User Reviews for Paregoric to treat Diarrhea

Paregoric has an average rating of 9.7 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Diarrhea. 90% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Paregoric Rating Summary

9.7/10 average rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Diarrhea.

Reviews for Paregoric

Need to Survive September 23, 2010

“I am a 35 year old woman who has tried hundreds of medications to help my chronic diarrhea. I have had multiple diagnosis depending upon the doctor I saw. They ranged from Crohn's, ulcerative Colitis, to Inflammatory Bowel Disease, to severe Irritable bowel syndrome, etc. I have been tested for everything. The only medication that has given me any relief and allows me work and keep going on with my daily activities is Paregoric. If this medication at some point goes off the market, my only alternative will be to file for medical disability and be a shut in. It is very scary and sad for me to that this may happen. This medication has given me the quality of life I need, to keep going everyday. ”

Invested Party June 14, 2020

“Growing up, always had a bottle of Paregoric on hand for painful intestinal cramping, 1 teaspoon provided instant relief. Didn’t use it often, 1 bottle lasted years, so there was no “addiction” or “abuse” going on. My Dad held a prescription almost his entire life until he couldn’t get it anymore (manufacturer was forced to cease distribution by new FDA approval requirements in 2010.) In 2018, I had to undergo radiation for Uterine Cancer and knew it could cause intestinal damage. Radiologist gave me a prescription, but it cost $250, way too much. Why it’s so difficult/expensive to get is perplexing. It’s no more addictive than other “substances” (codeine, oxy, alcohol, food, sex, gambling) so why target Paregoric for market restriction? It’s effective medicine that should be available & affordable to those who need it. Loperamide pales in comparison for the true sufferer.”

Anonymous October 27, 2011

“I have been taking Paregoric for more than half my life. I have seen many doctors and tried many different medicines and this is the only medicine that relives my diarrhea problem. My mother had the same problem and almost never went out and became a shut-in. If she had to go out she stopped eating for several days before so there would be nothing to come out and sometimes she still had accidents of large amounts of brown liquid coming out without time to get to a bathroom. This has happened to me twice and know I don't go anywhere without my small bottle of Paregoric because it works so fast. ”

Anonymous October 10, 2010

“Paregoric is the only medicine that will have any effect on my diarrhea caused by surgically induced Short Bowel Syndrome. To stop being housebound, I have to have it. Without it I can have no normal life. ”

Markjdunn June 7, 2011

“I have been to many Doctors and with many tests to find out nothing. Tried many types of medicines the only thing that works for me is Paregoric. I don't need much only two spoons a day and it let's me work. Without it I can be in the bathroom up to 16 times a day. Before my Dr. put me on this I had lost 30 lbs. I am not looking forward to the day when I run out.”

Col-rectel Cancer problems · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 19, 2017

“After having gastric bypass in 2001 I found out I had col-rectal cancer in 06/2016. The surgery took most of my rectum and a good section of colon. I started with a illestomy bag for the bowels to empty into. The doctors had to reverse it because I kept getting infections where it glued to my belly. After having the reversal it left me with chronic diarrhea. I take 8 lomotil, 8 Immodium, 4 fiber containing tablets and 4 doses of opium tincture and 2 questran packets everyday. I still have "accidents" from time to time but without this I would be confined to my house at 53 years old.”

kB January 25, 2020

“Best medicine. Take as directed and it works without making you loopy. Only problem is manufacturer has supply chain disruptions. There should be another company making this so patients could get their medication.”

Just me · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 9, 2020

“I have been like this all my life with tummy problems, nervous stomach, IBS, crohn's and many more , it wasn’t until about 10 years ago that my doctor prescribed Paregoric, it works great to stop the severe pain I feel in my abdomen, all with the discomfort from lose bowels. They have taken this off the market and now I have to put up with all the severe pain that goes along with this disease. Please put it back on the market!!!! I have severe drug allergies, this medication had not side effects for me.”

IBS patient · Taken for 10 years or more October 4, 2015

“the only manufacturer of this is not currently shipping the drug although their customer service says they will at some unspecified date. All customers should contact them, and ask them to prioritize putting this prescription back in the supply chain so those of us who rely on it can leave the house without fear of an "accident".”

Nightwinds-Patricia January 12, 2016

“Paregoric is a wonderful medication. Not sure if I have Crohn's disease or IBS but when having a flare it is the best thing I have found. As a child I was given a medication with paregoric in it and it always worked and made me feel better. I hate the fact that medications are so abused that the government feels the need to take it off the shelf. I have not been able to get a prescription for more than 5 years.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more July 21, 2021

“I have short bowel syndrome resulting from surgery to release a small intestine volvulus, resulting in the loss of 3 and1/2 feet of small intestine plus the terminal ileum. A very small amount of Paregoric mixed in water prevents multiple diarrhea episodes. Other medications do not work. The Paregoric works almost immediately. Naturally thin and now in my 70's, I cannot afford to lose weight. The last time I got a "script" filled was at a CVS/Target pharmacy in June 2020. Compounding pharmacies no longer offer it either.”

Anonymous February 2, 2010

“This medicine tastes awful.”

More about Paregoric (opium)

Professional resources