User Reviews for Movantik

Movantik has an average rating of 4.8 out of 10 from a total of 238 ratings on Drugs.com. 36% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 50% reported a negative effect.

Constipation, Drug Induced
2.3
Summary of Movantik reviews 4.8 238 reviews

Reviews for Movantik

Please Read · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2017

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “Please, please read this before trying any prescription for chronic constipation due to opioid use. Due to a back injury, I have been taking opioids for over 10 years. I had chronic constipation with no relief with anything. Then I read another person's experience with magnesium. The type of magnesium you take is important. You want to take one that has low absorption, so that it will pass right through. I went from having a bowel movement once a week or week and a half to having one daily. I take 1-250mg magnesium oxide and 1 docusate sodium (non-stimulant stool softener) twice a day (same dosage for the last 9 years). You can find these over-the-counter in any drugstore. Unfortunately, a physician won't tell you this.”

Clay January 24, 2020

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “I have had chronic constipation for many years due to Morphine ER and Oxycodone that I use for a bad back. I have used every OTC laxative with little to no success. My doctor prescribed Movantik 12.5 mg and it has worked great! I do have minor withdrawal symptoms, but nothing like described in other reviews. The one thing I can recommend is that you take first thing in the morning before you take opioids. After you have had a BM then take your opioids and everything should be fine. In my opinion this medication is a lifesaver for people that experience chronic constipation.”

DontGiveUp · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 13, 2019

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “This medicine Movantik works for my constipation in an hour or less. The side effects aren't that bad most days compared to the nightmare of constipation. The first time I took it I would say I was in really bad for about 6 hours. The next day I was hesitant but knew that side effects from medication do lessen with time. So, I took it again and was awful for 3 hours. I took it for a 3rd time and was able to go within the hour with a bearable amount of cramping. Some days I do have cramps but they are not the nightmare I started with. If for some reason I skip taking it for a few days I can have cramping and sweating, etc. so I try not to miss many. If constipation is ruining your life, this medicine can help. I recommend trying to get through the first few times, remembering that side effects can lessen when your body gets used to medicine. That is my experience. I hope everyone who reads this is able to get help also. Believe me, I know the nightmare you must be in if you are reading this.”

FreddyHeights · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 16, 2021

For Opioid-Induced Constipation: “I can understand both negative and positive reactions to Movantik. I have experienced both. The first time I had cramps and went immediately. This is while using heroine. During the beginning of pandemic. Copping fentanyl, and dope in the street was getting dangerous and hard so after years of not doing methadone I got back on. It’s works differently with methadone. What I do is I cut them in half. I take half in the am in empty stomach an hour before my methadone dose and at night I take the rest. After 20 years of experiencing horrible constipation, also chronic inflammation , and severe fatigue, depression. Now I go 3 times a day, I lost 50 pounds. And I changed to a plant based diet. Movantik in combination with diet and exercise can be a life saver. Stick with it.”

KennyG · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2020

For Opioid-Induced Constipation: “Movantik has been a life-saver for me. I've been on opioid treatment for years and can't tell you how many times I've been scared to death because my medication causes me to back up. I've used stimulant laxatives almost daily, and they don't always work (and can cause longterm motility problems if used frequently). Movantik worked immediately when I first tried it; the first day it did cause cramping and some discomfort, but I was so relieved that the discomfort was worth it. After that first day it hasn't caused any discomfort and has allowed me to get back to normal and not have the constant anxiety about getting a blockage. I've seen a number of reviews talk about discomfort and cramping, but for me that only happened the first day and my quality of life has been greatly improved since then.”

