User Reviews for Ortho Evra to treat Birth Control (Page 13)

Ortho Evra Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 277 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Evra

Boadicea May 6, 2011

"So far so good. We've been using the patch for a year now and are still baby Free!!!!"

Anonymous May 4, 2011

"I have been on the birth control patch for over 3 years now and I haven't had any problems with it. I recommend it to anyone who is forgetful like I am, when it comes to taking the pill."

Aonymous Goddess April 19, 2011

"I absolutely adore Otho Evra. Less pimples. I practically glow! My breasts got bigger by a full cup. I'm always happy my sex drive went up this is the second time I've been on it and I'm never going back! I used Nuvaring and Yaz and a couple of others that gave me yeast infections, acne, low sex drive, and ANGRY mood swings. This is perfect for a forgetful artist like me.. once a week and it works well with my body chemically. I don't know why I stopped it the first time."

maeann2308 April 9, 2011

"Ortho Evra was my first birth control and I have been using it for 2 years now..it works really great except it sometimes falls on the edges but this is normal."

LilHaleyy March 2, 2011

"It may be to early for me to review this since I've only been on it for a month, but I thought I'd share my beginning side effects for the people who are curious. So far I haven't gained weight, or had hair loss, spotting, or any of that. I have had some headaches here and there, as well as nausea which when I chew some gum it goes away in no time, and also some moodiness not a big deal though. By what I've gone through from the start of it, I would say I definitely love this medicine. Absolutely recommend it to others."

Anonymous February 4, 2011

"Yes, the Ortho Evra was effective, but it made me feel absolutely horrible. I faced terrible depression and would cry for essentially no reason, I became hostile and irritable to even my best friend, and didn't even feel like myself. I experienced issues with anxiety, including anxiety attacks and a sense of uneasiness when in public places. I can't recall ever feeling worse about myself."

ACY January 24, 2011

"I've been on Ortho Evra for 10 years...that's right...10 years! I started when I was 17 and I've never had a problem with it. Periods are normal. Sometimes really bad cramps the first couple of days and maybe a headache or two. But those are just normal PMS side effects as far as I'm concerned. I've heard people have gained weight using Ortho Evra but I never had such issues. And most of all, I've never gotten pregnant. My only complaint is Ortho Evra is very expensive. I'm on an HSA now and I pay $79 per month. I wear the patch on my buttocks and I switch sides every week to avoid excess irritation. Sometimes it gets stuck to my underwear or jeans and it's hard to find a replacement if it peels off."

cocoblonde26 November 17, 2010

"Hey all I have been on the Evra patch for two months and am loving it. I have had breast tenderness and slight acne, no weight gain and light period with slight cramping usually have terrible cramping on my period. Hopefully it will stay light and regular. I also hate the lint stuck around the edges, it's horrible but a small price to pay. I suppose I too alternate the patch on my pelvis and have no problems with it falling off. I put the first one on my lower back but my pants kept dragging at it and it did fall off."

Anonymous November 16, 2010

"I was on the Patch for almost 6 years and didn't experience any bad side effects. It was perfect for someone as forgetful as myself. The only cons were the patch may fall off and a rash may develop where the patch was applied. Two years ago, I switched to the Nuvaring upon my doctor's recommendation. It was the wrong move. I was on Nuvaring for 3-4 months and gained 10 lbs! From Nuvaring, I started taking a pill upon my doctor's recommendation (once again!). I took it for 10 months and experienced terrible side effects, including weight gain and night sweats. As soon as I stopped taking the pill altogether, the night sweats stopped. However, my skin started freaking out. I will be consulting with my doctor again about the Patch."

Rookers October 10, 2010

"I absolutely love Ortho Evra. I'd never used a hormonal birth control before, and being super flighty I knew I couldn't be trusted to take the pill. I originally started off with the ring which resulted in non-stop crying, non-stop cramping and constant breakthrough bleeding. Even though the patch and the ring use the same exact hormones in extremely similar dosages, I decided to give the patch a shot. Instantly, I felt worlds better. My period was regular, which was the first time I'd ever had a regular period in my entire life. They're not lighter by any means, but I'll take five days of heavy bleeding over a month of it! Only problem? The patch is prone to coming off if your skin gets very warm and clothing rubs on it, unfortunately!"

