User Reviews for Omalizumab

Also known as: Xolair

Learn more about Omalizumab.

Asthma, Maintenance 38 reviews 118 medications

8.6
Urticaria 56 reviews 188 medications

8.5
Summary of Omalizumab reviews 94 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Omalizumab

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "Chronic hives for 1 year - took all the antihistimines and prednisone. The only thing that kicked the hives was prednosolone pack that I recently took after the Xolair shot did not work. I have had 8 Xolair shots (monthly injections) and at first they were very effective. After the 6th one, I had recurring hives and angiodema return so I am back on large dose of allertec and nightly taking hydroxyzine. Xolair seems to help with the size of hives and the amount when breaking out. Weight gain is definitely noticed but due to prednisone prior to the shot, I can't be certain it is all due to Xolair. Will continue on Xolair and perhaps look at Kenalog shot."

Long suffering June 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "It opens your airways"

Stacey opens (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urticaria: "Xolair has cured my chronic idiopathic urticaria (CIU). No Break through hives while I've been on xolair now. Since the first treatment. I got no side effects and the hives stopped coming back. If i push my injection far out beyond monthly injections. I have so far not had reoccuring attacks. Worst case scenario I began to feel a little itchy like I almost "felt" like it was time for my injection. It has been a year and it is not cheap. Insurance is only 50% and the pharmacy prices are outrageous. I only afford this medication through a foundation to cope with costs. The doctor is discussing spreading it out further so I could possibly go longer between doses. I am keeping a positive outlook. But fear going off Xolair only to get back on it when it come back. It works"

TiffanyJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I am glad to see that so many people had a positive experience with Xolair on this review page, I hope these reviews are real. I was fine on Xolair for about a year, although I will say I did not notice too much difference. In fairness, my asthma was relatively under control at the time with a daily steroid (Symbicort). One day after a shot, I experienced what can only be described as the most ridiculous sounding symptom on the Xolair box, feelings of impending doom. This was 3 years ago and I have suffered from severe anxiety ever since. My life, including my marriage, has been drastically affected by Xolair. PLEASE use caution before taking this and more importantly before letting your children take it."

Ben7781 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urticaria: "This is the best thing to help my CIU! I had to leave my last year of highschool because my hives would cause my lips and eyes to swell up every day for 7 months and nothing seemed to help. We went to a doctor that recommended Xolair and I started getting the shot monthly. I was devastated because the first three months of being on the shot nothing happened, it cleared them up a little bit, but not to where I was happy and feeling any better. My fourth shot of Xolair was like a miracle, I woke up the next morning and there was 0 hives. I've been on the shot for 7 months now and have been hive free for 3 months straight, the only time they come back is when I'm more then a week late for my next shot. It's amazing, it gave me my life back."

KatNich (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urticaria: "I took xolair for chronic idiopathic urticaria, the hives disappeared after the first injection. The 3 first months was 300mg per 4 weeks. After 3 months the hives came back… reactine, and blexten ( new antihistamin) can't do anything for my hives. The doctor increase my xolair to 300mg per 2 weeks. The hives completely disappeared but, after the injections I have headaches for 3-4 days and I'm so tired. But for the moment is more acceptable that have hives and angioeodema ! ( sorry my english is bad)"

Shadogirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have suffered with hives since I was pregnant with my first child - 7 years ago! I tried everything! Seen an allergist, omitted foods, drinks, soaps - everything. Multiple trips to the ER and steroids. I suffer from migraines but can't take any ibuprofen/advil/tylenol/motrin because they give me hives so bad that my hands swell up nearly to my elbows now. I discovered Xolair and just had my first 2 injections yesterday! Took a while for insurance to approve it. So far I feel fine other than a sore throat, but not sure if that's an actual side affect or my daughter sharing her cold hehe. I read so many of these positive posts and I am so excited to have started treatment!!"

Hivesnme (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I was diagnosed with asthma & allergies 15 yrs ago. I am now 65. In the beginning b4 Zolair injections, my asthma would act up & I would cough 4 weeks until I had such a sore throat, broken blood vessels around my eyes & was just miserable. Around 7 yrs ago, my Dr recommended I start Zolair injections every 2 wks. What a difference, like nite & day. I don't have any side effects either. I seldom have asthma flare ups & very little allergy problems. I still use an inhaler morn & nite & carry a rescue inhaler w me, which I seldom use. What a life saver Zolair injections has bn. I have my life back."

