User Reviews for Paregoric

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Paregoric.

Paregoric Rating Summary

9.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 143 medications used in the treatment of Diarrhea.

Reviews for Paregoric to treat Diarrhea

"After having gastric bypass in 2001 I found out I had col-rectal cancer in 06/2016. The surgery took most of my rectum and a good section of colon. I started with a illestomy bag for the bowels to empty into. The doctors had to reverse it because I kept getting infections where it glued to my belly. After having the reversal it left me with chronic diarrhea. I take 8 lomotil, 8 Immodium, 4 fiber containing tablets and 4 doses of opium tincture and 2 questran packets everyday. I still have "accidents" from time to time but without this I would be confined to my house at 53 years old."

Col-rectel Cancer problems (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Paregoric is a wonderful medication. Not sure if I have Crohn's disease or IBS but when having a flare it is the best thing I have found. As a child I was given a medication with paregoric in it and it always worked and made me feel better. I hate the fact that medications are so abused that the government feels the need to take it off the shelf. I have not been able to get a prescription for more than 5 years."

Nightwinds-Patricia January 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"the only manufacturer of this is not currently shipping the drug although their customer service says they will at some unspecified date. All customers should contact them, and ask them to prioritize putting this prescription back in the supply chain so those of us who rely on it can leave the house without fear of an "accident"."

IBS patient (taken for 10 years or more) October 4, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Paregoric for more than half my life. I have seen many doctors and tried many different medicines and this is the only medicine that relives my diarrhea problem. My mother had the same problem and almost never went out and became a shut-in. If she had to go out she stopped eating for several days before so there would be nothing to come out and sometimes she still had accidents of large amounts of brown liquid coming out without time to get to a bathroom. This has happened to me twice and know I don't go anywhere without my small bottle of Paregoric because it works so fast. "

Anonymous October 27, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been to many Doctors and with many tests to find out nothing. Tried many types of medicines the only thing that works for me is Paregoric. I don't need much only two spoons a day and it let's me work. Without it I can be in the bathroom up to 16 times a day. Before my Dr. put me on this I had lost 30 lbs. I am not looking forward to the day when I run out."

Markjdunn June 7, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Paregoric is the only medicine that will have any effect on my diarrhea caused by surgically induced Short Bowel Syndrome. To stop being housebound, I have to have it. Without it I can have no normal life. "

Anonymous October 10, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 35 year old woman who has tried hundreds of medications to help my chronic diarrhea. I have had multiple diagnosis depending upon the doctor I saw. They ranged from Crohn's, ulcerative Colitis, to Inflammatory Bowel Disease, to severe Irritable bowel syndrome, etc. I have been tested for everything. The only medication that has given me any relief and allows me work and keep going on with my daily activities is Paregoric. If this medication at some point goes off the market, my only alternative will be to file for medical disability and be a shut in. It is very scary and sad for me to that this may happen. This medication has given me the quality of life I need, to keep going everyday. "

Need to Survive September 23, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine tastes awful."

Anonymous February 2, 2010