Anonymous August 2, 2010

"I was on the patch for six months, maybe a little more and it worked fantastic for me! It regulated my menstruation, so I knew it would come every Sunday. If I took off the patch on a Friday. I never had to worry about getting it in school, or at any random moment. Not only that but it enlarged my breasts, not too much but enough to boost my confidence. Sadly I had to switch to the pills, which reduced the size of my breasts and because the summer was here and I kept the patch on my buttocks, it's not a good look with your bikini. I have even tried the Nuvaring, and after a whole night of constant urination, I took it off and I'm going back to the patch. My doctor has told me the patch is 50/50 safe."

Anonymous May 20, 2010

"I've only been on it for a month, but have tried other birth controls before (Loestrin 24, Microgestin Fe, and Fecom Fe). I was off for about a year since those made me get incredibly nauseous all the time. Over this month on the patch though, I really haven't noticed any nausea or other negative side effects. Sex drive has decreased, and breast tenderness has occurred over weeks 2 and 3, but nothing too bad. It's completely different than other birth controls I have been on, and it's been great! I'm thrilled to see people have been on for 4-5 years and still been happy with it. I'm definitely continuing on it and hopefully I've found one to keep forever!"

supercool24 May 12, 2010

"As with almost every form of birth control, there are side effects with the patch. However, in my case I really feel that the side effects I've had are totally tolerable. I've been using Ortho Evra for about 3 years and have had some occasional breast tenderness and really occasional spotting. I do notice that I break out in week 3 and am pretty moody in week 4. It's really convenient for those of us who aren't "religious" with pills. Thus far I am a happy camper."

Anonymous May 2, 2010

"I started Ortho Evra in Nov. 2005, and am still on it. I put it on my pelvis an inch away from my hip, and have had no trouble with it sticking there. It did not stay in place on my upper arm or butt - probably due to friction. I have side effects: reduced sex drive, breast tenderness in week 3 and patch off week, mood swings and an increase in acne in week 3, and mild skin irritation at the application site. I have a history of migraines with aura. When I was on migraine medication that worked well, Ortho Evra did not cause a problem. Since my migraine medication has stopped working effectively, it seems that Ortho Evra increases my likelihood of a migraine during week 3. I will sadly be switching to a non-estorgen form of birth control."

Anonymous April 24, 2010

"I have been on Ortho Evra going on 4 years now and I really like the convenience of it. It is easy to remember and I enjoy that I know exactly when I will have my period. The first month or so I started using it my body had to adjust so I was a little nauseated the first day of a new patch, but that went away. I change it from one side of my pelvis to another each week. I am considering changing birth controls only because my insurance does not cover it and I pay 50 dollars a month for it, however after reading reviews of some others I will probably just stay on the patch. 50 dollars a month is much cheaper than paying for a baby!"

CarmStl March 3, 2010

"I've used in off and on for the past few years or more (depending on if I was single or not). Indeed, it is simple to remember to use and quite effective. My only complaint is skin irritation from time to time, and tender breasts. Those are the only reasons why I didn't rate this product a 10, but other than that, I'd suggest it to anyone who is in the recommended age/health group."

Anonymous January 18, 2010

"My wife was on continuous patches and she has breakthrough bleeding 365 days a year, nausea, throwing up, headaches, lower sex drive and extreme pain in her stomach which had her wake up in her sleep and crying out in pain especially during her period when not doing the 4th week. The doctors didn't know what it was so they gave her an unconfirmed diagnosis because they couldn't confirm anything else but she's decided to discontinue the patch and so far all of the above side effects have subsided almost completely. "

Anonymous December 22, 2009

"Breakthrough bleeding and very severe mood swings after one year."

