User Reviews for Phenelzine

8.4

Migraine Prevention

Summary of Phenelzine reviews 8.3 51 reviews

Reviews for Phenelzine

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I was a daily drinker until at 35, I stopped the alcohol after being unable to work. A few months later I experienced a severe panic attack. I saw a doctor who began prescribing antipsychotics and antidepressants. None of these worked for me. After trying a half dozen tricyclics, I saw a psychiatrist who put me on Nardil. After a couple weeks the depression and anxiety lifted. I've been on 90 mg nardil, going from 60mg. After an episode of PTSD 11 years ago, a psychiatrist took me off of the nardil thinking it wasn't working anymore. Stupid shrink was not able to identify PTSD after I described my situation. Trying a few SSRI's, I was really messed up for a few years until another doctor put me back on nardil. I've been back on nardil 90mg about 9 years now. It's working ok now,"

Bigkohn July 9, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for : "In 1977 I had my 1st full blown panic attack. They kept getting worse. I saw a Freudian shrink for 7 yrs with no help. In 1984 Dr. David Sheehan's book THE ANXIETY DISEASE came out. I found a psychopharmacologist & he put me on Nardil & xanax, and in 9 days I had my life back. I have endogenous panic disorder with agoraphobia and tried all sorts of antidepressants, none of which worked for me. Once I started Nardil at 90 mg daily, I got my life back! Now I take 45 mg a day and am just fine! The food restriction are not hard to follow as what I can't have is gross anyway. My opinion of Nardil is " From Gods hand to my mouth" THANK GOD FOR NARDIL!!!"

Raven Darling (taken for 10 years or more) June 21, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I've been on 60mg day for nearly 20 years. Although not easy, low carb diet will beat weight gain."

Nick (taken for 10 years or more) June 11, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for : "Started on phenelzine (Nardil) in the 1980's. It saved me from the bleakness of depression mixed with anxiety. Two things: the young psychiatrist who first prescribed it told me most of his patients did not have to heed the dietary restrictions. Suggested that if I wanted I could try one ounce of any food/beverage on the list, then wait one half hour. If after that time I developed a (mild) headache at the base of my skull, I’d have to avoid item. Turns out I can eat or drink whatever I want. (I've read current information that shows the dietary restrictions have been exaggerated.) Secondly: Despite warnings that once you stop taking it, phenelzine will not prove effective should you begin taking it again in the future...I have gone for extended periods where I have NOT taken phenelzine, with no loss of effectiveness when I began taking it again. True for me, at least."

Misha May 16, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "1 week on Nardil up to 90Mg daily. Weight gain 10 lbs. Extreme stomach bloat looking like 8 months pregnant."

Navyman94 (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I was diagnosed with major depression in 2011. At one point, I was lying on the floor of my office in the fetal position. I clearly needed help. I already had a psychiatrist who had been treating me for anxiety. We switched over to addressing major depression as opposed to anxiety. 2011 was a horrible year as we looked for a medication to deal with my condition. After many discouraging trials, I was put onto Nardil. It worked!!! There is more to the story, but as has been reported by others, Nardil is literally a life saver."

Alfonzodecredenza (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 1, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "Was sailing along nicely on 90mg nardil 45mg twice daily for approximately 1 year after almost 30 years of on and off depression PTSD symptoms and then everything came to an abrupt halt ??? I don't know what happened. Have since tried Trinquilex, Wellbutrin, and TMS and unfortunately sad again a year older and feeling a bit hopeless. Going to ask provider to consider revisit Nardil for a home run before I reach 80 years of age with some enjoyment in this life I hope they best for all struggling with these issues"

Navyman94 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "Whilst hospitalized for MDD w/psychotic features, my docs were running out of SSRI’s (?) to try and one decided to try Nardil — although it’s not recommended for severe depression. Because I was hospitalized, the severe food restrictions when taking Nardil were handled by the dietary folks. My positive response came within a week. I wasn’t cured but I was more able to speak with others. Because I had a history of high blood pressure and heart disease my blood pressure was closely monitored. I was taken off of Nardil because my docs feared that I might have a fatal stroke. Pity, as Nardil was the only antidepressant medication that ever made me feel better."

amicable (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I have been taking nardil over 30yrs. It was a new lease on life no other antidepressants worked for me.the only,side effect,is weight gain.my doctor has lowered my dosage over the years from 15mg three times a day to two times a day. Watch out for hypotension, when first starting nardil and follow dietary restrictions. The only issue I had was the formulation was changed about 12 years ago, and new formulary does not work as well. I wish I could locate the old formulation."

Jl (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I’ve taken Nardil for over 40 years, it’s an excellent drug, the diet & med restrictions are well worth it... Be sure you carry your card or have a medical bracelet"

Wissie February 25, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "On 90mg (45mgX2 daily) for 2 years effectively reversed Depression. Cons weight gain 20lbs, inability to have orgasm. Weak erections."

Rallysport13 January 22, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I had been on this in 1982 for years , (it worked , but then no one wanted to prescribe it) . After many different SSRI combos and add ons ,and finally Bupropion , and even TMS nothing. Went back on 75mg of Nardil my whole attitude has changed, everyone at work has noticed. This should be treated as a drug of last resort though. There are over a 1000 drug interactions, not to mention the food issues"

GauGreg (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2017

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "Nardil is the only antidepressant that has worked for me. I️ have a bit of insomnia on it but at least I️ have motivation and don’t get upset with people like I️ used to."

