User Reviews for Gemfibrozil to treat High Cholesterol

Also known as: Lopid

Gemfibrozil Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 280 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Gemfibrozil

gabriel · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2020

“I started Lopid 2 days ago and I am experiencing muscle pain, lower back pain and problems to urinate..anyone experiencing the same side effects?”

Bren · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 6, 2019

Lopid (gemfibrozil): “I have been given this Lopid by doctors due to my triglycerides! For years, I have taken fish oil, statins, Niacin, and all had side effects. But the statins was the worse, which was body aches!! I was 500 triglceride and I started taking fiber pills and it dropped 100 pts. Then a doctor prescribed fibrate 2 x a day and I took them 1 time a day and went from 319 to 133!!!!!”

mendy · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2018

“my body feel achy and painful. Could this medication be the cause?”

lilshaedy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2018

Lopid (gemfibrozil): “I have been on Lopid for 3 months to treat high cholesterol and triglycerides. We have no idea why my levels are so high. After the 3 months was up, I did my bloodwork and just got it back yesterday. Every single cholesterol level that was checked skyrocketed even higher. I am quite disappointed because my total level wasn't too far into the red before starting it. In 3 months time my total level jumped 30 points, HDL only went up by 3 points and it is still dangerously low, triglycerides went down by 20 points, LDL went up by 40 points, any my NON HDL went up by 35 points and now almost as high as the graph will go. Definitely only made things much worse for me.”

G · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2018

“This medication has really helped me. I was hospitalized with severe Pancreatitis and placed in ICU as my body stopped creating insulin. My triglycerides were 7,700 and lipase of 4000. The radiating pain ranked up their with child birth. Gemfibrizol brought my triglycerides down to 130. My 2 complaints are headaches daily and fatigue. I will deal with it if it means my "numbers" stay down. I truly feel the benefits outweigh the side effects. Hope this helps someone.”

Dom · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2018

“This drug worked wonders! Very few side effects except some joint aches and heartburn in the first few weeks. My triglycerides were 480 and in two months they were 109. Diet, exercise and gemfibrozil 600mg did it for me! I also took niacin, fish oils and drank green juice I blended myself.”

JM2326 June 23, 2017

“Doctor switched me from Lovastatin to Atorvastatin and later added Gemfibrozil. My numbers are now, in my doctor's words, "amazing". No side effects.”

Whims · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2017

“I was recently put on Gemfibrozil - 300 x 2 dosage. After 5 days, I became extremely irritable, cranky, hateful... NOT my nature. I felt like I could crawl out of my skin - almost like pins and needles. Achey. Throbbing headache. Hissing noise in head. Anxiety. Jumpy. Tried to rest, but uncomfortable. Poor hubby took the brunt of my awfulness. I skipped the night dose and by morning, I was tired, a bit dizzy, feeling impatient - but not flying off the handle. Headache was minimal but notable.”

Husbandofroze September 28, 2016

“My wife started to take this about a month ago and she had to stop it because she started having stomach pain, now she is is having to have her gallbladder removed because of this medicine!”

Boat1 July 5, 2016

Lopid (gemfibrozil): “Battled High Triglycerides for nearly a decade (400-600 levels). Altered diet (slightly) and was on 1000 mg of Niaspan for at least six years. Not much impact. Last year, I started on Lopid. Fairly religious about taking 30 minutes before every meal. First test after being on Lopid for 2 months, my triglycerides dropped to 88! I was stunned. I've remained on the medicine, but didn't worry about my diet, other than maintaining my weight level. Second results came back at 93! I realize Lopid doesn't work for everyone. But for me, it's a HUGE difference over Niaspan - and without the potential long term side effects.”

Mr Davies · Taken for less than 1 month September 22, 2015

“This is an evil drug .Stay away from it .There are far better medications than this. The drug ravaged my body .I'm diabetic.My Pancreas had been quiet for about two years before this drug .. within a week of taking it .I had a flare up .My kidneys started hurting ,my heart hurt and my chest constricted.I've been off it for about a week and the symptoms remain .This drug has wrecked my life.I'm Hoping over time I'll be back to myself before this drug”

Carlota R August 21, 2015

“This medicine almost killed me. I experienced stomach problems, numbness in both hands and both feet, extreme tiredness, stiff neck, general body pain, water retention that deformed my eyes and the size of my face. It was horrible! I discontinue the medication and symptoms went away. This medicine should be removed from stores is poison.”

Truefix March 7, 2015

“I should be in a medical Journal compared to some of the other triglyceride levels I read on here...I had a staggering 8000 triglyceride level and my pancreas was inflamed and and my A1C was 12...I spent 11 days in the hospital and a month later my triglycerides are at 80 my estimated A1C level is 5.6 ...I have been off insulin for 4 weeks and I did that 2 weeks after I got out of the hospital. Gemfibrozil did the job but like the insulin im taking my self off Gemfibrozil because there are way to many side effects and I'm experiencing dizziness pretty much all day. A proper diet and excercise has helped me conquer these medical conditions. Hopefully everyone on here can do the same.”

heather atl · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 4, 2015

“This product works well with my high cholesterol great medicine”

brakeshoe1 August 17, 2014

“Eye pain,stomach upset,anger,dizziness.”

Connie1208 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2013

“After a life insurance exam I was told my A1C levels were 6.1, equivalent to borderline diabetes. I reported this to my primary physician and she and I both just couldn't believe it, especially since my glucose levels were always well within range. She added this test to my cholesterol blood screening and though it didn't come back as high, it was still 5.9. Bottom line, my cholesterol was creating a new problem, borderline type 2 diabetes. Started on Trilipix and within 7 days had a terrible reaction to it, switched to Gemfibrozil and my HDL went from 65 to 83 (WOW) triglycerides from 142 to 62 (WOW AGAIN) and my LDL from 142 to 113.My A1C to 5.7 which is good. Only complaint - remembering to take it 30 minutes prior to 2 meals a day.”

Anonymous October 15, 2011

“It's worked great for me, but since you're supposed to take it with food I often forget and since the bottle is so huge I don't carry it around outside of my house and often miss opportunities to take it.”

iluvulrd April 28, 2010

Lopid (gemfibrozil): “I have been taking Lopid for quite a few years. My cholesterol and triglycerides are very high to the point of being hospitalized! Do not forget to take this medication as it will catch up with you after three days. It is very painful! I will not forget to take it x 2 a day. It was up to 3000... and I was put in the intensive care unit. My nationality is Hispanic and my favorite food is all the good greasy tacos which I don't have anymore....so now I eat rabbit food and I am still alive.”

TrigsGuy October 30, 2009

Lopid (gemfibrozil): “I've been taking Lopid for almost a year now and have had great results. My triglycerides have dropped dramatically and my over all health has improved. I would have given this a 10 rating but I do have one problem with this medication. It can be difficult to remember to take Lopid 30 minutes before meals. A small adjustment as far as I'm concerned, though.”

StacyTracy October 15, 2009

Lopid (gemfibrozil): “My doctor prescribed Lopid after my triglyceride levels were out of control. I feel great! No side effects and with Lopid and fish oil they are much better. From 1900 a year ago to 160.”

Anonymous October 2, 2009

“This gave me severe diarrhea.”

Anonymous April 7, 2009

“My triglyceride level was 1317 and in one year dropped to 238.”

j.ponzer October 28, 2008

“This drug has lower my triglyceride level from 550 to 49 in 4 weeks. My cholesterol level from 181 to 98. Even my doctor was shocked. I also changed my diet.”