Destiny m December 18, 2009

"I just started using Ortha Evra and so far so good! No side effects at all, and have had no problem with the patch falling off. As far as the ladies that have written in this forum about losing their insurance and having to pay for it...does your city have a free clinic? I recently lost my insurance, went to the county clinic and they gave me a 3month supply then and there....no cost! Try that.....the patch is worth it."

Anonymous December 3, 2009

"I was on Ortho Evra for almost 6 years (since my early 20s). I've had very few issues with it... no weight gain, no moodiness, no stale sex drive. All I've experienced were slight skin irritation (where patch was placed) and spotting. I switched to NuvaRing under the guidance of my physician (because of my concerns over the FDA warnings). It was as easy as the patch, but I quickly gained 5-7 pounds over 2 months of usage. Then my doctor put me on Microgestin 1/20 FE. It was the first and will be the last birth control pill I ever take! I have gained 15 pounds over 6 months, experienced excessive night sweats and lost all interest in sex altogether. Now, I might return to the patch."

Anonymous November 21, 2009

"I have been using the Evra patch for a year and a half and it's great. For the first 6 months or so, I would experience nausea on the first day of a new box of patches and gained about ten pounds, but those are my only complaints. It is easy to use and sticks really well. I did have a patch come off ONCE but that was because my skin was not entirely dry when I applied the patch and I also did not press on the patch as long as I probably should have. As a lot of other reviews mention, the patch does form a small dark layer of lint around the edges, which some people find disgusting, but it really isn't that big of a deal. I apply it on the sides of my hips, so it is concealed in a bikini or tank tops. It has never come off in this position."

Anonymous November 15, 2009

"I've been on the patch for nearly 5 years now and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it! With me being such a forgetful person, I just knew the pill wasn't right for me! I change it [weekly] from one butt cheek to another. My patch has never came off! It actually sticks on really good! I can swim all day with it on and not have to worry about it coming off. I haven't experienced any bad side effects or anything besides craving for more sex! I am truly thankful for this invention! If you are a NON-smoker and under the age of 35, I highly recommend the Ortho Evra Patch!"

Kolibri2005 November 13, 2009

"I've been on Ortho Evra for at least a year or two now, I don't exactly remember when I started. So far, it's been the best option for me. I have some negative physical side-effects at first (cramps increased and my skin tends to get somewhat irritated under the patch, although less and less as time goes on) but there are no emotional side effects for me, which was a big plus. I actually felt better on the patch at some points than I did off the patch. I've had very few times where it's fallen off, and I can usually get an extra patch for $20 at the nearest pharmacy. All in all it's been a good experience and it's definitely worth a shot if you have trouble remembering the pill like me."

hmhaas October 26, 2009

"I was on Ortho Evra for 4 years and absolutely loved it! I had no problems with it up until the last year. I recommend this product 100%, if used like package states. It's very easy to use and very convenient, I mean how easy is it to remember to switch it once a week? Very effective as well! I used it continuously (with no off week) because I had really bad headaches during my period week and loved it at first, until about 6 months later and I started have a lot of horrible cramping and breakthrough bleeding. The cramps were more frequent than the bleeding, but just as annoying. I talked with my doctor who told me I needed to force my body to have a period, so I tried that (took the patch off for a week) and that didn't help. My doctor said that with this medication used continuously there isn't enough estrogen and the body can't handle that sometimes. I am currently using Seasonique, which I haven't had any problems with yet. I wanted to let everyone know of my experience, but that I still recommend the product, just not for continuous use."

Anonymous August 6, 2009

"I've been using it for 4 years. Never had a problem. I never had side effects until I got off it for a couple months and then went back on. I got some nausea and vomiting, but I've always had a sensitive stomach so it had to do with a combination of things. All in all, it's the best. I switch from butt cheek to butt cheek each week. It's less likely to fall off if your sitting on it."

More about Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin)

Other brands: Xulane