User Reviews for Omalizumab

Also known as: Xolair

Learn more about Omalizumab.

Asthma, Maintenance 32 reviews 116 medications

8.8
Urticaria 44 reviews 188 medications

8.6
Summary of Omalizumab reviews 76 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Omalizumab

For Urticaria: "I started by waking up in February 2016 with head to toe hives which remained until today, still have hive breakouts and random angioedema spells. I get a shot a month but I still have to take prednisone daily. I've been on prednisone since February 2016 I've lost so much hair and gained 45lbs. I hate waking up still. I've been getting xolair for 6 months, it takes the edge off but not enough. Miserable in Georgia."

Elambie December 2, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "Im 58 and female. After a hive free life I left my home in the S J Valley where the air is terrible (pollen and allergens are bad) to go to Hungary. I had no problem there but soon as I got back I had lost all immunity to the valley and hives came. After 9 mnths of hives, huge and tiny, itching, burning swelling hands, bottom of feet itch and swell, 2 trips to ER for anaphylactic shock, epi pen, prednisone, Benedryl, 2 Kenelog shots, Singulair, Zantac, Xyzol, Zyrtec and Xanax, after much research, I found Xolair is the only med approved for hives.I FINALLY got started.I am getting 150mg every 2 weeks rather than 300mg p/mo. It seems slow but gradually better. Still get rash, hives shrunk size and amount, only need 2 pills/not 12. Hopeful.."

Moogybutch November 3, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I developed hives and unknown swelling since I was 18. My life was miserable. I was always in the hospital I hated it sooo much. I was so depressed all the time. I felt like I wasn't living. Xolar really gave me my life back. I have been in it for 5 months so far so good :) I Wish I could hug who ever made this drug!!!"

Tres_cee October 31, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "Had gives for 4 1/2 years. Multiple doctors and medications, this is the only one that worked and gave me my life back. The side effects( hard time losing weight) are worth not being covered in thousands of hives."

Sharkie23 October 15, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I suffered from UCI for close to a year. Non stop hives with no relief other than steroids. After many allergists one finally suggested xolair. It was covered by my insurance (BCBS). I had 3 shots, 1x per month for 3 months. It's been a year with no issues and I no longer need Xolair. Thank You to the prople who created Xolair. It changed my life!!"

pfboivin October 11, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have been taking xolair for 5 years now. It is an amazing medicine. I only have one fully developed lung so I had asthma pretty bad. I am also allergic to elm trees so I would get hives and itching alot when I was outside. No more trips to er anymore and I can go outside and not have to wear jackets in summer due to the trees giving me hives. I have had no side effects so far. All I know is this drug works for me. It has changed my life."

Rebecca M (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 5, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "Xolair shots are a life saver! I was completely covered in hives for months and tried every medication possible while still trying to attempt college. I was failing classes and hated life, I was absolutely miserable. My doctor suggested Xolair, but after seeing the price I knew there was no way. However my doctor got my connected to sign up for the pay assistance. Although they are high of cost, they are extremely worth it. I get two shots a month, and it took about 2 months for any difference and than about 4 until i was completely hive free but i have now been hive free since than! I can never thank the Xolair creator enough!"

Minnesota9 September 29, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have been battling with hives on and off for almost 15 years. I went to see my local allergist and he said if antihistamines are not working, change your lifestyle such as diet, hair products etc. I gave hope and one day I started looking again as my hives were out of control. Got a second opinion from another allergist and he put me on Xolair. I have received my first shot last week and I haven't had any hives since then. My face is clear and knock on wood hope it stays this way. Such a relief. If you have tried everything and nothing has worked which was my situation, give xolair a shot. Its expensive if you don't have insurance but if you do have insurance, I would suggest giving a try."

Amitesh September 16, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "Awful...was on it for 3 months made my asthma worse...I think if your ige levels are lower than 700 than maybe it could work, but for me mine were so high it didnt. Luckily I didn't have enough to pay buy it cost 10k a mo and I had to spend every other week at the dr"

Hnb (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I had tried everything. I had been on steroids 15 times in one year. I had been taken from work twice by ambulance from asthma attacks. Hospitalized from asthma attacks. Nothing was working. I couldn't do anything. I could hardly be outside at all. I couldn't go to my grandson's baseball games or anything. Depression was getting worse all the time. Since I started on Zolair I have not been on steroids,no trips to hospital and I went to every single baseball game of my grandson( even double headers). This has been life changing. I would love to tell everyone!!!"

Vickie Hardesty August 9, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I began to experience hives and angieodema really really bad. Every morning I would wake up my body would be covered. From head to toe. My face would be 10x it's normal size. It was devastating and painful to have your hands and feet swell due to hives covering them. My allergist placed me on prednisone but that is a very mean drug!!! I was on 3 antihistamines Allegra, Zrytec, and Singular. I was on 2% hydrocortisone and nothing helped!! Until my insurance approved Xolair. It literally changed my life!! After day 3 of my first injection hives disappeared!!! Only downfall was the horrible headaches and joint pain I experience after the injections. I also have fibromyalgia and it just intensifies the pain for a few days."

Eboni82 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "In early November 2015, I started breaking out in unexplained hives. It started with huge welts larger than my palm, and I'd get them all over my body, some small, some big. From my scalp to the bottom of my feet, welts have shown up, and my lips and fingers have swollen so badly. Zolair has made a marked difference for me. It hasn't completely cleared me up, but the amount of hives have dramatically decreased. I still get angioedema though, but I don't panic like when it first stared happening. I'm hoping as time goes on 1 - the hives will just go away completely (haha we all with for that, right?) and 2 - if the hives don't go away the shot will continue to lessen the severity of the breakouts."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2016

For Urticaria: "I've had chronic idiopathic urticaria since May of 2003. I'd get hives ALL OVER my body, every day, non-stop. After trying a whole slew of medicines, I wound up on a self implemented regiment of 30mg of loratadine (Claritin) twice daily (60mg total, 6x the daily dose). It worked okay and I was avoiding the steroids. Then I tried Xolair. I'm writing the review in the waiting room of my Doctor after having just received my 5th shot, (2 shots, 1x per month). The day after shot 1, I quit loratadine cold turkey. From day 1 until today (5 months), I haven't had one hive! This is a miracle drug for those suffering with CIU."

iSteve (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I'm on xolair for chronic idiopathic urticaria. This shot has changed my life ! I just had my 6th one today, I only get breakthrough hives about once a week and it's not very bad. My dermatographia and angioedema are completely gone. I've been able to get of most of my antihistamines and prednisone as well."

Merfle May 2, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "This has helped my allergies/eczema and asthma. My IEG was pretty high, basically too high to see a difference. I do 2 150 doses every two weeks. It has changed my life."

Clove10 April 4, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "February 2013 I woke up 6 days later in ICU and the nurse pulling a long tube out of my mouth (incubated). I lost 6 days of my life due to respiratory failure from an acute asthma attack. So here I am 3 years later have been on Xolair which has changed my world completely. I have not used my neubulizer machine and occasionally use my inhaler but I travel weekly for work. I am a 57 years of age, female and love animals and the outdoors. As far as side effects there are muscle pains but I would rather know that I can breathe and not be on steroids and other maintenance meds. My husbands peace of mind he makes sure that I do not miss injections. Make sure you check out all financial options for Xolair assistance."

Candyjo April 3, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have had hives since 1997 on a daily basis. I have tried every drug and combination there is. The only thing that ever worked was prednisone and we all know how hateful that stuff is. My doctor told me about Xolair a while back and we waited on my insurance to approve it. It has been the best thing that has happened to me. I started 1 1/2 years ago and havn't had a hive since my first injection. My injections were every 4 weeks for a year and now they are every 6 weeks. I do get all over muscle soreness for a week after injections but that goes away and its far better than having hives. I finally feel normal again!"

