User Reviews for Labetalol

Also known as: Trandate

Labetalol has an average rating of 5.7 out of 10 from a total of 19 ratings on Drugs.com. 41% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 35% reported a negative experience.

High Blood Pressure
5.7
Hypertensive Emergency
Summary of Labetalol reviews 5.7 19 reviews

Reviews for Labetalol

Anonymous · July 21, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “On this medication labetalol for about 15 months for high blood pressure. It was a horrible experience. I developed POTS due to taking labetalol. Upon standing it would elevate my heart to 170 and resting my pulse would be 55. Doc said it couldn't be from labetalol and assured me numerous times labetalol is super safe. Other side effects were I also felt like I could never breath, I was always dizzy, extremely hot, it would drop my bp so slow upon standing and my heart would race to the point of me feeling like I was going to faint. I became bed ridden for months and EXTREMELY depressed. Thankfully, I ran out of my labetalol prescription and had three days waiting for refill because I called in late. Three days of not taking it and I felt amazing. No racing heart. No low blood pressure. No dizziness. I felt so normal I cried. I could breath again. Listen to your body. Doctors don't always know everything. 15 months of my life I will never get back. It was poison to my body. I'm on 5mg lisonopril now and feel great.”

Anonymous · April 3, 2009

Normodyne (labetalol) for High Blood Pressure: “I've used Normodyne for over 10 years with no side effects other than tiredness/fatigue which was tolerable until I began an exercise program with a personal trainer. On several workout sessions which involved conditioning exercises. I felt extremely tired to the point of needing to stop. Consulted with my doctor, he advised me that fatigue is a side effect of Normodyne and that a new medicine called Bystolic does not have this side effect. I am now on Bystolic and will continue to monitor the results.”

Suz e Q · July 18, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Since taking Labetalol (Oct 2018) I lose hair, I get so hot I nearly faint, I walk like I’m intoxicated. I have never drank alcohol. My scalp tingles and I have blurred vision. I am tired and sleep too much. If I walk a short distance my heart races. I have strange dreams. I need a test to find out what I am allergic to and my ENT can’t risk it as long as I am on this drug. He said the test medicine and Labetalol could cause swelling in my throat which could kill me. I like the way it takes care of my B/P but I sure don’t appreciate the reactions from the drug. God bless y’all .”

breathless · Taken for 1 to 2 years · July 17, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “I was using for a year and a half and lost my quality of life because labetalol left very short of breath, extremely tired, weight gain and water retention. I've been off of it for a week and already feeling a big difference. I am also on a high dose flurosemide and the weight and water retention dropping quickly. Quality of life is returning.”

ol127 · Taken for 2 to 5 years · March 27, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I take labetalol 100 mg twice daily. No side effects. I exercise four times a week. It's the only blood pressure medication which works for me. It has never reduced my blood pressure to 120/80 but it does lower it to 140/ 85. I cannot take a higher dosage. Initially the doctor prescribed 200 mg once a day. I did have a negative reaction.”

Lynda · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 10, 2022

For High Blood Pressure: “I have resistant high blood pressure. I’ve been on at least 10 drugs. What a rollercoaster. I started out with my BP over 300/80. Nothing has worked. Side effects were horrible. The the only drug that has worked is labetolol had to take 800 mg a day to get it to work. After 4 months, I am unable to do anything. Weakness in my extremities. I feel like I’m sinking when I try to walk. I can't get up from the toilet. Doc has tried yet another one. It didn’t work (no big surprise) the newest one I will be trying is Bystolic. Wish. Me luck!”

wja · Taken for less than 1 month · May 16, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was put on labetalol 100 mg twice a day in Oct 2019 for high blood pressure. The same week I saw my opthamologist and he said my vision had not changed in a year, AMD. I immediately had low BP and had difficulty standing, walking. Was very weak. Adjusted the dose down taking 1/4 of a tab and sometimes 1/2 tab taking only 50 -75 mg a day and could not adjust the the med. I stopped taking it six weeks later. I have never returned to normal BP. I now have labile low bp and losing memory, hearing, and have severe damage from AMD including wet in one eye requiring injections every month. Drs can find nothing to help me. I have not taken any since Dec 1 and this is May 16. I am getting weaker and weaker. My bp is sometimes in73 systolic. Apparently I will die with dementia, blind and deaf. No one should ever take this medication. This medication is dangerous and no one should take the chance for death as this does.”

