User Reviews for Opana ER

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Opana ER.

Opana ER Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1812 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Opana ER to treat Pain

"I was on three 10mg ERs per day and it was wonderful. Low side effects, did not need to increase dose even after years. Now that they've pulled it, I've tried oxycontin (20mg twice/day) and then Exalgo (8mg once/day) and neither works as well as the Opana. I have lupus and OA (need joint replacement)."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doesn't matter what any of us leave in a post as street drug addicts have made the FDA decide to pull our OPana ER. Because they melt it an shoot it up is how it was described to me as I was very upset! My question to FDA & the Government......WHAT ABOUT US PEOPLE THAT NEED IT AN USE IT AS TOLD? Very upset chronic back pain (scoliosis)...plus other issues."

2old2tired (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe leg and back pain. I have had back and leg pain for quite a few years. In 2008 I fell 25 ft out of a deer stand which tore both rotor cuffs and elbow problems. After 9 operations and physical therapy I still have pain which includes back and leg problems. I started on opana ER and take morphine sulfate for break through. Opana has been a wonderful help which has helped me be able to function through the day with some normality which at one point I couldn't do. And now I hear it's going to be pulled off shelves and done away with. Very Disturbing."

Rudy Culler 803-997-2143 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I normally take generic opana (oxymorphone) 30mg and it works great for my pain. I can function good such as go to the store, light yard work, and enjoy family. But I recently got the Brand name opana (endo) and it is awful. I'm in so much pain and experiencing withdrawal symptoms. It's been 18 days and it is still like taking a Placebo. My breakthrough oxycodone 30mg is the only thing keeping me out of the hospital. I've been in bed 90% of the time since taking this Endo brand. I think it's the amount of additive in the medication. "

Lymepatient (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I switched to Opana ER this year as the Morphine ER I had been forced to take since last summer made me very nauseated (even w/nausea meds), caused terrible headaches and didn't cover my pain adequately so I could live some sort of life. I have loved the Opana ER. I take 40 mg twice a day and after the first month in which the switchover was difficult there have only been a few occasions where after I took the drug I started going through withdrawal. I'm not sure what was wrong with the pills as I set an alarm to take them and confirmed I took them. Now am in donut hole. Endo pharm won't help because there is a generic which costs more than the Opana. Don't know what to do."

Melodyblue (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My insurance co would not fill a rx for oxycontin until I have tried opana & a couple of others I've never heard of. I was in a near fatal auto accident younger, I need a knee & hip replacement, breast cancer at end of 2013 & have had terrible time with infections, causing more surgeries. I lay in bed usually 16 hrs a day (including sleep) because I hurt all over & even more w/ house or yard chores . I'm allergic to morphine, codeine, delaudid, Fentanyl, CT scan dye - I can take only Demerol after surgery. At home the only med that I am not allergic to is oxycontin & ultram. I am now trying opana, because of my insurance company. I'm supposed to take 1 -20mg 2x/day. I am very disappointed. What little relief in gave me was only for about 2 hrs."

Meg in Texas February 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Opioids (oxycodone mostly) since my accident in 1996. Approximately 24 months ago I was up to six 30mg Oxycodones daily. This allowed me to have some quality of life~Moderate physical activity.. Then my State took up the anti-oxycodone crusade. My Doctor has me trying everything except oxycodone or oxycontin - The goal is to get completely away from those two (due to pressure from the Government). My daily oxycodone is down to three 30mg plus three 30mg Opana ER (tamper proof). Right off the bat my pain went up. The Opana 30 ER has zero effect regarding pain management.The main side effect is nodding off. "Example* It has taken me 36 minutes to write this". Unless I am actively moving I nod off ~ I dare not drive. Pain 7-8 daily."

44 Dan (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"my bottom spinal disks are crooked and rest on my nerves between them. I was on 60mg of Morphine Sulfate Er. and took it for years and asked my Dr. for an increase and he switched me to Opana 20mg Er pills and they helped my back pain and seem to last a little longer between dosage. I am prescribed it twice a day. I seem to have less tiredness than the morphine and I am prescribed 5mg of oxycodone for morning breakthrough pain. Due to my liver condition he won't increase the oxycodone because it makes the liver turn it into morphine to filter it. when I need an increase of the Opana I'm sure he'll give me that because it's a form of morphine and my liver can process it okay. So I hope this helps other people with my condition or similar."

