User Reviews for Moxifloxacin to treat Sinusitis

Also known as: Avelox, Avelox I.V.

Moxifloxacin has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 64 ratings for the treatment of Sinusitis. 55% of those users who reviewed Moxifloxacin reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Moxifloxacin Rating Summary

6.4/10 average rating

Compare all 173 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Moxifloxacin

Nena · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2021

“It is my third day taking moxifloxacin and the truth is that it is a very strong medicine, but on the second dose I was able to breathe much better but the pain that it caused me in my back was unbearable, my treatment is for 14 days and the truth is I don't know if I can continue it”

Lizzy · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2020

“I’ve had chronic sinusitis for years. Surgery, allergy testing, all sorts of medications, sinus rinse, antibiotics in the sinus rinses, have tried everything. Antibiotics in the sinus rinse are greatly effective but gave me oral thrush. Levaquin caused tendinitis in my elbow so I was very leary of this “cousin” quinolone drug. I was prescribed 14 days, but only taken 4 doses so far. The good news is my sore ear, throat and sinuses are much improved!! The insomnia and fuzzy head are pretty unpleasant but I’m so glad to feel better that I’m sticking with it. Trying to decide whether to take all 14 doses. I need to be able to go back to work in 3 more days. Praying I’ll be well enough to stop taking it by then.”

Iamsan · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2019

“This is the third round of antibiotics for an ongoing sinus infection. I am on day 16 and have 5 days left. I have not had any of the side effects mentioned in the other posts. I do take it before bed so that may be why. I have had a sore throat for 7 months and the day after taking my first pill it went away. I am suffering from major weight gain the past 7 days which is brutal. Just over 10 lbs. Hoping once my treatment is complete the weight goes away.”

flowerladytoo · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2015

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I was given Avelox after other medicines just didn't clear up my sinus infection. It worked with noticeable relief in a couple days, and by my last dose I was back to my old self. I had been treated for six weeks previously, with 4 different antibiotics that just didn't clear this up. Very thankful for this!”

Anonymous December 27, 2011

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “The first three days on Avelox were difficult. It made me feel disoriented, dizzy and sleepy. I had to rearrange my days to accommodate a 2 hour nap everytime I took it. I got used to the medicine by day 4...so give it time. It cleared up my sinus and double ear infection which persisted after full courses of both Augmentin and Bactrim. Also, I did not feel better until about 4-5 days on the medicine, so don't feel discouraged if you don't feel great right away.”

BlueEeyore March 15, 2008

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Whenever I get a nasty respiratory infection that won't go away, despite multiple rounds of antibiotics, Avelox has done the trick. I'm currently using it for sinusitis and bronchitis that I've had for 3 months. After 2 days of Avelox, I feel substantially better.”

Kaiyasmom · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2013

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I took a 10 day dose 1 year ago for a sinus infection, and only remember feeling much better in a short time. Since I was already miserable, I don't remember having any adverse reactions. Recently, I got a 7 day dose for another sinus infection and an ear infection, and I felt good on day 3 and 4 with only mild nausea and dizziness. Taking it on a full stomach helped. I started to feel poor on day 5 and developed a terrible headache that lasted 2 days. By day 7, I developed severe fatigue, muscle, tendon and joint pain. I agree with other reviews, in that this is a very effective medicine, but the side effects can be severe. I am glad to hear that these go away in a few days.”

Hels bells September 22, 2013

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “A good target specific antibiotic for upper respiratory tract infection and lower respiratory tract infections together with sinusitis which works fast and I experienced no side effects bar taste being affected but only temporarily.”

Anonymous March 18, 2016

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I have taken Avelox on several occasions for sinusitis and bronchitis and within two doses, I always feel 10 times better! I am aware that dizziness and nausea can be side effects, but since I have taken it before bed, this has never been an issue. I am surprised at the number of people who try to take it during the day - take it at night and you will tolerate it just fine”

Anonymous July 7, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I tried so many antibiotics for a sinus infection that lasted over 3 months. My doctor finally decided to prescribe Avelox because it is one of the stronger antibiotics (at least that is what she told me). Within 3 days I honestly could feel relief. I was so happy to have finally found something that worked. About 1 1/2 years later I had another sinus infection and my doctor put me on Avelox right way. Again, within 2-3 days there was so much relief. I never had any side effects that I knew of.”

shelley l January 28, 2010

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Have had a sinus infection for two weeks with a round of azithromycin that didn't work. My doctor prescribed Avelox and I was pretty scared after reading some of the side effects others have had. I'm on day 4 and my sinus infection is so much better and the coughing from my bronchitis is almost gone. So much better! Only side effect is not being able to fall asleep.”

NatalieY February 2, 2010

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I was prescribed Avelox for severe bronchitis, ear infection, and throat infection. I took the first pill and drank most of a 20 oz. bottle of water. Within 20 minutes I fell asleep, and napped for about 2 hrs. When I woke up, the throbbing pain in my ear was gone, and the swelling in my throat was significantly better! I couldn't believe it after one dose and only a 2hr nap! This medicine worked wonders for me, and I had no side effects at all, that I know of. But then again, with bronchitis, a throat infection, and an ear infection all at once, I probably wouldn't have noticed if I did!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2012

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I suffer from sinus infections about every two months that lead into bronchitis within days of the first symptom. Usually I get the Zpack but have been on Augmentin and Ceftin trying to find something that works better. This time the clinic doctor prescribed the Avelox and I am on day 3 right now, my sinuses are draining, and the tightness in my chest is better. Unfortunately I am getting horrible diarrhea now, which is not fun when you are coughing a lot.”

