User Reviews for Hydroxyurea

Also known as: Hydrea, Siklos, Droxia

Hydroxyurea has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 26 ratings on Drugs.com. 58% of those users who reviewed Hydroxyurea reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Anemia, Sickle Cell
10.0
Summary of Hydroxyurea reviews 6.7 26 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxyurea

Jmpage October 17, 2020

For Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: “I have been on hydrea for 3 weeks of 500 mg daily. My platelets have dropped from 924 to 824. I get blood work weekly. I haven’t had any side effects that I’ve noticed. I will be talking to my doctors office in a day or two. I’m anxious to hear what they say.”

Mom September 29, 2020

For Anemia, Sickle Cell: “My son started hydroxyurea at about 6 months of life due to having complications from sickle cell basically from birth. His hemoglobin was dropping, spleen was very large, distended abdomen, jaundice since birth, and first hospitalization occurred at 5 months old due to high fevers after having swollen hands for several weeks. Given his history, we decided hydroxyurea was the best option. 2 years later, his development is normal and no visible side effects from the drug (serious risks remain). He’s smart, affectionate, runs, jumps, shouts for joy, and falls to the ground during tantrums. Hematologist every 2-3 months, limit social interactions especially with sick people, avoid daycare, evening showers, and penicillin as recommended. He’s been hospitalized 3 additional times for high fevers but never for pain. Hydroxyurea is occasionally paused due to blood count. I am thankful hydroxyurea works for him and continue to pray he’ll be cured soon of this illness. We live in the US.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2020

For Thrombocythemia: “I was diagnosed with ET in 2016. I was on Hydroyuxrea for 3 months to bring levels down quickly. All while on the meds I felt horrible. I had, headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath, tingling in hands and feet, shortness of breath, you name a side effect, I had it! I was taking off these meds and was placed on Anagrelide and it worked wonders. No more side effects. Here we are 4 years later and I had a spike in my levels and had to go back on Hydroxyurea and I'm back feeling like rubbish again. I was only on it for 30 days and it had major effects on my body. I been off for 9 days now. I can't wait for these side effects to go away!”

Lizzie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2019

For Thrombocythemia: “Started on 500mg hydroxyurea and got swollen tongue but not anaphylaxis. Asked to try different brand. I responded well to Droxia brand of hydroxyurea and take multiple 200 m.g. to avoid dyes found in other doses and brands. Brought platelets to near 450 (450,000).”

Terri47 July 8, 2009

For Polycythemia Vera: “I have had Polycythemia vera for 25 years. I was started on hydroxyurea two months ago and recently developed severe petechial hemorrhaging. I was admitted to the hospital with a platelet count of 9,000. I received a six pack of platelets and over seven days (being off the medication) my platelet count had climbed to 74,000. As of Sunday, July 5th, it was at 139,000 (off the medication for ten days). I was given the medication to help prevent the POTENTIAL of developing a blood clot. I have managed my Polycythemia vera pretty well without medication for 25 years (I do take baby aspirin) and wish I had never taken this.”

Nancy · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 14, 2019

For Thrombocythemia: “I am taking Hydroxyurea for thrombocythemia. My platelet count was 1,200,000. After one month on 500 mg a day my count has not dropped at all. I have experienced terrible constipation. My last bout I took laxatives, then used a suppository, then had an Enron’s. Finally I drank a bottle of magnesium citrate and finally I had some relief. It doesn’t help they my doctors office never called me back after I left a message that I hadn’t had s bowel movement in almost a week. I was miserable. Since we don’t foresee a time when I can stop hydroxyurea I don’t know how I will cope with the constipation. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. I only drink water. I exercise. But still plagued by this. I also have very swollen feet.”

Nick's mom May 1, 2017

For Thrombocythemia: “I am 80 years and have been taking this drug for 7 years without problems, it kept my platelets around 600,000. Then I developed open sores on my fingers. A blister would form, pop, and then the sore would be exposed and wouldn't heal for weeks. After that I developed wounds on my ankles. I developed 3 open, non-healing ulcers on my ankles that were so painful I had to go to the hospital. All the while my hematologist, my primary doctor and all the hospital doctors shook their heads and said they didn't know what was wrong. Then my son did a google search and found that these horrible skin ulcers and sores were a rare side effect of the hydroxyurea! I am now off the drug and with a new hematologist and a new drug Jakafi.”