Crawfish346 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 13, 2017

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I had been in and out of the hospital for many years, tried all classes of anti depressants and even several in different classes, BICYCLICS, TRICYCLICS, then most of the SSRI's. After continuing to get worse, my doctor and I decided to try ECT (shock treatment). I received 13 treatments (and no, it was nothing like One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest lol) but it also didn't help at all. Thirty years burning down the road, nowhere to run, got nowhere to go... he, as a last ditch effort, tried Nardil and to almost sound trite, I pulled a full 180 degree turn around. There were a few side-effects, some weight gain and a lessor libido and difficulty to orgasm, though if you knew me now, you'd know NONE of these side effects exist any longer!"

Glenn T. Kitchen (taken for 10 years or more) November 5, 2017

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I took nardil for 4 years. It changed my personality drastically. I went from depressed and withdrawn to hypomanic (which is like half way to fully manic). Much more sociable and I also became a workaholic. The side effects were intolerable - extreme weight gain (gained 50 lbs which brought me over 200 lbs. had never been overweight before or since) and anorgasmia. I did prefer hypomania to unipolar depression but eventually I pooped out on it as everyone seems to do in these designer ADs within a few years. There was a study which found that MAOIs like Nardil can permanently damage your mu receptors preventing you from having the capability to experience euphoria and that happened to me also. I wish I never taken any of those drugs."

xzardozx (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2017

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I tried many medications and many combinations with little or no effect. As a last effort, I turned to the internet and stumbled across some positive info about Nardil. It took awhile to even find a doctor that would prescribe it. I have now been on 90 mgs for around four or five years and it works very well with few unwanted side effects. I take it in combination with 20mgs of Zyprexa for a very severe form of generalized anxiety that I have."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 6, 2017

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "Nardil is an amazing drug. I honestly do not know where I would be without it. I wish more doctors would be willing to prescribe it to people."

Cosis (taken for 10 years or more) April 9, 2017

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "5 weeks after I started Nardil my life completely changed. After 15 years I could smile again. I have tried every drug under the sun for my depression and social anxiety (SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, APs, benzos, opiates) but nothing has worked until Nardil."

zeusovich (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2017

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "Severe anxiety and debilitating depression - a normal active happy person reduced to nothing but the dark in a bed for months. Prescribed every drug in the book in every combination - twice! All absolutely utterly totally useless. One day my doc said we are going to try an unusual dangerous drug - Nardil, because its your only hope. FANTASTIC UTTERLY INCREDIBLE. In two days I was living again and I was nearly better."

Rick Pointar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2016

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I am currently taking 15 mg three x per day (total of 45mg). The first month was the worst. The main side effect that I had was body aches and muscle stiffness that never lessened. Once a month passed the body aches went away and I noticed a faint constant headache. After about a week that went away too. The only side effect I notice now (after 2 months on Nardil) is a pounding headache lasting 10 seconds and light headedness when I get up to stand from laying down and swelling. It give it 4/10 because it has made my suicidal thoughts disappear and I am less teary and emotional. Has not helped my overall mood or general sense of wellbeing. I find the dietary restrictions hard to follow."

Chinooker (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2016

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "Works very well for my depression. Only medication I found that actually works.. I have tried a bunch too. From SSRI to SNRI to benzo . I am on 90mg and im about to reach 1 month on Nardil. I hope it only gets better! I really recommend this medication if all the others failed. Love you Nardil!!!"

Farshad1997 (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I've struggled with depression and social anxiety all my life and have recently been treated with a variety of different antidepressants. I think I am depressed because of a narsisstic mother who seemed to be unable to love unconditionally. While Nardil might well help others, I don't feel it has helped me and the effect on sexual activity it depressing in itself. I am currently seeing a psychotherapist and while it is very hard to deal with the issues that come up, I think it might be my salvation. I do hope so."

Old and Grey September 28, 2016

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "Tried so many anti depressants from 1982 to present then finally looked up Nardil and asked my provider to please please try it as i am tired of going back and forth on the Old and the new medications. Started the titrade from 25 mg daily and up to 45mg twice daily with such a relief from years of depression and anxiety after diagnosed with PTSD. Felt best at the 90mg daily but now i notice the feeling is fading and I am wondering if the new batches are No good. I speak of food for myself as i eat anything that i want and have not experienced any negative feeling. Weight gain is a real negative especially in my gut and i can seem to get rid of it."

Navyman94 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2016

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "Ptsd anxiety, Lifted after 20 years of suffering and isolation. On 90 mgs daily 9 months feel like enjoying life. Have cheated and eat as normal, Inorgasm problem eased with concurrent 05 mg cabergoline gives multiple orgasm. Weight gain in stomach very disappointing."

Navyman94 August 6, 2016

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "After trying every other kind of antidepressant over the past 9 or so years, Nardil was my first try at an MAOI. The dietary restrictions were less difficult to get used to and less strict than they appeared at first. I was on 30mg of Nardil a day and didn't notice any effect, but after increasing to 45mg/day, I felt the best I've felt in years and it seemed that my depression might be cured at last. ...however, I also had the most side effects I've ever had from a medication: constipation, difficulty urinating, insomnia, and inability to reach an orgasm. Because of the bladder issues and insomnia, I've been forced to resume my search."

BubbaTheBubbed (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2016