i have lower lumbar pain (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from chronic neck/upper back pain due to spinal stenosis; spinal spondylosis; cervical neuralgia, etc. I've had multiple anterior and posterior fusions (c5-c/7) and revisions due to pseudoarthrosis (non-fusion). I've been on opioids for 7 years. Due to insurance coverage, my pain doc switched me from kadian (10mg 2x/day) to Opana ER (5mg 2x/day) and I immediately experienced a HUGE increase in pain. I also take Percocet (10/325) for breakthrough pain. I experienced minor withdrawal symptoms, which I thought was odd since I was actually taking slightly more morphine daily. My pain doc explained it was due to how the body metabolizes kadian. Opana did nothing for me."

sas1217 January 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and have been on 3 or 4 pain relievers since 2008. I am now on 10mg IR x 3 daily and 30mg ER x 3 daily. I am getting very little relief; however, I have read many reviews where people taking Opana praise the medication. On the pain scale level, I am generally at 7-8 w/o the medicine and 5 or 6 with the Opana. I guess I need to talk to my provider and see if there are some different options..."

odawg444 December 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"10 years pain sufferer. Opana ER was my Godsent.40mg,night and evening and only using percocet for breakthrough. Very rarely. I have a life back. I tried every medicine out there and never had this relief. Mind you been taking so long, no high effect, just pain control. Those looking for quick high, not for you. Time released. Sad to have to say that but great med when used for right reason"

Kasey Tyty August 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Insurance required me to use Opana ER crush-resistant version! Takes about 2 hrs. to take effect so I take hydrocodone/acetaminophen 10/325 with 1 Opana upon waking and together they last about 8 hours NEVER 12 hours! then take 1 hydrocodone/acetaminophen about 4 pm then another hydrocodone/acetaminophen about 9 pm then 1 Opana at 11 pm. I tried using Opana alone but couldn't stand waiting IN PAIN for 2 hours before I could feel any relief! Regular Oxycontin DID provide 12 hour relief without needing any vicodin for "breakthrough pain" but even with insurance it would cost $100/month. Pain level with Opana AND vicodin still at about 5 but chronic pain after FIVE hip replacement surgeries - 2 on left hip, 3 on right, since 2008!!"

karenhp May 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After being on 80 mg of OxyContin 3 times a day I wasn't getting the pain relief. I went thru breakthroughs and my insurance would only cover generic oxy. Saw a new pain doc and the nurse practitioner switched me to Opana, only 30 mg twice a day. My breakthrough meds stay locked up unless I'm doing something special. I always take Opana with food (instructions say take on an empty stomach) as I found taking taking it with food makes it last longer. Due to insurance I had to switch tot 15 mg, 2 tabs, twice a day. I found this give me some flexibility. If I'm having a tough day I may take one around 5 pm and then only one at bedtime. Medicare sucks though. I hit the gap about 6 months ago and found out I have to pay 4,800+ til it's done."

Huskylover (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2016

"neuropathy"

bzzzaaabbb (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This prescription is extremely expensive, with my insurance its $291.00, my Doc gave me a discount card and the pharmacist still said the cost would be $291.00. What's the purpose of the discount card. Can anyone help me with any information on how I can reduce the cost of this prescription ?"

Stread313 (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Let me start by saying this medication is awesome! I have MS, Chronic Pain Syndrome, Chronic Joint Pain, lipomas pain, degenerated disks and lots more and I have tried literally every ER pain med on the market and not one of them seem to do half as much as this medication. I take Dilaudid 8mg for breakthrough pain with it after a few hours and they both are like brother and sister, works so well together. Now the only thing with this medication is that it is very expensive as the brand but some places do carry it in generic. I end up paying $40 a month with insurance, without insurance its near $1200. Hopefully when I get on medicaid they will cover it but again it works (ER) wonders. If you can afford it give it a shot"

JayTheJedi (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just began this drug yesterday, and considering that I have been under pain management for well over 10 years with oxycodone and oxycontin? I am having a VERY difficult time with the side effects of this medication. I will be reporting this to my Dr. IMMEDIATELY today, when his office opens. I have been unable to sleep the entire night, and have ONLY had 2 pills 12 hrs apart! I am going to ER as I cannot continue feeling this way..."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this med after 8 yrs of methadone for chronic widespread pain. Was originally started out with a very low dose of 10mg 2X daily and it didn't seem to help at all. Was raised to 40 mg and for some strange reason after not feeling as though it was helping and going to 3X a day I was given the name brand instead of the genetic and within 24 hrs I noticed a measurable difference. Now my insurance won't pay for the name brand and although in the same dose, 40 mg 3X daily I feel like I've been given a placebo. The name brand works wonderfully as long as I take an instant release med with it but if I don't it is not effective enough to let me sleep without tossing and turning. I am taking a total of 120 mg per day."

