User Reviews for Moxifloxacin to treat Bacterial Infection

Also known as: Avelox, Avelox I.V.

Moxifloxacin has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 40 ratings for the treatment of Bacterial Infection. 38% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Moxifloxacin Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 1055 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Moxifloxacin

Minnie · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2020

“I have mycoplasma genitalium. I’ve had it for nearly a year now. Was given other antibiotics before but they were not effective so now I’m on a ten day course with moxifloxacin. I was ridiculously scared to take the tablets after reading into it so much and seeing the possible dangerous side effects but decided I would do whatever it takes to get better. 4/10 days , I’ve had dizziness and fatigue , muscle ache , headaches that come and go , a little bit of tingling here and there in the arm , have also found myself getting very agitated and have been quite emotional. It’s not the easiest course to go through but things seem to be clearing up.”

Andra March 6, 2018

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Had a pretty nasty nasal infection with a rare bacteria. This was the 3rd round of antibiotics (the first two were not avelox!). Took Avelox for 7 days. It is a very strong antibiotic but it did the trick for me. Here's my advice: WHEN TO TAKE IT: Take it at night, this helps with some of the side effects (I got slightly dizzy, zoned out and sleepy). BOWEL ISSUES: Drink a lot of mint tea (to avoid diarrhea). I drank nearly 1 liter a day and had close to no problems. Take a strong probiotic (or drink yogurt! natural, no sugar or flavours) to avoid other possible problems after finishing antibiotic. I took double the normal dosage of probiotic just to be on the safe side. If female: take some antifungal ovules to avoid candida after finishing antibiotics (e.g. Canesten) STOMACH ISSUES: Take PPI to protect your stomach.(omeprazol, esomeprazol, nexium whatever is prescribed by doctor). Always take antibiotic 30 minutes after dinner to avoid stomach pain. Wishing you all the best!”

Syd10 January 18, 2016

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Absolute best antibiotic I've ever used! I was feeling better within 2 days. No side effects. I've used it for both a UTI and Sinus Infection. Worked amazingly both times. I have a sensitive stomach and usually hate taking medication. But this stuff really works.”

Anonymous October 19, 2011

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I can't wait until tomorrow. I took my last Avelox today and unfortunately it took me this long to figure out it was making me feel so sick. Nervous, shaky, nauseous and my whole body is fatigued. I can't concentrate on my work and feel dizzy. ”

Aerial · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2021

“I'm a 20 year old girl. I was diagnosed with mycoplasma Genitalium. I didn't know how long I had it or where or who I received it from. I was so scared I found myself google the medication and symptoms every second first my doctor tried doxycycline 2 by mouth everyday for 7 days it didn't work I was STILL positive . I started loosing hope but I went back to my doctor and she proscribed me moxifloxacin 2 dose for 7 days and my test came back negative!!! Moxifloxacin does the job everyone's body Is different doxycycline works for some people others may need a stronger dose like me”

Acb · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

“I took a 7 day cycle of moxifloxacin for an infection and had the worst side effects extremely dizzy, agitated, tingling hands, tensed fingers, confused, severe panic attacks, depression, headaches and just all around in a fog. I’ve been off the medication for a week and I’m still experiencing these side effects it’s horrible!”

Bobtail222 May 13, 2015

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “At first it seemed to help, didn't connect the rash to the medication, then blurred vision, high anxiety, nausea, tightness in my chest & felt extremely ill, like I was going to die or have a heart attack.”

Dc2 June 11, 2016

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “My second time taking avelox for pneumonia. The benefits out weigh the side effects. I had most of the side effects associated with this medication. From feeling extremely weak and tired, anxious, fast heart beat, nausea, vomiting, headache. However it cleared up my pneumonia.”

Anonymous July 14, 2009

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I have taken moxifloxacin for 2 days so far - and NO SIDE EFFECTS! In fact, I FINALLY feel normal and healthy again. I wanted to die of flu symptoms before I took Avelox. I took Amoxicillin for 8 days (prior to Avelox), which did NOTHING! I went to my doctor, desperate, and he prescribed me 5 days of Avelox. I have taken 2, no side effects, and FINALLY FINALLY feel well again. I was sick for OVER 2 weeks, flu, SEVERE body aches, SEVERE sore throat/majorly swollen glands on right side of neck, SEVERE earache right side, fever, headache - MISERABLE! AVELOX FIXED ME. THANK you Doctor. THANK you AVELOX! Just educate yourself on precautions! There are many things you need to do (take in morning, don't take with certain medicines).”

Cnurse · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2021

“I have been on this medication for 6 days due to mg infection. Took azithromicin didn’t work now this I’m still experiencing pain from mg and weird abdominal movements empty my bowels constantly hungry always scared this pill so t work for me :( just want this pain gone”

Mrsbakersfield · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2017

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I will ALWAYS remember back in 1998 when I was prescribed Avelox 400mg. After taking one dose, this left me lethargic and a feeling of being in a catatonic state of mind! I literally felt over powered by this antibiotic. When I discussed it with my doctor, he educated me NOT to take any medications related to Avelox, such as Levaquin! Why? They're in the same family of drugs! (Quines)Do your research so you are well aware of what you're taking!”

City Gal · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2013

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I did get a bit dizzy so I would take this at bedtime and did at first get a faster heart beat but may have been cause I read all the crazy side effects online. This medicine did work for me. Had an awful case of tonsillitis. Be sure to read the package and how other meds (even vitamins) you may be taking can alter the effects and increase chances of side effects.”