Meredes Anna January 4, 2012

Hydrea (hydroxyurea) for Thrombocythemia: “I am on Hydrea due to Ediopathic Thrombocytopenia with platelet counts over 2 milion. I am very young (21) and taking Hydrea for 1 year and a half now. Though it has sinked my platelets I have recurrent anemia and infections (most recently in the lungs). In the beginning I was very tired, legs shook, skin would easily bruise, drugged up feeling from time to time, depressive, muscle pain, burning in legs which was severe and decreased after 5 months, brain fog, stomach pain (still common). Most common symptom would be enlarged spleen with pain. I've had brutal neurological side effects that have been decreasing slowly with time. Nevertheless, Hydrea compared to Anagrelid and Interferon is by far the medicine I tolerate better. ”

HydreaET September 20, 2009

“I have been taking varying doses of Hydrea for over 9 years to control Essential Thrombocythemia following a thrombotic event directly related to the ET. At the time of diagnosis, my platelet count was over 1,000,000 however under regular monitoring and occasional dose adjustment, I have been able to maintain a stable and normal ranged platelet count. Side effects have been negligible to date.”

T40 · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2019

For Thrombocythemia: “Hi, Female age 40, essential thrombocythaemia (ET) diagnosis for over 11 years. Was on hydroxyurea about 8 years ago and wasn’t feeling anywhere near as poorly as now, on one tablet a day for the last two weeks. Platelets before I started were about 1100. Platelets went down a bit after first check and due back next week. Generally I feel extremely tired, brain fog, differently concerning and verbalising, not eating much but gaining weight. I would be asking to go back on Interferon next time I see my consultant. I need to be on treatment as high levels are giving me extreme headaches. I’m from Ireland so only pay up to €120 p/m for all my prescriptions, the rest is covered by my taxes.”

Lizwon · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 20, 2016

For Thrombocythemia: “Bad side effects (or what I would consider bad side effects and not to be tolerated) - 71 year old female, 58 kgs: been taking 500 mg a day for approx 2 and a half months. Recently experienced fever, chills, headaches, muscle aches, extreme tiredness, lack of appetite - enough that I could not function and spent days in bed. Waited 5 days, took another dose and was back in the same position the next day. Decided to stop medication for next few weeks. Blood test due in 2 weeks and see Specialist in December.”

Anon December 22, 2019

For Anemia, Sickle Cell: “My Experience with hydroxyurea For over 15 years I started taking this medicine when I turned 6 years old. Now I am 21 years old. Before hydroxyurea I often used to be hospitalized with severe pain and low iron levels. Since I started on it I have been hospitalized on average once a year, in fact a period of time went on for several years without hospitalization. I was healthy and living a normal life the years I was not hospitalized. I started with 500mg which then increased to 1000mg and then to 2000mg, due to the fact that I got older and put on weight over the years. To this day, I experience absolutely no side effects other than what the disease carries. It is fantastic that you now have other medicines that can perhaps replace hydroxyurea, but to this day you have nothing better than hydroxyurea. This medication is absolutely no cure. You must expect to have crises occasionally. One must have routine checks at the doctor. I live in norway which means a very good health care system”

Hemendra G Desai November 28, 2016

Hydrea (hydroxyurea) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: “I was asked by my Doctor in Mumbai, India, to take Hydroxyurea 500 for 10 days and I got this Capsules of Hydrea from the store.my platelets were 650000 to start then After taking the capsules for 10 days the platelets count came down to 570000. I was advised to further continue the capsules for another 30 days. After 30 days the platelets count was 432000. I have not experienced any side effects.”

S3DDY · Taken for 10 years or more December 31, 2018

For Anemia, Sickle Cell: “I have been taking hydrea since 91 and I have pain still but I do drink a gallon of water a day and take my folic acid as directed. I also take zinc. My hospital admission has decreased significantly. Haven't noticed any side effects from it. Plus I pray and attend church regularly so it is a combination of a lot if things”

smilingtiff · Taken for 10 years or more May 23, 2018

Hydrea (hydroxyurea) for Anemia, Sickle Cell: “Hello. I have Sickle Cell Disease-SS Hemoglobin. My hematologist started me on Hydrea in 2001 & I'm still on it. I'm in my early 40's & it had helped me. I take 4 capsules 500 mg now, but in 2001, my blood count was extremely low. Once on it, it had increased my red cell count, while my white cell count decreased (which it's suppose to do). I have less amount of hospital admissions now. But I have to admit, even though doctors may think it's like a "cure", it's NOT! I've lately been having small pain crisis in joints that made me go to ER but not admitted about 3 months out of entire year. My RBC & WBC counts are still looking good. You HAVE to keep your doctor appointments & tests while on this medication. I do have extreme nausea & have to skip a day sometimes. This medication may work on one Sickler but NOT on another. Now we have another alternative. I hope my experience will help other Sicklers see pros & cons. But we FINALLY have a choice now!”

