User Reviews for Omalizumab

Also known as: Xolair

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Omalizumab.

Urticaria
8.2

Asthma, Maintenance

Summary of Omalizumab reviews 8.1 114 reviews

Reviews for Omalizumab

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have been suffering from horrible hives all over my body since June 2017. I took my first Xolair shot 12/8/17 and my hives have gotten worse. I was told by allergy office that I have to get 2 more shots before they consider Xolair to be ineffective. I just hope that I can afford the next 2 shots. No drug should cost this much. Especially if it isn't working!"

Fraudbustinburns December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have been on this drug for 6 months and I must be in that % that is doesn't work well for. I honestly feel like a guinea pig and I am going to stop taking this medicine. For all who take it and it work, I am happy for you."

Neicie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I am beyond disappointed that Xolair had no effect on my chronic uticaria. For 18 years I have suffered with the disabling disease. My hives are so bad, I can not even wear clothes, because anything touching my skin causes unbearable pain, swelling, redness and my eyes become bloodshot/swollen and puss comes out of them. I also have full blown Lupus and I am Human leukocyte antigen (HLA) B27 positive (Hl1-B7 positive). My life is completely ruined and over. Can't work, have zero support from anyone, live in poverty (than you SSD), lost my home.... horrible situation. Xolair did nothing. Not one thing! Pain, redness, swelling, itching still there after 2 months with two treatments of two shots a month. Beyond depressed. It is hard to live like this."

Chrisnyc123 November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I am 52 yrs old. On xolair for 3 yrs. I get 2 injections every 4 wks. The shot is painful because the medicine is thick, but having the shot injected at the back of my arm has helped. I've had hives since I was 17. I've been on most of all kinds of allergy medicines. I was on benedryl before it was OTC. I've had lips and eyes swell to beyond recognitions. I've had swollen hands and feet and have waken up in the middle of the night with hives from head to foot. Prednisone was the only thing that has helped before xolair. Insurance companies are a pain though. I missed my last dose waiting on insurance who wants to make sure the other meds won't work. With the missed dose and the appearance of hives I think xolair works."

Vculpmorris November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "6 months 2 injections every 2 week. Sorry guys but no effect at all. Still on 20 mg of prednisone a day . I wish it had worked."

Roy H. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I was very hesitant to start this medication because of all the warnings I came across online. After 4 months on this medication I can honestly say it has 100% improved my life. I had hives and angio edema covering most of my body. The pain and hives would come and go and change from day to day but I was for the most part homebound because of it. I was taking Benadryl (like tic-tacs), Zyrtec, Singulair, Fatidomide and Prednisone for the really bad breakouts. Within the 1st week after the 1st shot saw significant improvement. Now I only have some breakouts right around the 28th or 29th day of the next shot that is due. I would highly recommend this medication for chronic urticaria."

Madesta November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have been getting 2 injections once a month for almost two years now. Before the doctor diagnosed me as having Chronic Urticaria with Angioedema, I went into anaphylactic shock 3 times in a month. Xolair has made a huge difference for me. I have not had any hives since I started getting Xolair injections. My big issue is my insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield of TN) requires me to go to a different office within a group in order for them to cover the cost of injections. Every time I have gone to this other office I end up with a hard spot at injection site with major bruising. It is very frustrating. Still outweighs the horrendous hives."

CMSTN (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I’m 21 and joined the clinic programme when I was 19/20. I was constantly in and out of Hospital with attacks. Since having this I rarely get admitted. I have four injections every two weeks! I always feel tired after treatment and need a good sleep! Other than that. Amazing drug"

Milly B (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have been receiving xolair injections for about a year and a half for chronic hives. It has gotten rid of it about 90 percent. Once in awhile I still need one or two 25mg benadryl tabs but overall it seems to be working. I get 150mg injections every 2 weeks. Only side effect is every time I get an injection, within a few days I get 1 hive about 5 inches below injection site. It itches and resembles a bug bite. I know it's from Xolair because I switch arms and it always happens on whichever arm. I have noticed fatigue and exhaustion but not sure that is Xolair related. Sometimes still get pressure hives from underwear where elastic hits but overall much better. Had an insurance problem missed a month hives returned but ok now."

itchy33 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have been xolair for two months. Wow, what a difference this has made. I would cough all day and used my inhalers more than directed. Now I don't cough much and don't wheeze. I use inhalers once a day now. Two weeks after the first shot I could tell a difference. This is a great drug. I do feel some tiredness with it but it is tolerable."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "At the age of 67 I developed allergic asthma after moving to SW Florida. I've had chronic sinusitis for years but controlled it with O/C medications. The multiple asthma attacks (with lack of breath) were daily. I had to use inhalers and a nebulizer. After 2 years of trying different medications the Allergist said "we're going to try Xolair." Used it for 6 months and no change. Have now been changed to Nucala. Too early to tell its effects. An inhaler called QVAR seems to be keeping me in good health until the Nucala does its job."

70inFL (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria: "I have had chronic hives/urticaria since 11/30/16. I have gone to the ER 6 times with my throat closing. My meds: AM 10 mg prednisone - 20 mg if a flare Claritin Zantac 150g Allegra PM Claritin Benadryl and hydroxyine as needed. I started Xolair in June, Just had my 4th shot last Tuesday. Things are getting better, but if I don't take the prednisone, it flares up. I need to get off of this prednisone now! I have gained 50 lbs since November 2016!"

Dr.Kim August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I had 1 injection less than a month ago and recently started having the following symptoms: intense fatigue herpes outbreak painful joints in hands and knees neck pain cough sore throat depression"

J Judd August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria: "I have had one shot and the hives went away. However, one month after my first shot, I have felt like I have had a chronic cold with extreme fatigue and joints ache. Now I have to figure out if I want to deal with the hives every day or these side effects."

