User Reviews for Harvoni to treat Hepatitis C

Harvoni Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Hepatitis C.

Reviews for Harvoni

"My wife took Harvoni in the fall of 2015. She was warned to avoid crowds as your immune system is suppressed but refused to avoid church. She contracted a respiratory infection that turned septic and killed her at age 56. The doctor agreed that Harvoni was contributory. My advice is to remain clear of crowded places while on Harvoni. She was cured of Hep C."

Scooter (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2019

"I had Hepatitis C for 20yrs. I took Harvoni for six months. Hepatitis C virus undetected. Two weeks later gained 29lbs!,I lost my motivation to do everyday chores, three and a half yrs later,I am in a deep depression so bad that all I want to do is shut the world out, sleep all the time, find no joy in life. I feel apathetic everyday. Is this from Harvoni or is it just chronic depression?"

topogigio (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 18, 2019

"I'm cured but the side effects!!! Hair loss, anxiety, restlessness, high blood pressure, sleep disorder. I think Gilead should be more honest about Harvoni's side effects. The other problem with these drugs is the packaging, how many of us have had to count our pills? They should be in blister packs clearly marked with the days of the week. I'm cured but I'm not a fan. I want the truth."

Island Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2019

"I took Harvoni for 60 days. 100% cured. Took this drug after going through a bad time for 1 year on Peg with riboviron cocktail. That sucked and it did not work. No real side effects at all with Harvoni. One pill a day and done. Do it. It changed my life."

nik (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2019

"Been carrying the virus around 40 years, Starting week 9 of a 12 week treatment. Drug is easy to use, take a pill once a day is it. Side effects for me have been; exhaustive tiredness, reduced motivation, loss of appetite, Intestinal gas, pain, flatulence, some nausea, a few headaches, blurry vision, inflammatory flares of the GI tract, tinnitus during the flares, bouts of depression, feeling not so much sick as just feeling really low. Can only eat very small portions of anything, also have constipation. Oh, and must mention the weird heightened sense of smell. Symptoms have gradually increased as weeks go by. At first sporadic but now almost daily. I suppose because of the med buildup in my body. It's not a cakewalk but it's what we've got. Counting down the days until I can begin restoring and healing. Thinking about time at a spa resort to jump start things, massage, some chiropractic adjustments etc. as I begin to build back stamina and strength. Good luck and take care!"

HepCat54 June 3, 2019

"I've had Hep C for 20 yrs+. I'm 51 with stage 3 Cirrhosis. I'm on my 3rd week of Harvoni and zero side effect, plenty of energy! I sleep great, have a healthy appetite etc. Will update once finished. I am very grateful for this treatment!"

CalArk (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2019

"I took my first pill today . I was happy when it arrived to start treatment. Although I have been reading material independent studies, and message boards I become scared. Having led a healthy lifestyle I had no idea about Hep C . I have nausea so badly I couldn’t move, dehydrated from diarrhea and vomiting. Every muscle hurts I can’t get comfortable, I'm dizzy and feel like I’m in a fog, crazy headache. I know my body, this med is too strong and hasn’t been out long enough to determine what or if the long term effects are. My day was awful and I couldn’t go to my Doctors appointment today and this is day one! I know when I call tomorrow they will ask me to switch to night time but I can’t take this for another day. This drug was pushed out and jammed down peoples throats to soon. I was told nothing would effect me like that because of my low count and healthy lifestyle! "

Too new for me (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2019

"Had Hep C for over 20 years with no symptoms that I was aware of. Took Harvoni for 12 weeks with no bad side effects at all. After completion I had a blood test that still showed a very low viral count. The doc said not to worry, that that is a common occurence. A blood test a few weeks later showed no viral load and complete cure. 4 years later, no sign of Hep C. Amazing drug, for me!"

jazzfreek (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 16, 2019

"Finished 12 week Harvoni 6 days ago on3/20/19. While doing treatment, my heart rate was slower than normal, I couldn't urinate for 3 days. Then I had 2 more kidney infections. Hair loss still. Weight gain with out a change in diet. Minor headaches during treatment. On 3/22/19 two days after completion of treatment, never missed a dose, never took pill more than a couple minutes late, always at bedtime, my BP rose to 185/105 & 179/110. As if this is not bad enough that I have development of a life threatening disease worse than HepC, I now have knots in the back of my calf with severe leg pain and stabbing headaches. Extremely tired and shortness of breath. I felt so good the last 2 weeks of treatment. I really thought I was getting my life back. Now, my life is in MORE Danger than before Harvoni. Disappointed and afraid. Would never recommend this treatment for anyone."