Jlynn110530 February 1, 2021

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “I've been on high dose of methadone 10 years. I have chronic constipation. I started drinking Magnesium citrate every other day & it helps 100%. No pain or anything. Lately I've needed to drink more & more so I went to my doctor who explained that it is really bad to drink magnesium citrate as often as I do so she had me try this movantik 12.5mg. I took it, after 15 minutes I started feeling sick, my entire belly bloated out so much I looked about 7 months pregnant! Then I started violently vomiting. I went to bed, then woke up the next morning still bloated. I took another pill, again on the 3rd day I couldn't take it anymore I was going on 14 days without a decent BM...tiny pebbles here & there & whatever I could get out with a rubber glove wasn't enough! I got myself a bottle of magnesium citrate & drank the whole thing plus lots of water to clean myself out, then attempt movantik again. It did the same thing, Movantik made me sick & constipated worse than ever.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 24, 2020

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “This drug seriously interferes with my pain medication of oxy and oxycodone/acetamophen. I have to take these simultaneously for them to work on my pain so I don't know which drug or if both drugs are blocked from working when I take Movantik. If it didn't have this awful effect I would say the drug is fairly efficient. I found that it stops working when you take it every day and then will only work if you alternate days or even every two days before you will get results.”

Alice · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2020

For Opioid-Induced Constipation: “Movantik is the worst experience I have ever had within 20 minutes of taking it I was doubled over with severe stomach cramps, nausea, sweating profusely, shortness of breath and thought I was going to pass out! But after all this still no BM. It has been over and hour still having stomach cramps, nausea and sweating. I WILL NEVER TAKE MOVANTIK GAIN! I WISH I HAD NEVER TOOK THE ONE PILL! You should really think about it before you try this drug. It was one of absolutely worst experiences of my life!”

Lumbar #5 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 5, 2017

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “Wow this drug gets your GI tract moving. Daily opioid user for chronic pain and constipation was becoming such a problem, I gave in and got some samples from my Dr. 2 hours later relief! THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS HERE claiming pain and cramping.... yes after immobilizing your bowels with opioids for extended periods giving them a kick in the pants isn't going to feel good (but it will clean you out)”

Skoldrum · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2017

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “Like many people who have commented, I have been on heavy dose of opiates for 20 years with severe constipation. Dr. recommended Movantik and I took it exactly as directed, and I had horrible side effects, terrible cramping, diarrhea, sweating, hot flashes and essentially the misery of full blown withdrawal. I have a huge bottle of Movantik, and I plan to let that bottle collect dust forever. Ill try everything under the sun before I turn to that again.”

Ann2000 September 27, 2015

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “I was given samples of the 25mg dose for constipation due to methadone. I took it as prescribed, 2 hours after a meal. Within an hour, I was vomiting, has severe diarrhea, and horrible stomach cramps. I ended up calling an ambulance and spending 2 days in the hospital. All my electrolytes were out of balance, my temperature dropped to 95, I was so dehydrated they could barely get blood out of me. They kept a heart monitor on me the entire time I was in the hospital. I had to be put on morphine, the pain was so bad. I was released after 2 days but am now just starting to eat again. I am usually very tolerant of new medications, but this one could have killed me. I would NEVER recommend this to anyone.”

peaks March 9, 2021

For Opioid-Induced Constipation: “So my issue was horrible. Icould go 10+ days w/no BM, bloating & feeling like I'm walking around with a watermelon in my tummy 24/7. I was very painful. I take two pills everyday, no matter the time. The first few days a bit of discomfort, but thats to be expected with all thats stopped-up in your system. The big difference - the stools are finally soft - no more pushing or just sitting there on the toilet for goodness knows how long getting fissures and other butt issues which are just as painful. Maybe the dose has to do with weight or I have an iron stomach after being on meds for so long but movantik is a godsend. I may not go every single day , but I will take every other day and a little cramping to clear myself out, also h20 h20 h20...”