BreeM January 19, 2014

Hydrea (hydroxyurea) for Anemia, Sickle Cell: “Im 18 years old and even though I wasnt a sickle cell patient who had many pain crises , my doctor had still been suggesting me take hydrea since I will be starting college soon ( I guess just to be safe). Since taking it, I havnt had any severe pain crises, but I swear everyday it feels like my back is in a small pain crises. Which is scary because I never know if it's going to become a full blown crises. Im always having to take pain meds, or missing school because of this. Im thinking about if I should stop taking it for a while to see if the hydrea is whats causing this pain. because it can be my birthcontrol pills causing it but I highly doubt it. I wish there were more reviews on hydrea so I could know if it was just me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 6, 2016

For Polycythemia Vera: “My mom is in her 80's and was given this drug a year ago. Shortly after, she developed red (painful) nodules on one arm and then the other that would NOT go away until she was finally put on prednisone. She also has suffered from unexplained sore throat, difficultly breathing, along with no appetite. No doctor can't explain what the nodules are, not even with many, many, biopsies, blood test, cat scans ,etc. She has a feeling of overall sickness that she cannot describe, has been hospitalized multiple times over the last year due to the symptoms. Again, all doctors say it's NOT the hydroxyurea that she has to be given when her hematocrit numbers climb too high. Here we are a year later with no answers and my Mom is still sick.”

dr_solanki August 2, 2011

Hydrea (hydroxyurea) for Anemia, Sickle Cell: “Hydroxyurea significantly improves the frequency of sickle cell crisis, but it has a long list of adverse effects. But if the dose is monitored properly and complete blood count of patient is done on regular basis, than some of the adverse effects can be easily identified and managed accordingly.”

daleb378 November 23, 2015

For Thrombocythemia: “I take this for mylodysplastic/myleoproliferative neoplasm. I got a lot of nausea. Some weight gain. Overall achy feeling. It has been working like it should. Only had to do one up change on dosage. I take 1 capsule twice a day.”

Avian44 · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 7, 2017

For Anemia, Sickle Cell: “I am 44 I used to take Hydroxyurea for many years. I stop being hospitalize as often I use too. But my nails were brittle ,my belly had bad pain inside, my hair was coming out and last my teeth in my mouth was falling out. Went to the dentist they said it's the Chemo in the drug . So I stop taken it. But my teeth are all so bad now and yet I have no dental. I am great full for not being in the hospital like I used too but my teeth are all mess up.”

JayDub76 January 20, 2013

For Anemia, Sickle Cell: “When I first started taking Hydroxyurea it made me a little sick. Yet, after about 2 weeks I noticed a slight increase in energy and went from having a hospitalization crisis every 2-3 months to about ONCE a year. I still take pain meds for the smaller pains but my lifestyle had gotten MUCH better. I would recommend it to any person with sickle cell. ”

HCW · Taken for 10 years or more February 23, 2020

For Anemia, Sickle Cell: “I am a 69y/o woman with sickle beta+ thalassemia, was having multiple episodes of pneumonia yearly and my doctor thought adding hydroxyurea would lessen them as they are sometime indistinguishable from chest pain syndrome. Plus, my pneumonias were asymptomatic. I started taking it in 2005 and in the beginning, I had hair loss but over time, that adjusted although my hair growth is slow. I have had far less frequent crisis and have not had one since 2016. Before that, I had just 2 minor crisis. I have far less joint pain now and with taking glutamine (since 2018) with hydroxyurea, I am relatively pain free except for my back and stomach. But I plan to continue taking these meds until there is a cure for sickle. If you take it, you MUST follow your doctor's advice and see him regularly for blood tests, etc. It is not a med to not take with a cavalier attitude as it is to help prevent serious sickle cell complications and, for me, it does just that. I am grateful to have it.”

nosilla48 March 30, 2010

For Anemia, Sickle Cell: “I've been taking this medicine for about six weeks or so and the problem so far has been that my nail beds are turning black. A little freaked out right now but surprisingly I've been feeling a lot better.”

Lopsy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2020

For Anemia, Sickle Cell: “Male, 40, living in sub Saharan Africa- Lagos. I’m hbSS and my crises have become less frequent over the course of my life from 5 to 6 times annually as a teenager to max of 1 annually after age 25 till now. I took hydroxyurea for the first time 2 months ago recommended by my haematologist after an unexpected exchange transfusion. My usual short breath is reduced significantly I can climb flights of staircase. The doc says I wasn’t given before because they didn’t think it’s necessary. My nails and palms are usually pale and white but now look normal. Side effects include mild nausea- food doesn’t taste nice anymore. And some constipation - my distended stomach became normal around age 20 but is now back. I go off it for a day once in a while”

kp27 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 3, 2017

For Thrombocythemia: “Medicine takes platelets down but when pharmacy changed manufacturers my skin itches very badly. I will try to go back to old pharmacy”

gabonance December 14, 2009

Hydrea (hydroxyurea) for Anemia, Sickle Cell: “Haven't been hospitalized since I started taking it. But I did gain a little weight.”

Fadi · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 9, 2018

For Thalassemia: “Good medicine for increased red blood cells and reduce masses in spine due to beta thalassemia intermedia”