User Reviews for Omalizumab systemic

Urticaria

Asthma, Maintenance

Summary of Omalizumab reviews 8.0 148 reviews

Reviews for Omalizumab

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have been on Xolair since November of 2016. Overall, this has been a very effective treatment for me. Besides a few 1-2 month flare-ups, I have seen a significant improvement. Untreated (and during flare-ups), I break out in hives 2-3 times a day every day, frequently with swelling in my face, lips, hands, and feet. Xolair has decreased this to almost no hives."

b (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 13, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have had chronic urticaria for about 10 years. Tried acupuncture which helped me reduce my allergy meds by half but not all the way. Then started Xolair 3 months ago. It helped with hives and I was able to reduce my allergy pills to just 2 Zyrtec a day. However, I have a host of negative side effects: rash on my face that won’t go away, severe irritation of lining inside my mouth, inflamed lips, and significant weight gain. I’ve decided it’s just not worth all these negative side effects so I’m stopping Xolair."

Jane December 10, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "Xolair has almost completely eliminated my hives. I still have occasional flairs and itching, but those are manageable now and there are now weeks when I’m completely symptom free."

youngde811 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 14, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "They forgot to list the side effect POVERTY. $500 per vial? Who are you kidding?"

A doctor (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I started xolair and had wonderful results for about 4 months, and then I began to experience a lot of hair loss. When I complained to my doctor they denied that it was the xolair, but it is a known side affect. Then I began have extreme joint discomfort and it got worse after each shot. finally I had a positive antinuclear antibodies (ANA) test, and I have never had anything like that!! I have been off the xolair for 2 months with out much relief of my joints, although my hair loss has slowed down. I was told it will take time for it to all get out of my system. I don't want to say it's a terrible drug because not everyone has these side effects. But I hope that anyone who is wondering if the cause of their issues could be xolair, it probably is!"

lizzy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 1, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have had 2 xolair shots. I took a month break in between to think about how I felt about the experience. After the first shot I experience severe sugar craving and felt starving, for about 8 days. My joints hurt as well but by the second week things got better. The hives came back about 8 weeks after the first shot, more painful and swollen than before so I decided to get the 3nd shot. Now 2 weeks in I am still starving and craving sugar. I have gained weight but the hives are gone. Had anyone else experienced the cravings? I did notice it on one review here but would like to know if there are any others. My doctors don’t believe me. Frustrated."

Abee October 30, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "My daughter has chronic idiopathic Uticaria and began taking Xolair about 9 months ago to treat the frequent and widespread hives that she was suffering with. Prior to taking Xolair she would get widespread hives about once per week and they would last anywhere from 1 to 3 days. Subsequent to taking Xolair she has not had a single case of hives. So we are extremely pleased with our results."

Dad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 17, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have had been diagnosed with severe Urticaria 3 months ago I was being rushed to ER every night for 2 weeks with anaphylaxis and a horrendous hive reaction and having to have adrenalin administered to ease it, I have now just started my first injection of Xolair, I must say the side effects have not been pleasant. I have experienced severe itching of my eyes, muscular and joint pain and horrible headaches, although I have not had a break out since the injection I am concerned about the side effects, can anyone tell me if they have had similar and if they subside eventually. I understand everyone reacts differently but I am just wanting to get a feel for what others have experienced."

Melmurphy (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

For Urticaria: "I have had chronic hives for over 20 years. I've been on a variety of different meds and although the hives would go away for a bit, they would be right back. Recently, the hives have been horrible. Not just the hives themselves, but the burning skin. A couple of years ago my allergist started talking to me about Xolair, but I was afraid and wouldn't do it. Lately because of being so miserable, I decided to give it a try, although I refused to take more than the 150 dose. Today is Sunday and it was Thursday afternoon when I had my first shot. I do still have hives, but they are no longer painful and is controlled easier with the Zyrtec. The itching is barely there. I have actually slept all the way through the night for the last three nights! I am excited and glad I finally gave in and got the shot! I may go for the 300 dose next time around, but, who knows, if the hives are completely gone in the next three weeks on the lower dose, I will stick with that."

