User Reviews for Hydroxyurea

Also known as: Droxia, Hydrea, Mylocel

Learn more about Hydroxyurea.

Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia 1 reviews 21 medications

8.3
Anemia, Sickle Cell 5 reviews 19 medications

7.5
Thrombocythemia 3 reviews 4 medications

Polycythemia Vera 2 reviews 1 medications

Summary of Hydroxyurea reviews 11 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Hydroxyurea

Hydrea (hydroxyurea) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "I was asked by my Doctor in Mumbai, India, to take Hydroxyurea 500 for 10 days and I got this Capsules of Hydrea from the store.my platelets were 650000 to start then After taking the capsules for 10 days the platelets count came down to 570000. I was advised to further continue the capsules for another 30 days. After 30 days the platelets count was 432000. I have not experienced any side effects."

Hemendra G Desai November 28, 2016

For Thrombocythemia: "Bad side effects (or what I would consider bad side effects and not to be tolerated) - 71 year old female, 58 kgs: been taking 500 mg a day for approx 2 and a half months. Recently experienced fever, chills, headaches, muscle aches, extreme tiredness, lack of appetite - enough that I could not function and spent days in bed. Waited 5 days, took another dose and was back in the same position the next day. Decided to stop medication for next few weeks. Blood test due in 2 weeks and see Specialist in December."

Lizwon (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2016

For Polycythemia Vera: "My mom is in her 80's and was given this drug a year ago. Shortly after, she developed red (painful) nodules on one arm and then the other that would NOT go away until she was finally put on prednisone. She also has suffered from unexplained sore throat, difficultly breathing, along with no appetite. No doctor can't explain what the nodules are, not even with many, many, biopsies, blood test, cat scans ,etc. She has a feeling of overall sickness that she cannot describe, has been hospitalized multiple times over the last year due to the symptoms. Again, all doctors say it's NOT the hydroxyurea that she has to be given when her hematocrit numbers climb too high. Here we are a year later with no answers and my Mom is still sick."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2016

For Thrombocythemia: "I take this for mylodysplastic/myleoproliferative neoplasm. I got a lot of nausea. Some weight gain. Overall achy feeling. It has been working like it should. Only had to do one up change on dosage. I take 1 capsule twice a day."

daleb378 November 23, 2015

Hydrea (hydroxyurea) for Anemia, Sickle Cell: "Im 18 years old and even though I wasnt a sickle cell patient who had many pain crises , my doctor had still been suggesting me take hydrea since I will be starting college soon ( I guess just to be safe). Since taking it, I havnt had any severe pain crises, but I swear everyday it feels like my back is in a small pain crises. Which is scary because I never know if it's going to become a full blown crises. Im always having to take pain meds, or missing school because of this. Im thinking about if I should stop taking it for a while to see if the hydrea is whats causing this pain. because it can be my birthcontrol pills causing it but I highly doubt it. I wish there were more reviews on hydrea so I could know if it was just me."

BreeM January 19, 2014

For Anemia, Sickle Cell: "When I first started taking Hydroxyurea it made me a little sick. Yet, after about 2 weeks I noticed a slight increase in energy and went from having a hospitalization crisis every 2-3 months to about ONCE a year. I still take pain meds for the smaller pains but my lifestyle had gotten MUCH better. I would recommend it to any person with sickle cell. "

JayDub76 January 20, 2013

Hydrea (hydroxyurea) for Thrombocythemia: "I am on Hydrea due to Ediopathic Thrombocytopenia with platelet counts over 2 milion. I am very young (21) and taking Hydrea for 1 year and a half now. Though it has sinked my platelets I have recurrent anemia and infections (most recently in the lungs). In the beginning I was very tired, legs shook, skin would easily bruise, drugged up feeling from time to time, depressive, muscle pain, burning in legs which was severe and decreased after 5 months, brain fog, stomach pain (still common). Most common symptom would be enlarged spleen with pain. I've had brutal neurological side effects that have been decreasing slowly with time. Nevertheless, Hydrea compared to Anagrelid and Interferon is by far the medicine I tolerate better. "

Meredes Anna January 4, 2012

Hydrea (hydroxyurea) for Anemia, Sickle Cell: "Hydroxyurea significantly improves the frequency of sickle cell crisis, but it has a long list of adverse effects. But if the dose is monitored properly and complete blood count of patient is done on regular basis, than some of the adverse effects can be easily identified and managed accordingly."

dr_solanki August 2, 2011

For Anemia, Sickle Cell: "I've been taking this medicine for about six weeks or so and the problem so far has been that my nail beds are turning black. A little freaked out right now but surprisingly I've been feeling a lot better."

nosilla48 March 30, 2010

Hydrea (hydroxyurea) for Anemia, Sickle Cell: "Haven't been hospitalized since I started taking it. But I did gain a little weight."

gabonance December 14, 2009

For : "I have been taking varying doses of Hydrea for over 9 years to control Essential Thrombocythemia following a thrombotic event directly related to the ET. At the time of diagnosis, my platelet count was over 1,000,000 however under regular monitoring and occasional dose adjustment, I have been able to maintain a stable and normal ranged platelet count. Side effects have been negligible to date."

HydreaET September 20, 2009

For Polycythemia Vera: "I have had Polycythemia vera for 25 years. I was started on hydroxyurea two months ago and recently developed severe petechial hemorrhaging. I was admitted to the hospital with a platelet count of 9,000. I received a six pack of platelets and over seven days (being off the medication) my platelet count had climbed to 74,000. As of Sunday, July 5th, it was at 139,000 (off the medication for ten days). I was given the medication to help prevent the POTENTIAL of developing a blood clot. I have managed my Polycythemia vera pretty well without medication for 25 years (I do take baby aspirin) and wish I had never taken this."

Terri47 July 8, 2009

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate