User Reviews for Omalizumab

Asthma, Maintenance
7.9

Summary of Omalizumab reviews 8.0 154 reviews

Reviews for Omalizumab

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have had CIU (chronic idiopathic urticaria ) on and off for about 20 years. I had a long span of many years where the hives disappeared, but then one day, they returned. I have been on Xolair for about a year, and it worked....until 2 weeks ago. Now I am having aggressive hives after having virtually none this past year. Xolair clearly worked when I started the medication, so am am sticking with it for now. I have zero side effects from Xolair. I am concerned it seems to have stopped working however. I will have to do some research on vit D and CIU"

Yo yo (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2019

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "18 years of urticaria & 18 years of daily prednisone. I tried every drug under the sun & absolutely nothing worked (except steroids) until I found Xolair. I can’t begin to explain how this drug has changed my life!"

Kel (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 29, 2019

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "Prior to starting Xolair a little over 1 year ago, I have had chronic hives for 18 years. More days with than without hives. Swelling of face, lips, eyes, hands and feet. Hospitalized several times. In ER at least 10 times a year. Zolaire ended all of that. A small manageable flair ups infrequently. No side effects whatsoever. This medicine has restored my quality of life as well as my sanity. I no longer feel as if my hives will one day kill me if a hospital isn't nearby. Thank you makers of Zolaire!"

Americanvet63 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 28, 2019

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "So glad to find Xolair, it's the only drug worked for my urticaria after trying all kind of antihistimine medicine"

Nono (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2019

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "My mother was very excited to try Xolair. It seemed to help many people with asthma. Unfortunately after her second shot, she experienced three of the common side effects: anxiety, severe joint pain and a heart attack. She has been hospitalized for four days now, and today the doctor came in to talk about end of life care. Buyer beware."

Max (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2019

For Urticaria: "Ranking an 8 due to the following reasons. You must go into a doctor's office to have it administered. (Mark against as annoying). The max dosage in the US for Urticaria is 300 units (I likely should be on a higher dose than that) The minimum gap between injections is 4 weeks for CIU (I would see more improvement ever 3.5 weeks. I can feel the effects leaving after that time period). So while that isn't the drug companies fault, but the FDA. A Higher dose, or more frequent injections, would benefit my case more, but I am not able to do that. Cost of the drug is pretty expensive, although there is help available for people to still get it from Genentech. I have not noticed any side effects at all. I am not in remission, but have noticed significant improvement. All other treatments have resulted in no improvement. So this is the first one to give me results. I am however a very extreme case of CIU, and would not expect others to be similar due to the severity of my situation."

Audrey February 19, 2019

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have been on Xolair since November of 2016. Overall, this has been a very effective treatment for me. Besides a few 1-2 month flare-ups, I have seen a significant improvement. Untreated (and during flare-ups), I break out in hives 2-3 times a day every day, frequently with swelling in my face, lips, hands, and feet. Xolair has decreased this to almost no hives."

b (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 13, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have had chronic urticaria for about 10 years. Tried acupuncture which helped me reduce my allergy meds by half but not all the way. Then started Xolair 3 months ago. It helped with hives and I was able to reduce my allergy pills to just 2 Zyrtec a day. However, I have a host of negative side effects: rash on my face that won’t go away, severe irritation of lining inside my mouth, inflamed lips, and significant weight gain. I’ve decided it’s just not worth all these negative side effects so I’m stopping Xolair."

Jane December 10, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "Xolair has almost completely eliminated my hives. I still have occasional flairs and itching, but those are manageable now and there are now weeks when I’m completely symptom free."

youngde811 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 14, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "They forgot to list the side effect POVERTY. $500 per vial? Who are you kidding?"

