User Reviews for Omalizumab

Also known as: Xolair

Omalizumab has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 207 ratings on Drugs.com. 70% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Urticaria
7.7
Asthma, Maintenance
7.7
Summary of Omalizumab reviews 7.7 207 reviews

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Reviews for Omalizumab

Julia July 12, 2021

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “Life saver, this medication helped me move on with my life as I have suffered for 10months with hives every single day. All my blood test results were perfectly fine and wasn’t able to find out what is causing this reaction in my body.”

Angelina · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2021

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: “31 year old female, no known allergies. Woke up one day with full body hives that did not react well to steroids/antihistamines until I upped my dose to four Zyrtec per day. Started on 300 mg of Xolair 5 weeks ago and am hive free. No Zyrtec needed. I noticed a headache the first time around and did feel like it made me overly alert, but honestly I'm super happy to not have to take so much Zyrtec. I just got my second dose and am still happy. Will check back in in 4-6 months. Had to fight with insurance to get approved but it was worth it”

Aida · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2021

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “I've had chronic urticaria for 6 months now. They started soon after my flu shot although my first allergist said it's not possible. Whatever! I tried everything including 4 Allegra a day, Singulair, Pepcid, Doxepin, Xyzal and the dreaded Prednisone. One trip to ER because of anaphylaxis. I am miserable. My new allergist started me on Xolair. Just got my 2nd dose and honestly after each dose, I flared up worse than when on my daily regimen of antihistamines. I am still waiting for my miracle. Unfortunately, I am experiencing back pain and knee pain. Although I do suffer with pain already, this pain is much worse and constant. I am not using a cane to get up when I sit down. Walking and standing are issues as well. Let me know if anyone else is experiencing same issues.”

IHateHives · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 25, 2020

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “I am getting my 6th shot next week. There is good news then bad! My first month I was tapering off of prednisone so I wasn’t sure if XOLAIR was working. 2nd month it did nothing, and then finally half way through month 3 my hives went away!!! Only if I continued to take antihistamines. It’s almost like it “activated” the antihistamines that hadn’t worked before. At the end of the month I would notice maybe 6 - 10 hives show up like it was “wearing off”, but that was nothing compared to 500+ before. Then I had my 5th shot, and started getting VERY bad hives again. The antihistamines slightly work, but the XOLAIR just STOPPED working like it did in month 3/4? I am currently waiting for approval for the 450mg dosage, and I hope XOLAIR starts working again! Has anyone had this experience? I will keep checking back to see if anyone has a similar story!”

J · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 10, 2020

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “Xolair is honestly a miracle drug for me. I had been experiencing full body hives (autoimmune urticaria) for months and I had reached my breaking point as no antihistamine worked. Then came Xolair. It took some time to work so you have to be patient but once it did, my quality of life dramatically improved. I no longer experience hives although I can tell when it is wearing off because I will start to itch a bit ( nowhere close to what my hives were like before). I receive monthly injections.”

Mello · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 7, 2020

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “I was skeptical since I was on 2 zyrtec, 1 allegra, 2 hydroxyzine, and topical steroid cream for hives. I tested negative for all the allergens through skin and blood testing, so no one knew what the problem was. By the second injection my hives stopped and it became a lot easier to breathe (didn't know I had breathing issues). I love Xolair, I do need it upped to 2 times a month since it works for about 3 weeks for me, but I really am happy I no longer am a blob of hives.”

Moe · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 14, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “Suffered from chronic urticuria for 2 yrs. Was MISERABLE!! STARTED XOLAIR 1.5 yrs ago. Hives are GONE. BUT I feel I have severe side effects. Body pain so bad I can't function. I'm a very active person...generally..... Now I can barely get up to pee in the middle of the night!!!!! Anyone out there with the same problem????”

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2020

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “I've been suffering from chronic urticaria for half a year with daily breakouts. Different parts of my body were always covered with lesions. I was on 3 different antihistamines and tried steroid therapy for a couple of months with no success. I was on the edge of depression because of constant pain and itch. I had my first 300mg shots a week ago and now my urticaria just disappeared. Had headache and fatigue the day after the shot but that was it. This drug was a miracle for me, changed my quality of life and, for the time being, no major side effects. I will have a better overall idea after six months I guess and I will be back with more comments.”

Anon909 · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 24, 2013

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: “Xolair is life-changing. I was diagnosed with severe allergic asthma 35 years ago. While I still take regular maintenance medicines in addition to a steroid inhaler, Xolair had allowed me to give up my nebulizer and has turned of the allergic rhinitis faucet in my head. At the time of my last injection I was wheezing slightly (residual symptoms from a three week battle with bronchitis). Within 15 minutes of the injection the wheezing had stopped and I was breathing easier. I've taken Xolair since 2005 without any adverse reaction. My symptoms are better controlled with Xolair than at any time in my life. Truly a miracle.”