Ikewbetter (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2019

"I had Hepatitis C for 20yrs. I took Harvoni for six months with no side effects even worth mentioning.I usually get every side effect mentioned when it comes to man made drugs so Harvoni was an absolute miracle drug in eradicating Hep C virus. My biggest shock was I gained 20lbs in two weeks after completion of Harvoni and lost all motivation to do anything. Over three yrs later I barely have the energy to wash my face or brush my teeth. Absolute deep chronic depression worse than anything I ever suffered in my life. I suffered from depression for a good part of my life but nothing like this. Every thing I use to do without even thinking about it overwhelms me so much I just want to shutdown."

Sherman March 24, 2019

"Is there a chat group to talk to others regarding side effects please! [yes, on drugs.com type 'harvoni' then scroll down to 'Harvoni Support Group' ] I have been taking Harvoni for 5 weeks, after the second week I starting getting the worse headaches what might be migraines as I never had them before. The sunlight as it makes me sick to my stomach, and nowI am becoming emotional unstable. I’ve had Hep C for 49 years with no problem and this medication is giving me many problems. I am awaiting my first blood test if there is no good news I will stop taking it as it is changing who I am as I can’t take this pain."

Zan (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2019

"After 3 years of finishing treatment with Harvoni my blood hep C viral load still undetected and liver fibrosis score was improved."

Karkour (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 18, 2019

"Wondering if taking Harvoni at night will lessens the side effects? I take it in the morning and I have runny nose, cough, aches, fatigue all day. Would hate to take it at night and have it increase insomnia."

hoffmanhope (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2019

"this drug I'm very thankful for because it saved my husbands life. He is now hep c free n doing great.."

gypsy February 12, 2019

"I just had my six month blood test after completing Harvoni for Hepatitis C and I am now considered cured. I didn’t have any problems or side effects while taking."

Sissy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2019

"Took Harvoni for 3 months at a cost of $100,000.My hep C was gone. I contracted Hep C by a blood transfusion many years ago. Without the transfusion I would of died. So I was glad for the transfusion. Just got a blood test a few days ago. The hep C is back. What a waste of money. I should of went with my gut and bought a boat. Chris"

christofur (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2019

"This is my last 5 days after 12 weeks. I am hep free the first 30 days after my viral count was millions high. My experience has been great no side effects what so ever. So don't believe all you read please, it will just bring you down. Thank you"

Bandit January 9, 2019

"I took Harvoni for genotype 1a over a year ago. During treatment, I had an increase in fatigue, not much else for side effects. But after two months, I felt my vision was worsening, and so stopped treatment after 9 1/2 weeks. (I was in the cohort for which 8 weeks was deemed OK.) Shortly after stopping treatment, I had a marked increase in fatigue, and shortly after that began to have severe low back pain, which persists a year later. The pain appears to be due to a lactic acid buildup due to a mitochondrial dysfunction. I am at this point quite disabled due to chronic pain and fatigue, and wish I had just lived with the hep C."

destroyed (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2018

"I took Harvoni and finished my course the end of September 2015. Since then I have done several blood tests for the viral load and it is zero (undetectable) still after 3 years. My liver functions all are perfect and feeling more energetic."

karkour (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2018

"I'm in my last 2 weeks of harvoni treatment. I've been having breathing problems. I go to Dr today he sends me to get blood work. Needless to say none of these things started till my 3rd week of harvoni. I have breathing prob, hair loss, an past few weeks no sleep. Anyway blood work was STAT and the D-dimer test came back elevated which means blood clot. So now I have to get CT scan of chest due to he thinks I have blood clot in lungs. I'm on my last 2 weeks of harvoni and my gut tells me it's the harvoni. I'm scared - I have grandkids I'm not wanting to die, I see where others have died from blood clot on lungs. My question is were they aware of it."

Laura (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2018

"I found out 4 years ago that I was Hepatitis C virus positive (HCV+) but think I may have had it for 15-20 years. Anyway I have had no energy at all for years and did not realize it was down to the hep c. Then my Hepatology dr mentioned a cure!! I cried as I have children and a 6 month old baby to think of. All my kids are neg by the way. So I have been on 4 days now and woke up yesterday and today feeling sooo motivated and full of energy. I absolutely put this down to HARVONI. I am looking forward to the future very much and I am forever grateful to the NHS (UK) for allowing me to have this amazing drug.."

Kat (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2018

"I was stage 3 liver failure. I had tried all the treatments available. My tumor markers were over 400. I took Harvoni and am completely cured. Liver function and tumor markers are normal. It saved my life."

Janice (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2018

"Saved my life. Incredible drug."

Jane (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2018

"I was undetectable first month and 3rd month of Harvoni. Then 6 mo went by, getting tested slipped my mind. I figured it was gone. 2 years after treatment I tested positive, RNA over 2,700,000."

whyhow (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2018

"Did the harvoni treatment and I past my MRI's that were clear after harvoni. Now after partial liver removal awaiting cancer return. Doctor won't recommend another hep c treatment. They state none tested to be proven. So just waiting"

phil (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2018

Learn more about Hepatitis C

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)