JuneBug September 9, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "Was diagnosed with chronic urticaria 4 months ago with no signs of relief. Once the shot kicked in after a few days the breakout periods extended. I haven't had the hives which is great as they covered from head to toe but I still suffer from lips and face swelling up like balloons every week or so. Hopefully my next shot will fix that! Experienced NO side effects at all."

Amanda (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I had chronic urticaria for over 13 years and I been trying every kind of medicine and nothing was working for me and no Doctor here in USA or Jordan and Colombia could help me with it, the only medicine who was helping me the prednisone, I was so disappointed because no one could help me, till my las hope I visited another dr and he explained me about Xolair and I had my first shots on June and the same day my urticaria was gone.I could not believe it I am so grateful with your medicine and my Dr who recommended to use I am happy that I found this Dr and your medicine,I will complete my injections and THANK YOU SO MUCH now I am a new man after this first injections,I don’t have the words to thank you I feel like I am a new man, thanks a thousand times"

Gus (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I started getting large, itchy and painful hives 5 years ago. I have had multiple allergy tests. I was put on Xolair and it worked wonders. I lost my insurance so now I can not afford xolair without insurance. My condition has worsened. This past month I have gone to ER. The hives are the least of my concerns now. My tongue, lips, throat swell and I go into full blown anaphylaxis. The only thing that helps is epinephrine, a steroid, an antacid and Benadryl all given intravenously. It’s sad. I will keep searching for help. A nurse in one ER spoke with me once I had stabilized. He recommended that I read a book called eating for your blood type as well and histamine intolerance. I now avoid fast foods, and all sorts of pickled and cured foods as well as any foods that sit around because they contain additives and preservatives. I’m afraid to eat now and I’m craving sugar like mad. I believe I am histamine intolerant and may have some mast cell condition situation "

Dlight1411111not June 14, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "Suffered from chronic urticuria for 2 yrs. Was MISERABLE!! STARTED XOLAIR 1.5 yrs ago. Hives are GONE. BUT I feel I have severe side effects. Body pain so bad I can't function. I'm a very active person...generally..... Now I can barely get up to pee in the middle of the night!!!!! Anyone out there with the same problem????"

Moe (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 14, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I had been getting hives head to toe for 3 years before trying Xolair... honestly it was so miserable. I had two allergist trying me on prednizone, singulair, doxepin, something like that (in short it was a crazy pill regimen) and that didn't even alleviate the hives in the slightest- just made me depressed and jittery. Until one day I went to a new doctor and he let me try xolair. Immediately after the first shot, my hives were 80% better, and by the second shot 4 weeks later, I was 100% no hives. My skin is super sensitive in general so sometimes I still get itchy or if i go past my 4 weeks some hives develop again, but it is soooooo much better than waking up red and blotchy and itchy every freaking day. Xolair has really changed my life. Although, I wish it was more definite when I can get off of it.. I think you kind of just have to wait for your body allergies to change (meanwhile xolair will still suppress the hives). All in all I would still get on it if I had to do it again."

Aly (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "This injection has done an amazing job eliminating CIU/DPU (chronic idiopathic urticaria/delayed pressure urticaria)! I have been getting 300mg every 8 weeks for about a year in half now with no side effects. Have been dealing with hives for about 8 years prior to Xolair and prednisone was the only drug that would get rid of the hives."

Gracie (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "Highly recommend Xolair. Was in the clinical trials for Xolair well over 10 years ago. Before Xolair, I was a severe asthmatic who could be found in the hospital almost monthly due to allergic asthma. I received 2 injections every 2 weeks . . . until I became allergic to it. The company requested - and received - my DNA in order to help them understand why I became allergic, and to help others in the future. Xolair was a miracle drug for me - and still is. We don't know why but it seems to have had a residual effect of some sort with me. A year after stopping the injections I was stung 2-3 times by yellow jackets. I would have immediately gone into anaphylaxis without the residual effect of the Xolair. Instead, I drove myself to the ER (Epi-Pen ready to use) without any problems. There was a "typical" reaction of swelling and pain around the site of the stings with no other reactions."

