User Reviews for Movantik

Learn more about Movantik.

Opioid-Induced Constipation 23 reviews 4 medications

6.1
Constipation, Drug Induced 118 reviews 3 medications

4.6
Constipation, Chronic 3 reviews 30 medications

Summary of Movantik reviews 144 reviews 3.9

Reviews for Movantik

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Just started it Was using colace and prune juice. Worked better for me. Have not gone to the bathroom in two days. Will call my doctor and let him know. Feels like I have to go but can't. What a pain."

moonstruck15601 (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "I think it’s crazy that medicine specifically prescribed to opioid users will cause opioid withdrawal. Forget that! Take Linzess ! I’ve been on Suboxone for 3 years. I’ve had terrible constipation and when I would finally go, it would be rock solid and extremely painful. Linzess has been life changing. I go everyday. I’m on the highest dosage, the low dosage did absolutely nothing at all. Being constipated is a big deal. It’s awful! My heart goes out to anyone who suffers from it."

Emilylindy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "OMG!! I didn't go to the bathroom for almost a month I did go a little not much than I started to get wicked bad heart burn, so I said let me try the movantik again, within 15 mins I began to sweat profusely I'm not kidding,. I was drenched with sweat and had cramps so bad I thought I died, and the chills I couldn't believe that this could actually do this to someone, and the throwing up was also horrible!! No lie I thought I was puking poop, I was so grossed out and I'm still sweating like no tomorrow and it's been 2 days now since I took a dose of it, I'm glad it works for some but I wouldn't give that to my worse enemy!! That stuff is just horrible!! I've been on methadone for almost 18 years now for back pain failed surgery, fusion and scs failed."

Cynhow October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Third day on Movantik. No difference at all. Does it take a while for it to begin working? I wouldn’t see why? Disappointed!"

IanMistakaniov October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "I have sensory neuropathy and have been taking to opioids for chronic pain for 7 years. For six years I had continuous constipation and had to do use two bucket enemas per week. I tried movantik for 4 weeks and there was no effect. I tried Amitiza also for 4 weeks, and there was no effect. My GI said both must be taken. Now I have not had to have a bucket enema for six weeks, it's fantastic to be almost normal as far as bowel movements go."

Vince San Antonio TX (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Last year I had both my hips replaced (at 2 separate times) and was prescribed opioids. Within days I had horrible constipation, tried the over the counters first suggested by my surgeon with no relief. I addressed this with my surgeon during my followup visit and asked him about Movantik, I remember seeing the commercial. He stated that he never heard of it before, looked it up and gave me a script. Took Movantik the next morning by that evening I had my first bowel moment and felt so much better. I did experience a little cramping but I would take that over the constipation any day. Was only on my opoid for two weeks so stopped the Movantik at the same time. I was just shocked how my surgeon had never heard of Movantik before."

HJB3 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Works well IF you are meticulous with instructions. My notes: Reliable if taken FIRST THING in the morning with nothing else and full glass of water. Don't eat or ingest for 1+ hrs. If you take a whole tablet after 3-5 days of no BM, expect 4+ bathroom events with 1 life-altering. Don't wait until 5 days have passed. Take a HALF pill every 2-3 days. Then two or three fairly normal events. It will not work as well if you take it later in the day and if you have eaten something that day expect only a 25% function. If you MUST take it later in the day wait for 3 hours after eating and don't eat for several hours. For me it causes slight physical withdrawal symptoms. Used discount card for $20 copay (online)."

RealAce September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "Made me so sick for about 8 hours and no bm. This medicine is dangerous!! I would have called 911 but was in so much pain I couldn't even speak!!"

Victim of big Pharma September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "I have been taking opiates for ten years with the common side effect of constipation so my Dr prescribed Movantick. It worked but I really thought I was going to die . The cramps sweating head spinning and yes it cleanse you out with the worse smell ever experienced. If you use this be ready to suffer"

Markman (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Been on methadone for a year now, currently at 30mg and tapering down. Tried Movantik and had horrible side effects-intense abdominal pain, stomach spasms which caused uncontrollable vomiting, sweating, withdrawal symptoms that put me in bed for the day. Almost went to ER. THANK YOU to the person who posted on Feb 26th! Magnesium Oxide 500mg and Docusate Sodium stool softener 100mg...I never thought I'd go from clumped marbles, hard as rocks to a smooth, non-painful BM but this has done wonders for me. Took 3-4 of each at night to start and I was blown away. Now taking 1-2 of each and it's still working. I just wish I knew about this months ago. Buy generic, less than $10 at Walmart. Give it a try if Movantik has failed you!"

Not for Methadone! (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "Been taking Movantik for 2 1/2 months. At first it seemed to be working great, no side effects with normal daily bowl movements and was thrilled. Then last month, I noticed being nauseous about an hour after taking my morning dose (the literature recommends taking your dose in the morning, 1 hour before your first meal. Usually after eating, it resolved but then I started having random sudden severe cramping and nausea, cold soaking sweats, feeling extremely dizzy, and bad diarrhea ultimately. I didn't realize it was the movantik until I stopped it for a few days. Felt fine and then after restarting it happened all over. I guess that's withdrawal then? Had no idea but figured out it was the movantik causing the all the symptoms!"

aisllling (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "I have been dealing with chronic pain for over 5 years, in which I've had to take opioids on and off. After 3 failed surgeries in attempt to relieve my pain, I decided to see a pain management Dr. who has put me on a daily regimen of opiates. I've tried Amitiza, Linzess, and of course fiber, Miralax, laxatives and enemas. None of these have worked like Movantik. It's been truly a miracle drug. I take it first thing in the morning with my other meds and coffee, but I don't eat until an hour later as the directions say, and it works every time. I've never had diarrhea, horrible stomach cramps, nausea, etc. It just makes me have a large, normal and complete BM in the morning and that's it. It's been a life saver for me."