Shotale August 8, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was very disappointed with the opana 10E round peach pill. They did not help my pain at all. I have taken a 40 mg. before and they worked wonders. I took over my doctors dosage instructions after a while because it was not helping and I was in so much pain after my surgery. I ended up taking 5 within an hour and was still in pain and sick as a dog. So I just stopped taking them all together as they are very addictive and did NOT wont any addictions especially sense they were useless. Very DISAPPOINTED!"

BlakeNAlan (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor Currently has me on Opana ER 5mg every 12 hours and let me tell you it's a God send. I was taking 4 or 7 Norco 10mg a day every 4 hours because I was always in so much pain now since my doctor switched me from Norco to Opana ER the results have been amazing I no longer have pain constantly and whenever I walk a long way I still sometimes have pain but on a scale of 1-10 the pain is only a 2. I'm so thankful for this medicine because now I'm no longer in pain and another good thing about this medication is I don't have any side effects nor do I get that fuzzy feeling that other opioids give you . I highly recommend anyone who has chronic severe lower back pain to talk with your doctor about switching to Opana ER."

austin75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I find this Medication very difficult to rate due to the fact that Effectiveness is not able to be judged until you have established a therapeutic level which can ultimately take as long as a week or so! I am not sure if I am being titrated properly or not. I suffer with an extremely severe case of Rheumatoid Arthritis and with that said anyone who shares the same diagnosis will agree that "No Medication no matter in what amount can bring you even 75% relief''. I am taking 1 10mg. Opana ER 3 times a day! It is my understanding that 2 per day is the normal dosage however through a mixup at an appointment with my Pain Mgmt. Clinic I saw a different Practicioner and she messed up my original regiment of 2 30mg. I am on the fence w/this Drug!"

slloyd123z May 23, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have needed to opiate meds to manage my pain control for many many years. I have a clotting disorder that had caused high levels of pain for my entire life. I can remember taking liquid TyCo at 9 or 10 prolly earlier.. Anyway, as a teen, I would use TyCo 3 or vicodin. It go to a point where I needed way too many to adequately control my pain. I was switched to OxyContin and had started taking 20mg 3 X day. Over 8 years, increased to 80mg X 2 day with OxyCodone for breakthrough. Eventually I was up to 100mg X 2 day. Changes in providers caused me to change from OxyContin to Opana ER. I have been started at 50mg X 2 day. It is just enough to help and take the edge off, but it is no where near as effective (for me) than OxyContin is"

AntiCoagulation (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My pain management Dr prescribed me this for my knee pain, which is excruciating. I have no cartilage in both knees. This medication allows me to live my life in a normal way. I dance Zumba everyday as well as do other cardio classes to stay fit. I NEVER take more than what my doctor prescribes. I've been taking it for two years and it's a Godsend for me. I've never had any side effects. I never drink alcohol and I watch my diet very closely. I rest well. Drink lots of water. Opana is a great medication. Of course, always do what your doctor says and take them EXACTLY how they were prescribed."

Candyzumbagirl August 20, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Back pain 7 yrs ... Spinal Stenosis and Degenerative Disc ... Once I was prescribed Opana ER I was also prescribed a companion breakthrough medicine taken 4 x daily, these have been rotated every few mos. Dr. started Opana 10 ER 2 x daily, then Opana ER 20 twice daily. I'm now on Opana ER 40mg twice daily. I'm seldom pain free but with Opana ER 40 and a breakthrough medicine I'm more comfortable. I can now stand and do tasks for short periods, then sit until the pain subsides. This method has allowed me to cook, do laundry, raise tomatoes, etc. I know that sounds limited but before I was pretty much chair bound. NOW FEEL I HAVE MY LIFE BACK. SEVERE CONSTIPATION only reaction but I've had that with every pain medicine prescription."

"Clyde" (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on pain meds for 30 years. Changed to Opana ER 20 x 2. This made a large difference but still had breakthrough pain so DR added Opana IR 10mg. These I break up into thirds, halves, or quarters as needed. I couldn't use Norco because of breathing problems. This dosage isn't perfect but I'm no longer whining every time I get in or out of the car. 2 major surgeries coming over the summer. I hope Opana continues to work."

katped June 26, 2014