Gigi1114 March 19, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "This is my second time I have been on this medication. I was on it about 5 years ago for severe asthma and had to stop because of cost and insurance not covering it. I went from a 42% lung capacity to 65% in just about 6 months I felt great and over about 3 years I started to decline again. I started back thanks to better insurance and the co-pay assistance and feel a lot better. My lung capacity still is not great but I have gone from using my rescue inhaler several times a day to using it only about once every few weeks. So far I have been lucky enough to not have any side effects. I highly recommend it but be sure you get the co-pay assistance in place before starting it."

Robh80 March 16, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I've been in this injection since August 2014. It really has improved my quality of life. Before it, I was in and out of the doctors or ER every week. But now I rarely need to go because of this medication. I have tried so many different medicines and this is the only one that worked for me. It's scary when you see your lung function decreasing over time But xolair has given me hope. I get the shot every 2 weeks. Sometimes the side effects suck, muscle weakness and extreme fatigue but it's better then not breathing"

Jcoop (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2016

For Urticaria: "Hives out of no where 4 years ago. Severe angioedema as well. 6 antihistamines a day, prescriptions, Tagamet acupuncture etc etc etc....4 years of being covered in hives every single day. Gave up on medicine.... And then decided one more try. My immunologist said Xolair and I had my first shot exactly a week ago today and haven't had a hive for two days! I had just one or two for The first few days after the shot The shot did make me lethargic for a few days but that has passed"

Cas64 March 3, 2016

For Urticaria: "I am a 25 year old female who has battled chronic idiopathic urticaria since age 2. My hives come and go every few years sometimes 2years sometimes 3years. The older I have gotten the worse they are when they come back... Last batch lasting 7months. 7 full months of 24/7 full body hives. Throughout my course of treatment I have had steroids all the way to kidney rejection drugs. NOTHING WORKED!!!! When my doctor suggested we try xolair I was sceptical. I recieve 2 shots every 4wks. This medication has changed my life. Do I still get hives on occasion YES! But they are so frequent. Xolair is here to manage your condition not cure it. Good luck to all of you!"

DaniM417 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 29, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have had chronic hives every day all over my body since 1982. I went to many doctors and had all kinds of tests and no one could find out why. I researched the internet a few times a year to see if there was any new research done that would prove to be helpful. Last year I read about Xolair After a long discussion with my doctor, we decided to try Xolair injections. On the day of my first injection, I had a swollen hive 4" by 6" on my back that was very painful. After the shot, it started to shrink and I haven't had one single hive since then. I am thrilled. No side effects. My health insurance covers almost all of the cost. I am so thankful to finally be relieved of so many years of suffering!"

MarMar23 February 26, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I've been taking this injection monthly for 9 years and have been extremely happy with the way it's improved my quality of life. I use my rescue inhaler less and I need prednisone courses very infrequently. Although I try hard to be regimented about getting my shot, I forget to schedule the appt. and/or the delivery to my doctor's office. My body can tell when it's ready for the next one. I feel badly for the person who's posted with such hostility on here about it not working for him/her. It's a godsend for me and many other severe asthmatics."

Jim in NYC February 16, 2016

For Urticaria: "Xolair saved me from a miserable existence. I have been on it having monthly shots for over a year and a half. Takes 4 shots to work well and 6 for headaches to stop. Highly recommend. Hive free since 6th shot. Don't let headaches and pain discourage you."

JewelsColorado February 14, 2016

For Urticaria: "I am now 33 years old and have been on Xolair injections for 6 months. I get two 150mg shots (one in each arm) every 4 weeks. I lived with chronic hives with angioedema for 4 years. Took countless antihistamines that never helped and even done a course of a transplant drug they give organ transplant patients with the hopes of rebooting my immune system to no avail. I couldn't even walk on the beach without my feet swelling so much I couldn't stand on them. I have been hive and swelling free since the first dose of xolair and luckily my insurance covers the whole amount. I hope to continue to have great results with this injections."

Lynn610 February 13, 2016