User Reviews for Opana ER to treat Pain

Opana ER has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 79 ratings for the treatment of Pain. 72% of those users who reviewed Opana ER reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Opana ER Rating Summary

7.7/10 average rating

Compare all 1431 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Opana ER

Uncle Sam leave me alone February 9, 2021

“I use to take methadone 10mg 5× day, worked perfect , $50 for 150. Although every medical care provider looks at you like you are a heroin addict. The government told my doctor no more methadone prescriptions or lose your license, what? Now on Opana 30 ER (oxymorphone) works great for me but 1400 dollars a script, why? Thanks uncle Sam.”

Rebel January 28, 2020

“After many trials of pain medication oxymorphone was prescribed. Finally relief. Now after years of being on this the pharmacist called me to tell me just two days before my refill it's being taken off the market. This was a huge branch pharmacy. I called another large chain store and was told the same thing. I have a message into my pain clinic but not looking forward to this change.”

Me · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 23, 2019

“I take opana ERfor spinal pain, post surgical pain, and other pain from a car wreck. Before this medicine was introduced I went from being on every pain killer Vic’s, percs, Norco, Avinza(which brought out rage in me.) then a doctor who was also a friend who cared about me recommended I tried opana of course starting at a relativity small dose and went up and since I found the right dose it’s been a god send. My pain is controlled all day for almost 10 hours. Other than dry mouth and peeing a lot it’s a great med. You may get dizzy or nauseous but usually that only happens if you don’t eat after you take it. Pain free is a great thing.”

JP, ER RN · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 7, 2012

“My doctor switched me from Oxycontin to Opana ER 40mg three times a daay when it first came out. I have had wonderful results with little to no decrease in mental ability which is important since I work as an ER RN. Since the outcome of the new crush proof formulation, though, I feel that the strength and effectiveness has decreased. I am glad they are making the formula abuse proof, but I don't think the patients who don't abuse the medication should suffer. I now have to take double the amount of pills as before!”

"Clyde" · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 30, 2014

“Back pain 7 yrs ... Spinal Stenosis and Degenerative Disc ... Once I was prescribed Opana ER I was also prescribed a companion breakthrough medicine taken 4 x daily, these have been rotated every few mos. Dr. started Opana 10 ER 2 x daily, then Opana ER 20 twice daily. I'm now on Opana ER 40mg twice daily. I'm seldom pain free but with Opana ER 40 and a breakthrough medicine I'm more comfortable. I can now stand and do tasks for short periods, then sit until the pain subsides. This method has allowed me to cook, do laundry, raise tomatoes, etc. I know that sounds limited but before I was pretty much chair bound. NOW FEEL I HAVE MY LIFE BACK. SEVERE CONSTIPATION only reaction but I've had that with every pain medicine prescription.”

Candyzumbagirl August 20, 2014

“My pain management Dr prescribed me this for my knee pain, which is excruciating. I have no cartilage in both knees. This medication allows me to live my life in a normal way. I dance Zumba everyday as well as do other cardio classes to stay fit. I NEVER take more than what my doctor prescribes. I've been taking it for two years and it's a Godsend for me. I've never had any side effects. I never drink alcohol and I watch my diet very closely. I rest well. Drink lots of water. Opana is a great medication. Of course, always do what your doctor says and take them EXACTLY how they were prescribed.”

Anonymous April 3, 2012

“When I first started taking Opana original formula I was overjoyed. Finally a medication that relieved my pain. Then the new formula came out and I literally cried. Why did you change a medication that worked so well? I realize that you're trying to make your medication abuse proof, but you did so at the expense of the legitimate Opana users who take the medication as prescribed. The new formula gives me no where near the relief of the old formula and it also takes twice as long to work. ”

StephanieAlice · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2014

“I think Opana ER is a GREAT pain medication. On a 1-10 pain scale, I went from a 6 with the MS-Contin to a 3 with the Opana. I get more done around the house (I can prep, cook, and clean, as I could only do 1 of those things continuously with the MS-Contin) so it does its job in that respect, but it has never lasted 12 hours. It seems to wear off in 8 hours on the dot. And when it wears off, you don't just hurt, you feel like total crap. Usually you don't feel like that as soon as a pain medication wears off but with this, you do. If I get my dosage raised to 3 instead of 2 a day so I don't have to go through the yucky stage, I can't help but wonder how I'm going to feel when I come off as I have only been on it for a month.”

Disabled 38 yr old · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2014

“I came to this site to see if I was only person who had some minor issues with this medication. I started Opana ER 10mg 4 days ago. I was to start it 9 days ago but my insurance initially wasn't going to cover the cost. My doctor filled out some forms and I am preapproved for a year. I find that the medicine is great for my pain but it does not last 12 hours, I have found that at 8 to 9 hours later I need another one. If prescribed 3's daily it would be a perfect medication and who knows maybe I wouldn't need my breakthrough medicine.”

