User Reviews for Ortho Evra to treat Birth Control

Ortho Evra has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 348 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 63% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Ortho Evra Rating Summary

7.1/10 average rating

Compare all 278 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Evra

fluterbrd1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2014

“This is absolutely the best birth control I have ever used. I switched from Nexplanon to Ortho Evra, and if you are thinking of doing the same, I highly recommend it. Let me list the reasons why: 1. Weight loss. I have lost 5lbs in one month, without even trying! I'm back to the weight I was before I started birth control...but my breasts are still birth control sized. 2. Sex drive. Mine had been non-existent since I went on Nexplanon in September. Now, stronger than ever. That might be a downside though, now that I think about it. 3. Skin- no acne! 4. Predictable cycle. (On Nexplanon, I never knew when I was going to menstruate, which was about 90% of the time). Now, a non issue. 5. Don't have to remember everyday.”

Kris · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2019

“I've just come out of the hospital after 6 days being diagnosed with pulmonary embolism which is a blood clot in the lungs, which is a known side effect of Ortho Evra. I would steer well clear of this if you think your blood clots easily. I now have to wear special stockings for blood flow and circulation as well as blood thinner tablets for the next year. Thank you Evra ever so much”

Lubeh · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2021

“This has been the worst 5 days of my life. After the 1st day, I took a pregnancy test because I thought I was pregnant from all the nausea. 2nd day I almost quit my job because I was extremely exhausted, felt helpless and wouldn't stop crying. Every morning I wake up with an upset tummy and cannot brush my teeth without vomiting. I've stopped taking it now and will not recommend it to anyone. You completely lose yourself. It is a nightmare”

5 year user · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 27, 2014

“I switched to the patch after getting Depo-Provera shots for about two years. I have to say I love the patch and that it is extremely effective and very convenient. The only issue I seem to have is that when I take it off, the day I start my period I nearly always get a major migraine, but that could also be linked to my period. My skin is normally clear, way clearer than it was before I was on the patch, and my period does not last as long as they did before I used birth control. My breasts I'm sure are also bigger because of it, which to me is too big. Overall it has prevented pregnancy thus far for me, and I plan on using it for a while.”

PatchRocks · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 5, 2014

“I was on the Nuva Ring before the patch and It was working for me just fine but my sex drive was non existent. I switched to the Patch because I wanted something easy, and let me tell you its amazing! The first two months I did have random cramping and sore breasts but It was manageable and did not really bother me. The patch is easy to remember because I change it on Sunday and that is my "me day": I do my nails, facial, change my patch, and plan the week ahead. The only problem I had was sometimes it did come off, but I easily fixed that my using rubbing alcohol on my bum before I applied patch, now it never falls off. I would recommend the patch to those of us who are control freaks and love to plan everything including your period,”

12344321 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 3, 2019

“I started the patch about a month ago. I have a little uncomfortableness and major mood swing for the first day but that was about it. When I moved the patch to my back, I noticed that my breast started to become more tender but again nothing severe. I was liking the patch until about 2 days ago. I had to check myself into the ER and found out I have a blood clot in each of my lungs caused by the Ortho Evra. I'm only 22. So I am officially off it, but I wanted to share this because I have no family or personal history with blood clots, so anyone can form blood clots. I'm not saying everybody, because it was working fine until about a week ago. But I feel the need to bring awareness to this.”

CarlyJean · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2014

“When I first went to the doctor I was not interested in the patch, she talked me into it and said if I didn't like it after a few months to come back and we would change it. With the birth control pills I used to take I had to pay $50 a month. Although, with the patch I am paying nothing. FREE! Now to the symptoms. The first 3 month sucked between headaches, nausea, being moody, and tired. The worst symptom was cramps when I was not on my period at random times. It hurt so bad and was very annoying. After 3 month of using the patch the symptoms are gone and I absolutely LOVE THE PATCH. I have been on it for about 6 months and the only downfall is that clothes lint collets around it but it's not a huge deal if you put it where no one can see”

Aonymous Goddess April 19, 2011

“I absolutely adore Otho Evra. Less pimples. I practically glow! My breasts got bigger by a full cup. I'm always happy my sex drive went up this is the second time I've been on it and I'm never going back! I used Nuvaring and Yaz and a couple of others that gave me yeast infections, acne, low sex drive, and ANGRY mood swings. This is perfect for a forgetful artist like me.. once a week and it works well with my body chemically. I don't know why I stopped it the first time.”

