User Reviews for Ortho Evra to treat Birth Control (Page 9)

Ortho Evra Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 276 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Evra

"I'm just about to start my 5th month on the patch and now that my body's gotten used to it, I can honestly say that I love it! I felt completely normal the first month. The second month, however, I experienced mild itching around the patch, extreme mood swing during the "off period", and heavy spotting for 4 weeks while wearing the patch. After the second month, I was back to normal. No itching, no baby, no huge detrimental side effects except for that I increased a cup size, acne is mild/did not change on patch, no more spotting in between periods, and no mood swings. Overall, I would recommend the patch. Easy to use, put it on butt and forget about it for a week. LOVE it."

spreadininfoonmahmeds July 9, 2013

"I'm 19 and this is my first time using birth control. I chose the Ortho Evra patch. I started the patch just over a month ago on the first day of my period. My period was extended and lasted 2 weeks straight then I had a lot of spotting. On the 4th week (off patch) I got my period, cramps and all, and by this point I thought the bleeding would never end! I was extremely emotional and cried almost every day and would constantly ask myself "what is wrong with me." Now that over a month has passed, everything seems back to normal. Larger breasts is a definite pro! I don't feel the need to cry now, and everything is good. Enjoying the patch now!"

Finngirl9 June 27, 2013

"First form of birth control was Zovia. Didn't like it because it made me nauseous all the time. So after a year of being off birth control I decided to try the patch. I like it a lot. No major side effects at all. The only thing is that I did lose my sex drive. Which made me pretty sad but I'd rather deal with that than side effects of other birth controls. I've only been on it for about three months so maybe I still need to wait to adjust. I do feel like I'm gaining weight though. Although I would not completely blame it on the patch because birth control gives you cravings that you can choose to act upon or not. Birth control doesn't make you gain weight. It's what you decide put in your mouth that does. "

Lena g. (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2013

"I've been on the patch for 2 months and I love it. I dont have to remember to take a pill everyday and it increased my breast size."

Nicoler June 20, 2013

"I love the patch. I started out with the pill and didn't feel satisfied. I always felt like it wouldn't work if I took later then the time I had to take it (which was constant). My first week of taking the patch it was annoying and I wanted to take it off but now I hate having that week off the patch because I noticed that whenever I have it off I'm very moody, tired, and have a lot of anxiety. I love the patch because not only it helps my period, no babies, etc. but it makes me feel normal."

KateOlivia (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2013

"I've been on the patch for about two weeks and I guess it works, no baby, and rarely any symptoms, the first couple days I became depressed and slept a few hours but I didn't think anything of it. My one complaint is that I work out often so I'm constantly taking showers and sweating so the edges of the patch are always coming up. My doctor said to just tape them but it worries me. I'm going to try placing it on a less moisture prone area."

Li22ie888 (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2013

"I have been using the patch for 2 months now and I like it. Made my periods lighter and my breast bigger. Things that I don't like that sometimes I peel it off by mistake (scary though) and is hard to hide in public. But is works well. I like the results. 90 percent recommended."

Chiki97 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2013

"I've been on the patch for 3 weeks now, I am now on my patch free week, and I think it's great. There's no itching or Reddening at the placement site and I alternate between placement each week which helps. I feel nauseous every once in awhile but that may be contributed to other things and it subsides relatively quickly. I had a slight headache first day of application but none since. I've had a few mood swings but once again it could be contributed to other things. Oh and my breasts have grown! Which is a plus for some. Slight tenderness but only to touch. Sex drive has increased. And it's so easy to remember! I'm 98 lbs and 5'1"."

KelMel May 29, 2013

"I was exposed to carbon monoxide chronically and it has effected my thyroid. I was having a period every other week when I went into my doctor to see what was going on, and my Lh hormone was way too high. I did my own research into the patch & found out about the increased amount of estrogen and figured I'd give it a try. I had already been on Lo-Seasonique and Seasonique, both were great at first, then I'd have breakthrough bleeding. The patch has completely stopped my breakthrough bleeding. I have gained a small amount of weight, but my breasts have grown so I don't notice it much. The patch does leave a red mark when I take it off, but it's gone within a few hours and I don't experience the itching that others have mentioned!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2013

"I was on Ortho Evra for just about 6 months. I had issues where my whole body would be itchy. I went through visits with a dermatologists and was told it was eczema but then after paying attention to have the patch off for the week of my period I had no symptoms so we found out the hard way that it was indeed the patch that was causing these symptoms. I'm sure this is great for some people, it was very convenient. I chose to be on it because I can't remember to take the pill but this just doesn't work for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2013

"I chose this as my first form of birth control when I was 16, I'm now 20. While it was effective and efficient for me, my hormones were through the roof. I was very emotional and cried a lot. I would recommend this for someone who does okay on high dose birth control. I cried/begged for my doc to switch me to a low dose birth control and ended up on the pill. I'm terrible at taking it but still no baby thankfully."

kim20 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2013

"I've been on the patch two weeks now. The thing that's changed is I had spotting instead of a full period. I so recommend this. I tried mononessa the side effects were instant and horrific. I'm falling in love with the patch"

lovelylady (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2013

"I am 21 years old and I have been on the patch for 2 and a half years now. NO BABY! and no scares either! I live by this patch. I have had no side effects apart from my breasts growing larger (which you can't complain about). "

BekahBops (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 29, 2013

"I used the patch a couple of years ago and do not remember the side effects I am having now. I am nauseous, my breasts are swollen and sore, and I am retaining water. My moods are through the roof and I hope this levels out soon."