Rinderoo December 26, 2010

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Recurring sinus infections sent me to the doctor again after a Z-pack didn't work. Brought home the Avelox and was scared to take it after reading other peoples' reactions and problems. Have taken three pills now and I am noticeably better. Sinus headache gone, and even my ears feel better too (reduced tinnitus.) Previously took Levaquin years ago and had some anxiety, so I was expecting not to feel good with the Avelox. Only problem thus far is minor nausea, but I just take it with food and stay upright and busy as to not notice the wooziness. No serious reaction and the nausea is tolerable so I will continue to take it.”

Anonymous September 20, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I know everybody's body is different and reacts differently to medications but after the second dose I was tingly all over, headache, severe anxiety, muscle aches, weakness, tired, dry mouth, impulsiveness. Just be careful!”

Aveloxsux September 19, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I took one pill and had a severe allergic reaction to it in less than a half hour. It started with stomach pain, blood in the stool, rash, swelling and shortness of breath. I had a seizure, my husband called the ambulance and ended up in the hospital. Scary experience and I want to let everyone know how horrible this drug is.”

Anonymous March 7, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I have chronic sinusitis and have taken many different antibiotics including cefazolin, erythromycin, azithromycin, augmentin, and ampicillin. I have never felt the nearly immediate relief with any of these that I felt when I took Avelox.”

Anonymous December 20, 2011

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “On day 3 of 7 being treated for Pneumonia, Sinusitis and Ear Infection. PROS: I can breathe again. I feel like the pressure in my chest is lifting. My ear pain is almost completely gone. CONS: Extreme fatigue, Severe body pain (hands, wrists, ankles and knees), Insomnia”

Anonymous April 7, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I suffer from COPD. When I get a respiratory infection of any kind it is a big problem. When I take Avelox the symptoms are gone before they get out of hand, 2 or 3 doses and I feel great again. Personally, I have not experienced any side effects. Have used the drug 3 times now.”

Anonymous October 21, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I was put on Avelox after Augmentum didn't work over a period of time and my symptoms were worsening. I had relief within twenty four hours. I have found that Biaxin XL works well too if it is prescribed immediately instead of wasting time with Augmentin or Ceftin. Avelox is a big gun though, and should really only be used if other antibiotics fail.”

Healthyandhappy October 12, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I suffer from sinusitis probably 3-4 times a year and everytime I go to my regular doctor he would prescribe, amoxicillin. I found this drug to take up to 2-3 days to begin its effect, but also had to deal with 3 tablets a day for 10 days. Recently I contracted it, and amoxicillin failed to rid me of my sickness so my doctor gave me avelox. This is my third day on it and almost all the symptoms have disappeared. Probably the only problem I've experienced with this is mild-moderate nausea when first ingesting the pill. This lasted anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Other than that, even on the first day I could feel myself feeling better. Definitely will choose this route next time.”

ckosinski February 16, 2010

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “This is only the second day I have been on it, and already notice a tremendous improvement. I took my first dose yesterday afternoon, and when I woke up this morning I could tell my ears felt much better, as did the never-ending sinus headache. No bad side effects for me so far, and they would have to be very bad for me to quit taking this! Finally, RELIEF!”

Anonymous November 17, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “After years of sinus infections my germs sneer at the usual antibiotics. Augmentin and Ceftin do nothing, in fact I got more sick everyday on Ceftin. Avelox has been the magic bullet for me and I really don't have any side effects. This doesn't mean someone out there won't be allergic to it, but I am not. Relief begins within hours of the first dose.”

amiga March 16, 2012

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “If you take SSRI's (antidepressants) for anxiety and/or depression, watch it while on this medicine. In addition to the dizziness, lightheadedness, and stomach problems, it might reduce the overall effectiveness of your SSRI.”

Anonymous January 12, 2011

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “The medicine worked great to counter my sinusitis and I was breathing better after just one dose. But the side effects are almost unbearable. Nausea, dizziness, headache, lightheaded, dry mouth and constipation. The dizziness and lightheadedness kicks in after about an hour of taking the pill and lasts for about 5 hours. Very difficult to function normally and trying to work while taking this medicine. ”

Moko · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2016

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Very powerful med. Doc prescribed for my sinus infection. Major dizziness within half hour of taking the meds. It stays for about 5 hours. Congestion does clear up really fast. However I took it at night for the first dose and could not sleep the whole night. The 2nd day till today (5th), I took them after lunch and rested. The dizziness is overpowering. I literally can't function but I can sleep at night 2nd day onwards tho it takes slightly longer than usual to doze off. Happy today is my last day and I will probably never want to take this again if I can help it.”

Anonymous December 29, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I'm allergic to penicillin and Zithromax, so my doctor prescribed Avelox after I'd had a sinus infection for 3 weeks. (I try to avoid taking antibiotics since I'm allergic to the normal prescriptions.) I started to feel better after the first dose. My only complaint is that the pills were a lot more expensive than simple amoxicillin.”

Anonymous November 13, 2010

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “It must be my body but this medicine works within 30 minutes to an hour after ingestion. This is fast acting per the information I researched. I only had a sinus infection in my left nostril and it cleared up where I was able to breath through my nose without an issue. I used to carry around tissue for this purpose. No side effects for me.”

Learn more about Sinusitis