Anonymous December 3, 2009

“I was on Ortho Evra for almost 6 years (since my early 20s). I've had very few issues with it... no weight gain, no moodiness, no stale sex drive. All I've experienced were slight skin irritation (where patch was placed) and spotting. I switched to NuvaRing under the guidance of my physician (because of my concerns over the FDA warnings). It was as easy as the patch, but I quickly gained 5-7 pounds over 2 months of usage. Then my doctor put me on Microgestin 1/20 FE. It was the first and will be the last birth control pill I ever take! I have gained 15 pounds over 6 months, experienced excessive night sweats and lost all interest in sex altogether. Now, I might return to the patch.”

MS94 September 17, 2014

“I am rating this a 10, because I believe it's extremely effective. I have been on the patch for almost 4 years & I never once had a pregnancy scare. For me I get regular periods, but I also get most of the side effects. After the first few months periods are regular, mine last between 3-5 days. I get more emotional, I get mood swings, cramps, headaches, I bloat, I basically get all the the side effects, but they are not severe. Every once in a while they are pretty bad, but that will only happen once every 6 months-year. On the patch I never gained weight from it. The only thing I truly dislike about it is I will get really nauseous and throw up if I don't eat anything the night before I put a new one on and recently I'll have bloody discharge.”

Anonymous May 20, 2008

“I was on the Ortho Evra patch for a couple years and after the first 3 months of your body adjusting to it, (which you are forewarned about) just regular side effects, mood swings, regular cramps (when your time is almost near) and I believe it gave me a high sex drive. I've been off of it for about 5 months and my sex drive plummeted dramatically. It's extremely convenient due to my forgetting to take the pill everyday. I usually put it on my pelvis and rotate sides each week.”

leigon2 October 7, 2008

“I took this for one to two years. I switched from Ortho Novum 7-7-7 and had no problems with it. My biggest fear was that the patch would come off. I had a couple of them with corners lifing but they never came off (infact it could be painful when you took it off). I came off it to have a baby. I stopped using it in Mid January and was pregnant in February. The patches always leave a "goo" around them. Use alcohol to get it off - normal washing doesn't work.”

Anonymous November 15, 2009

“I've been on the patch for nearly 5 years now and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it! With me being such a forgetful person, I just knew the pill wasn't right for me! I change it [weekly] from one butt cheek to another. My patch has never came off! It actually sticks on really good! I can swim all day with it on and not have to worry about it coming off. I haven't experienced any bad side effects or anything besides craving for more sex! I am truly thankful for this invention! If you are a NON-smoker and under the age of 35, I highly recommend the Ortho Evra Patch!”

liveurlyfe · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 30, 2013

“No mood swings, no acne, no weight-gain, controlled period, protects me from being pregnant, only changed once a week, same sex-drive, and increased a cup size! I love it. Sticky part washes away and I rotate between shoulder blades, it doesn't fall off me, works great for me and I recommend to anyone who has had other forms of birth control issues, this just might work for you.”

Anonymous February 4, 2011

“Yes, the Ortho Evra was effective, but it made me feel absolutely horrible. I faced terrible depression and would cry for essentially no reason, I became hostile and irritable to even my best friend, and didn't even feel like myself. I experienced issues with anxiety, including anxiety attacks and a sense of uneasiness when in public places. I can't recall ever feeling worse about myself.”

Rav · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

“i’ve been on the patch for about 4 months. I haven’t noticed any emotional changes, nor weight gain, but I’ve been spotting throughout using almost every patch. I am not supposed to have a period with the way my doctor set this up for me (taking patches back to back, indefinitely) but I still have them THROUGHOUT using the patch. The first month I bled every single day, then it cleared up for a couple months, now I’m back to bleeding every day. It’s like a mild period, but I’d say it’s more than just spotting. I’m trying to stick with it to see how it plays out, and hoping i will stop bleeding before the 6 month mark.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 26, 2013

“This is by far the best birth control I have ever had. Weight loss, no period IF I keep week 3's patch on through week 4 also. No mood swings and very increased drive. About a cup size increase in breasts. Faster growing hair. Beautiful skin. The only down is constant yeast infections seems like they started since I've been on patch because they never used to be a problem. Otherwise perfect, went from Depo-Provera to the patch and will never regret it.”

