User Reviews for Flonase to treat Allergic Rhinitis

Flonase has an average rating of 4.8 out of 10 from a total of 77 ratings for the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis. 36% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 51% reported a negative effect.

Flonase Rating Summary

4.8/10 average rating

Compare all 271 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis.

Reviews for Flonase

DakJ · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2020

“Back pain, anxiety, hyperactivity, insomnia, dissociation, brain fog, oral thrush, headaches, floaters in vision, sore throat, dizziness, loss of balance, crust in nostrils, odd temperature sensations in limbs. Avoid at all costs.”

Mandy July 8, 2021

“My allergies/post nasal drip were at their worst, so I decided to try Flonase out of desperation. The first day or two I noticed immediate relief for my post nasal drip symptoms - but then the following days I began feeling extremely fatigued & anxious. I've suffered from anxiety & depression in the past and have it under control, so I am always aware when my mental health is feeling off - and the only logical explanation for this change was the introduction of Flonase in my system. I stopped using it immediately, and feel as though I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms - headache, fatigue, brain fog, anxiety - I would've thought I was going crazy, but was so relieved to see that others had similar experiences with Flonase. I'm feeling a bit better each day, but from past experiences with anxiety, I know it will take a bit of time to feel back to normal. In conclusion, I'd much rather deal with post nasal drip than have my mental health sent into a tailspin!”

Saraaa · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2020

“TERRIBLE! Do not use this!! Or be very cautious listen to your body! If you get ANY anxiety STOP IMMEDIATELY! I used it for 9 days. I was having panic attacks every day I didn’t know wth was going on it turned my life UPSIDE DOWN. Finally I figured out it was the Flonase so I stopped using it. The panic attacks stopped but the anxious feelings stayed, had insomnia, no appetite, lost 15lbs, couldn’t work. Literally flipped everything upside down. I’ve been in and out of the hospital they’re checking everything to see if I’m okay, but mainly it effected my hormones especially cortisol. Finally now it’s been almost 6 weeks and I’m finally am getting better. Do not take this!!”

Fox7 · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 16, 2021

“Thank God I looked at these reviews! I thought I was going nuts thinking it was just me that all of this was happening to, and swore it was the Flonase that was causing me issues! My allergist actually had me doing 2 sprays in each nostril TWICE a day!!! I noticed that I started gaining weight, after working hard to lose 40 lbs., I'm back up 25lbs!!! I started using it again after giving it a break due to nose bleeds and burning in my nostrils each time I used it. Plus it just wasn't working, and I was still congested no matter what I did! Also I suffer from anxiety issues, and couldn't understand why it seemed to be so much worse. All of these questions were answered by all of you who shared your experiences, and I want to thank you all so much. The bottle will be going in the trash as soon as I'm finished typing this review! No more Flonase, or the generic fluticasone, for me!”

Lynn · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2020

“This Flonase stuff has been horrible for me. It gave me horrendous headaches, interrupted my sleep patterns and has given me body aches and pains. I know it was the Flonase because 24 hours after stopping it all this has gone away. My allergies are awful but not as bad as the Flonase! This should not be an over the counter drug. The advertising is totally misleading and I can’t believe my physician recommended it. If you are going to try it Please proceed with caution.”

Stayaway · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2020

“Don’t take Flonase if you have anxiety or are sensitive to steroids. I took it for a few weeks and ended up in the ER 4 times! Racing heart, terrible anxiety, nausea, vomiting, severe mood swings and agitation. None of the drs believed me when I said it was Flonase until they discovered I had Cushing’s Syndrome!! Now I’m having to wait weeks for the steroid to get out of my system! Just awful!”

Don't Do It · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2021

““WARNING FLONASE IS DANGEROUS” I only took this for 3-4 times after the second day my heart was 110 all day rushed to ER after the doctor check my blood work my heart is perfect. Never could find out the problem, so keep in mind my heart rate went down after the gave me nitrogen, kept me over night to monitor me on a heart monitor again it’s fine. Keep in mind I have post nasal drip, so Flonase is one of my medication. Ok haven’t had it at all in the hospital heart rate fine, so now I’m being discharged the nurse comes in and bring me the Flonase because I never had it in there. So I take it now I’m discharged going to the car my heart races, it wasn’t until I got home check my heart rate was 108. The only medication I had was Flonase. Now I’m weak, tired, shoulders hurt, joints hurt, throat tighten, cough, can’t breath, my neck hurts, get tired just walking out the car into the house. I stop taking the Flonase it only been 24hr still having symptoms.”