Grateful · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 15, 2020

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “Grateful here I first posted after I was on xolair for 3 months I am so happy to say 8 months later I love xolair I have no side effects I get an occasional hive here and there no full-blown skin rashes anymore. I feel for anyone out there who is suffering from skin conditions there is help out there you just got to find the right doctor took me 8 years. And find a doctor who will really listen to you. I also want to mention I also am on allergy shots for my allergist found things I didn't know I was allergic to so together with the xolair I have my life back. Don't give up.”

rajf91 June 11, 2020

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “I have been on Xolair for 2 years next month, I have had months with no hives and some flares in between. I get 150 mg in each arm every four weeks . I know I have had some side effects, even though the allergist disagrees with me . But I have worked through them and the benefits are worth taking even though there are a lot of risks. I was hoping to be off all the antihistamines and prescription Singulair by now but still having to take them all with the Xolair . I don't know how much longer I can stay on the Xolair, my worry is what will happen to me once it is stopped, I worry will go back to being covered in hives again . I cannot go back to that , I have had a very much better quality of life by taking the Xolair”

Gratefull · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 31, 2019

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “After 8 years 5 dermatologist thousands of dollars my prayers have been answered with xolair . It has changed my life my skin no longer decides what I'm going to wear if I'm going to go out if I can plan a vacation I never thought I'd see the day where I didn't itch all over my body and cry myself to sleep. I am so grateful to the allergist who put me on this medication so far it is working for me I feel truly blessed it has been a long eight years I've missed out on so much by hiding especially in the summer trying to hide my arms I have worn a sleeveless shirt more in the past five months than I have in the last 8 years and it's winter time. I will post monthly on how I am doing and I wish I could thank personally whoever makes it possible to get this shot with a $5 copay I am truly grateful.”

Jewels1984 January 1, 2015

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “I have had 8 Xolair injections for Chronic Urticaria Autoimmune and I am thrilled it took four shots to get me off prednisone and to be hive free. I one by one removed all the other medicines. I HIGHLY recommend Xolair.”

hihosilver August 13, 2015

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “I have been living with chronic debilitating hives with angioedema for over 30 years! After my first injection of Xolair I have been almost virtually free of hives for 1 yr and 1 month! I got a few hives once and got another injection and they were gone. It has changed my life completley! No weight gain. Just a bit more tired than I use to be but that is fine with me. I can bike and do 1000 more things than I could ever do with hives. The pain was ungodly and I don't know how I lived that way and hope I never have to again,”

CamiGold · Taken for 10 years or more January 29, 2017

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I have severe allergic asthma. After two hospitalizations for pneumonia, asthma attacks, anaphylaxis, chronic sinus infections following a childhood of allergy shots, as a young adult I needed constant medication to battle endless infections and hives. With allergy meds (I've tried them all), steroids and typical asthma meds, I had still become dependent on a nebulizer, every 4 hours. After years of struggle, I was actually getting worse working downtown Houston. Xolair changed my life! I went from a sickly, declining 28-year-old to a normal person, requiring nothing else but Benedryl during the spring. I have been taking it for 12 years, including a healthy pregnancy after the first year.”

Candyjo April 3, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: “February 2013 I woke up 6 days later in ICU and the nurse pulling a long tube out of my mouth (incubated). I lost 6 days of my life due to respiratory failure from an acute asthma attack. So here I am 3 years later have been on Xolair which has changed my world completely. I have not used my neubulizer machine and occasionally use my inhaler but I travel weekly for work. I am a 57 years of age, female and love animals and the outdoors. As far as side effects there are muscle pains but I would rather know that I can breathe and not be on steroids and other maintenance meds. My husbands peace of mind he makes sure that I do not miss injections. Make sure you check out all financial options for Xolair assistance.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 23, 2020

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “2 years ago I was diagnosed with ciu - Chronic idopathic urticaria - which made my life miserable holding my ice pack all day long every where I go till my doctor introduced my to xolair injection. I got relief instantly. I get 2 shot 150mg every 4 to 6 weeks I'm so blessed this medicine has worked for me.”

KayCee71 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2014

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “After suffering for 8 years with my body exploding into itchy & painful hives & occasionally going into anaphylaxis, my immunologist screened me last year to start on Xolair for Autoimmune Chronic Urticaria, Angioedema, Anaphylaxis. I've been on bi-weekly shots since the start of this year. All I can say is that is a MIRACLE medication! I'm no longer mutating into a monster with head to toe hives, swollen eyes & lips, gasping for air & praying the Epi-Pens do their job before I die. Having been on corticosteroids for so long, I blew up like a parade float & started to have problems with bone degeneration & cataracts. 2 weeks after getting my initial injection; I said farwell to steroids!!! HUZZAH! Loving my life once again. :)”

Kel · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 29, 2019

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “18 years of urticaria & 18 years of daily prednisone. I tried every drug under the sun & absolutely nothing worked (except steroids) until I found Xolair. I can’t begin to explain how this drug has changed my life!”