Diji January 5, 2016

“Absolutely swear by and love the patch. I place mine on my lower left hand side of my stomach and rotate between two spots to give my skin a weeks breathing afterwards. Yes it collect dust round the outside but it's really not a big deal, and if it is use talc it stops this. I've been on it for nearly two years and only ever had 3 fall off. I have such a high sex drive, it doesn't give me mood swings or make me weight gain. I become slightly emotional on my last day of my gap week but nothing over the top or noticeable! Would 100% recommend it. Have tried various pills and they weren't for me. But hey, everyone's different.”

happytail2014 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 11, 2014

“I gained weight from the Depo shot. I was extremely sick on the pills. The Ortho Evra patch was a gateway to happiness. I had multicystic ovaries that made life uncomfortable for me from random pains and swelling to uncomfortable sex. I tried many different contraceptives and the patch is the only one that helped. My only complaints is the residue from the patch breast tenderness (although I did go up a size and my sex drive went way up). My husband hides from me now haha. Make sure you use as directed. Skipping a few days on The switcharoo will throw your period off.”

Shyanna · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 2, 2014

“I'm 19, I've been on the patch for almost a year and a half, I've recommended it to quite a few of my friends. ITS THE BEST. The first three months are a bit crazy. Constant nausea, tender breasts, emotional but all these things are bearable and seem to fade away after your body gets used to the patch. Easier to remember to change it. It's so convenient.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 3, 2014

“I hadn't been on birth control before the patch but my experience on it has been pretty pleasant. My period is a lot shorter and it comes exactly 3 days after I take my patch off for my week off. The only negative I have found is that I am way more emotional than I have ever been in my life. I cry way more often (when I'm wearing the patch and on my period). Which I find very strange since I had gone from not crying ever, to crying about once a week.”

michelleCruz December 26, 2013

“I've been on the patch for about 9 years going on 10 years. Absolutely love it! It is super convenient, no pregnancies and if you're forgetful like I am it works GREAT! I tried the pill and that made me very nauseous so I decided to give Ortho Evra a try and it was the best decision I've ever made! My breasts grew but that's about the only side effect I experienced. Unfortunately I've been getting a lot of yeast infections recently so I'm going to try the Nuvaring to see if the Ortho patch is what's causing it (highly doubtful). Worth a try though. I highly recommend Ortho Evra.”

steph. · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 24, 2014

“I'm 17 & I've been on the patch for 4 months now. Before this I had been on the pill for a few years but it started to become inconvenient. The patch is VERY convenient for me. I've tried quite a few birth controls for my heavy and painful periods but nothing has ever worked. The patch hasn't made too much of a difference in that area but my skin is clear & I'm definitely protected from pregnancy. The first two months my period was really bad but it got better. I'm happy with the patch and I recommend it. One downside is the color of it though. I'm African American so my skin is brown and the patch is kind of pink like a Bandaid. No big deal though.”

p20oy April 18, 2021

“I have had a difficult relationship with contraceptives in the past - on both the implant and the pill, I had consistent bleeding, in one case every single day for four months. I have been on the patch for over a month now, and have just missed a period (hopefully meaning it's stopped permanently), had no mood swings, no acne, my hair has stopped shedding so much, and I've gone up a full cup size from 32C to 32D. I'd honestly say my breasts looked so much bigger within the first week. I'm a very cynical person as well and I can't even deny any of these pros. Got this on the NHS in the UK where contraceptives are completely free.”

Evra.user August 4, 2019

“I was on the patch in my teen years for six years, went off for about five and have just stopped it again after another two year time of use. There are many upsides to Evra. During my first experience with Evra, I went off of it because I was trying to deal with fatigue and depression. I will admit that it helped a lot! A few year later I developed cystic acne on my chin and could not fix it naturally. I gathered my hormones were imbalanced and decided to go back on the patch. The first year was great, no side affects and periods were healthy and quick. This year I seem to have a lot of severe mood swings and anxiety episodes- often heart palpitations with chest pressure and shortness of breath. As there is no actual trigger for this and I'm happy in my life, its come down to me once again wondering if the hormones are just too much again. I decided yesterday to quit the patch again and have high hopes of returning back to my usual self!”

More about Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin)

Other brands