EffFlonase · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2020

“DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION IF YOU'RE PRONE TO ANXIETY! I've been taking this for a few months now and I only experienced a slight decrease in allergies while becoming incredibly anxious and getting random mood swings throughout the day. Frankly, I wouldn't recommend Flonase to anyone if you have even the slightest tendency towards anxiety. It was also making me tired. I'm so glad I finally recognized what was causing this so that now I can potentially have things go back to normal.”

Scary August 19, 2020

“This medication is DANGEROUS. Please do not take it. I would be very surprised if it doesn't end up getting taken off of shelves in the near future. The side effects are horrendous. I would've rather had horrible allergies all day every day than go through what this stuff has done to me.”

OwlJulie · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 21, 2020

“Caused me to have migraines at the base of my head/skull where it meets my neck. I took it for years and I had migraines for years, especially while in bed trying to sleep. Saw my primary doctor for the migraines and they never figured out what was causing it, ran blood tests, etc. I suffered a long time. Then I didn't take it for the period of November 2019, then began taking it again in February 2020, which is when my migraines came back. It triggers severe pain.”

Bean September 23, 2020

“I used Flonase for a short period of time. I had very good results with relief of allergy symptoms, however just a few months later I developed very rapid onset cataracts in both eyes. I was just 61 they came on so rapidly and reduced my vision to the point I could not read labels at the grocery and actually became unable to drive, due to vision impairment I had surgery and lens implants ,my cataracts were the type that could return. That was Feb 2017 and thankfully, I continue to have good vision and I am very healthy I have always wondered if the Flonase caused my cataracts, it is listed as a side effect , which unfortunately , I did not even realize that was a possible side effect until it was too late. I took no other medications and was in excellent health. I was devastated but had a wonderful ophthalmologist MD . The surgery ended up costing me 10, 000 because I had very high deductible insurance I threw away all of my Flonase and decided to never use it again”

JC · Taken for less than 1 month November 7, 2019

“I gave this medication a 5/10 simply that it does a good job at reducing allergy rhinitis symptoms. However I must say that I had to discontinue the medication after one week because of significant side effects. From the first day of use I experienced severe anxiety and insomnia. The next day after stopping the medication I was extremely lethargic with body aches. Pretty powerful drug for over the counter use in my opinion”

Sebastian September 14, 2019

“I moved to Seattle in spring so I started getting allergies, doctor recommended Flonase for it, it helped get rid of it but after a while I started getting this shortness of breath and tightness in chest area, felt like I was gonna pass out a couple times. I’m gonna stay away from it as that is far scarier than being stuffy.”

Jules December 29, 2019

“(False advertising) They sell it in the hayfever section at the chemist for around $30 a bottle in New Zealand (NZ). I thought I'd try something new. It has been a nightmare, taken as directed, ended up with a stuffy nose for a whole week, itchy eyes, then when it got bad I also had a sore throat, coughing, pretty much feels like a flu, all congested up in the chest, feeling tired and hoping to wake up and it gone, its not normal. Wasted my money & time being sick and all at the end of the week.”

Nelson February 8, 2021

“I suffered from stuffy nose, headaches and ears aching for 3-4 years. Numerous sinus infections, antibiotics and visit to Dr and ENT. Nasocort didn't do much, Flonase works! I was hesitant at first as I don't like taking meds- side effects, allergic reaction, etc. My experience has been great, it worth trying if you have tried other things. Its safe and effective. **Side note. 2 years ago we installed a humidifier in our furnace system to keep moisture levels up. GAME changer!! No sinus infections since. Best of luck. Be safe and give it a try.”

SnowBirdie · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2020

“Took Flonase for 7 days. Didn't equate the pressure behind my right eye with this until I got a stabbing pain in my eye and went to the optometrist immediately. He said it's the nasal spray causing pressure behind the eye not in the eye and it is causing the dry eye. I read all the precautions again and "eye pain" is a symptom.”

Guest · Taken for less than 1 month July 1, 2018

“Do NOT buy this!!!!! Like other nose sprays, this does NOTHING to help your allergies. Unlike pills that actually work and cure all your allergy symptoms. Flonase does NOTHING but burn your nose and leave you with a very harsh aftertaste. Their ads are very misleading, and Flonase needs to be taken off the market for good. ”

Kristyrae21 July 23, 2013

“I have awful allergies and have since I was a kid. At 30 years old I finally couldn't take it anymore, and gave in and started taking medicine. I take a prescription strength Claritin, and use Flonase, Fluticasone Propionate. I really like it because it takes effect immediately. I actually like the smell of it. It cracks me up because it is for allergies, yet smells like flowers. I noticed it works best if you blow your nose first and use it first thing in the morning. I did experience a mild nose bleed about a week into using it, but haven't had one since and I have been using it 4 months now.”

blue-sky · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 18, 2020

“Flonase is possibly ok for intermittent use if your nose is completely clogged. I do NOT recommend this for daily use as ENT's and Dr.'s suggest. The more I used this, the more migraines and daily headaches I got. I started feeling better not using flonase and told a Dr. this and he told me to keep using it. So I started using it again, and back came the debilitating migraines. Horrible ones for which nothing worked and for which I had to miss work. Will never go back to this. Nasal rinse only. Giving it 3 stars for the occasional use only.”

CherylM16 March 3, 2016

“I had a stuffy nose for 2 wks, tried afrin & over the counter meds and nothing worked. I used to take rx flonase about 10 yrs ago every allergy season so I figured it couldnt hurt to try. It took about 3 days and now my nose is almost completely cleared up. Before taking this I had sinus pain/pressure, a horrible smell when I blew my nose, constant runny nose, watery eyes. Most times I couldnt even blow anything out it was so clogged. Flonase works.”

Rusty · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 14, 2020

“Flonase has been amazing for me. I began using it to stop my 17 year addiction to Afrin. It wasn't easy at first; I almost gave up. But, after about three weeks, I noticed I didn't need to use the Afrin as much. I used the Flonase exactly as directed and I think this made a difference. My advice is to give it time! I used both Afrin and Flonase the first few weeks. I tried to really cut back on the Afrin and only use it if I had to (still led me to using 4xs per day). One day I woke up breathing just fine and didn't reach for the Afrin, only used the Flonase. For the rest of the day, I didn't use Afrin! It's been 30 full days Afrin free! I never thought I could kick it. Be patient, use it as directed and keep using it! I can breathe better, wake up non-stuffy, can smell perfumes, less sneezing, less headaches, and best of all, I don't have to tote around a bottle of Afrin everywhere I go! I use Costco brand and it worked like a charm and very affordable.”

Maddison_12345678 December 15, 2016

“Flonase SUCKS. The first two days I used it, I thought it was the greatest thing ever invented because my horrible allergies finally seemed to clear up. I forgot to take it one day and woke up in the middle of the night with a stopped up nose, so I took Flonase again as soon as I woke up. It was VERY ineffective that time. I got horrible headaches, insanely itchy eyes, a sore throat, and my mouth and lips were constantly dry. It has been a week since I've vowed to never use Flonase again, and I STILL have the WORST smell in my nose and mouth from that stupid allergy "reliever". If you're wondering if you should hop in your car, make the trip out, and purchase Flonase, I will let you know right now that, that is the biggest mistake.”

Anonymous January 29, 2017

“This has changed my life. I had really bad allergies and would get sinus infections at least once every 2 months and everytime I was on a plane. I discovered flonase while on a trip and was at the end of my rope having antibiotics constantly and I tried the flonase as a last resort for some relief. It wasn't instant but the change was amazing. Since taking flonase i haven't had a infection since and have travelled extensively without any issue. I have recommended to a friend who has horrible allergies and it has helped her almost completely ease her symptoms and even stopped her snoring. Might not be for everyone but with regular use it has worked wonders for me”

Chelleymack · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2016

“Every time I use Flonase it enhances my symptoms to a greater and almost debilitating level. My eyes become red, inflamed, and watery. My nose runs more. My throat becomes red and sore. I am not sure if I am allergic to an ingredient in the spray or not, but it does not provide any relief. Only makes the ones I have multiply.”

lattydah October 27, 2015

“I am a 68 yr old woman and I used this medication for almost 2 weeks. I will never take this medication again. It relieved my seasonal allergies great (runny/stuffy nose and extremely watery eyes) but the side effects were not pleasant and absolutely not worth going through. I experienced; very bad muscular back pain close to my spine, had muscle aches that were all over the place, my hair and body became very very oily, and I had itching on my torso, face and back of head but no rash. The back pain was next to unbearable. All the symptoms have pretty much subsided after 4 days off of it. Never again for me.”

Learn more about Allergic Rhinitis