User Reviews for Moxifloxacin to treat Bronchitis

Also known as: Avelox, Avelox I.V.

Moxifloxacin Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 95 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Moxifloxacin

starrjazz · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2020

“I first took Zpack for my bronchitis but it did nothing. The doctor I saw prescribed me moxifloxacin and within 25 minutes, I has shaking, my hands were numb, my legs were tingling and I had had palpitations. I drank so much water to get it out of my system. I immediately stopped taking it. The following two nights, my legs were twitching.”

SGM April 28, 2017

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I was prescribed this medication for bronchitis and it is hands down the most terrible medication I have ever taken. Within an hour of taking the first dose, I had nausea and vomiting so bad that I ended up in the emergency room and even after receiving fluids and IV Phenergan I was still dry heaving. Never again!”

Katinka58 July 13, 2016

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I took this medicine while at work ( Police/Fire Dept) because of bronchitis, I started out with a red rash that went up my arms, then started to itch, terrible stomach pains , passed out and was placed in an ambulance. Once awake and being prepped with IV I watched my body walk out of my body out the ambulance door, my body was literally shutting down and I was dying on the way to the hospital, The drs. at the hospital told me that if I would have been by myself I would have surely died. . This was a horrible experience and since then my body has shut down to all medications and if I am prescribed any kind of medications I have to sit in the drs. office waiting for another reaction. I had surgery 2015 and had a team standby.”

Sabina83 February 12, 2016

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “The second pill made me feel confused, anxious, lightheaded.”

Gil-t October 13, 2015

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “This is the third time I am prescribed Avelox. The first time for pneumonia and the last two times for bronchitis. This is by far one of the most potent antibiotic available. Doctors are very reluctant in prescribing this antibiotics because it is basically the last defence. Thus, doctors will tend to prescribe other, less potent antibiotics first, the reason being that bacteria will eventually adapt to any Antibiotics. So it should only be prescribe when required.”

JohDav August 23, 2015

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I am rarely ill so have not taken a lot of medications; I also have a sensitivity to medications. I told this to the prescribing physician when seen for bronchitis. She prescribed avelox and by day 3 I had developed large red welts; went back to the Doctor who determined it was erythema nodosum. Avelox was overkill for someone like me - it was way to strong and this was a horrible side effect.”

Amysickfortoolong · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2015

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I love Avelox. Every winter, I am sick for months. I spend thousands of dollars on doctor visits, blood tests, chest x-rays. We go through rounds and rounds of antibiotics. I used to have great success with Augmentin, but it doesn't work anymore. Levaquin did the job one year, but hasn't been effective since. Last year, I combed the internet and found people like me that had success with Avelox. After one dose, I was feeling better (after being sick for 3 months). It completely knocked out the infection and I was back on my feet the very next day. I've been sick for 3 weeks and took my first dose of Avelox yesterday. I am already feeling better. I am so thankful for this medication.”

nikiww · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2014

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I was prescribed this after a sinus infection turned into bronchitis. The take with food sign on the bottle should be in bold letters. I took the pill before my breakfast and threw up thirty minutes later. You need food in your stomach before the pill. This pill is the only pill that helps cure my horrible sinus infections. Eat first and you should be fine.”

onejap · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2013

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Azithromycin failed to get rid of bronchitis. Switched to Avelox. No side effects, by the 2nd day, felt much better, got rid of congested feeling. It made me sweat more than usual, but sweating was nothing compared to menopausal hot flashes.”

Anonymous August 22, 2012

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “This is very strong medication. I came from abroad with a bronchial infection and had to see my doctor. Cephalaxin and Clarithromycin prescribed to me abroad by doctors apparently could not suppress the infection and my doctor put me on Avelox on a 7 day course. I finished the course with great reluctance yesterday. It did relieve the symptoms to a great degree, but the side effects have been severe. I have severe loss of appetite, continue to be nauseous, lethargic, experience loss of energy and became dizzy. I had extremely uncomfortable palpitations, tightness and pain in the chest throughout the course, and several sleepless nights. I have lost nearly 5 pounds over the seven days.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2012

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I had bronchitis that I thought went away after a Zpak. It was back within a few weeks, so I went back and got put on 10 days of cephalexin. Day 6 I was still coughing all night (and lots of the day), so I got some samples of Avelox. I was a little scared after reading some of the horror stories, but I couldn't stand the coughing anymore and I was willing to try whatever. I am on Day 3. The medicine (I think?) makes me sweat and feel a little "off" for a couple hours after I take it, but other than that, I am pleased to report no side effects (knocking on wood!) and a dramatic reduction in coughing. I take it after lunch and am drinking LOTS of fluids (as per instructions) and I am amazed at how well it seems to be working.”