Jewli J (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have had asthma all my life. As I got older it has worsened. I was continuously on steroids. I'm 1 1/2 years post op of my Bronchial Thermoplasty (BT) procedures. I receive Xolair once a month. To be honest it was the best decision I've made. My asthma has remarkably improved and I'm living a life I thought I'd never have. I went dancing and I actually stayed up on the dance floor waiting for the next song. I'm able to go motorcycling and not worry how long I can stay out if I'm going to get winded, where I'm in need of a nebulizer treatment. I'm fully aware I still have asthma, where I go my rescue inhalers and my EpiPen go with me. I'm now enjoying my life thanks to BT and XOLAIR."

Harley Girl from Indiana (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I can't really rate the drug itself, since I've never taken it. I don't even meet the criteria to be on it, that of the maker or of my insurance. But, the pulmonologist was pushing me to get on it. He called me on the phone, but only told me the name, and that the insurance would cover it. I looked it up, I've only been in the hospital once for asthma, for 2 days, in my life (at 60), no ER trips for it for years, not on ICS because I can't use them due to severe side effects in me. I told him he must be thinking of another patient. Then he tried using the result of the IgE test, and fact I have pets, which I don't even react to. He exaggerated everything about my history. Some sort of Kickback is all I can figure, here. "

Wendy in IL July 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria: "This is the 4 episode of my life of chronic hives/ angioedema. By far the worst.so far 8 weeks. Taking Cyclosprine( worked in the past episodes) and max dose Zyrtec, Allegra plus Ranitidine, as needed Benadryl. Multiple prednisone courses and steroid shots. 1st Xolair injection 8 days ago. So far not effective. Hives remain daily 60-80% of body and itching with episodes of Angioedema. Lack of empathy from medical providers astounding. Wish someone could assure me subsequent injections may bring some relief"

Silverkmamom (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance: "It is truly amazing"

Kaffy July 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I'm taking Xolair for Idiopathic Chronic Urticaria (UCI) after a few years of random allergic reactions (unknown origin) despite 3+ years of allergy shots. My allergist & I have never been able to identify the cause. He recommended Xolair because I have severe asthma as well (allergic, exercise induced and environmental) which was not responding well to 3 inhalers, Prednisone, nebulizer treatments (multiple types), allergy meds/shots, etc. Since starting Xolair over 2 years ago, my UCI has virtually disappeared and my asthma is dramatically better. I can actually go weeks without using Spireva, Dulera, Qvar, albuterol, etc. "

MrsSushi (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I've had hives off and on since 2002. I am 52 years old and I've been diagnosed with Hashimotos and Lupus. I was tired of hive breakouts and constantly taking benedryl. So I decided to start taking xolair. Within a half hour after shot my hands got red and itchy. I told nurse. She seemed unconcerned. Got very tired went home and slept half a day! That night got three hives on leg and arm. Next morning I was achy all over and got dizzy with a headache. I report I also got some chest heaviness. I called doctors and he said it was not from xolair. I can stop benedryl but wants me to continue shots. So far I can't stop benedryl because Im still itchy! I don't know if I should get next dose because I don't want worse side effects.Want to eat again"

nanway (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "Chronic hives for 1 year - took all the antihistimines and prednisone. The only thing that kicked the hives was prednosolone pack that I recently took after the Xolair shot did not work. I have had 8 Xolair shots (monthly injections) and at first they were very effective. After the 6th one, I had recurring hives and angiodema return so I am back on large dose of allertec and nightly taking hydroxyzine. Xolair seems to help with the size of hives and the amount when breaking out. Weight gain is definitely noticed but due to prednisone prior to the shot, I can't be certain it is all due to Xolair. Will continue on Xolair and perhaps look at Kenalog shot."

Long suffering June 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "It opens your airways"

Stacey opens (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria: "Xolair has cured my chronic idiopathic urticaria (CIU). No Break through hives while I've been on xolair now. Since the first treatment. I got no side effects and the hives stopped coming back. If i push my injection far out beyond monthly injections. I have so far not had reoccuring attacks. Worst case scenario I began to feel a little itchy like I almost "felt" like it was time for my injection. It has been a year and it is not cheap. Insurance is only 50% and the pharmacy prices are outrageous. I only afford this medication through a foundation to cope with costs. The doctor is discussing spreading it out further so I could possibly go longer between doses. I am keeping a positive outlook. But fear going off Xolair only to get back on it when it come back. It works"

TiffanyJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I am glad to see that so many people had a positive experience with Xolair on this review page, I hope these reviews are real. I was fine on Xolair for about a year, although I will say I did not notice too much difference. In fairness, my asthma was relatively under control at the time with a daily steroid (Symbicort). One day after a shot, I experienced what can only be described as the most ridiculous sounding symptom on the Xolair box, feelings of impending doom. This was 3 years ago and I have suffered from severe anxiety ever since. My life, including my marriage, has been drastically affected by Xolair. PLEASE use caution before taking this and more importantly before letting your children take it."

Ben7781 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria: "This is the best thing to help my CIU! I had to leave my last year of highschool because my hives would cause my lips and eyes to swell up every day for 7 months and nothing seemed to help. We went to a doctor that recommended Xolair and I started getting the shot monthly. I was devastated because the first three months of being on the shot nothing happened, it cleared them up a little bit, but not to where I was happy and feeling any better. My fourth shot of Xolair was like a miracle, I woke up the next morning and there was 0 hives. I've been on the shot for 7 months now and have been hive free for 3 months straight, the only time they come back is when I'm more then a week late for my next shot. It's amazing, it gave me my life back."

KatNich (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2017