User Reviews for Symbyax to treat Bipolar Disorder

Symbyax has an average rating of 8.4 out of 10 from a total of 30 ratings for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. 83% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 3% reported a negative effect.

Symbyax Rating Summary

8.4/10 average rating

Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Symbyax

Mulgrew · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 27, 2016

“Symbax is like gold It has done wonders for my bipolar I can sleep at night with no racing thoughts my manic episodes no longer happen my depression is gone and my anxiety level is down I don't have that constant worry in my every day life that I use to have it keeps me level headed”

Mr.Satisfied · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2013

“After years of feeling as though I were slowly losing my mind to ruminations, agitation, depression, lack of focus and general brain-cooties, it finally dawned on me that I was bipolar and I sought treatment. You may read the other positive reviews on here and think they could be written by manufacturers, but you may be underestimating the efficacy of this medication, it is truly amazing. I feel like I did when I was a younger man, before mental illness took hold in my life. My mind is unencumbered and clear. I feel normal! I still can get sad, I still get annoyed by things, I still feel enthusiasm, but it's tempered, appropriate emotion. Symbyax is great. Try it. Minimal weight gain, by the way.”

Von · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2019

“Day 4. Wow!!! I feel alive for the first time in 25 years. Tired first few days but am full of energy. No excess hunger yet either. Just feel great after feeling at the end of the road for so long. Wish I would have been put on this much sooner!”

Bowensss · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2019

“I figured I would wait a couple months to leave a review so I had actual experience urging this medicine. I have come to the conclusion that this medicine is a GOD SEND. I'm able to handle life a lot better now, I’m not sad, aggravated, upset and bitter towards the world anymore. I’m happy, content and excited for what life brings. I started on 3.5/25mg and now I’m at 5mg/20mg. This is the perfect dosing, I’m able to sleep through the night (I do sleep at lot harder now then I did) & I’m not near as anxious as I was. This is a great medicine . I have gained 10 lbs in just a few months but it’s worth every pound.”

Twotammies January 13, 2020

“I have been taking for five years now. I was in a manic out of control state when I was given this med. From day one I was a different person. All my obsessiveness went a way. My original psychiatrist retired and it gets harder to find someone who still uses this drug. It saved my life. I swear”

cowanj2002 March 29, 2009

“Only ten days and I am a new man. I have had zero weight gain. I don't eat everything I see. Racing thoughts are gone. I feel super light. I have energy like never before. I don't procrastinate simple tasks. I don't snap at people. I am way more active and do things that I want. I don't do anything self destructive. Anxiety gone. I am 28 and I didn't have a clue I was bipolar till 8 months ago. I feel like I just woke up and everyone around me can't believe how extremely different I am. I love my new life. I take this with Lithobid. Did I mention how awesome life is.”

Hanging in there. May 23, 2013

“I have been on this medication for over 4 years now. I was able to go to Nursing school and have been working in the field now for almost 2 years. I'm less anxious, I don't get frustrated. I'm calmer. I did gain almost 60 pounds. This has been an issue for me. I also noticed that I'm not in tune as much spiritually which is an issue for me. I stay on the medicine because I have never functioned as well on anything else. I don't cry much, seems like my emotions are hidden somewhat. I'm not sure I like that. I have thought about getting off of the medicine for a while just to see what happens, but afraid of what might happen, so I continue to take it. All in all it has been a good experience.”

anonymous fox · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 21, 2015

“the zyprexa part of this mix means it will work you WILL have weight gain no matter what. But it works I went from daily suicide attempts to being normal within a week of going on this combo. I wouldn't go on this first I would say its a last resort for those who are treatment resistant.”

Kjlowe March 17, 2017

“All I can say is Wow!!! I am myself again after all this time & trying so many different meds. I kept doing more research & finally found my dream drug. Symbyax. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I tiny capsule instead of a handful of drugs.”

~My Girl Friday~ January 11, 2013

“I've been on Symbyax for over 5 years, off and on, but consistently for the last 3. I have found that when I'm on it, I feel like me again. I am not moody, snappy, or self-destructive. When I was manic I engaged in promiscuous activity, large spending and shopping sprees, when I didn't have the money I would turn to stealing. When I was down I could be bed ridden for days, sometimes weeks. I would not go into work, was suicidal and ultimately hospitalized on different occasions at my worst. I was started on many different medications and combinations, but also being an epileptic (also caused some depression) my Dr's and I had to be careful with medicines Symbyax, Depakote, and Trazodone worked! I feel great.”

pito1982 February 13, 2013

“I took Symbyax a few years ago for a month. It was great made me feel happy again and happy about life. Since I suffer real bad mood swings and other stress related issues I stop taking it and it and have not been good without it. Started taking it again. The only knock is you get a crazy appetite and can gain weight if you don't workout and Cotton mouth for days but other than that its a miracle.”