Grand Poo Bah · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2016

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “Like most of you, I just could not go, and when I did I was stranded on the pot wishing for a quick death. I tried everything, but I am taking Morphine, muscle relaxers, neurontin and more...nothing worked. Finally I asked my doctor about Movantic. He wrote me a script immediately, sent me home with samples too, Mind you, I had not gone for over a week, day one with Movantic and I had a religous experience on the pot. I did have the cramps and lots of gas but the trade off was worth it. I am on my second month with Movantic, and can say it is truly a blessing to poop again. So sorry most of these posts are such bad experiences. I have nothing but happy feelings for this super pooper drug.”

Ow! December 5, 2019

For Opioid-Induced Constipation: “I've taken this pill 2x months apart. Both docs insisted it wouldn't put me into ANY form of withdrawal, gut or otherwise. I took a whole pill the 1st time & it sent me right into withdrawal. Blood pressure up, sweats, cold, anxious, restless legs/body, awful. On top of that it gave me horrendous stomach pains I was crying & moaning, it felt like labor pains almost, plus nausea. I couldn't take care of my daughter. Took extra methadone but it didn't help. 7 hrs later I was cleaned out but exhausted & scared but it finally slowed down, still had mild cramps for hrs after. 2nd time I took less than half a pill & it was the same except I wasn't in as bad of withdrawal, I vomited so hard & painfully over & over, was seeing double, I didn't get cleaned out I ended up just having a normal sized bowel movement. Headache both times. Want so badly to not be constipated anymore that I want to see if it gets easier but I am so scared. Nothing works. I don't know what to do...”

Bobby · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 3, 2020

For Opioid-Induced Constipation: “This Movantik was a godsend for me. Pain medication caused severe constipation to the point I was taking stimulant laxatives almost daily with only minimal success. The first day of taking 12.5 mg Movantik I had some severe cramping and stomach pain, but it worked. After the first day I had no more cramps. I’ve found it works best if you take it first thing in the morning. When I’ve taken it later in the day it seems to do nothing, and if you stop taking it for several days you go back to day 1 as far as cramps go. It’s not perfect, but it’s a godsend for people on opioids who have almost panicked to death because of days of no motility. Highly recommend, just know on Day 1 you may have discomfort due to days/weeks of backlog.”

Art · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 27, 2019

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “I have been taking Movantik for a year now . At first administration I had some cramping from the stools moving within the intestines . They were a little painful in the beginning but after continuing treatment it is working good for me . I have a bowel movement every morning . I'm on Oxycodone 30mg x 5 a day . Movantik was the only medicine that works compared to all others . I take it as soon as I wake up, an hour later a BM, then I’m good for the day .”

Queene November 24, 2019

For Opioid-Induced Constipation: “My Doctor put me on this medicine cause I couldn’t go to the bathroom. I took one pill at 6.30 in the morning by 10 o’clock I had gone to bathroom three times stomach hurt so bad I couldn’t stand it it was that way for hours. got a real weird feeling in my body shaking cold anxious sick to stomach.12 hours later I’m still sick to my stomach cold anxious I only took one pill and the rest are going in the garbage This pill should be taken off the market”

Frodo Baggins · Taken for less than 1 month September 23, 2016

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “Do not take this medication!!! 30 Min after i took it. I had the worst stomach cramps and pains I have ever encountered. Finally after I got everything out I started feeling withdrawal symptoms. I tried to take my Methadone dose so the withdrawal would go away but it didn't help. Im sitting here right now wondering how long this shit stays in my system and thinking about how bad I want to curse my Dr. out. I just wanted to crap not go into full withdrawal. WTF”

MzCat · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 2, 2015

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “After using Relistor shots as needed for my OIC (opiod induced constipation) (which caused extreme stomach cramps and diarrhea, but it's very affective), my PM doc put me on Movantik. I didn't see results that were nearly as drastic but it seemed to kind of work. *It seems that my pain meds aren't as effective with Movantik in my system*. I've had withdrawl symptoms: sweats, cramping, anxiety, yawning profusely, agitation, and my anxiety level has gone through the roof..not worth it. It's produced BM's on occasion but I'll stick to my stool softeners, laxatives, and drinking lots of water. I don't like the idea of having another addictive drug in my body to counteract symptoms from the first one. And feeling like crap is not a good trade. GOOD LUCK!”

