User Reviews for Ortho Evra

Learn more about Ortho Evra.

Ortho Evra Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 235 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Evra to treat Birth Control

"I was on the patch for a total of 24 hours. By the end of this time I was at work trying my hardest not to pass out and get sick at the same time - took it off and felt completely fine within 20 minutes. From the research I've done, these types of symptoms usually last a few days after you apply a new one, and if I'm applying a new one once a week, that's living in agony 50% of the time! I very rarely get side effects from medication/birth control so this surprised me. You are also at a higher risk with this type of birth control as your body is absorbing a much higher dosage of estrogen compared to the pill. Needless to say, I quickly made an appointment at my doctor to get back on the pill."

kieht (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

"I have been on the patch for 10 months and finally stopped. Every month my side effects would increase just a little to the point that they were unbearable. At the end I had unexplained muscle and joint pain, chronic headaches, none stop for 1 month straight at one point, and migraines 3-4 times a week. Also I had bad cramps and breakthrough bleeding. Muscle and nerve spasms that required physio and nerve blocks and developed hypertension. I am a healthy weight and live a healthy lifestyle, 30 years old and have never had a regular BP over 100/60. When I stopped the patch I had a regular running BP of approx 150/110 and was being put on beta blockers. I am still waiting for these side effects to fully correct but within a week I've improved"

anonomyous85 July 19, 2016

"I'm a slim 25 year old and without hormonal birth control I have an irregular cycle sometimes going 4 months without a period with very long build ups with bloating, hormonal moods and pain on the weeks before it started. I have been using it for 7 months now and I don't think I would use any other form of birth control over this. At first I experienced some cramping into the third week of the cycle for the first 3 months. I noticed my mood is a lot more evened out over my cycle. I also experience little to none of that build up with bloating before my period starts with a now regulated period. Very convenient to use. Another point to note, which is a positive for me is that I have managed to gain some healthy weight since using it."

Chloe91 July 18, 2016

"I started taking the patch because I thought it would be much easier than taking a pill everyday at a certain time and it sure is. Personally I do not experience many side effects at all. When I'm on my period week I do experience more headaches but I take use the patches for 3 months straight so I only have a period every 3 months. I have recently had some issues with them staying on, I always applied them to my behind but now I've started putting them on my arm. I would recommend them, I think they are much more convenient than a lot of other forms of birth control."

SYDRR (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2016

"I have been on the patch for a month and noticed that my nipples are always on hard and my nipples are very sore! Not sure how much longer I can deal with the tenderness"

Kelsm June 22, 2016

"I've been on the patch for 2 months now, and I love it, the only downside to the pill it my periods have became more heavier and I have spotting in between by periods! On the up side by breast are growing, but tend to be sore a week before I get my period. So far it's kept me protected and I love it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2016

"I have been on the patch for a month now. I absolutely love it! I have tried the pill and was having the worst headaches of my life and I was already on the lowest dosage. I gave up on the pill after 3 months. I have finished my fist month and have experienced no weight gain, mood swings, depression or headaches. The only side effects I have experienced are my breasts have grown slightly and become slightly tender before I get my period and I have a little bit more cramping when on my period. Besides these side effects I honestly feel like I'm on no birth control. The only negative I would say is that the patch can begin to peel which is easily fixable with cusion tape. I have PCOS and the patch has been the best option for me!"

Sunshines45 June 6, 2016

"I've been trying this patch for about 3 weeks now and the cramps are unbearable I feel like I need to take midol everyday it's so bad feels like period cramps, I feel so nauseous that I want to throw up and my boobs are terribly SORE not to mention it has caused me to have a horrible yeast infection that I've treated twice in 2 weeks and it just won't subside! I'm hoping after I get through this month of the patch that my body becomes immune to it otherwise this patch is the devil and I HATE it I wouldn't recommend it."

JoanneT June 5, 2016

"I'm 19, average weight and I've been on the patch for 10 months. I love it because you only have to remember it once a week. I hand had zero side effects and it works great. The reason I gave an eight rather then a ten is because its not a 100% effective. I use it with condoms. They say its 99% but I don't believe it. If you don't want to get pregnant always double up contaceprives or at least use withdrawal. I don't think anything should be used alone unless its an IUD, tieing the tubes, or a vesectamy. So double up! But overall the patch makes it easy and not tedious to use a second method."

Anonymous1213455 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 1, 2016

"I just started the patch 2 weeks ago & About 4 days ago I started getting unbearable cramps, that last about 5 minutes, every 20 minutes or so. I have never been in this much pain. I finally took it off & The cramps stopped about an hour later. Not using this ever again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2016

"I started the patch because I had difficulty to remember to take the pill every night. At first I liked it, yes it shows but it was not a problem to me. But however I would apply it the corners would never stick to my skin, which is a problem since the active ingredient is on the whole patch. Plus, the menstrual cramps were much stronger and my period lasted longer than usual. But the last day that I changed my patch, I went into the shower right after and fainted. When I got back up, I was so dizzy I couldn't walk straight. I lied down and threw up. It was like being super hangover, but I barely ever drink. I removed the patch and 30 minutes later I was feeling way better. I'm going back to the pill."

Never ever again May 30, 2016

"The first month I started the patch, I had breakthrough bleeding for about a month. And every time I put a new patch I get very nauseated, and extremely bloated. Those are the only negative side effects I still even after 4 months of being on it. But it does its job as a contraceptive, easy to use, and easy to remember."