Anonymous June 10, 2009

“I tried several medicines before finding success with this one. My depression and mood swings are under control, and life is manageable. My friends and family tell me that I'm much more enjoyable to be around now. I feel that this medicine saved my life. The only negative effect it has is that I'm hungrier and have gained some weight. I've just had to make adjustments in my diet to eat healthy, but this is a good thing for my overall health too. I feel so great on this medicine that the negative effect is worth it.”

Yors · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2015

“Great medicine. I used Symbyax 3/25 before for depression and it helped a lot. I am taking it now for bipolar it has helped a lot really. The bad thing is the excess appetite, weight gains. But I don't care about the weight as long as it helps me out.”

Anonymous February 2, 2011

“Miracle medicine. I am not the same person. My mind stopped racing, thought I had OCD but that hyperness is gone. I am easier to be with and around, sleep better. Have had no weight gain. I forget a bit more it seems but can live with that. Don't snap at people, calmer, overall just better.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 13, 2013

“I don't get majorly depressed any more or suicidal. My only problem is being so tired all the time. I used to work a lot and be up for days sometimes and required only 3-5 hours of sleep per night. Now sometimes I do nothing but sleep for as long as 5-6 days only getting up to eat, shower and use the bathroom. My energy level has gone from 9 to 3 on a good day. Marriage is in trouble too. I've had dosage adjustments all over the place and am back to my starting dose of 3/25. 6/50 was the worst. Now taking an additional 20mg of fluoxetine during the day but it doesn't help so I'm stopping that. I'll stick with the lowest dose and start drinking coffee or something to get me going. I'm a 52 year old male in good shape. No reason for the tiredness.”

Tbirdnurse · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 11, 2015

“I have been on Symbyax for about 3 yrs.and it works great. Slept like a log, my emotions were suppressed (not sure if that's good or bad). I was recently changed to generic and I am having problems with mood swings and even worse weight gain.”

Happy Customer August 25, 2011

“I've been on Symbyax for almost two weeks. It has been a tremendous help. Only thing I'm worried about is the cost! But this seems to be my wonder drug, I'm happier, healthier, more energetic, on and on. It's amazing! Only problem I would say is I sleep like a rock and it's hard to wake me up, so that can be a good and a bad thing. Good because I need more sleep, bad because if something were to happen you wouldn't be able to wake me up! I still love it though. 9/10 for inability to wake up and cost. I've been on several other medications for months waiting for it to take effect. On this one I felt better after 4 days. ”

Anonymous November 15, 2009

“The first couple of weeks I was flying high on this medicine. The high does eventually come down, but overall I am able to function much better in my everyday life. The weight gain is an issue. If I wasn't a pretty lean person already the weight would be an issue. Thankfully the weight gain has been good for me. The only thing is, I wish, the sweet cravings are unbearable at times. I could eat two pints of ice cream in a sitting--I know scary. For now, the medicine is working. I am not a big on medicine but I would have to say it is doing the job. Good luck to anyone who is skeptical, as I was at one time. But if life can me a little better, why not?”

Mr. Ed August 11, 2010

“I have been taking this medication for over a year. One excellent side effect is that my insomnia is gone. I almost gave up on trying antidepressants as nothing seemed to work for me. Then I was prescribed Symbyax and my life changed for the better in just a few days! This medication is definitely worth a try if you have depression or bi-polar disorder.”

Anonymous November 23, 2010

“I have been taking Symbyax for 3 weeks. I cannot believe the difference its made in my life. I was always against anti-depressants since all I had tried made me feel worse. I haven't had energy or motivation like this in, I cant remember how long! It is hard to wake up if I take it too late in the evening. I'm afraid of the weight gain but I think it would be worth it. I am only giving it a 9 since it is so expensive and I have no insurance.”

Loglady · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2017

“Day one. Exhausted/lethargic Mild Headache Brain fog Slight elevation in mood. Less irritated. Pooped my pants. Seriously. Just as company rang the doorbell. Hopefully this junk passes and gets better.”

Anonymous November 26, 2008

“Have used it off and on for 2 years now. It works wonderfully, and improvement is usually shown immediately. However, it affects my blood sugar immensely and I usually have to quit taking it. If I don't eat constantly I get very sick and shaky because of low blood sugar and because I have to eat constantly I gain weight. The medicine itself works great, it would just be nice to not have to sacrifice feeling well physically for mentally.”

Times2 June 17, 2009

“I was on this for several months and my mentality improved 100%. I have not felt so good in years. I was absolutely amazed by this medicine. I am only giving it a 7 for the simple fact that not only did it cause weight gain, but my ankles and fingers stayed swollen and was painful. I tried taking Lasix to get rid of the swelling, but it just never worked. I really hated to come off this medicine.”

Anonymous August 28, 2020

“This medication Symbyax saved my life! Had tried Everything else”

labajista · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2015

“I've been on this medication for 2 months and this is the best I have felt in the 4 years since I was diagnosed with bipolar I. Only problem is I've gained about 10 pounds.”

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder