User Reviews for Allegra

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Allegra.

Urticaria
8.8

Allergic Rhinitis
6.9

Summary of Allegra reviews 7.8 62 reviews

Reviews for Allegra

For Urticaria "I am 47 years old and I have been suffering from urticaria since 2014. After lots of treatment now I am taking allegra 180mg twice a day...but only when I take allegra my itching reduces (does not completely vanish) but when I didn't take it again erupts. Is there no permanent treatment to it? How long one can take medicine.."

Rakhi dewan (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "From past 1 yr I'm having chronic urticaria. If my diet is clean no hives occurs, it's due to food that I eat. After months of steroids and h1 & H2 antihistamines I have recovered almost 70% now from past 3 days I didn't took any medicine, as I ate some oily food n chicken outside my hives have increased so now I'm taking Allegra 120 mg (half)tablet after reading all the above comments. Next review will be soon"

Muneeb-India (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "Medication worked well...however I could not open the bottle. I had to use plyers and a screwdriver to open the lid. I would recommend an easier to open bottle."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "I take allergy preparations year round, Claritin in fall and winter, and Allegra spring and summer. Both claim to be effective immediately, (within hours) however, my experience is that it takes a week for them to work, so, for a week in spring, and a week in the fall, I take both, otherwise I am miserable with runny nose itchy eyes, sore throat, etc. Both claim to be non drowsy, but for me this is not the case, so I take them at night. I give allegra a middle of the road 5 as a rating, because it's better than nothing!"

nurse23456 (taken for 10 years or more) March 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "Allegra gel tabs make me drowsy were as Regular Allegra does not make me drowsy"

Nurse12345 March 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "I was prescribed Allegra after years of using Sudafed over the counter believing that my sinuses were the problem. My GP and I finally managed to figure out that the problem was allergic rhinitis. I take 180mg on a daily basis and since I've been taking I don't suffer with too much blockage and congestion however I have gained weight since taking this daily. I am doing a trial run of going without Allegra and also Cerazette to see whether bloating goes down. It's brilliant for my allergies without a doubt, the pro's outweigh the cons however I cannot continue gaining weight. Within 6 months of taking these alongside Cerazette daily I have gained 1st. I am trying to find a new alternative although this has worked brilliantly."

mindofabull February 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "Day two... I have taken 2 gel caps and it has not helped. Itchy roof of mouth. Unable to breathe through my nose, it is completely stopped up. Symptoms are worse than yesterday. Eyes are red, itchy and teary. I a cannot sleep. I do not recommend."

Rosalinda Soto February 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "I took two 180-mg doses of Allegra for hay fever on two consecutive nights. The day after the first dose I experienced mild, intermittent nausea and reduced appetite. The morning after the second dose I was bed-ridden for 3 days with severe nausea, intermittent sweats and chills, aberrant thoughts and dreams, and headache. I did not vomit or have diarrhea nor did I have an abnormal temperature. As I write this on the fourth day I am just getting up and eating a little. This was like no stomach flu I've ever had -- I feel as though I have been poisoned. I firmly believe that my illness is a side effect from the Allegra."

Nauseated in California September 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "I started Allegra-D 12 hour in 1999 for allergies that left me with migraines & a neck so stiff that I could barley turn my head. Allegra-D 12 hour was a miracle & one tablet a day brought me back to fully functional. It worked great for 15 years. But in summer of 2015, something changed. I would get a box that didn't work as well, then a box that worked just fine. I emailed the manufacturer to ask if they had changed binders / fillers that might make it harder to metabolize the active ingredients. Of course they said "no". Since summer of 2015, Allegra-D has been about as effective as taking a sugar pill. Don't waste your money. Email the company, demand they go back to the old formulation."

Sak1234444 August 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I have suffered from severe urticaria for years, claritin and zyrtec never did anything for me. I tried oatmeal creams and baths , benadryl and any kind of anti-itch cream I could find, nothing works like Allegra and Pepcid, as long as I take it daily I'm hive free. ALLEGRA is the answer to Hive sufferers."

Hive free August 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "Allegra is too expensive and doesn't do anything for me. Not worth it."

Jlm998q August 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "It seemed to me the reviews here were overly negative for Allegra. For me, Allegra has the fewest side effects. I've never had any drowsiness issues with Allegra.I have noticed that it takes about two hours to get the maximum benefit although starts to work in 20 minutes. It does lose potency after 7-8 hours. I sometimes cut the pills in half so can you extend the effect a little longer. It does provide excellent relief. For extreme pollen levels, I think Zyrtec or Xyzal are a little stronger. But, I would try this because it seems to less side effects if you have not been a regular antihistamine user."