Lendy Lee March 21, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I started my Xolair shots May 2016 after suffering hive out breaks for 5 plus years. The shot worked immediately. I had 9 injections once monthly. Then I had a new insurance provider which requires me to start the regime Allegra, Zantac and Hydroxyzine HCL two times daily then adding Singular. Two days on Singular I had horrible outbreaks called my Allergy Dr. continued on with other meds waiting to get approved for Xolair. The shot cant come soon enough. Now I just hope I can afford it."

Dawne634 March 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have just received my 4th Xolair shot. I get them every two weeks. While I do think the shot is making a difference I am also discovering I am having some common side affects. Apparently I am getting dehydrated and have some dizziness. Anyone else have side effects and how long did they last? I was so concerned with the possibility of an anaphylactic reaction I did not catch that I was experiencing common side effects."

FCHebert (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I was a very healthy 52 year old female until my first Urticaria attack in June of 2013. I was taken to the emergency room and treated with IV Benadryl. I was back in ER with the same symptoms 24 hours later. Like many of the posts I read here I went through prednisone, cyclosporine, lotions, potions, etc and about 5 prescription anti-histamines a day from June of 2013 to October 2013 trying to get relief. Nothing worked and I was miserable - not to mention drugged . I found a very good doctor who introduced Xolaire to me. I received my first Xolaire injection in October 2013 (prior to FDA approval for CIU) and am still on it Feb 2017. It's a miracle drug."

LAB_2017 February 6, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I've been experiencing breakouts for months. Have gone through everything everyone else has, so no need to rehash. I'll get to the point for those who are suffering. On January 23, 2017 I received my first injection of Xolair. In less than 24 hours I was already experiencing some mild relief. It's been a full week, not one breakout of hives. It feels like I have my life back."

DCinSanAntonio (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have severe allergic asthma. After two hospitalizations for pneumonia, asthma attacks, anaphylaxis, chronic sinus infections following a childhood of allergy shots, as a young adult I needed constant medication to battle endless infections and hives. With allergy meds (I've tried them all), steroids and typical asthma meds, I had still become dependent on a nebulizer, every 4 hours. After years of struggle, I was actually getting worse working downtown Houston. Xolair changed my life! I went from a sickly, declining 28-year-old to a normal person, requiring nothing else but Benedryl during the spring. I have been taking it for 12 years, including a healthy pregnancy after the first year."

CamiGold (taken for 10 years or more) January 29, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urticaria: "I have had chronic hives for 10 years now. They started shortly after having gastric bypass surgery and have never gone away. I was on a cocktail of allergy medications for years and they only kept the hives from getting too out of control. I also was on an immune suppressant (that organ transplant patients take) for almost two years with very little change. I tried acupuncture too. About two years ago my allergist approved for me to get Xolair injections. This was the first time in 8 years where I didn't have hives at all. An injection lasts approximately 8 weeks and then I start breaking out again. I have had no side effects from it. I hope one day my hives will go away, but for now, this has been the ONLY medication that has worked"

Tesa2020 January 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I'm a male in my mid 30's. Had hives for 3-6 month stretches with 3-6 month breaks since I was 15 years old. Symptoms were as bad as most people on here, but never needed a hospital visit. Got on Xolair shortly after it was approved by the FDA, around 2-1/2 years ago. Hives were gone within 24 hours and usually the only hive I see is if I'm over-extending my time between shots. Started at 2 shots per visit (300 mg total) every 4 weeks. Now taking 300mg every 6 weeks. Works like a charm. Wish they could get the cost down. Even with insurance and assistance programs I still end up paying a large amount out of pocket. All in all a VERY effective medication that I wish had been available years ago!"

a_nickname January 18, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I developed allergies in my 30s and then asthma. Within 5 years the asthma and allergies became severe, having anaphylaxis and systemic reactions to medicines and foods, while inhalents caused severe asthma reactions. I saw 6. Allergy specialists and I was told there wasn't anything else they could do. I had an anaphylactic reaction to both allergy skin testing and an allergy immunolytics therapy injection. Finally in 2008 an allergist recommended xolair. After 4 months I noticed the seasonal allergies and number of asthma issues decreased. I haven't had an anaphylactic reaction since 2010. I now just take Allegra daily and live a regular life."

