User Reviews for Lidocaine topical to treat Pain

Also known as: Lidoderm, Lidocaine Viscous, ZTlido, Aspercreme Maximum Strength Lidocaine Patch, Xylocaine Jelly, Glydo, RectiCare, Aspercreme Maximum Strength Lidocaine Creme, Xylocaine Topical, Astero, Topicaine, AneCream, Dermaflex, Regenecare HA Spray, Bactine, Tranzarel, Gen7T Lotion, Gen7T Patch, Lidocream, Lidopin, Lidozol, Lidovex, Aloe Vera Burn Relief Spray with Lidocaine, Uro-Jet, Uro-Jet AC, Anestafoam, Eha Lotion, Anestacon, Lydexa, CidalEaze, Medi-Quik Spray, Ela-Max, Ela-Max 5, LMX 4 with Tegaderm, LMX 4, Numb Nuts, LTA II Kit, Zensa, LMX 5, RadiaGuard, Lidotrans 5 Pak Lido-K Lido-Sorb Zionodil Lidozion LidoRx Derma Numb Apicaine-X DermacinRx Lido V Pak Lidopac DermacinRx Lidotral AneCream with Tegaderm LidaMantle …show all brand names

Lidocaine topical has an average rating of 4.6 out of 10 from a total of 117 ratings for the treatment of Pain. 37% of those users who reviewed Lidocaine topical reported a positive effect, while 53% reported a negative effect.

Lidocaine topical Rating Summary

4.6/10 average rating

Compare all 1431 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Lidocaine topical

Mack March 3, 2021

“These are absolutely the worst patches I have ever used. It seems every pharmacy is purchasing now! Goopy non sticking mess. I can't even get it on most of the time as it sticks to itself, but so gooy it slides off of me. Terrible product...”

Lynn · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2021

Aspercreme Maximum Strength Lidocaine Patch (lidocaine): “Worthless cheap garbage, doesn't stick, doesn't come off the backing without rolling up onto itself, total waste of money;”

Moth December 20, 2020

“Personal Warning. Dangerous Substance. Please do not use numbing cream unless you are absolutely certain of what you are doing. I used a 5% cream, I spread a decent amount on my shoulders and neck to help with pain, but since no effect kicked in, I decided to just wash it off in my morning shower. I did not know that it should not be combined with heat. The shower’s heat hastened absorption and crashed my system in an immediate overdose, I became dehydrated, could not stand, lost feeling in my legs, and could not stop shaking violently. My extremities became numb and burned, and I was lightheaded and fighting to stay conscious. I struggled to breathe and move, and I had to call emergency help. The cream had also absorbed into my shirt, which, when I put it on later without realizing, gave me a second dose. I have never been more miserable and in pain in my life. Please, please be very careful with this substance. You could lose your life. This needs far stricter regulation.”

Kat# April 16, 2016

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “I had been using lidocain 5% patch for years and they really do work. They allow me to move without the major pain I suffer from spinal injuries and major depression. Recently my insurance carrier sent me lidocaine patches manufactured my the Mylar company. These patches are a complete waste of money . The Mylar backing is inflexible and do not move with the body. They fall off within seconds. The edges curl as you put them on.. I do not take narcotics for pain management these were my only help to reduce the pain. Do not bother with the Mylar brand patches they are useless.”

JasonNapolitano November 29, 2013

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “I suffer from chronic lower back pain in the Lumbar, right above my cocix. I have been going through lower back pain for some years. I have severely ruptured my lower discs when I used to be a furniture delivery driver. I would move couches, lazy boys, 500lb dining tables, bedroom sets and more for 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week, I have tried medications such as Methadone, Morphine, and Vicodin. Some of them work, my thing is I do not like take narcotics but this patch is amazing. I put one on, in about 1 hours time I feel such a major relief. It takes a while to kick in but it works great. It takes my pain level from a 10.5 to a 5. Only downfall(s) adhesive is not that great and they are very expensive.”

Shari M March 21, 2016

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “The lidocaine patches made by Endo and Watson are wonderful. The Mylan brand however is terrible. Mylan patches don't stick very well to skin, and bunch up and come off very quickly. Sweating also makes them come off. Mylan patches don't seem to work very well either, but that may have to do with the fact that they are so hard to keep on. They do however stick quite nicely to my clothes. Every time I tried to keep one on my hip, it quickly bunched up and stuck fast to my nylon underpants and ruined them. CVS & Rite Aid switched to Mylan generic brand (in my area), forcing me to transfer my prescription to Walgreens. Call around to find pharmacies that still carry other brands, and write letters to inform your pharmacy.”