HonestC June 12, 2018

For Urticaria: "Xolair has changed my life. For the first time in almost four years I’ve been able to live my life and enjoy my life again. No side effects. The injection I heard was painful but I barely felt it. I just wish we weren’t tortured for months with endless failing antihistamine treatments and months of steroids before giving in to xolair. I understand we have to try everything but if it works SO well for so many chronic idiopathic urticaria (CIU) sufferers why not do it sooner? I hope Genentech reduces the cost. Maybe that is a factor."

Terri C (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "I have had a very positive response from these injections. I've just started my 7 th month. From constantly taking Ventolin, being breathless , coughing and unable to exercise, I am now back to normal, no Ventolin used in the last 7 months, where I use to use 5 to 7 Ventolin scripts a month. Feeling great"

JF May 7, 2018

For Urticaria: "Xolair literally saved my life. Before I started taking it I was in the ER three times within a week with hives and swollen. Lips and throat. I went to an allergist who tried several antihistamines without success. He then gave me a Xolair injection (free, he had samples). No hives for 2 weeks but when they came back they weren't severe. Next time, no hives for 3 weeks. That was in July and I haven't had a hive since! I come to the hospital procedure center once a month and actually enjoy talking to the nurses."

Ellie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I take 450mg of Xolair injections every 4 weeks and while it starts to work within 24 hours at this dose, it starts to wear off at week 3. My government won't pay for more than 450mg every 4 weeks, would have been nice to have had 300mg every 2 weeks but oh well. I still have to rely on a total of 5 other meds besides Xolair to control my severe chronic urticaria including zrytec, benadryl, naltrexone, doxepin and singular."

Noca (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 11, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I suffer from Urticaria for 11 months and I had my 1st xolair injection last month and I am going to take the 2nd in few days. I suffer from joint and muscle pain even before I had my xolair medication and it is still there, I can say that I am feeling better especially with the hives and the rash although they appear, but, still they are not severe as before. I hope that better results are seen with my coming injections."

Abeer April 10, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have had six 300mg injections with no results."

zeek (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 2, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I have a urticaria hives for almost 7 years. I have tried Zyrtec, Claritin & all other medicines. No luck. Finally I found Xoliar. It really worked well for a while. I was amazed to have that injection every time. No hives, Itching. redness. Yeah I got what I needed. But after a year I realized my elbow, and palm was getting muscle pain & joint pain in fingers. And also if I got cold it will take time to recover even I had the Cold and Cough syrups. I use to have the cold for more than 10 days. Sneezing, coughing, running nose. You can say "It might be a allergies". Yes I tried Zyrtec for allergies also, nothing worked. Xolair destroys our immune system totally whatever we built from our childhood. Some time when you get a cold, people will have fever tablet also for precaution. But after had the tablet only, they will feel fever. Same here, Slowly you will be like Asthma patient after getting Xoliar even you don't have Asthma. No Xoliar. Avoid sugar whenever possible (sugar will lead to being itchy). Good Luck."

PK March 19, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Asthma, Maintenance: "At first I was a little nervous to get Xolair, after reading a lot of info online. Let me tell you, starting the injections were the BEST decision! I was at the point that I stopped going out with my friends or doing anything at all, because my asthma drained me and I was always scared of going into an asthma attack. After starting the injections I feel like I’m able to do breathe so much better and barely ever have attacks! I think I’ve bad 1 since I started getting the injections.... My asthma is sometimes bothered but nothing like it was before. Thank god for Xolair!"

Olivia (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 13, 2018

Xolair (omalizumab) for Urticaria: "I'm on here because my mom takes these shots for idiopathic chronic hives. It isn't working for her unfortunatley. We live states apart and I've had some similar allergic reactions to some of you but I had some luck in discovering the foundation for it. It's a "rare" but becoming much more common allergy to mammalian meat and all mammal meat bi-products caused by a tick bite called Alpha Gal allergy. Itchy hands and feet and delayed reaction are big indicators for it. There is a simple blood test to find out and then you have to avoid mammal meat and their products like the plague. You can still eat poultry and fish, etc but for some severe cases, you have to be a strict vegan about EVERYTHING. You would not believe the amount of everyday products that use the fat from a cow or the blood of a pig, etc. pretty gross actually. Once you eliminate most to all of these, life improves dramatically! Anyways, hope this helps some of you!!!"

Alphagal (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2018