A doctor (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I started xolair and had wonderful results for about 4 months, and then I began to experience a lot of hair loss. When I complained to my doctor they denied that it was the xolair, but it is a known side affect. Then I began have extreme joint discomfort and it got worse after each shot. finally I had a positive antinuclear antibodies (ANA) test, and I have never had anything like that!! I have been off the xolair for 2 months with out much relief of my joints, although my hair loss has slowed down. I was told it will take time for it to all get out of my system. I don't want to say it's a terrible drug because not everyone has these side effects. But I hope that anyone who is wondering if the cause of their issues could be xolair, it probably is!"

lizzy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 1, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have had 2 xolair shots. I took a month break in between to think about how I felt about the experience. After the first shot I experience severe sugar craving and felt starving, for about 8 days. My joints hurt as well but by the second week things got better. The hives came back about 8 weeks after the first shot, more painful and swollen than before so I decided to get the 3nd shot. Now 2 weeks in I am still starving and craving sugar. I have gained weight but the hives are gone. Had anyone else experienced the cravings? I did notice it on one review here but would like to know if there are any others. My doctors don’t believe me. Frustrated."

Abee October 30, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "My daughter has chronic idiopathic Uticaria and began taking Xolair about 9 months ago to treat the frequent and widespread hives that she was suffering with. Prior to taking Xolair she would get widespread hives about once per week and they would last anywhere from 1 to 3 days. Subsequent to taking Xolair she has not had a single case of hives. So we are extremely pleased with our results."

Dad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 17, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have had been diagnosed with severe Urticaria 3 months ago I was being rushed to ER every night for 2 weeks with anaphylaxis and a horrendous hive reaction and having to have adrenalin administered to ease it, I have now just started my first injection of Xolair, I must say the side effects have not been pleasant. I have experienced severe itching of my eyes, muscular and joint pain and horrible headaches, although I have not had a break out since the injection I am concerned about the side effects, can anyone tell me if they have had similar and if they subside eventually. I understand everyone reacts differently but I am just wanting to get a feel for what others have experienced."

Melmurphy (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

For Urticaria: "I have had chronic hives for over 20 years. I've been on a variety of different meds and although the hives would go away for a bit, they would be right back. Recently, the hives have been horrible. Not just the hives themselves, but the burning skin. A couple of years ago my allergist started talking to me about Xolair, but I was afraid and wouldn't do it. Lately because of being so miserable, I decided to give it a try, although I refused to take more than the 150 dose. Today is Sunday and it was Thursday afternoon when I had my first shot. I do still have hives, but they are no longer painful and is controlled easier with the Zyrtec. The itching is barely there. I have actually slept all the way through the night for the last three nights! I am excited and glad I finally gave in and got the shot! I may go for the 300 dose next time around, but, who knows, if the hives are completely gone in the next three weeks on the lower dose, I will stick with that."

JuneBug September 9, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "Was diagnosed with chronic urticaria 4 months ago with no signs of relief. Once the shot kicked in after a few days the breakout periods extended. I haven't had the hives which is great as they covered from head to toe but I still suffer from lips and face swelling up like balloons every week or so. Hopefully my next shot will fix that! Experienced NO side effects at all."

Amanda (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I had chronic urticaria for over 13 years and I been trying every kind of medicine and nothing was working for me and no Doctor here in USA or Jordan and Colombia could help me with it, the only medicine who was helping me the prednisone, I was so disappointed because no one could help me, till my las hope I visited another dr and he explained me about Xolair and I had my first shots on June and the same day my urticaria was gone.I could not believe it I am so grateful with your medicine and my Dr who recommended to use I am happy that I found this Dr and your medicine,I will complete my injections and THANK YOU SO MUCH now I am a new man after this first injections,I don’t have the words to thank you I feel like I am a new man, thanks a thousand times"

Gus (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I started getting large, itchy and painful hives 5 years ago. I have had multiple allergy tests. I was put on Xolair and it worked wonders. I lost my insurance so now I can not afford xolair without insurance. My condition has worsened. This past month I have gone to ER. The hives are the least of my concerns now. My tongue, lips, throat swell and I go into full blown anaphylaxis. The only thing that helps is epinephrine, a steroid, an antacid and Benadryl all given intravenously. It’s sad. I will keep searching for help. A nurse in one ER spoke with me once I had stabilized. He recommended that I read a book called eating for your blood type as well and histamine intolerance. I now avoid fast foods, and all sorts of pickled and cured foods as well as any foods that sit around because they contain additives and preservatives. I’m afraid to eat now and I’m craving sugar like mad. I believe I am histamine intolerant and may have some mast cell condition situation "