NCResident (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "I have been an allergy sufferer for a long time. When I started taking ALLEGRA 24 hrs. it worked just fine. But, the problem is that this medication works as intended it work for 24 hrs. straight and it keep you awake for 24 hrs. Too. So, if I take a pill of ALLEGRA, at night it keeps me awake. In other words, I stay awake for most of the night and get not sleep at all. This is the reason why I don’t recommend ALLEGRA because it will keep awake and get no sleep at all. I need to find other way to fight my allergies."

P Towers (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "I took the standard dose as prescribed. And not even 30 minutes later I'm sneezing like crazy and nose is running like Niagara falls. Its claims of 24hr relief is garbage."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I have suffered from cold hives for about 10 years now and till this day I have not found a solution. Allegra does nothing for me. I take about two allegras everytime I step out my house and still get hives all over my face and body. Thats more than the recommended dosage for 180mg. I still have hope that theres a cure somewhere out there"

Danniiee (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I have chronic idiopathic urticaria and like a lot of other people on this thread I tried Benadryl,creams, oatmeal baths, changing soaps... didn't help. I tried Allegra for the first time last night and had almost instant relief. I still have some hives but the itching is far less intense and the hive are less red. I am glad I came across some of these reviews!!"

Alexandriagal November 10, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I went to a local clinic to treat Urticaria and was given 60mg of prednisone on my cheek. It had no effect on my body and the symptoms even got worse. Then my doctor recommended to take Benadryl (H1 blocker) and Zantac (H2 blocker) altogether. I took both pills and it made me extremely drowsy (Benadryl) and Zantac actually alleviated my symptoms just a little bit. I woke up next morning and found out that Urticaria has come back. Then someone recommended me to take the Allegra (Fexofenadine 180mg) and it really works without any side-effects of drowsiness. I think Fexofenadine is god given allergy medicine. I tried Benadryl, Zyrtec and Claritin before. Their effectiveness on Urticaria is far less than Allegra."

Works incredible w/o side efct (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I recently had an allergic outbreak of hives ... My doctor prescribed prednisone 6-day pack and steroid cream. I tried benadryl first thinking it would help control the itching. It did not. I was so miserable from the itching the hives caused I was willing to try anything. I came across this page about Allegra. I was prescribed Allegra in the past and it worked really well for my seasonal allergies. I decided to give Allegra a try ... I'm glad i did!!! It Stopped on the itching and cleared up 80% of my hives in 1 hour... Thank God this is Over the Counter. Doctors always tell you to use Benadryl ... it will only make you sleepy and its not very effective at controlling the itch of hives. Unless you take a very large dose."

Gabe773 August 7, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "Been taking this for almost two years and it's been a life saver for me. My allergies get absolutely terrible and one pill makes it go away. Definitely recommend."

Martin B (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I suffered from chronic itch all my life tried almost every other antihistimine to the point I had to start with prednisone every 3 months for a week to get rid of the itch over my whole body eyes running nose I would have such severe itch that I just could not function normaly got 4 hours or less sleep a day. I now use this medicine for 2 days now, after one hour I took the medicine I felt my eyes not itching and my skin feels much better to the point its liveable. Now I hope this will keep working even after some time because all previous medication would only work a few days a week tops so if this will continue to work I can finaly start my life. I'm 22 years old and I finaly have new hope now thank you fexofenadine!"

robin k April 20, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "Had chronic urticaria 3 years ago, tried everything from Benadryl, Zyrtec, Claritin and nothing worked. Took a Allegra 24 hour and 70% of my hives have disappeared leaving me less itchy. Wish I would've found out about this site earlier to do my research. This is my first day on the medication, hopefully it will go away after this week."

JohnHivefree April 1, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "I took Allegra 24 hours recently for the past two days. It works fast and relieves every symptom, but has only lasted for me for up to 8 hours. I then end up having to supplement with Benadryl but it makes me drowsy."

allergiessuck (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "After about 4 years of terrible hay fever, lasting from about September to May, I have finally found my cure! I have tried countless allergy medications, including Zyrtec. None of them seemed to work until my doctor finally told me to try Allegra 180mg. I have not experienced any side effects, except I did have a sore throat about a week after starting Allegra. I definitely recommend this product."

Dacamille December 2, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "My 2 yr old had been suffering from indoor and outdoor allergies since she was 9 mo old. We found Allegra suspension and it works quite well along with her taking Singulair. If she misses a few doses we can tell; her eyes itch and she gets congested. Just started to find the suspension in a larger bottle, so this keeps us from running out. Thanks!"

Mother/Nurse (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 15, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria "I have been suffering from hives on my face (very embarrassing) from food allergies for the last few years. Since I gave birth to my first child it became worse. Finally an allergist suggested I take 60mg of Allegra everyday and for the last week I have been almost 100% hives free. My face is so clear and white again! I feel amazing and confident again thanks to Allegra."

MariaNL29 August 19, 2014