User Reviews for Labetalol to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Trandate

Labetalol has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 12 ratings for the treatment of High Blood Pressure. 50% of those users who reviewed Labetalol reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Labetalol Rating Summary

6.4/10 average rating

Compare all 286 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Labetalol

Georgie May 6, 2021

“Take 100 mg three times daily for high BP. Very tired, lightheaded at times, and weak. Like somebody else said, not sure if it’s from the Labetalol, or the 60mg if Prednisone I’m on. Sure would love to know the answer! Also, developed a tremor!!!”

33 YO Nursing Mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2021

“I have been experiencing high BP since the end of my pregnancy and now during the postpartum period. I’m on 100 mg twice a day and it has helped manage my BP. I think I may need a higher dose or to add on another med because it’s around 142/86 on the medicine. I experience tingling on my scalp, a little bit of heaviness sometimes when I take a very deep breath, and I’m a little more tired than usual. Otherwise it’s been fine and a much better experience than when my dr tried switching me to HCTZ. I ended up back on labetalol.”

Loolee · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 24, 2020

“Been on this for 5 months, whilst pregnant and breastfeeding. Felt fine, did a good job lowering my bp, no side effects . docs said I had to change to something else, was worried, had allergic reaction to enalapril, starting new meds tomorrow”

Anonymous July 21, 2020

“On this medication labetalol for about 15 months for high blood pressure. It was a horrible experience. I developed POTS due to taking labetalol. Upon standing it would elevate my heart to 170 and resting my pulse would be 55. Doc said it couldn't be from labetalol and assured me numerous times labetalol is super safe. Other side effects were I also felt like I could never breath, I was always dizzy, extremely hot, it would drop my bp so slow upon standing and my heart would race to the point of me feeling like I was going to faint. I became bed ridden for months and EXTREMELY depressed. Thankfully, I ran out of my labetalol prescription and had three days waiting for refill because I called in late. Three days of not taking it and I felt amazing. No racing heart. No low blood pressure. No dizziness. I felt so normal I cried. I could breath again. Listen to your body. Doctors don't always know everything. 15 months of my life I will never get back. It was poison to my body. I'm on 5mg lisonopril now and feel great.”

Anonymous April 3, 2009

Normodyne (labetalol): “I've used Normodyne for over 10 years with no side effects other than tiredness/fatigue which was tolerable until I began an exercise program with a personal trainer. On several workout sessions which involved conditioning exercises. I felt extremely tired to the point of needing to stop. Consulted with my doctor, he advised me that fatigue is a side effect of Normodyne and that a new medicine called Bystolic does not have this side effect. I am now on Bystolic and will continue to monitor the results.”

bessy September 18, 2009

Normodyne (labetalol): “I take labetalol 200mg 3 x per day for the past 6 years. Yes, my blood pressure is down, but I am so tired some days I just lay around all day. I also take diltiazem 180mg and Cozaar 100mg. I am trying to get off the labetalol and go on Bystolic. This medicine (labetalol) saved my life in the emergency room with dangerously high blood pressure. But now I am so sick of it and have gained 20 lbs and cannot exercise. I really want to try the Bystolic.”

breathless · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 17, 2018

“I was using for a year and a half and lost my quality of life because labetalol left very short of breath, extremely tired, weight gain and water retention. I've been off of it for a week and already feeling a big difference. I am also on a high dose flurosemide and the weight and water retention dropping quickly. Quality of life is returning.”

ol127 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 27, 2020

“I take labetalol 100 mg twice daily. No side effects. I exercise four times a week. It's the only blood pressure medication which works for me. It has never reduced my blood pressure to 120/80 but it does lower it to 140/ 85. I cannot take a higher dosage. Initially the doctor prescribed 200 mg once a day. I did have a negative reaction.”

CatLady85 · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 1, 2019

“I take 300mg labetalol twice daily for BP. When I first started taking it, it made me feel HORRIBLE. I had decided to just not take it, but my mom talked me into giving my body a chance to get used to it. She was right, now I can't even tell when I take it and my BP is normal.”

wja · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2020

“I was put on labetalol 100 mg twice a day in Oct 2019 for high blood pressure. The same week I saw my opthamologist and he said my vision had not changed in a year, AMD. I immediately had low BP and had difficulty standing, walking. Was very weak. Adjusted the dose down taking 1/4 of a tab and sometimes 1/2 tab taking only 50 -75 mg a day and could not adjust the the med. I stopped taking it six weeks later. I have never returned to normal BP. I now have labile low bp and losing memory, hearing, and have severe damage from AMD including wet in one eye requiring injections every month. Drs can find nothing to help me. I have not taken any since Dec 1 and this is May 16. I am getting weaker and weaker. My bp is sometimes in73 systolic. Apparently I will die with dementia, blind and deaf. No one should ever take this medication. This medication is dangerous and no one should take the chance for death as this does.”

MrsP · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2019

“Have been using this to treat high BP, was put on Labetalol 200 mg x 2 a day and it did take BP down to normal for 3 days then back up again. Easy to take, experienced tingling to scalp within an hour of taking each pill but subsided after 4 hrs. About $1 a pill with my insurance. Happy to see these pills are made at an American manufactured”

Bonnie · Taken for 10 years or more September 1, 2020

Trandate (labetalol): “I have been on Trandate for at least 20 years for HBP. I take 400mgs twice a day. Some days it lowers my BP to normal and other days it is high. Additionally, I'm taking Hydrolizine 100mg 3 times a day and Isosorbide 60mg 2 times a day. I feel like my body has gotten used to the Trandate and it is not working affectively at all.”

Anonymous January 15, 2018

“Excessive weakness, hair loss, nausea, blurred vision, weight gain”