User Reviews for Labetalol to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Trandate

Labetalol has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 18 ratings for the treatment of High Blood Pressure. 44% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 33% reported a negative experience.

Labetalol rating summary

5.9/10 average rating

Compare all 283 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Labetalol

Anonymous · July 21, 2020

"On this medication labetalol for about 15 months for high blood pressure. It was a horrible experience. I developed POTS due to taking labetalol. Upon standing it would elevate my heart to 170 and resting my pulse would be 55. Doc said it couldn't be from labetalol and assured me numerous times labetalol is super safe. Other side effects were I also felt like I could never breath, I was always dizzy, extremely hot, it would drop my bp so slow upon standing and my heart would race to the point of me feeling like I was going to faint. I became bed ridden for months and EXTREMELY depressed. Thankfully, I ran out of my labetalol prescription and had three days waiting for refill because I called in late. Three days of not taking it and I felt amazing. No racing heart. No low blood pressure. No dizziness. I felt so normal I cried. I could breath again. Listen to your body. Doctors don't always know everything. 15 months of my life I will never get back. It was poison to my body. I'm on 5mg lisonopril now and feel great."

Anonymous · April 3, 2009

Normodyne (labetalol) "I've used Normodyne for over 10 years with no side effects other than tiredness/fatigue which was tolerable until I began an exercise program with a personal trainer. On several workout sessions which involved conditioning exercises. I felt extremely tired to the point of needing to stop. Consulted with my doctor, he advised me that fatigue is a side effect of Normodyne and that a new medicine called Bystolic does not have this side effect. I am now on Bystolic and will continue to monitor the results."

Suz e Q · July 18, 2021

"Since taking Labetalol (Oct 2018) I lose hair, I get so hot I nearly faint, I walk like I’m intoxicated. I have never drank alcohol. My scalp tingles and I have blurred vision. I am tired and sleep too much. If I walk a short distance my heart races. I have strange dreams. I need a test to find out what I am allergic to and my ENT can’t risk it as long as I am on this drug. He said the test medicine and Labetalol could cause swelling in my throat which could kill me. I like the way it takes care of my B/P but I sure don’t appreciate the reactions from the drug. God bless y’all ."

Lynda · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 10, 2022

"I have resistant high blood pressure. I’ve been on at least 10 drugs. What a rollercoaster. I started out with my BP over 300/80. Nothing has worked. Side effects were horrible. The the only drug that has worked is labetolol had to take 800 mg a day to get it to work. After 4 months, I am unable to do anything. Weakness in my extremities. I feel like I’m sinking when I try to walk. I can't get up from the toilet. Doc has tried yet another one. It didn’t work (no big surprise) the newest one I will be trying is Bystolic. Wish. Me luck!"

Pookins · Taken for 1 to 2 years · April 26, 2022

"I have resistant high blood pressure and Labetalol has been the only drug that has worked. I've tried most of the classes of bp meds, and they all have side effects. That's guaranteed. The side effects from Labetalol are very tolerable. Tingling scalp about an hour or two after taking it lets me know it's working. It doesn't bother me. I haven't had any palpitations while taking this drug. I like it."

breathless · Taken for 1 to 2 years · July 17, 2018

"I was using for a year and a half and lost my quality of life because labetalol left very short of breath, extremely tired, weight gain and water retention. I've been off of it for a week and already feeling a big difference. I am also on a high dose flurosemide and the weight and water retention dropping quickly. Quality of life is returning."

ol127 · Taken for 2 to 5 years · March 27, 2020

"I take labetalol 100 mg twice daily. No side effects. I exercise four times a week. It's the only blood pressure medication which works for me. It has never reduced my blood pressure to 120/80 but it does lower it to 140/ 85. I cannot take a higher dosage. Initially the doctor prescribed 200 mg once a day. I did have a negative reaction."

wja · Taken for less than 1 month · May 16, 2020

"I was put on labetalol 100 mg twice a day in Oct 2019 for high blood pressure. The same week I saw my opthamologist and he said my vision had not changed in a year, AMD. I immediately had low BP and had difficulty standing, walking. Was very weak. Adjusted the dose down taking 1/4 of a tab and sometimes 1/2 tab taking only 50 -75 mg a day and could not adjust the the med. I stopped taking it six weeks later. I have never returned to normal BP. I now have labile low bp and losing memory, hearing, and have severe damage from AMD including wet in one eye requiring injections every month. Drs can find nothing to help me. I have not taken any since Dec 1 and this is May 16. I am getting weaker and weaker. My bp is sometimes in73 systolic. Apparently I will die with dementia, blind and deaf. No one should ever take this medication. This medication is dangerous and no one should take the chance for death as this does."

