User Reviews for Phenelzine

8.3

Migraine Prevention

Summary of Phenelzine reviews 8.2 58 reviews

Reviews for Phenelzine

For Depression: "I wasn't overly concerned about the food restrictions."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2019

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I’ve been taking Nardil in varying doses for over 40 years for my depression & it has never let me down. I suffer from depression with a lot of anxiety, always on a low maintenance dose, I raise it if I have a blip. The diet & med restrictions have to be taken seriously, but that’s a very small price to pay to living without the awful symptoms which are so life-restricting. Nardil is the only med that’s helped me, the other groups did nothing. Huge thanks to the scientists who formulated Nardil! X"

Wissie March 26, 2019

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "Nardil is the only drug that has helped my depression. I have been on it for approximately 25 years. I really miss the old Nardil!! I felt so much better on it & had so much more energy. The original company that made Nardil sold it to another company approximately 12 years ago. It seems the ingredients were changed considerably! ( I assume to save them money.) I felt this was very unkind & unfair to do this! I feel the new Nardil is not near as effective as the old one. I certainly wish the original one would come back!!"

Faithful January 30, 2019

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I experience social anxiety, extreme introvert. Nardil helped me to talk easily with anyone about anything. It eased my self-consciousness and helped me with anxiety. It did cause me to have an insatiable appetite for sweets, especially ice cream so the weight gain was tremendous. I wish I could go back on it again but don't want to go through the whole psychiatric scene again so I deal with social anxiety."

Whale (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 28, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "Took away my panic attacks, but gave me depression, severe agitation, and a racing heart. I may have been a bad candidate for this drug since I'm pretty high strung. At 45 mg, I experienced insomnia like never before-- no sleep for 5 days straight! Every time I would not off, I would get jerked wide awake. I was scared I was never going to sleep again. I don't recommend this if you are med sensitive. Withdrawals are a whole different story, way worse than any ssri or snri. Please be careful with this drug."

Annali03 (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "It turned my life around while I was on it. From severe depression and social anxiety to feeling okay(!) and loving to socialize. I never had problems with the food restrictions. There's a shorter list out now that's more accurate. I was never a drinker, so I didn't miss that. You can't take cold medicines, but that's a small price to pay if you're really suffering from depression. I went off of it after 7 years due to side effects of weight gain and edema in both legs. This might have been managed by sticking to a low-carb diet and not giving in to sugar cravings. (Note on withdrawal: I had incredibly vivid, terrible nightmares when withdrawing. Adding Clonazepam shut them down.) I'm now trying to get back on Nardil. Unfortunately my old psychiatrist retired, and I'm having a hard time finding a new one who will prescribe it. This was the only med I took that made me feel more like myself, not less. I miss it."

stevie September 3, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I’ve taken Nardil for over 40 years on & off, recently having had three bereavements I had a relapse, & my doctor increased my dose to 60 mgs, within 2 days I feel the Nardil magic, calm, happy but not high, able to organise, function properly & be more sociable... Ten out of Ten for Nardil. Vron x"

Veronica cohen (taken for 10 years or more) August 17, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I was a daily drinker until at 35, I stopped the alcohol after being unable to work. A few months later I experienced a severe panic attack. I saw a doctor who began prescribing antipsychotics and antidepressants. None of these worked for me. After trying a half dozen tricyclics, I saw a psychiatrist who put me on Nardil. After a couple weeks the depression and anxiety lifted. I've been on 90 mg nardil, going from 60mg. After an episode of PTSD 11 years ago, a psychiatrist took me off of the nardil thinking it wasn't working anymore. Stupid shrink was not able to identify PTSD after I described my situation. Trying a few SSRI's, I was really messed up for a few years until another doctor put me back on nardil. I've been back on nardil 90mg about 9 years now. It's working ok now,"

Bigkohn July 9, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for : "In 1977 I had my 1st full blown panic attack. They kept getting worse. I saw a Freudian shrink for 7 yrs with no help. In 1984 Dr. David Sheehan's book THE ANXIETY DISEASE came out. I found a psychopharmacologist & he put me on Nardil & xanax, and in 9 days I had my life back. I have endogenous panic disorder with agoraphobia and tried all sorts of antidepressants, none of which worked for me. Once I started Nardil at 90 mg daily, I got my life back! Now I take 45 mg a day and am just fine! The food restriction are not hard to follow as what I can't have is gross anyway. My opinion of Nardil is " From Gods hand to my mouth" THANK GOD FOR NARDIL!!!"

Raven Darling (taken for 10 years or more) June 21, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I've been on 60mg day for nearly 20 years. Although not easy, low carb diet will beat weight gain."

Nick (taken for 10 years or more) June 11, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for : "Started on phenelzine (Nardil) in the 1980's. It saved me from the bleakness of depression mixed with anxiety. Two things: the young psychiatrist who first prescribed it told me most of his patients did not have to heed the dietary restrictions. Suggested that if I wanted I could try one ounce of any food/beverage on the list, then wait one half hour. If after that time I developed a (mild) headache at the base of my skull, I’d have to avoid item. Turns out I can eat or drink whatever I want. (I've read current information that shows the dietary restrictions have been exaggerated.) Secondly: Despite warnings that once you stop taking it, phenelzine will not prove effective should you begin taking it again in the future...I have gone for extended periods where I have NOT taken phenelzine, with no loss of effectiveness when I began taking it again. True for me, at least."