Nurse87lan August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "I have to take daily opiates due to chronic back pain despite three back surgeries, including lumbar fusion. I tried everything but always would ultimately get backed up. I tried Movantik at one point a couple years ago, but it gave me bad stomach cramps, so I quit. At that time, I had some partial impaction. I recently did a magnesium citrate flush, like prepping for a colonoscopy. I then tried Movatik again and have a bowel movement within an hour or so. I do get some stomach cramps but only for 1-2 hours. Taking 1-2 doses of Miralax a day can help if stool is hard. The big negative is cost."

Daily Back Pain Person (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "My Gastroenterologist put me on Movantek 1 time a day for OIC. This is day 5 and I've been to the bathroom 3 times. Ugh! I was hoping this was going to be the "magic bullet" I've been searching for. I've tried EVERY stool softener, laxative out there from the cheapest to the most expensive, including enemas & suppositories. To my dismay this isn't working well. When I do have a bowel movement it's a couple hard balls. Nothing complete or simple. I STILL have to strain and lucky to go 3 times a month!! I just had a hysterectomy and no straining allowed. So, back to searching. I have NOT and will NOT have withdrawal symptoms due to the fact it works in the gut NOT the brain and it will NOT block your opioid pain meds from working. 51 yo fem."

Kind of works (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Hi I've been taking movantic once in the morning for a month, and it does nothing for me. I'm so disappointed because I've tried everything. I go 5 to 7 days without bowel movements. I'm at a loss of what to do next I hope my gastro dr. has a plan. The only things I've experienced from movantic are gas and severe cramping. .."

Kandiandsteve July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "I can't believe Movantik has such terrible reviews. It's because of these reviews that I was scared to try it for 2 months after I got it. Then one day, I decided to try it for myself. This medicine is wonderful!! I would of gave it a 10, but you do get slight cramping and gas. In my opinion the benefits outweigh the cramps and gas."

The.Ice.Princess (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "It's too effective I can't stop going. I took one dose 25 min later the gurgle then OMG. It's been 4 hrs now I've slowed down. I'm afraid to eat or drink anything. I just wanted a normal bm. I guess it was to much to hope for."

Sorsha July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "Got a 3-day sample and worked so well I felt like a normal human pooping for once. An hour after taking pill in the morning I'd have perfect thorough poops. Wow! Miraculous! Went through hell and high water to get prescription covered by AHCCCS only to find it no longer works. What? No side effects. Just nothing but the occasional half-assed soft stool. Sigh....back to the drawing board."

Disappointing (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "Its my first dose. Its been 2 hrs now used the restroom real lightly. The pain is gas. Blew a big fart and had a small bowel motion. Same as Miralax, just wind and a little bit of poo."

tnt1234 July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Just took my first Movantik pill 25 mins ago. Nothing yet I will update."

Fastymzs July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "I all of a sudden, after years of constipation I tried everything! My Dr. Gave me the sample pack 3/ 25mgs and its my 3rd day,I took before bed and had a normal bowl movement every day since!!!I never felt so bloated until I started taking movantik."

jennajb July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "My pain management doc has me on time release morphine for spinal injuries because other modalities have not worked. Of course, I have severe constipation. Was given samples of Movantik. I took one pill and within one half hour, had severe cramping and within one hour, total diarrhea. Also had some withdrawal symptoms. I waited a few days, became constipated again and thought I would try it again. Same effect again except this time, I am three days out from taking the Movantik and I am still experiencing withdrawal symptoms...nervousness, runny nose, anxiety, headache and nausea. I have reported the adverse reactions to my doc and will be reporting them to the FDA as well. I am a 67 year old male."

Greg434 (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "This medication SHOULD NOT be used if a person has had an ORGAN TRANSPLANT. My husband had a heart transplant in October 2016, and was taking opioids from a mechanical heart that was put in between his ribs as a bridge to transplant. He was prescribed Movantic for constipation. He had two weeks of terrible watery diarrhea. After being hospitalized, he was almost in renal failure, and his anti-rejection was off the charts."

griffi (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Do not try this medication I honestly thought I was going to die 2 hours in the toilet coming out both ends. My toilet looked like something out of a horror film. I literally felt like I was going to die. Being a female the cramps felt like labor contractions, worst pain of my life. This medication needs to be turned in to the FDA!!! Humans should not be their science pigs for this drug. Especially being that we are put on this because we are already in pain- this drug is like taking a death pill!!!! Dangerous! Please stick to an over the counter medication for constipation, I would rather be constipated any day than go through what happened to me. I gave this medication 2 weeks and one night woke up with cramps like I was in labor!!!!!!!!!!!"

Do not be rat for this drug (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "I just started taking this and it works. I have been taking hydrocodone with codeine 10mg for a few months and had horrible constipation. Miralax and other products didn't work. Yes, with Movantik it can be uncomfortable... but I never had any of the other issues. I did get a little dizzy, but nothing serious that would send me to the ER."

Lilysmommy (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017