JSTFNOFF March 14, 2013

“I was hurt on the job back in 2006.Had a disc removed and fusion of L4 and L5 in my lower back.I have suffered for years with chronic back and leg pain because of this injury.I was on 80 mg's of Percocet a day for 2 years and was taken off of it,cold turkey as they say,by my Dr. After 5 days of terrible withdrawl's,my Dr. put me on OPANA ER 10 mg tab's,twice a day.They helped me with my withdrawl symptoms but didn't do much for my pain. My Dr. agreed to up my dosage to 30 mg's,twice per day. WOW!!!! What a difference these 30 mg pills make.Pain is about a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 and I can finally sleep again. It is known that only 10 percent of your dose is actually absorbed by the body and the rest is eliminated when taken orally.”

kims46342 April 21, 2013

“I have tried many different medications for my back, I have deteriorating arthritis in my lower back along with curvature of the spine. I am currently on Opana ER 10 mg twice a day, and Norco 4 times a day for break through pain. When I get up in the morning I can hardly move, I take the Opana and within half an hour I can move better. I still have pain but not as intense as it was. It has helped a lot. I would not be able to afford this medicine without the coupon.”

CMEC March 17, 2008

“I was on the Fetanyl Patches 100 mg every 2 days. then my doc put me on opana 40, 3 times a day and I think they work just as good if not better. It didn't give me the anxiety or weird feelings I get off certain pain pills.”

finally October 24, 2008

“I have been in terrible lower back pain for over 2 years. After numerous MRI's and other tests and alot of different doctors, nothing showed up that should be causing that much pain. They did find a problem in my L1 disc but nothing major. I have a very high tolerence for pain and could barely function. All the different doctors put me on Vicodin 10/325 but it only worked for an hour. The doctors treated me as if I was a drug addict even my pain management doctor. After I took a so called routine drug test, my very next visit after she saw I passed my drug test she put me on Opana ER 20mg. Instantly my back pain was 90% gone. I don't feel high, just pain free. I forgot what that felt like. My pain level went from a 10 to a 3 instantly.”

naomi rc · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 25, 2014

“I have been on Opana ER for approximately 4 years. I have multiple conditions with the bones in my spine and both psoriatic and rheumatoid arthritis. Opana does not seem to help much with general arthritis pain and not at all the psoriatic arthritis, but it has been the most helpful medication for my back pain. unfortunately on Medicare I reached gap and at that time medication becomes way too expensive. I cannot endure this cost while I am on Medicare and now I have to switch medications. I go from paying $40 a month to $250. On Medicare you cannot use the discount cards for the program that Opana has. I am feeling very upset about this as the medication has been the most helpful to me without side effects. ”

austin75 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2015

“My doctor Currently has me on Opana ER 5mg every 12 hours and let me tell you it's a God send. I was taking 4 or 7 Norco 10mg a day every 4 hours because I was always in so much pain now since my doctor switched me from Norco to Opana ER the results have been amazing I no longer have pain constantly and whenever I walk a long way I still sometimes have pain but on a scale of 1-10 the pain is only a 2. I'm so thankful for this medicine because now I'm no longer in pain and another good thing about this medication is I don't have any side effects nor do I get that fuzzy feeling that other opioids give you . I highly recommend anyone who has chronic severe lower back pain to talk with your doctor about switching to Opana ER.”

Sizzlean March 22, 2014

“I had severe migraines up to 24 a month. My neurologist tried everything...including Botox to NO AVAIL. Next I developed neuropathic pain in my feet that traveled into my calves-extremely severe 99 per cent of my day! Between these two conditions I was at my wits end. Then my primary suggested Opana. The lesser dosages did nothing for me, when I reached Opana 40, MY life became more bearable. Hooray for Opana!”

AntiCoagulation · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 23, 2014

“I have needed to opiate meds to manage my pain control for many many years. I have a clotting disorder that had caused high levels of pain for my entire life. I can remember taking liquid TyCo at 9 or 10 prolly earlier.. Anyway, as a teen, I would use TyCo 3 or vicodin. It go to a point where I needed way too many to adequately control my pain. I was switched to OxyContin and had started taking 20mg 3 X day. Over 8 years, increased to 80mg X 2 day with OxyCodone for breakthrough. Eventually I was up to 100mg X 2 day. Changes in providers caused me to change from OxyContin to Opana ER. I have been started at 50mg X 2 day. It is just enough to help and take the edge off, but it is no where near as effective (for me) than OxyContin is”

Kasey Tyty August 11, 2016

“10 years pain sufferer. Opana ER was my Godsent.40mg,night and evening and only using percocet for breakthrough. Very rarely. I have a life back. I tried every medicine out there and never had this relief. Mind you been taking so long, no high effect, just pain control. Those looking for quick high, not for you. Time released. Sad to have to say that but great med when used for right reason”

katped June 26, 2014

“I've been on pain meds for 30 years. Changed to Opana ER 20 x 2. This made a large difference but still had breakthrough pain so DR added Opana IR 10mg. These I break up into thirds, halves, or quarters as needed. I couldn't use Norco because of breathing problems. This dosage isn't perfect but I'm no longer whining every time I get in or out of the car. 2 major surgeries coming over the summer. I hope Opana continues to work.”