Alexandria1993 May 29, 2016

"I loved the results! It is so easy to put on my buttcheek (alternating each week) and forget about for a week. I love how hassle free it is, my insurance even covers it 100% so I don't have a co-pay. I haven't had any issues with it coming loose, but that is one of my few complaints. When I pulled it off the first it felt like a waxing strip, but that's a price to pay for how convenient it is, now I use a little lotion to get it off. I am accustomed to having a few breakouts here and there, however I've been getting huge cystic pimples. They have cleared up and I haven't had any for the last week though. My breasts have gone from D to pushing a DD & extremely tender. I am somewhat moody as well."

thebribri (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

"I've been using the patch for about 6 years, and it's been great. No babies, it's done its job, lighter periods. I occasionally forget to change it and always get scared it'll effect it, but the directions help to explain what to do if miss a day, and it never effected me. I put it on the back of my lower legs, and alternate every week to avoid rashes. I shave the small area right before applying the patch and it makes it really easy to take off, doesn't hurt. Only thing with the leg, pants make the surrounding get black fuzzier. I've been having a problem with lack of sec drive and interest lately (past 2yrs) and I'm starting to wonder if it's from the patch... if going in hot tube or swimming vaca put a bandage over it itll fall off."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 5, 2016

"So, I've had the patch for 6 years and a half now... I remember my first month with it.. it was crazy! I had some mood swings and terrible headaches, but I decided to be brave and just give it a try since it was my very first birth control, and after 4 weeks all the symptoms went away.... Ever since, I've been super happy with it and I jut love it, I never gained a pound with it, never had mood swings with it, never had a baby hahahar... I wear it on my back swtiching from side to side every week and never had irritation of the skin, it has never fall off in 6 years either.. The only issue is now, after 6 years of it, I'm starting to get some spotting. So... Don't give up so easy on the patch!! haha it's not for everyone but it might be 4U"

Marcela10 May 3, 2016

"I have cramps now and get daily headaches.. I truly believe it's from this patch. I will finish this month then maybe go to minastrin which is less estrogen.. I haven't decided yet. I would love to just do natural family planning, side effects aren't worth it."

Anonymous May 2, 2016

"I've actually had no health problems at all with the patch so far and I've been on it just over a month now. I read up on it beforehand and the reviews were playing on my mind but I've had NO sickness, NO headaches and NO spotting which has been great! I've been wearing it on my bum (alternating sides each week) for a few weeks and this seems alright but I'm trying my inner arm now. The only downside of this I've had is the pain when taking it off - I thought it would be like taking a plaster off but it's much worse!! Like getting an unwanted wax each time. Granted this means that it stays on for a week! This is enough to put me off the patch and I'll be trying something different next time."

amc93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2016

"I have been on the patch for over 4 years. No babies so it has done it's job on that matter. Never had any issues with skin irritation where the patch is applied. When I first started the patch I had the worse acne of my life on my face for a couple weeks. Boobs definitely got bigger and more sensitive. I have noticed (and those close to me have noticed) that I have been experiencing bad mood swings lately and have been super emotional for almost the last 6 months. The patch is the only thing I can narrow it down to. Has anyone else had reactions after being on it for so long?"

cupcait (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2016

"So I've been taking this form of birth control for about 2 months but I think I am going to quit after I finish this round of patches. The patch is so easy as I don't have to remember to take it everyday but it has a lot of downsides. They include the glue trapping fuzziness, the visibility of it, gaining weight (I gained 10 lbs), decreased sex drive, vaginal dryness, increased hunger, really sore & swollen breasts, increased acne & oily skin, periods lasting longer. My insurance covered them but I prefer to maintain a slim weight so that is the main reason I am quitting."

bthroop (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2016

"I've been on the birth control patch for over a year now, I love it! never had really bad side effects , my periods would come on time , never had problems with the patch coming off. There are however some side effects I didn't know about, spotting in between periods, feeling nausea , headaches , etc. But all in all I love the patch! not planning on getting pregnant anytime soon!"

cupcake23 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 24, 2016

"I went on the patch after my 3rd child. Within a week after using it I gained 10 pounds. I have been on it for 2 years now and have gained around 30 pounds. My libido is down to nothing. The only good thing I can say about the patch is it has regulated my periods and they only last 3-4 days at a time."

AbcMomma (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2016

"Since I've started the patch I've had an increase in libido like all the time . I wasn't like that before ... I'm not complaining . Lol. But down side my skin broke out bad the first week of wearing the patch . And I gained a bad cough that won't stop . Other than that I love the patch since I've worn it I haven't had weight gain but my boobs have went up a whole cup size so no more pretty bras . Lol ."

Kaykaie February 17, 2016

"I've been on the patch for 8 years. Took it off 2 years ago to conceive my 2nd child and had no problems whatsoever. It does take 3 months to leave your system so keep that in mind before trying to conceive. After those 3 months... BOOM! We were pregnant! Got right back on it after my 2nd was born and have been good ever since! No side effect, I like the fact that I can control when I get my period by removing the patch the week that I want it or putting on a new patch if I don't want it that week. No weight gain, nothing. A in my book!!"

Angieeeeeee (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 15, 2016

"Coming on to the third month of wearing the patch and I loved it but now I am so depressed- I have never had depression before.. But I can't stop crying, like four times a day and I am experiencing such bad mood swings.. Really not great"

Lauren24 February 14, 2016

"switched from the pill because I couldn't remember to take them, and for some reason I always had to clear my throat and cough up excessive mucous throughout the day. I still have my same number of menstrual days which is 6, I've never had cramps. Both the pills and the patch keep my face clear of acne which is a plus. The patch doesn't fall off because I put it below my arm pit where my bra covers it and I alternate sides each week.My only concern with the patch is that it leaves a rash/outline imprint where the patch used to be. It hasn't decreased my sex drive but it has decreased the amount of wetness down there during sex. I want to get off BC completely but I'm afraid to get acne/pregnant."

StacyM123 February 11, 2016

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next

More about Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin)

Professional resources