a special My GP did this to me ! So this is what I did “ I called my CCG Press office and put the fear of god in the staff ! I emailed a strong urgent letter to be forwarded to head of complaints stating that this matter can not wait 28 days for a formal response I explained that my nhs GP issued a script for Nardil and when I took script to pharmacy I was told “ we are running a business not a bank !” They asked me to pay £99 plus postage 60 tablets”

Gjg91 March 8, 2020

For Depression: “Like many people on this website, I'm afraid I'll have to stop taking Nardil due to the shortage (I'm Canadian). This medication is wonderful; it gave me my brain back. Nothing else treated my depression before. I was always so weak I was always looking to a place to be sit, and Nardil allowed me to be energetic as before. Last month, I found a chain of pharmacy that had a provider that was able to provide Nardil. Now they are backorder too. I'm already tapering Nardil and I'm scared!”

Motherbaggins · Taken for 10 years or more March 2, 2020

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: “I am in the same position as the other people posting reviews in that I am worried to death about the shortage of Nardil both in the Uk and Canada. I would just like to mention to the people who have posted on here that there is a support forum on this site for Nardil/Phenelzine where it’s possible to chat to each other about our concerns maybe have a look and see what you think Motherbaggins”

Veronica cohen · Taken for 10 years or more February 28, 2020

For Depression: “Phenelzine/Nardil has given me back my life & myself for over 45 years. It’s important to take the diet seriously,& tell any medics, dentists etc before any treatment. Vron”

CJ February 24, 2020

For Depression: “This medication has truly been a lifesaver for me. I'm 29, female and have struggled since I was 13 with OCD, major depression and anxiety. I've literally tried all the other drug classes of antidepressants and none have worked as well as Nardil. I felt great after about a week and my energy levels are so high, that I have to set an alarm to actually sleep! Unfortunately when I first started on 45mg daily, I was having crazy nightmares and sleep paralysis. I dropped my dose to 30mg daily with the help of my doctor (because I'm underweight as well). When I eventually gain weight, I'll go up to the normal dose. No bad side effects whatsoever except appetite suppression. This isn't good for me because I'm already underweight. Working with a dietitician soon though. 10/10 for this drug! Please keep manufacturing it Canada!”

Bigkohn · Taken for 10 years or more February 11, 2020

For Depression: “I had been a heavy drinker from the time I was 15 until I was 35, when I stopped alcohol for good. Shortly after I stopped drinking, I had my first panic attack. I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed an antipsychotic drug. I tried most of the tricyclic drugs over the next couple of years. These either didn't work or side effects were intolerable. My physician referred me to a psychiatrist who immediately prescribed Nardil. Thirty three years later, I 'm stable being on Nardil. I haven't had problems with food interactions as I've checked my BP over the years when trying different foods. The only drawback of Nardil is having to have pharmacies order it every time I need it. The worst situation was when the manufacturer got behind on a supply of Nardil. I phoned over 20 different drug stores only to find out they had no Nardil either. Cold turkey with no advance warning of the shortage. Drug manufacturers don't have to let their customers know when they have no supply left.”

daryl · Taken for 10 years or more February 4, 2020

For Depression: “phenelzine is an excellent medication. Nothing compares. Been on it 20 years and now having all sorts of problems getting it here in Australia. Had the Canadian one imported, which was the same as the Australian, but now there are problems with getting it in. Very concerned about what will happen. I have tried to change to Parnate before, but Parnate did nothing for me and I had a heap of withdrawal effects from the Nardil. I really hope this is sorted out.”