Isabella1303 · Taken for 10 years or more August 8, 2019

“I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for over 30 years as well as spinal stenosis (lumbar spine), and ankylosing spondylitis, which is the old name for RA of the lumbar spine. My rheumatologist put me on Hinamatsu's lidocaine patch in support of my other pain modifiers and it worked like a charm because the adhesive worked very well: it was easy to get off the plastic liner, it did not roll up on itself and it stayed in place overnight. Then my pharmacy was told by the insurance company they had to dispense Mylan or Actavis and now when I use them, I get stuck to the patch or it sticks to my clothes it sheets. They are just worthless! And I'm an Registed Nurse and used to applying these things”

Twty · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 23, 2014

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “I've had numerous invasive spinal surgeries, sciatic nerve pain, as well as discomfort at the site of my neurostimulator implantation. The patches alleviate the discomfort in conjunction with a medication regime put in place by my pain management doctor that I follow to the letter allowing for less medication having to be taken while they're in use. I've had no side effects. Overall a very positive experience.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more March 8, 2016

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “Like the many others that have written responses, I have been using Lidoderm patches for many years. I began with the Brand Name and then CVS switched to the generic by ENDO. If you can find this generic it works just like the original. But recently they switched to the newly developed generic by Mylan. Do not waste your money. They are highly ineffective. Difficult to separate from the plastic and very stiff un-maleable. Once applied the stiffness causes them to lift up, beginning with the corners and pretty soon the whole patch releases. Obviously the adhesive doesn't work either. I can't get them to stay on long enough to see if they even work - no where the recommended 12 hours which I have had no problem with on others!”

Sapphirereflection · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 12, 2012

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “I've found the patches stay on my back better if I use rubbing alcohol to clean my skin, allowing it to airdry prior to applying the patch. My husband must help me apply them because they are hard to get on your upper back by yourself. Also it seems like my body gets used to them after a few weeks so I will take a break from using them for a few days. My biggest complaint is that they are so expensive. I must use 3 for them to be effective but I have a high deductible insurance plan so there are times I simply can not afford the patches.”

MYLAN WHAT A WASTE · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 21, 2016

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “For Pain: "While I've gotten very helpful joint pain relief from other brands (WATSON), the MYLAN brand patches are the WORST, MOST INEFFECTIVE, waste of time and money. The backing is thin but stiff pinching the skin making it very uncomfortable and unsuitable. And then they won't stick. The web site, but not the box, says to press on the patch for better stick, but then pretty much admits you will need tape around the edges which leaves the middle where the meds are still not sticking. I only am out a small copay but my insurer spent over $200 a box on this garbage. Don't waste your time to call or write Mylan about their inferior product they will do nothing about it except "apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced".”

blueeye April 1, 2013

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “This worked quite well for acute severe shoulder rotater cuff pain but took a couple of hours to kick in. The weirdest thing though is I had a side effect where I saw yellow color on white walls. Also had a little trouble focusing eyes and was a little dizzy. Would go away when wore off and then same thing when tried again, so had to stop.”

h/b February 16, 2012

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “Bursitis in shoulder - had received numerous Injections over multi years - Dr suggested Surgery or try Lidocaine Patch - applied Patch over 120 days and then discontinued - it has been 2 years with no further pain - AMAZING.”

blueXS · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2012

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “My doctor gave me a couple of these to try out before I filled a script for them (for shoulder and lower back pain). I cut them up because they are HUGE. Put ½ on my back and ½ on my shoulder the first night. I hadn't slept more than a couple of hours a night for the last week because of my back (that's with oxymorphone and oxycodone) and WOW, slept like a baby! Took my back pain from an 8 to a 3. I didn't even notice the patch was there. Now for my shoulder though, these things aren't very sticky and so the movement makes them come off in just a couple minutes. I taped it down, but it's kinda bubbling in the middle and I'm having a hard time keeping it in contact with my skin unless I'm holding my arm just so.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 28, 2012

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “I was in a car accident and suffered a 4th rib fracture, 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th ribs were also injured and suffered pectus excavatum. The Lidoderm pain patches helped to decrease my pain level from a 10 to a 3. I can not ride in a car with out wearing these patches. I wear one in my subclavian area and two in my 6th and 7th thoracic area (total of 3). These patches really manage the pain.”

NJKat June 20, 2011

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “I have CHRONIC sacroiliac joint and coccyx pain that does not show up on MRI or X-ray and I've used this patch for a little over 1 month with NO side effects whatsoever. I do notice that it takes about 2 to 3 days to feel the "full effect" of the medication and I do notice the increase in pain if I skip a day. Maximum pain for me WITH the patch is about a 2 and that's great.”