Davielee (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 6, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "It seemed to be working but after ,10 Months and 20 injections, I suffered a severe allergic reaction.Apparantly you can develop a hypersensitivity to the injections,which can cause this.In doing extensive research this is much more common then 1 in a ,1000 people as reported by manufacturer,it is more like ,1 in every 100 people.I was one of those people and have suffered considerable.I have been ill since my last injections on March 31,2016. Was hospitalized 3 times and I am sicker then before using injections. Please research this medication in depth first! I question the safety of this medication!"

Allergic to everything December 21, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I'm getting my first Xolair shot today. Currently I am covered in hives from head to toe, itching severely. My last hive out break was in June 2016 and they went away after 6 weeks on their own. I'm unresponsive to all the medication, prednisone, zyrtec, ranitidine, singular, gabapentin (for itching) hydroxyzine, Benadryl. I take them all when I have a flare up. I'm absolutely miserable and call my allergy specialist daily. This current flare up has been going for a few days and I had some xolair waiting for me in the office since June. I'm excited that this may be the cure that I need to prevent this misery. Will keep you posted."

Ms Pabon December 21, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urticaria: "I started by waking up in February 2016 with head to toe hives which remained until today, still have hive breakouts and random angioedema spells. I get a shot a month but I still have to take prednisone daily. I've been on prednisone since February 2016 I've lost so much hair and gained 45lbs. I hate waking up still. I've been getting xolair for 6 months, it takes the edge off but not enough. Miserable in Georgia."

Elambie December 2, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "Im 58 and female. After a hive free life I left my home in the S J Valley where the air is terrible (pollen and allergens are bad) to go to Hungary. I had no problem there but soon as I got back I had lost all immunity to the valley and hives came. After 9 mnths of hives, huge and tiny, itching, burning swelling hands, bottom of feet itch and swell, 2 trips to ER for anaphylactic shock, epi pen, prednisone, Benedryl, 2 Kenelog shots, Singulair, Zantac, Xyzol, Zyrtec and Xanax, after much research, I found Xolair is the only med approved for hives.I FINALLY got started.I am getting 150mg every 2 weeks rather than 300mg p/mo. It seems slow but gradually better. Still get rash, hives shrunk size and amount, only need 2 pills/not 12. Hopeful.."

Moogybutch November 3, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I developed hives and unknown swelling since I was 18. My life was miserable. I was always in the hospital I hated it sooo much. I was so depressed all the time. I felt like I wasn't living. Xolar really gave me my life back. I have been in it for 5 months so far so good :) I Wish I could hug who ever made this drug!!!"

Tres_cee October 31, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "Had gives for 4 1/2 years. Multiple doctors and medications, this is the only one that worked and gave me my life back. The side effects( hard time losing weight) are worth not being covered in thousands of hives."

Sharkie23 October 15, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I suffered from UCI for close to a year. Non stop hives with no relief other than steroids. After many allergists one finally suggested xolair. It was covered by my insurance (BCBS). I had 3 shots, 1x per month for 3 months. It's been a year with no issues and I no longer need Xolair. Thank You to the prople who created Xolair. It changed my life!!"

pfboivin October 11, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have been taking xolair for 5 years now. It is an amazing medicine. I only have one fully developed lung so I had asthma pretty bad. I am also allergic to elm trees so I would get hives and itching alot when I was outside. No more trips to er anymore and I can go outside and not have to wear jackets in summer due to the trees giving me hives. I have had no side effects so far. All I know is this drug works for me. It has changed my life."

Rebecca M (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 5, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "Xolair shots are a life saver! I was completely covered in hives for months and tried every medication possible while still trying to attempt college. I was failing classes and hated life, I was absolutely miserable. My doctor suggested Xolair, but after seeing the price I knew there was no way. However my doctor got my connected to sign up for the pay assistance. Although they are high of cost, they are extremely worth it. I get two shots a month, and it took about 2 months for any difference and than about 4 until i was completely hive free but i have now been hive free since than! I can never thank the Xolair creator enough!"

Minnesota9 September 29, 2016