User Reviews for Midodrine to treat Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome

Also known as: Orvaten

Midodrine has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 13 ratings for the treatment of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. 46% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Midodrine Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome.

Reviews for Midodrine

kckcgussyy · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2021

“This drug,midodrine, is so short acting, there is a small window of time that it helps. Am now on 10mg tid which is about the max dose. Have added fludrocortisone 0.1 bid to support BP and increased salt intake considerably. The salt really helps, biggest quickest way to increase salt intake is soy sauce ! Propranalol 5mg bid, a tiny tiny dose, takes care of tachycardia.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2021

“My 19 year old with COVID-induced POTS tried taking midodrine and the side affects were not tolerable. One issue is she was freezing cold with goose bumps all over and they were painful like a stinging feeling. She only took it for a week and then we stopped it.”

Ln2022 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 16, 2020

“Not the drug for me personally. Suffered with POTS for 10+ years now starting new medicines for it. I was prescribed 10mg Midodrine to start. No improvement of POTS symptoms and was on it for about a month. No negative symptoms other than goosebumps at first but after about a month on it my blood pressure started shooting up and I felt super sick from it. I had high hopes because it helps so many people but it just wasn't for me.”

HS004 August 13, 2014

Orvaten (midodrine): “I take 10mg midodrine three times a day for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. It has changed my life completely. I'm able to be active and do all the things I used to avoid. I go to concerts, movies on opening night, and shopping at places with long lines. I can date without worrying about whether we're going somewhere that I'll need to stand still. There are side effects - weird sensations and goosebumps mostly. The benefit far outweighs any negative effects or risks.”

Ddominelli August 17, 2010

ProAmatine (midodrine): “ProAmatine is the best thing since sliced bread! Without ProAmatine POTS patients like me would not be able to function! The side effects are minimal and short lasting (they usually go away within the first week) and it gives people their lives back!”

POTS&Dysautomia August 17, 2011

“Midodrine does not affect postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, you need a beta-blocker for that (I am on Propranolol) which keeps your heart from kickstarting the fainting reflex that POTS patients are very susceptible to. Midodrine saved my life, it allows me to literally get up off the floor and get on with life. I have been on it for 10 years, it has a very short life span so I take both medicines every 3 hours. I am able to function quite well, not super-duper, but I can do most things. If it ever is pulled off the market I will literally be going to another country.”

togetherthereishope October 3, 2015

ProAmatine (midodrine): “I have been diagnosed with Dysautonomia & Postural Orthostatic Tachacardia Syndrome and many other things but this medicine was my only option I can't take beta blockers because I need to be able to use my epi-pen and I had a bad reaction to florinef so we decided to try midodrine. It is a lifesavor! I can't go anywhere or do much of anything if I don't take it. I will pass out if I'm not on this medicine, I'm very pleased! I do have to deal with flushing and frequent headaches but it's very much worth it the cost.”

RockinSquirrel · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 20, 2020

“I was doing well on Midodrine for my POTS but also take propranolol and fludricortisone for it. After a few years my blood pressure got too high and my doctor had me stop the midodrine. My POTS is now running my life. I can't even walk around the house without being extremely dizzy.”

POTSgrrrrl October 1, 2010

ProAmatine (midodrine): “Didn't seem to lower my heart rate very much, except when I tried to walk around in physical therapy class. Then it caused a severe drop in my heart rate, from about 95 in the relaxed sitting position, to below the 50s when I walked a few yards. Bradycardia is a documented side effect, and unfortunately one I suffered from. Also had lots of goosebumps, tingling scalp, chills and flushing throughout the day. I'm not totally knocking it, because I know it works for some POTS patients, but it wasn't the medicine for me.”

MarkS. February 1, 2012

“Goosebumps on arms, legs, chest and back; scalp tingling. Reduced my POTS episodes to one or two a month. Wish it were a once-a-day pill instead of every four hours. I take it early morning, lunch and late afternoon.”

potsy_kaira July 21, 2014

ProAmatine (midodrine): “Has definitely helped along with the Digoxin I take to keep me from feeling faint or dizzy. Has improved my quality of life quite a bit. The side effects (for me) are not bad enough to make me stop taking it.”

canelante June 22, 2017

“I get seizures with allergic reactions from Mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), but I didn't when I first took this drug in 2016. Lots of goosebumps, tingling, tight scalp, chills, shivering, and felt like a zombie, though. Became a different person- dissociated, honestly. That'd never happened to me before, was so afraid. Doctor made me try again, seized the entire time and the tingling burned so bad it felt like I was on fire. Got bradycardic within 2 hours of taking it, too. I get brady sometimes as it is (my heart rate was at 30 the other day) so this medication wasn't a good idea in the first place. Bad call on my doctor's part and bad call on mine for even listening to him.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2016

“Really bad reaction with me.severe side effects with little to no results.”

simplivin December 20, 2009

ProAmatine (midodrine): “Rash, goosebumps even when hot, odd blood pressure swings, scalp tingling and other problems. Was taken off it fairly quickly.”