User Reviews for Movantik

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Movantik.

Opioid-Induced Constipation
5.8

Constipation, Drug Induced
4.6

Constipation, Chronic

Summary of Movantik reviews 3.8 150 reviews

Reviews for Movantik

For Constipation, Drug Induced "I have been on opioids for 20 years at least. So constipation kind of rules my life. I too ended up in emergency twice, but all they did was give me an enema which never works for me. I saw a Movantik add on tv, so I asked my Dr. if I should try it. He agreed and wrote me a prescription. When I got home I took one, and it had no effect at all. Just nothing. So I decided to check the reviews on this drug and people have had just too many problems with pain , cramps, all sorts of awful things. Since it didn't work, I felt lucky. I don't want to go through the pain."

fibrohellstorm November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "I've been using opioids for about 9 years now. Spinal surgeries had me using morphine, Fentanyl, Dilaudid and Norco at various times over the years. I have been using Norco (2 to 6 tablets per day) and MS Contin (twice a day) for the past 2 years. Dr. suggested Movantik and gave me samples. It worked as advertised for the first 3 or 4 times but then started giving me diarrhea. I take it at 6 AM but it takes 3 or 4 hours for the symptoms to subside and I am very weak afterwards. During this time I am unable to leave the house. I have a life and need to be places early. I guess I will try cutting the pill in half or go without breakfast and then take the regular dose."

Mr. Backpain (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "This drug never worked for me. It caused withdrawal symptoms and almost killed me!! I was in 10 times more pain because it was causing me to withdraw from my pain meds. I do not recommend anyone take this horrible drug!!! Doctors just write it to make money and do not check to see how awful the side affects are!!"

Keke2054 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Frankly, I’m surprised by the bad reviews. My constipation is severe. It at one point sent me to the emergency room. Reason? A stimulant laxative. Never again. I have never been a “1/2 pill is too much girl”. Movantik doesn’t overwhelm my body. My husband lost his mother to a burst bowel so he is especially concerned. Never was a “poop a day girl” either. Having found Movantik is why I’m breathing a sigh of relief. If I can ever get off the opioids, it will be a happy day. But until then, I thank the Movantic developers. True I, on occasion, will take a nausea pill but I did that before Movantik. Now you can’t pry it from my cold dead hands!!! It helps me and our piece of mind to have Movantik assist me."

Mama Suzi November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "My doctor gave me some samples of Movantik as well as an Rx for it. Took first pill on an empty stomach one hour before a meal as directed. Cramps started about an hour after taking it. Cramps increased in intensity over the next few hours until I was experiencing the worst stomach pains of my life. I've actually gone to the ER for stomach pain less severe than this. Initial normal bowel movement quickly turned into total diarrhea (with the most horrible odor imaginable). Additional side effects included intense nausea and just an overall feeling of being very sick. These symptoms continued for an agonizing 8 to 10 hours. I reported the side effects to my doctor and he advised against taking any more of it. This drug is a nightmare"

Jerry S. November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Within 40 minutes I was in the bathroom with profuse sweating and intense abdominal pain. It is now 5 hours later and the abdominal pain is still there. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Please take this off the market !"

Distraught in dowagiac November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Just started it Was using colace and prune juice. Worked better for me. Have not gone to the bathroom in two days. Will call my doctor and let him know. Feels like I have to go but can't. What a pain."

moonstruck15601 (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "I think it’s crazy that medicine specifically prescribed to opioid users will cause opioid withdrawal. Forget that! Take Linzess ! I’ve been on Suboxone for 3 years. I’ve had terrible constipation and when I would finally go, it would be rock solid and extremely painful. Linzess has been life changing. I go everyday. I’m on the highest dosage, the low dosage did absolutely nothing at all. Being constipated is a big deal. It’s awful! My heart goes out to anyone who suffers from it."

Emilylindy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "OMG!! I didn't go to the bathroom for almost a month I did go a little not much than I started to get wicked bad heart burn, so I said let me try the movantik again, within 15 mins I began to sweat profusely I'm not kidding,. I was drenched with sweat and had cramps so bad I thought I died, and the chills I couldn't believe that this could actually do this to someone, and the throwing up was also horrible!! No lie I thought I was puking poop, I was so grossed out and I'm still sweating like no tomorrow and it's been 2 days now since I took a dose of it, I'm glad it works for some but I wouldn't give that to my worse enemy!! That stuff is just horrible!! I've been on methadone for almost 18 years now for back pain failed surgery, fusion and scs failed."

Cynhow October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Third day on Movantik. No difference at all. Does it take a while for it to begin working? I wouldn’t see why? Disappointed!"

IanMistakaniov October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "I have sensory neuropathy and have been taking to opioids for chronic pain for 7 years. For six years I had continuous constipation and had to do use two bucket enemas per week. I tried movantik for 4 weeks and there was no effect. I tried Amitiza also for 4 weeks, and there was no effect. My GI said both must be taken. Now I have not had to have a bucket enema for six weeks, it's fantastic to be almost normal as far as bowel movements go."

Vince San Antonio TX (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Last year I had both my hips replaced (at 2 separate times) and was prescribed opioids. Within days I had horrible constipation, tried the over the counters first suggested by my surgeon with no relief. I addressed this with my surgeon during my followup visit and asked him about Movantik, I remember seeing the commercial. He stated that he never heard of it before, looked it up and gave me a script. Took Movantik the next morning by that evening I had my first bowel moment and felt so much better. I did experience a little cramping but I would take that over the constipation any day. Was only on my opoid for two weeks so stopped the Movantik at the same time. I was just shocked how my surgeon had never heard of Movantik before."