Tired June 19, 2020

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “Am female now 56 Had experienced chronic Urticaria Lasting a few months probably 3 times over approx 20years. The episodes occurred & disappeared on their own. However 2 years ago, it came again & tried the Zyrtec benadryls Zantac etc, only had relief with Prednisone. Eventually got approved for the monthly Xolair & have been going into hospital monthly for 2x150mg injections into the stomach. My concern was when do I stop taking these injections given the hives may go away, have been gradually delaying my injection by a week each cycle & have noticed that By week 8 a small amount of hives start to appear. I know the discomfort of severe hives so very reluctant to stop injections in fear of it returning but I am now starting to have severe knee pain & struggle to lift myself when I kneel down . Other Recent issue has been Redness/ rosacea on face which I now take different medication for & am unsure if it’s related to the Xolair. Anybody else experiencing this?”

Fay · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 19, 2020

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “Ive been suffering for 18 yrs with this crazy hives I did all the pills to I'm still taking 1 Zyrtec a day, one Singulair a day, 150mg xolair shot a month I'm clean and clear and thank God. Finally after many years of misery I thought I was the only person out there suffering. The shot has been a miracle for me but I do agree with with the sugar cravings and weight gain. I have to diet and watch what I eat all the time so I don't blow up but I'm very grateful for the shot it has changed my life back to normal”

Vickie Hardesty August 9, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I had tried everything. I had been on steroids 15 times in one year. I had been taken from work twice by ambulance from asthma attacks. Hospitalized from asthma attacks. Nothing was working. I couldn't do anything. I could hardly be outside at all. I couldn't go to my grandson's baseball games or anything. Depression was getting worse all the time. Since I started on Zolair I have not been on steroids,no trips to hospital and I went to every single baseball game of my grandson( even double headers). This has been life changing. I would love to tell everyone!!!”

Hives_Nightmare February 10, 2016

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “I have had daily hives from June 2015 until October 2015, Despite prednisone and mega dose of Anti-Histamine, my hives kept coming every single day. I started xolair in October 2015 and took my first 150 ml shot in October 30, 2015, then In November27, 2015 and then in December 23, 2015. Unfortunately after my 3rd shot and on Christmas day, my hives came back with vengeance and I kept having them daily. The in January 13, 2016, I took 2 shots (300 ml) and still nothing. My hives have been getting worse on a daily basis. I am due for 2 shots next week again. I hope it will work out. Did anyone experience that? Xolair works for couple months then stopped working? Do you think it will work again after few more shots?”

Anonymous September 24, 2015

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: “It works! I used to pray for something to help me-Xolair answered my prayers!I started in March 2015 and the 1st shot my nose cleared. Since then each shot was a journey. I was on Prednisone too often and April August September usually meant using the nebulizer prednisone & hoping I wouldn't go to the hospital. Walking from family room to kitchen was challenging,walking my dog-no way! I now am taking my dog out 4Xday.Also I want to do more things. My allergist never told me about Xolair, I found out on Internet! Please try it as it is lifechanging! Good Luck!”

Max · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: “My mother was very excited to try Xolair. It seemed to help many people with asthma. Unfortunately after her second shot, she experienced three of the common side effects: anxiety, severe joint pain and a heart attack. She has been hospitalized for four days now, and today the doctor came in to talk about end of life care. Buyer beware.”

HeidiFaye · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2013

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: “This is only my first shot. I was very symptomatic the morning of the shot - phlegm, restricted breathing, swelling of appendages, face, neck & throat, redness, burning (had idiopathic anaphylaxis/asthma). Twenty minutes after the shot I suddenly felt an unusual open feeling in my sinuses, and my phlegm was gone. I could take an unrestricted breath for the first time in years. I noticed my sore throat, the burning, much of my swelling, and redness was gone. My eyes were wide and white and I guess weren't swollen because I could focus. I left feeling elated. But driving I began to feel fatigued coupled with bursts of energy, some dizziness and strange mental activity. I didn't feel safe driving and canceled work. ”

Hive patient · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 16, 2015

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “This medicine saved my life! All of a sudden at the age of 39 I was covered in hives on a daily basis for months. Antihistamines and steroids didn't do the trick and I was miserable. Within 2 months of being on this I am completely hive free. I wouldn't be able to function without it. Love it!”

HivesBgone · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2014

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: “I have had CIU for over 13 years without remission. Horrible, painful, debilitating hives that grow for days before receding. I've never gone more than a couple of days without at least one hive, despite mega-doses of antihistamines and other doctor recommended medications. I'd tried it all! I received my first injection of Xolair 26 days ago and have not had one single hive! This medicine is, so far, the miracle I have been hoping and searching for, for 13 long years!”