Miami · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

“My parents had the Lidoderm 5% patches and spoke highly of them. When I somehow threw out my neck/shoulder, I picked up Lidocaine patch 5% made by Mylar not realizing there’d be such a difference. The Mylan patches are absolutely worthless! They don’t stick to skin at all, they fold up and stick to themselves, and I really didn’t notice any pain relief. I tried using these patches twice (12 hours on, 12 hours off) and it was an absolute joke. I gave up on them and took Ibuprofen instead which provided much, much better relief.”

riteaidmgr · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 31, 2016

“Folks, as a previous manager for Rite Aid and CVS, as well as a customer who went thru a variety of pain patches varying in efficacy, I offer this info/advice: 1. Talk to your pharmacist! 2. Ask ahead of time which brand they currently have in stock, it can change from week to week. 3.availability also fluctuates store to store, plus, often times YOUR pharmacist CAN check the availability in another store from their computer 4.every pharmacy has 2 suppliers. The chains warehouse, (delivers 1x or 2x a week) plus a private company (daily delivery) and the pharmacist CAN order a specific generic brand from either of those, by using the NDC #”

Gingerkat · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2019

“Mylan brand lidocaine patches are terrible, it doesn't stick to skin making it useless. I recently received these due to Qualitest no longer making them (Qualitest lidocaine was very effective), but I threw these mylan ones out after 2 attempts of keeping them on. Don't waste money. Activis brand is opposite being extra sticky/gummy leaving residue and a terrible allergic reaction. Come on drug companies, you can do better! Maybe someone can replicate Qualitest patches”

Sandy · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2019

“I had used previous the lidocaine patch made by Qualitest and they are wonderful. Now I guess there is a generic patch made by Mylan which is a complete waste of time and money. It is like the brown part of a bandaid. It rolls up on all sides when applying to the skin. I tried to put one on my foot and then put a sock over it. When I took the sock off the patch was stuck to the sock. I almost destroyed my sock trying to get the patch off of it. The Mylan patch is so thin and provides no relief what so ever. We have had a freezing winter and there is no way to apply any topical lidocaine because of all the clothes that one has to wear at this time. It has been a long miserable winter needless to say. I worked many years to have my employer based insurance. What is the purpose of having the insurance when it is useless to you. What a rip off.”

Anonymous October 24, 2011

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “I use lidoderm patch for upper back pain spasums. The patch works well for this type of pain. I also found that the patch works wonderful for sex. Very seldom can I stick around long (about 30 min) enough for my wife to climax. However, using the patch about 1 hour before sex dulls the sensitivity, which allows me time for her to reach the big "0". Happy wife happy life!”

Leah0u812 January 30, 2016

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “The MYLAN brand 5% is useless! Waste of money. It does not stick to fresh cleaned skin with rubbing alcohol first, it does not stay on to provide medicine even if taped on outside edges and it's plastic! Bad for skin. I'm going to change pharmacies to avoid using this,brand again or cough up cash for my reg. Brand. I would not depend on this. Seriously it does not stick for 2 mins.”

Another victim of bad meds · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2016

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “I have been using the generic lidocaine patches for years, with great results. My pharmacy, which I have to use because of my insurance, switched to generic patches from Mylan. These new patches are HORRIBLE!!! They are stiff and do NOT stick at all! I am stuck with a 6 month supply of patches that DON'T work. I've spent over an hour with various people at the pharmacy! And they all say it's not their problem. Great. Just great.”

doriemae · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 14, 2017

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “My insurance substituted Mylan brand, my last prescription in January 2017. The WORST patch ever. They are plastic, hard to remove from backing and they DON'T stick. Don't waste your money. Had been using Qualitest patches previously, which worked well. Why insurance chose to change, I don't know. Terrible waste of my hard earned money.”

killmenowgod July 13, 2016

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “I've been on narcotic pain meds for over 20 years for severe degenerative joint disease in my back and several other joints. My doctor gave me lidocaine 5% patches to try about a month ago. I seriously doubted they would help, as any other topical creams have never helped much, but I was pleasantly surprised. They work so well that I have decreased my opiate dosage by half and am able to be more active than I have been in years. I don't think that they will work that well for everyone, but I do recommend everyone try them if they can, it has been a godsend for me.”

msdot July 19, 2008

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “I love Lidoderm patches. I have stenosis and muscle spasms. There are some nights I couldn't sleep without them. Be sure you are not wearing the patches longer than 12 hours. What is great is you can wear them under your clothes when working and no one knows or 'smells' you are wearing relief for spasms. They have been my lifesaver on more than one occasion. ”

Coregon December 23, 2007

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “I recently was prescribed lidoderm patches. I was impressed with the relief I got from sore muscles & joints. Later that night I noticed my shoulder was extremely tender to touch & when I looked at it, it was severely bruised and the skin was blistering & peeling, like frostbite. So watch heat and cold while using this patch!”

Retireex September 7, 2016

Lidoderm (lidocaine): “The 5% patches that i have been using for the last 3 years work well for short periods of time, about 4-5 hours. Reduces the need for hydrocodone. However, stay away from the Mylan brand. They are only 140 mg of lidocaine opposed to the standard 700mg. They get away with this by making the patch thinner so it is still 5%. It doesn't stick and it doesn't work for me. Got stuck with a few boxes that my insurance had to pay for. Ended up switching all my prescriptions from Rite-Aid to Walgreens.”