HJB3 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Works well IF you are meticulous with instructions. My notes: Reliable if taken FIRST THING in the morning with nothing else and full glass of water. Don't eat or ingest for 1+ hrs. If you take a whole tablet after 3-5 days of no BM, expect 4+ bathroom events with 1 life-altering. Don't wait until 5 days have passed. Take a HALF pill every 2-3 days. Then two or three fairly normal events. It will not work as well if you take it later in the day and if you have eaten something that day expect only a 25% function. If you MUST take it later in the day wait for 3 hours after eating and don't eat for several hours. For me it causes slight physical withdrawal symptoms. Used discount card for $20 copay (online)."

RealAce September 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "Made me so sick for about 8 hours and no bm. This medicine is dangerous!! I would have called 911 but was in so much pain I couldn't even speak!!"

Victim of big Pharma September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "I have been taking opiates for ten years with the common side effect of constipation so my Dr prescribed Movantick. It worked but I really thought I was going to die . The cramps sweating head spinning and yes it cleanse you out with the worse smell ever experienced. If you use this be ready to suffer"

Markman (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Been on methadone for a year now, currently at 30mg and tapering down. Tried Movantik and had horrible side effects-intense abdominal pain, stomach spasms which caused uncontrollable vomiting, sweating, withdrawal symptoms that put me in bed for the day. Almost went to ER. THANK YOU to the person who posted on Feb 26th! Magnesium Oxide 500mg and Docusate Sodium stool softener 100mg...I never thought I'd go from clumped marbles, hard as rocks to a smooth, non-painful BM but this has done wonders for me. Took 3-4 of each at night to start and I was blown away. Now taking 1-2 of each and it's still working. I just wish I knew about this months ago. Buy generic, less than $10 at Walmart. Give it a try if Movantik has failed you!"

Not for Methadone! (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "Been taking Movantik for 2 1/2 months. At first it seemed to be working great, no side effects with normal daily bowl movements and was thrilled. Then last month, I noticed being nauseous about an hour after taking my morning dose (the literature recommends taking your dose in the morning, 1 hour before your first meal. Usually after eating, it resolved but then I started having random sudden severe cramping and nausea, cold soaking sweats, feeling extremely dizzy, and bad diarrhea ultimately. I didn't realize it was the movantik until I stopped it for a few days. Felt fine and then after restarting it happened all over. I guess that's withdrawal then? Had no idea but figured out it was the movantik causing the all the symptoms!"

aisllling (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "I have been dealing with chronic pain for over 5 years, in which I've had to take opioids on and off. After 3 failed surgeries in attempt to relieve my pain, I decided to see a pain management Dr. who has put me on a daily regimen of opiates. I've tried Amitiza, Linzess, and of course fiber, Miralax, laxatives and enemas. None of these have worked like Movantik. It's been truly a miracle drug. I take it first thing in the morning with my other meds and coffee, but I don't eat until an hour later as the directions say, and it works every time. I've never had diarrhea, horrible stomach cramps, nausea, etc. It just makes me have a large, normal and complete BM in the morning and that's it. It's been a life saver for me."

Nurse87lan August 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "I have to take daily opiates due to chronic back pain despite three back surgeries, including lumbar fusion. I tried everything but always would ultimately get backed up. I tried Movantik at one point a couple years ago, but it gave me bad stomach cramps, so I quit. At that time, I had some partial impaction. I recently did a magnesium citrate flush, like prepping for a colonoscopy. I then tried Movatik again and have a bowel movement within an hour or so. I do get some stomach cramps but only for 1-2 hours. Taking 1-2 doses of Miralax a day can help if stool is hard. The big negative is cost."

Daily Back Pain Person (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "My Gastroenterologist put me on Movantek 1 time a day for OIC. This is day 5 and I've been to the bathroom 3 times. Ugh! I was hoping this was going to be the "magic bullet" I've been searching for. I've tried EVERY stool softener, laxative out there from the cheapest to the most expensive, including enemas & suppositories. To my dismay this isn't working well. When I do have a bowel movement it's a couple hard balls. Nothing complete or simple. I STILL have to strain and lucky to go 3 times a month!! I just had a hysterectomy and no straining allowed. So, back to searching. I have NOT and will NOT have withdrawal symptoms due to the fact it works in the gut NOT the brain and it will NOT block your opioid pain meds from working. 51 yo fem."

Kind of works (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Hi I've been taking movantic once in the morning for a month, and it does nothing for me. I'm so disappointed because I've tried everything. I go 5 to 7 days without bowel movements. I'm at a loss of what to do next I hope my gastro dr. has a plan. The only things I've experienced from movantic are gas and severe cramping. .."

Kandiandsteve July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "I can't believe Movantik has such terrible reviews. It's because of these reviews that I was scared to try it for 2 months after I got it. Then one day, I decided to try it for myself. This medicine is wonderful!! I would of gave it a 10, but you do get slight cramping and gas. In my opinion the benefits outweigh the cramps and gas."

The.Ice.Princess (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "It's too effective I can't stop going. I took one dose 25 min later the gurgle then OMG. It's been 4 hrs now I've slowed down. I'm afraid to eat or drink anything. I just wanted a normal bm. I guess it was to much to hope for."

Sorsha July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "Got a 3-day sample and worked so well I felt like a normal human pooping for once. An hour after taking pill in the morning I'd have perfect thorough poops. Wow! Miraculous! Went through hell and high water to get prescription covered by AHCCCS only to find it no longer works. What? No side effects. Just nothing but the occasional half-assed soft stool. Sigh....back to the drawing board."

Disappointing (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "Its my first dose. Its been 2 hrs now used the restroom real lightly. The pain is gas. Blew a big fart and had a small bowel motion. Same as Miralax, just wind and a little bit of poo."

tnt1234 July 16, 2017