D176 April 16, 2013

"I switched to the patch a little over a year ago after being on the pill 'Microgynon' for almost two years. I was getting really bad breakthrough bleeding with the pill so wanted to try something different. The patch has been great for me this past year, though I generally found the easiest place to put it was on my stomach as arms and back just itched too much! My biggest problem is how unsightly it is - I wear black leggings for work 5 days a week and the edges of the patch collect a horrible black lint from them all week. Additionally, if I have a long bath or go swimming the edges start lifting and sometimes I have to change it midweek as its started to peel off. Overall does what it should, and hasn't caused any problems."

Riaa April 14, 2013

"I have tried three different types of birth control: the pill, which I never remembered, Nuvaring, I had terrible side effects and ended up in the hospital due to infection, and Ortho evra. I have been on Ortho Evra for two weeks now and so far it has been ok. My main concern is the red squares left on my skin after I take off the patch. Also, the first day of a new patch is pretty intense. I am VERY tired and sleep more than awake, get very dizzy, and just a little nausea. It really isn't that big of a deal, because it passes in less than 24 hours and I feel great after that. Oh, and no baby!!"

eye of lilith April 8, 2013

"After looking at all birth control I decided to go with the patch since it had the least side effects. This is my first birth control ever and I was worried how I would feel. I read the reviews on here and was expecting a horrible headache the first day I put it on but I didn't feel any different at all. It's still my first week but so far, everything is great! I forget it's even on me and my sex drive is still beyond great!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2013

"I've been on the patch for a month now. So far so good. My breasts look great I've even have a butt now which I'm happy about it. My only complaint is that the first day putting it on it itches. I have a lot of sex drive. Loving the patch so far."

Tes7 March 27, 2013

"I originally took the pill, but the mood swings were too intense for me. I have not experienced any mood swings on the patch. I really like the patch because it cleared up my moderate teenage hormonal acne. I also like that I just have to change it once a week around the same time, and then I can forget about it. In addition, it has been my only form of birth control as long as I've been on it (other than pulling out) and having sex regularly, I have not gotten pregnant. However, it does leave my skin irritated and dry, and it can be very itchy. I prefer to put it on my back, which makes it hard to wear tank tops or other shirts that expose my back without having people ask about it. Overall I think more people should look into the patch"

AmandaBanana March 4, 2013

"I was on Ortho Cyclen 28 day cycle for almost two years. I lost my sex drive, I gained almost thirty pounds in five months, my moods were horrid, and constant migraines. I switched to the patch, which I had been on previously. I'm on my second patch and already my sex drive is returning, I'm dropping some of that weight I gained, and my breasts are growing (they aren't even tender). My only serious complaint is the itching. My skin itches where I place it and leaves a few little bumps that itch and burn. I'll take that and deal with it. Also placement took a while to figure out but the best area to put it on is your shoulder blades. They don't wrinkle and scrunch up, or collect the linty stuff there."

hiskatey93 March 2, 2013

"I have been on Orthro Evra for 3 years. I love it. I have recently noticed some mood swings, and random break downs. I have snapped at customers and my husband. I never know where they come from or why, until one co-worker pointed out that it could be my birth control. I have a normal period. Every month I start on Wednesday, stop on Sunday. I love that I know when it's coming every month! Thinking of switching to Seasonique for the lower periods due to endometerosis. I know it's not good to be on one certain kind for a long period of time."

jessDsmith1 February 27, 2013

"I am 19 years old and was looking for a birth control that was easier for me because I am lazy when it comes to taking pills and forgetful so the patch ultimately would work better with my schedule. I was really nervous trying it out because of some reviews. I jut finished my first month with the patch which I've heard it's the hardest and for me it was really easy. I haven't noticed any mood swings or any other side effects thankfully. I place the patch on my butt-cheek and I would say the very first time I put it on I automatically started feeling cramps on my tailbone and I have also noticed that my hands are super dry like extremely dry now and I got a few rash on my hands as well. Other than that I like the patch."

Jessdee (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2013

"So, I have been on the Ortho Evra for a few days, but what I have already noticed is that it itches, pretty bad, and I already have inflammation in my knees and in my hips, and I put the patch on my right arm and I noticed that the pain in my right knee and right hip has gotten worst. And tiredness and slight headaches, but other then that, I'm loving it so far."

southernsara15 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2013

"I was on this patch for about 3 months, then it stopped working right and was giving me irregular periods and making me really sick. When I finally stop using it last November, I had symptoms of withdrawal and the sickness I was feeling before was intensified. I had not realized it at the time but the patch was majorly affecting my mood, to the point where I would snap at my boyfriend for flicking through channels the wrong way. Now that I am off it and it is all out of my system, I am finally getting back to normal and am myself again. "

A.h. February 13, 2013

"I have been on the patch for about four months now. My biggest complaint would be the weight gain and the acne. Previously I was on the pill and have tried the Nuvaring. The pill made me too nauseous and I forgot to take it all too often. The Nuvaring just didn't suit me. I love that I don't have to worry about this birth control but once a week. I will say that each time I change the patch I do have a day of nausea. I also have minor irritation of the skin wherever I place the patch. I itch pretty bad some days more than others. I find that putting it near my shoulder blades avoids any tugging on the clothing and the lint issue."

LizzD February 12, 2013

More about Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin)

Other brands: Xulane