Misha May 16, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "1 week on Nardil up to 90Mg daily. Weight gain 10 lbs. Extreme stomach bloat looking like 8 months pregnant."

Navyman94 (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I was diagnosed with major depression in 2011. At one point, I was lying on the floor of my office in the fetal position. I clearly needed help. I already had a psychiatrist who had been treating me for anxiety. We switched over to addressing major depression as opposed to anxiety. 2011 was a horrible year as we looked for a medication to deal with my condition. After many discouraging trials, I was put onto Nardil. It worked!!! There is more to the story, but as has been reported by others, Nardil is literally a life saver."

Alfonzodecredenza (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 1, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "Was sailing along nicely on 90mg nardil 45mg twice daily for approximately 1 year after almost 30 years of on and off depression PTSD symptoms and then everything came to an abrupt halt ??? I don't know what happened. Have since tried Trinquilex, Wellbutrin, and TMS and unfortunately sad again a year older and feeling a bit hopeless. Going to ask provider to consider revisit Nardil for a home run before I reach 80 years of age with some enjoyment in this life I hope they best for all struggling with these issues"

Navyman94 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "Whilst hospitalized for MDD w/psychotic features, my docs were running out of SSRI’s (?) to try and one decided to try Nardil — although it’s not recommended for severe depression. Because I was hospitalized, the severe food restrictions when taking Nardil were handled by the dietary folks. My positive response came within a week. I wasn’t cured but I was more able to speak with others. Because I had a history of high blood pressure and heart disease my blood pressure was closely monitored. I was taken off of Nardil because my docs feared that I might have a fatal stroke. Pity, as Nardil was the only antidepressant medication that ever made me feel better."

amicable (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I have been taking nardil over 30yrs. It was a new lease on life no other antidepressants worked for me.the only,side effect,is weight gain.my doctor has lowered my dosage over the years from 15mg three times a day to two times a day. Watch out for hypotension, when first starting nardil and follow dietary restrictions. The only issue I had was the formulation was changed about 12 years ago, and new formulary does not work as well. I wish I could locate the old formulation."

Jl (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I’ve taken Nardil for over 40 years, it’s an excellent drug, the diet & med restrictions are well worth it... Be sure you carry your card or have a medical bracelet"

Wissie February 25, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "On 90mg (45mgX2 daily) for 2 years effectively reversed Depression. Cons weight gain 20lbs, inability to have orgasm. Weak erections."

Rallysport13 January 22, 2018

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I had been on this in 1982 for years , (it worked , but then no one wanted to prescribe it) . After many different SSRI combos and add ons ,and finally Bupropion , and even TMS nothing. Went back on 75mg of Nardil my whole attitude has changed, everyone at work has noticed. This should be treated as a drug of last resort though. There are over a 1000 drug interactions, not to mention the food issues"

GauGreg (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2017

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "Nardil is the only antidepressant that has worked for me. I️ have a bit of insomnia on it but at least I️ have motivation and don’t get upset with people like I️ used to."

Crawfish346 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 13, 2017

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I had been in and out of the hospital for many years, tried all classes of anti depressants and even several in different classes, BICYCLICS, TRICYCLICS, then most of the SSRI's. After continuing to get worse, my doctor and I decided to try ECT (shock treatment). I received 13 treatments (and no, it was nothing like One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest lol) but it also didn't help at all. Thirty years burning down the road, nowhere to run, got nowhere to go... he, as a last ditch effort, tried Nardil and to almost sound trite, I pulled a full 180 degree turn around. There were a few side-effects, some weight gain and a lessor libido and difficulty to orgasm, though if you knew me now, you'd know NONE of these side effects exist any longer!"

Glenn T. Kitchen (taken for 10 years or more) November 5, 2017

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I took nardil for 4 years. It changed my personality drastically. I went from depressed and withdrawn to hypomanic (which is like half way to fully manic). Much more sociable and I also became a workaholic. The side effects were intolerable - extreme weight gain (gained 50 lbs which brought me over 200 lbs. had never been overweight before or since) and anorgasmia. I did prefer hypomania to unipolar depression but eventually I pooped out on it as everyone seems to do in these designer ADs within a few years. There was a study which found that MAOIs like Nardil can permanently damage your mu receptors preventing you from having the capability to experience euphoria and that happened to me also. I wish I never taken any of those drugs."

xzardozx (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2017

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "I tried many medications and many combinations with little or no effect. As a last effort, I turned to the internet and stumbled across some positive info about Nardil. It took awhile to even find a doctor that would prescribe it. I have now been on 90 mgs for around four or five years and it works very well with few unwanted side effects. I take it in combination with 20mgs of Zyprexa for a very severe form of generalized anxiety that I have."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 6, 2017

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "Nardil is an amazing drug. I honestly do not know where I would be without it. I wish more doctors would be willing to prescribe it to people."

Cosis (taken for 10 years or more) April 9, 2017

Nardil (phenelzine) for Depression: "5 weeks after I started Nardil my life completely changed. After 15 years I could smile again. I have tried every drug under the sun for my depression and social anxiety (SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, APs, benzos, opiates) but nothing has worked until Nardil."

zeusovich (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2017