HersheySquirt · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 12, 2018

For Opioid-Induced Constipation: “People...please do not start with a complete pill! I take a quarter piece every other day and have been blown away with how effective this medication has been. I didn't know my body could hold that much!”

MS Jen M September 19, 2015

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “I've had very severe constipation for years due to my daily need for oxycodone and morphine. I've tried everything with little relief so that's why I gave this a try. It was the worst day of my life! I took it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. About 30 mins after taking it I had a bowel movement...yeah right? About 2 mins after I started having SEVERE intestinal cramps! So bad I could hardly breathe! I also got severe chills and had goose bumps all over my body. I continued to have a bowel movement every 15-20 mins for the next 3 hours. The whole time having extremely painful cramping, nausea, sweats, chills, goosebumps... It cleaned me out that's for sure. But it was not worth the pain and it wiped me out the whole day!!”

Snowflake September 5, 2020

For Opioid-Induced Constipation: “I have been on methadone for 9 years and I have extremely bad constipation from it. A few months ago I was in the ER for constipation related problems and the ER doctor gave me a prescription for Symproic. It worked great for awhile but didn't last long so my GI doctor prescribed me Movantik. I took it a little before bedtime, about 20 minutes later I started getting painful cramps and sweating, 15 minutes after that I had a small BM. The cramps lasted about 2 hours and by that time I was in full withdrawal. I was in withdrawal all night until I took my methadone the next morning, I wasn't able to get much sleep. The Movantik did work, and the cramps were bearable, but the withdrawal was too much for me, I do not think it is worth it to take this everyday, but if you don't mind the withdrawal this medication may be worth it to you.”

JWD2015 · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2015

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “Amitiza has worked well for over two years to control constipation which is a direct result of opioids taken for pain control. However my doctor gave me a box of Movantik to try instead. NEVER AGAIN! Within a short period of time my colon began cramping for several hours. Initially I hoped that a bowel movement would reduce the pain. It did not! I then got diarrhea. Not wanting to call 911, I tried to breath deeply as I went from chills to sweats to chills & the cramping continued.Praying not to throw up but when I did, it was SO VIOLENT that it went through one of my nostrils. I had peritonitis 20 years ago, and it is a toss up which was worse. Childbirth wasn't as severe. I'll never again try this pill even at a lesser dosage.”

EMSGuy September 24, 2015

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “I am on opoids for chronic back pain. Used Miralax and Metamucil but was bowel movements irregular and felt like I was emptying out was backing up. Tried 25mg on empty stomach at 3pm yesterday for first time. Started having cramps. Called my doc and added a suppository. Twenty minutes later had massive BM over 30 minutes. None after that. This morning, woke up in withdrawal, cold, nausea, abdominal cramps, horrible pain and feeling lousy. Odd as my last pain med dose was six hours before, and I do not get withdrawals that quickly. My morning pain meds fixed withdrawals but was still in significant pain until 1pm after second pain med dose at 12. Seems to decrease pain reducing effects of opiods.”

Charm83 · Taken for less than 1 month March 21, 2016

For Constipation, Drug Induced: “I took Movantik on a Saturday morning and 15 minutes later I started having gas like pain, sharp pain in the upper abdomen and it just moved to my intestines. It felt like contractions so it felt like a stomach spasm. The pain level went from a 5 to a 200 in no time. I remember telling my husband to drive me to ER because I've never felt that before. So sure enough. 3 minutes into our drive I started vomiting violently and the stomach spasms were just 1,000 times worse. I would rather have 3 children in a row than go through that pain. At least I knew after that 3rd baby I would be done. I couldn't stop vomiting. The ER kept thinking I was on it to take me off the painkillers. Nobody understood me I just wanted to die.”