Theoted · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · April 12, 2022

"I was put on Labetatol about seven or eight months ago -- I now get dizzy whenever I stand up too quickly, I feel nauseous frequently, gained more than 30 pounds, trouble breathing and catching my breathe, have no strength to even go for short walks! I worked full-time at a retail store seven months ago and since taking Labetatol I had to retire -- I cannot believe it! -- I have gone from a hustling 68-year-old to feeling like I am dying. Of course it is depressing! My doctor's advice: Cut back on caffeine! Say what! By the way, my BP is better, which is good -- but I feel like I am a dead person."

CatLady85 · Taken for 2 to 5 years · December 1, 2019

"I take 300mg labetalol twice daily for BP. When I first started taking it, it made me feel HORRIBLE. I had decided to just not take it, but my mom talked me into giving my body a chance to get used to it. She was right, now I can't even tell when I take it and my BP is normal."

Georgie · May 6, 2021

"Take 100 mg three times daily for high BP. Very tired, lightheaded at times, and weak. Like somebody else said, not sure if it’s from the Labetalol, or the 60mg if Prednisone I’m on. Sure would love to know the answer! Also, developed a tremor!!!"

MrsP · Taken for less than 1 month · September 9, 2019

"Have been using this to treat high BP, was put on Labetalol 200 mg x 2 a day and it did take BP down to normal for 3 days then back up again. Easy to take, experienced tingling to scalp within an hour of taking each pill but subsided after 4 hrs. About $1 a pill with my insurance. Happy to see these pills are made at an American manufactured"

Loolee · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 24, 2020

"Been on this for 5 months, whilst pregnant and breastfeeding. Felt fine, did a good job lowering my bp, no side effects . docs said I had to change to something else, was worried, had allergic reaction to enalapril, starting new meds tomorrow"

Mom2be · Taken for less than 1 month · November 25, 2021

"Was prescribed 100mg labetelol for high BP during pregnancy. On my third day taking it I feel anxiety, sleeplessness/insomnia, and just not like my usual self. Not sure if I should stop taking it or let doctor know I have follow up in a week. It it helping to control my BP but it wasn’t that high to begin with (140/80) now it’s 129/85."

33 YO Nursing Mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 4, 2021

"I have been experiencing high BP since the end of my pregnancy and now during the postpartum period. I’m on 100 mg twice a day and it has helped manage my BP. I think I may need a higher dose or to add on another med because it’s around 142/86 on the medicine. I experience tingling on my scalp, a little bit of heaviness sometimes when I take a very deep breath, and I’m a little more tired than usual. Otherwise it’s been fine and a much better experience than when my dr tried switching me to HCTZ. I ended up back on labetalol."

Bonnie · Taken for 10 years or more · September 1, 2020

Trandate (labetalol) "I have been on Trandate for at least 20 years for HBP. I take 400mgs twice a day. Some days it lowers my BP to normal and other days it is high. Additionally, I'm taking Hydrolizine 100mg 3 times a day and Isosorbide 60mg 2 times a day. I feel like my body has gotten used to the Trandate and it is not working affectively at all."

kkmay · Taken for 5 to 10 years · July 17, 2022

"I started taking it for high b/p 100mg twice daily. Helped a little. Increased to 200mg and added valsartan. That did the trick. I have never had high b/p. Also my heart rate is normal. I feel tired but that only occurred when I started taking gabapentin. Before that I didn’t tired. I haven’t had high b/p since 2017."

Denise · Taken for 1 to 2 years · August 23, 2022

"I took this for about 15 months. Twice a day I was supposed to but I just admit that I wasn’t the best at remembering. I fell off for a couple months because I don't like taking medication, and I had a scare. Started taking it again. I want to write this review because this medication wasn’t bad for me. The only side effect I has was a tingly scalp. Honestly, I told myself that was blood circulating and maybe my hair would get thicker! Haha I was going through life everyday while taking this medication. Had some break downs. Extreme stress, anxiety attacks, depression. BUT I cannot blame the medication, because there were times I felt at peace. I ready these reviews before I started taking it and was scared. But don’t make the same mistake and give it a true chance. I only got switched to a new medication because this was not bringing my BP low enough."

Anonymous · January 15, 2018

"Excessive weakness, hair loss, nausea, blurred vision, weight gain"

Anonymous · November 5, 2021

"I also had a tingly head from this medicine and I only took it for 2 days before I stopped. You aren’t crazy listen to your body. The tingly scalp was enough to make me stop it"