Pookins · Taken for 1 to 2 years · April 26, 2022

For High Blood Pressure: “I have resistant high blood pressure and Labetalol has been the only drug that has worked. I've tried most of the classes of bp meds, and they all have side effects. That's guaranteed. The side effects from Labetalol are very tolerable. Tingling scalp about an hour or two after taking it lets me know it's working. It doesn't bother me. I haven't had any palpitations while taking this drug. I like it.”

CatLady85 · Taken for 2 to 5 years · December 1, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I take 300mg labetalol twice daily for BP. When I first started taking it, it made me feel HORRIBLE. I had decided to just not take it, but my mom talked me into giving my body a chance to get used to it. She was right, now I can't even tell when I take it and my BP is normal.”

MrsP · Taken for less than 1 month · September 9, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Have been using this to treat high BP, was put on Labetalol 200 mg x 2 a day and it did take BP down to normal for 3 days then back up again. Easy to take, experienced tingling to scalp within an hour of taking each pill but subsided after 4 hrs. About $1 a pill with my insurance. Happy to see these pills are made at an American manufactured”

Loolee · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 24, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Been on this for 5 months, whilst pregnant and breastfeeding. Felt fine, did a good job lowering my bp, no side effects . docs said I had to change to something else, was worried, had allergic reaction to enalapril, starting new meds tomorrow”

Georgie · May 6, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Take 100 mg three times daily for high BP. Very tired, lightheaded at times, and weak. Like somebody else said, not sure if it’s from the Labetalol, or the 60mg if Prednisone I’m on. Sure would love to know the answer! Also, developed a tremor!!!”

Mom2be · Taken for less than 1 month · November 25, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Was prescribed 100mg labetelol for high BP during pregnancy. On my third day taking it I feel anxiety, sleeplessness/insomnia, and just not like my usual self. Not sure if I should stop taking it or let doctor know I have follow up in a week. It it helping to control my BP but it wasn’t that high to begin with (140/80) now it’s 129/85.”

33 YO Nursing Mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 4, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been experiencing high BP since the end of my pregnancy and now during the postpartum period. I’m on 100 mg twice a day and it has helped manage my BP. I think I may need a higher dose or to add on another med because it’s around 142/86 on the medicine. I experience tingling on my scalp, a little bit of heaviness sometimes when I take a very deep breath, and I’m a little more tired than usual. Otherwise it’s been fine and a much better experience than when my dr tried switching me to HCTZ. I ended up back on labetalol.”

Bonnie · Taken for 10 years or more · September 1, 2020

Trandate (labetalol) for High Blood Pressure: “I have been on Trandate for at least 20 years for HBP. I take 400mgs twice a day. Some days it lowers my BP to normal and other days it is high. Additionally, I'm taking Hydrolizine 100mg 3 times a day and Isosorbide 60mg 2 times a day. I feel like my body has gotten used to the Trandate and it is not working affectively at all.”

Theoted · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · April 12, 2022

For High Blood Pressure: “I was put on Labetatol about seven or eight months ago -- I now get dizzy whenever I stand up too quickly, I feel nauseous frequently, gained more than 30 pounds, trouble breathing and catching my breathe, have no strength to even go for short walks! I worked full-time at a retail store seven months ago and since taking Labetatol I had to retire -- I cannot believe it! -- I have gone from a hustling 68-year-old to feeling like I am dying. Of course it is depressing! My doctor's advice: Cut back on caffeine! Say what! By the way, my BP is better, which is good -- but I feel like I am a dead person.”

Anonymous · January 15, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “Excessive weakness, hair loss, nausea, blurred vision, weight gain”

Geo · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 21, 2021

For Hypertensive Emergency: “Been on 100 mg Labetalol, 3 three times a day, for 3 months. I’ve developed a tremor, but I’m not sure if it’s from the Lebetalol, or the 60mg/day of Prednisone I’m on!”

Anonymous · November 5, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I also had a tingly head from this medicine and I only took it for 2 days before I stopped. You aren’t crazy listen to your body. The tingly scalp was enough to make me stop it”