Huskylover · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 20, 2016

“After being on 80 mg of OxyContin 3 times a day I wasn't getting the pain relief. I went thru breakthroughs and my insurance would only cover generic oxy. Saw a new pain doc and the nurse practitioner switched me to Opana, only 30 mg twice a day. My breakthrough meds stay locked up unless I'm doing something special. I always take Opana with food (instructions say take on an empty stomach) as I found taking taking it with food makes it last longer. Due to insurance I had to switch tot 15 mg, 2 tabs, twice a day. I found this give me some flexibility. If I'm having a tough day I may take one around 5 pm and then only one at bedtime. Medicare sucks though. I hit the gap about 6 months ago and found out I have to pay 4,800+ til it's done.”

JayTheJedi · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2016

“Let me start by saying this medication is awesome! I have MS, Chronic Pain Syndrome, Chronic Joint Pain, lipomas pain, degenerated disks and lots more and I have tried literally every ER pain med on the market and not one of them seem to do half as much as this medication. I take Dilaudid 8mg for breakthrough pain with it after a few hours and they both are like brother and sister, works so well together. Now the only thing with this medication is that it is very expensive as the brand but some places do carry it in generic. I end up paying $40 a month with insurance, without insurance its near $1200. Hopefully when I get on medicaid they will cover it but again it works (ER) wonders. If you can afford it give it a shot”

2old2tired · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 23, 2017

“Doesn't matter what any of us leave in a post as street drug addicts have made the FDA decide to pull our OPana ER. Because they melt it an shoot it up is how it was described to me as I was very upset! My question to FDA & the Government......WHAT ABOUT US PEOPLE THAT NEED IT AN USE IT AS TOLD? Very upset chronic back pain (scoliosis)...plus other issues.”

karenhp May 2, 2016

“Insurance required me to use Opana ER crush-resistant version! Takes about 2 hrs. to take effect so I take hydrocodone/acetaminophen 10/325 with 1 Opana upon waking and together they last about 8 hours NEVER 12 hours! then take 1 hydrocodone/acetaminophen about 4 pm then another hydrocodone/acetaminophen about 9 pm then 1 Opana at 11 pm. I tried using Opana alone but couldn't stand waiting IN PAIN for 2 hours before I could feel any relief! Regular Oxycontin DID provide 12 hour relief without needing any vicodin for "breakthrough pain" but even with insurance it would cost $100/month. Pain level with Opana AND vicodin still at about 5 but chronic pain after FIVE hip replacement surgeries - 2 on left hip, 3 on right, since 2008!!”

44 Dan · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2017

“I've been on Opioids (oxycodone mostly) since my accident in 1996. Approximately 24 months ago I was up to six 30mg Oxycodones daily. This allowed me to have some quality of life~Moderate physical activity.. Then my State took up the anti-oxycodone crusade. My Doctor has me trying everything except oxycodone or oxycontin - The goal is to get completely away from those two (due to pressure from the Government). My daily oxycodone is down to three 30mg plus three 30mg Opana ER (tamper proof). Right off the bat my pain went up. The Opana 30 ER has zero effect regarding pain management.The main side effect is nodding off. "Example* It has taken me 36 minutes to write this". Unless I am actively moving I nod off ~ I dare not drive. Pain 7-8 daily.”

Brd Man April 8, 2008

“I recently had a back operation and was put on Roxicodone and 20 mg Opana ER. It works very well in my opinion. I am able to move around more and not sleep all day due to pain, I would recommend it for anyone with chronic or severe pain.”

MarleysMama February 7, 2013

“I just started this medication a few days ago and I am on 10 mg twice per day..I would have to say it works very well on my neck and back pain and my nauseating migraines which all result from a car accident and I'm only 23 years old. I luckily have a very nice understanding doctor and know what I'm going through and he has never turned me down when I've needed an increase or change in meds.”

Shotale August 8, 2015

“I started this med after 8 yrs of methadone for chronic widespread pain. Was originally started out with a very low dose of 10mg 2X daily and it didn't seem to help at all. Was raised to 40 mg and for some strange reason after not feeling as though it was helping and going to 3X a day I was given the name brand instead of the genetic and within 24 hrs I noticed a measurable difference. Now my insurance won't pay for the name brand and although in the same dose, 40 mg 3X daily I feel like I've been given a placebo. The name brand works wonderfully as long as I take an instant release med with it but if I don't it is not effective enough to let me sleep without tossing and turning. I am taking a total of 120 mg per day.”

Dako April 17, 2008

“I have Degenerative Disks in L-1 thru L-4, with Herniation in L-4, L-5, and S-1. Also have nerve root damage, which causes pain radiating to my left hip, left leg, and bottom of feet. I take 2, Opana ER 20mg tablets a day. Opana ER works fairly well on controlling my back pain, while it's not eliminated totally, I'm able to function better on most days with the help of Lortab 10 mg for breakthrough pain along with my Opana ER. ”