Saipan Sam March 15, 2017

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Taken to address a long standing Prostate infection. On 4th day of a 20 day course (400 mg once daily). Side effects include: slight to moderate confusion and vertigo. Slight to moderate tinnitus, loss of appetite, pasty mouth, thirsty, mild tendonitis in left knee. I'm not my positive, engaging self and it's affecting my teaching (High School Chemistry). I drive a motorcycle so the vertigo and confusion symptoms are worrisome. I can deal with the above side effects provided they do not worsen. Prostatitis seems better but too early for any conclusions in that regard. I'm continuing with the treatment.”

Arrott111 May 12, 2014

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I get horrible side effects from literally every other antibiotic out there, except for Avelox. Of course all medications affect people differently, but I have never felt any of the effects people list here, except for a little fatigue. This medication works very well.”

Anonymous October 2, 2011

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “The next day after taking it, I began to have twitching in my hands and fingers, dizzy, could not walk a straight line and was extremely tired, sleeping 20 hours (I usually sleep 6 hours). After being taken off, after 3 days, most of my strength has returned, still a bit lightheaded. Apparently these effects affect 2% who take the medicine. ”

luckyone101 July 21, 2011

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “First of all I'm so sadden by so many horrified stories on this blog. My heart goes out to you all. I am on day 9 with Avelox. My doctor prescribed other medicines for this bacterial infection and bad cough that I have for three months now. The first 2 days were horrible for me on Avelox. I was throwing up all night, heart beating fast, severe itching. By day 3 I felt great and my side effects now are not as bad, minor itching now. But I must say this medicine does work for me. It also has cleared up my skin on my face and I had blisters on my hand big one's that also has cleared up. So I'm going to do a refill on this and continue this medicine for another 10 days. Good Luck to all that had bad experience with this medicine.”

Skip · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2019

“Moxifloxacin had me in the emergency room. It had me feeling like I was going to collapse. I ended up having 12 side effects when it was all said and done. This pill made me worse. The medication went straight in the toilet”

MGUP · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2020

“I seem to tolerate this moxifloxacin flouroquinolone better than the others. Don't know why. Cipro gave me immediate joint/tendon pain in my left leg after one dose and I felt like I was dying from three days on Levofloxacin aka Levaquin.”

ErinMarieG June 21, 2010

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “This drug was a miracle for me! I was very skeptical on taking these because of the horrible reviews that are out there. I went to my doctor and he prescribed me Azithromycin. It did nothing for me. My ear got really inflammed and I was half deaf in my ear. Fluid was blocked up. I went back to the doctor 2 days later (Wednesday) and he prescribed me steroids, to get rid of the inflammation, and he gave me Avelox. He told me to start Avelox Saturday, if needed. Saturday came and I seemed to be better. I didn't take it. Sunday came and the ear pain came back. I took Avelox and my ear infection feels like it's 80% healed! It's been about 29 hours since I took the first pill and my ear feels amazing! NO side effects!”

Nursedonna April 25, 2014

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Took my first dose of Avelox while I was at work (I am a nurse). About 15-20 minutes later I began to itch on my neck, then my face and mouth began to swell and itch. Luckily I was at a place where I could get epinephrine on board right away to prevent an anaphylaxis reaction!”

Anonymous March 26, 2010

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Symptoms started clearing 12 hours after first dose. Doctor prescribed 10 days at 400 mg/day. All of my bacterial symptoms (sore throat, headache, drainage, cough, upset stomach, fever) were gone by dose 4. No serious side effects.”

Rick June 10, 2018

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “I was diagnosed as having actinomycosis (lumpy jaw). First was put on amoxicillin and then changed to Avelox (now in week 2 of it). Will continue it for another month and a half, then will be switched to another antibiotic for a while. The Dr. is an infectious disease specialist and said that my condition takes a long time to cure. So far, no ill side-effects. The lumpy jaw came about after mouth surgery to remove a cancer, and so far (almost 2 years), no more cancer! I also had radiation and chemo for the cancer. Keeping on keeping on!”

Cdeanne33 · Taken for less than 1 month December 14, 2016

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “Had a very resistant infection and was prescribed this medication. Went into anaphylactic shock after it stared digesting. Cold and hot sweats, drooling , splotchy skin color , swelling of throat, loss of feeling in left side of my body for 2 days and brief loss of consciousness until ambulance arrived. Just didn't work well with my body.”

malmudaf · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2016

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “please read my experience carefully. Months before i took Avelox, the landlord has sprayed all the complex with insect repeller, it was so strong that i felt i couldn't breath, i went straight away to the doctor which they administered ventollin and oxygen. i felt better, but ever sense i became extremely sensitive i could not smell perfumes or Dettol/gas station without feeling suffocated. months after, i got sick with flu, and theflu went to my chest and i couldn't breath and experienced pain in my chest. took to the hospital and was given nebulizer but didn't feel better, so they did an xray and gave me Avalox, i got all the side effects but it cleared it, and my asthma!!! not sensitive anymore! so to keep it short it it fixed my lungs”

MsMnMs December 27, 2011

Avelox (moxifloxacin): “This past Wednesday my right nostril was a little sore, figured I was a little overly aggressive with the allergy early morning blowing. By Friday 3:30 am I woke up to stabbing pain all on the right side of my face! Swollen and the tissue was HARD, nasal passage (where the infection started) was 3/4 closed! Today is day 4, my face is pliable again, still a little stiff close to my right nostril, but my lips, cheeks and eyes feel great, nostril very slightly tender in comparison to Wednesday. This Avelox works only problem I've had is dry mouth (drinking plenty of water) and a little light headed/dizzy, but I'm not driving so that's okay!”