Anonymous April 19, 2012

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I was prescribed Avelox for 7 days for bronchitis, so far so good, the only side effect was a little dizziness and nausea.”

StardustSteve February 7, 2012

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Switched from Cednifir to Avelox on day 4 of treatment. Seemed to be a more potent medicine and reduced symptoms quickly. Only side effect was a sped up metabolic euphoria feeling borderlining as being a low anxiety attack. But was able to perform my job which requires constant and close contact with the public.”

Anonymous January 7, 2012

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Found this to be a very intense medicine. I am 64 and have a history of chronic bronchitis due to non repaired scoliosis and am quite susceptible to respiratory issues. On day 1 and 2 my chest and the ability to breathe was tight and restricted on day 3 much improvement but followed with severe abdominal cramping and nausea with dry mouth. I have lost 6 pounds and feel quite weak and dread the next dose. I am on it for 10 days.”

Anonymous December 18, 2010

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Caused me to have hives, can't take it.”

JRandolphT May 31, 2010

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “It is one of the most powerful medications I have taken for an infection but it works immediately - which rocks! Yet I wondered why I had trouble sleeping, felt anxious (almost to the point of anxiety attack) and nauseated. Now I know it was a side effect. It's good but be prepared for some of the side effects.”

Anonymous February 15, 2010

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I was prescribed 5 days of Avelox for bronchitis/sinusitis. Seems to have cleared up all the green mucuous, but the cough lingered for another week. Another possible side effect is tremendous pain/swelling in my Achilles tendon. Don't know if this was caused by Avelox, but have been doing some research and that is a possibility. I will be going back to the doctor tomorrow for follow up, as I can barely walk.”

Anonymous December 28, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I had the H1N1 flu and then developed Bronchitis. After 3 days of taking Avelox, I had hives all over my body. I stopped the medicine 5 days ago and still have hives. The bronchitis seems to be gone. I also experience pains in my muscles and weakness and tightness in my chest and palpitations. I don't think I will be taking this medicine again.”

Anonymous November 29, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Avelox did promptly clear up bronchitis and sinusitis. My ankles were so swollen that I could only wear loose fitting houseshoes for the 10 day treatment time. It made me feel jittery and caused abdominal cramps. ”

Stephanie1955 November 25, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I have COPD so when I get Bronchitis it knocks me for a loop! Because we moved, we had to find a new doctor. Low and behold I get Bronchitis. He prescribed Avelox and to say it was a God send is an understatement. I personally haven't had any side effect and on the second day there was a distinct slow down in my coughing. Now I tell everyone who believes they have an URI or Bronchitis to ask their doctor for the Avelox. I just pray I never grow immune to it!”

thrilled so far! November 14, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “A week after I had the H1N1 "swine" flu, I was having trouble breathing (bronchitis or pneumonia?) and the ER doctor prescribed 400 mg Avelox for six days. By the third day I was breathing much clearer, and now at day five it seems I can breathe deeper than I think I have in years. In fact, I think my lungs are a little sore from the good deep-breathing exercise! A great benefit has been that the Avelox has also been clearing up a chronic sinus infection that I've had for years (even after surgery) - the pressure headache is gone, and the post-nasal drip is barely noticeable now. I am not having any side effects that I can attribute directly to the medicine that I know of. So far so good; thank you Avelox!”

Ashlei October 22, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “So far I'm on day two and my coughing has almost stopped. I've had a cough for 3 weeks, but it got worse almost overnight with a fever of 102 and chills three days ago. My doctor said I had a sinus infection, upper respiratory infection, and bronchitis. I can already tell this antibiotic really works, with only a little dizziness for a side effect.”

Thesky September 24, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Wonder drug in my opinion. It cleared me up in 2.5 days and I discontinued use. I almost didn't believe I actually WAS sick in the first place because of how quickly it worked... I thought maybe it was allergy? Skeptic and Non- compliant patient, I know. It came back 3 weeks later.... I'm not as successful this time around.... day 4 and not much relief yet... but I WILL continue the 10 days this time. I learned my lesson.”

Anonymous September 2, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I am 32 yrs old, and have no allergies to anything. After taking this drug I had depression, hallucinations and very odd thoughts, and felt no consequences to anything I did...so I looked up the side effects, and I had almost everyone. I went to another doctor and she advised me that this drug has profound mental side effects in adults.”

Anonymous May 17, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “This antibiotic made my heart race so much that I didn't sleep the first night. Called my doctor the next day and he changed the medicine because that side effect wasn't one that I could live with.”

Learn more about Bronchitis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)