Dlight1411111not June 14, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "Suffered from chronic urticuria for 2 yrs. Was MISERABLE!! STARTED XOLAIR 1.5 yrs ago. Hives are GONE. BUT I feel I have severe side effects. Body pain so bad I can't function. I'm a very active person...generally..... Now I can barely get up to pee in the middle of the night!!!!! Anyone out there with the same problem????"

Moe (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 14, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I had been getting hives head to toe for 3 years before trying Xolair... honestly it was so miserable. I had two allergist trying me on prednizone, singulair, doxepin, something like that (in short it was a crazy pill regimen) and that didn't even alleviate the hives in the slightest- just made me depressed and jittery. Until one day I went to a new doctor and he let me try xolair. Immediately after the first shot, my hives were 80% better, and by the second shot 4 weeks later, I was 100% no hives. My skin is super sensitive in general so sometimes I still get itchy or if i go past my 4 weeks some hives develop again, but it is soooooo much better than waking up red and blotchy and itchy every freaking day. Xolair has really changed my life. Although, I wish it was more definite when I can get off of it.. I think you kind of just have to wait for your body allergies to change (meanwhile xolair will still suppress the hives). All in all I would still get on it if I had to do it again."

Aly (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "This injection has done an amazing job eliminating CIU/DPU (chronic idiopathic urticaria/delayed pressure urticaria)! I have been getting 300mg every 8 weeks for about a year in half now with no side effects. Have been dealing with hives for about 8 years prior to Xolair and prednisone was the only drug that would get rid of the hives."

Gracie (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "Highly recommend Xolair. Was in the clinical trials for Xolair well over 10 years ago. Before Xolair, I was a severe asthmatic who could be found in the hospital almost monthly due to allergic asthma. I received 2 injections every 2 weeks . . . until I became allergic to it. The company requested - and received - my DNA in order to help them understand why I became allergic, and to help others in the future. Xolair was a miracle drug for me - and still is. We don't know why but it seems to have had a residual effect of some sort with me. A year after stopping the injections I was stung 2-3 times by yellow jackets. I would have immediately gone into anaphylaxis without the residual effect of the Xolair. Instead, I drove myself to the ER (Epi-Pen ready to use) without any problems. There was a "typical" reaction of swelling and pain around the site of the stings with no other reactions."

HonestC June 12, 2018

For Urticaria: "Xolair has changed my life. For the first time in almost four years I’ve been able to live my life and enjoy my life again. No side effects. The injection I heard was painful but I barely felt it. I just wish we weren’t tortured for months with endless failing antihistamine treatments and months of steroids before giving in to xolair. I understand we have to try everything but if it works SO well for so many chronic idiopathic urticaria (CIU) sufferers why not do it sooner? I hope Genentech reduces the cost. Maybe that is a factor."

Terri C (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have had a very positive response from these injections. I've just started my 7 th month. From constantly taking Ventolin, being breathless , coughing and unable to exercise, I am now back to normal, no Ventolin used in the last 7 months, where I use to use 5 to 7 Ventolin scripts a month. Feeling great"

JF May 7, 2018

For Urticaria: "Xolair literally saved my life. Before I started taking it I was in the ER three times within a week with hives and swollen. Lips and throat. I went to an allergist who tried several antihistamines without success. He then gave me a Xolair injection (free, he had samples). No hives for 2 weeks but when they came back they weren't severe. Next time, no hives for 3 weeks. That was in July and I haven't had a hive since! I come to the hospital procedure center once a month and actually enjoy talking to the nurses."

Ellie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2018