User Reviews for Ortho Evra to treat Birth Control

Ortho Evra Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 275 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Evra

"I started using this in November, and it was completely fine, I put it on my arms, but as the weather got warmer I needed to cover it more so I put it on my stomach. I’m taking it off on Saturday for my patch free week, but I have decided not to put another one back on. I got really bad headaches and I didn’t really notice why but the more I got them I realised It started when I used the patch. They are super bad that I struggle to get to sleep, I like this patch but my headaches are not going after 6 months."

Bet April 30, 2019

"I started the patch about a month ago. I have a little uncomfortableness and major mood swing for the first day but that was about it. When I moved the patch to my back, I noticed that my breast started to become more tender but again nothing severe. I was liking the patch until about 2 days ago. I had to check myself into the ER and found out I have a blood clot in each of my lungs caused by the Ortho Evra. I'm only 22. So I am officially off it, but I wanted to share this because I have no family or personal history with blood clots, so anyone can form blood clots. I'm not saying everybody, because it was working fine until about a week ago. But I feel the need to bring awareness to this."

12344321 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2019

"I was on the patch for about 6 months. The first time I put it on the skin underneath looked like it bruised, but it was only the first time. I found very minimum side effects mental/emotional wise . Although I did get a weird sensation in my leg sometimes. I stopped taking it after a part because it kept getting ripped off from sticking to my clothes. I put on a new patch because I figured I wasn't getting the full amount of hormones. I decided to get off it after that knowing how easy it was to lose it. Also annoying to have someone constantly ask why the patch is on your arm all the time. I didn't like the way it looked on my butt, and found whenever I sit it would fold with my body. Overall a good option, I just had a scare."

juliaces (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2019

"Was put on Ortho Evra to treat my PCOS just came off dinatte. Wasn’t great at taking the pill, so I tried this patch and omg only had it on a week and I was absolutely crawling the walls. I did read all the side effects before using but I have nausea, anxiety, depression and hungry all the time and no sleep, I also felt it uncomfortable cus my clothes kept catching on to it.. my acne is worse and yes all this in one week!!!! Never again"

Nbbbee (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

"I'm on my third patch, I started it the first day of my period! I've been on my period since I started it, also been extremely anxious and getting pain in my chest (I'm already on anti depressants ), I'm tired constantly and very emotional! The only plus side for me at the moment is the actual patch isn't a problem, I'm gonna persist with it for a little longer and see how things go because it's gonna be a bit of a shock to the system like a pregnancy would be so gonna see if things settle down."

Jam (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2019

"I was on the patch for 5 years I never had any problems always use it has it was directed. I decided myself to give my body a break and after a month I got pregnant and I was okay with it. But I love the patch thinking about getting back on it."

Rara (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2019

"I was on the patch for a total of 3 weeks. About 3 days after I started I got really bad heart palpitations, my anxiety went through the roof. But I could still deal with this. Then I cried for no reason for about the entire time I was on the patch. But again I thought hormones mess you up so just give it a chance. Horrible thoughts was the next side affect. I thought I was not good enough, nobody could ever love me and everyone would be happier if I would just be gone. Yes, these were my everyday thoughts for about 2 weeks. All of this being said, I am a very happy positive person that loves life, I had no reason to be depressed or to think these things. I knew this. My husband removed the patch. A week later I felt like myself again."

Nola January 10, 2019

"I’ve been on it for 3 months now. I was hesistant to go on it, due to reviews. I have tried all kinds of birth controls from the implant to IUD. I am horrible at remembering to take a pill at the same time everyday. With the patch, I find it easy to only have to change it once a week. I have been experiencing some side effects, nothing detrimental though. Since starting this medicine my breasts have grown at least a cup size and are tender, my appetite has increased a lot, and there’s very minor irritation from the adhesive when I take it off, identical to what I get with bandaids- again nothing to bad. Also I have used it to skip periods, but I have found I experience very minor cramps when I normally would be having my period. All in all, I would highly recommend this to anybody as a method of BC that doesn’t require you to take it everyday and isn’t so invasive like the IUD."

Lex (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2019

"Women, please be careful! I used the ortho evra patch for roughly 1.5years and started to suffer with joint pain and stiffness. Shortly after, I was diagnosed with lupus."

Aris (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 21, 2018

"Awful contraception made me really ill dizzy and sick couldn't function its awful."

Amz (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

"I tried the Ortho Evra patch after I'd had complications with another type of birth control. The first thing I noticed was the nausea, I felt everyday for the full 3 weeks I had it on. it was accompanied by hives that had me taking antihistamines like they were smarties and loss of energy probably from the antihistamine meds because they do cause drowsiness. I suffered through it until the fourth week when I had no patch and my skin was smooth and I felt inaugurated after that, putting up with the side effects became hard for me to do. I've taken my patch off early twice now because I'm unable to take the hives. "

Teetee (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2018

"I was on the patch for two and a half years and I gained at least 20lbs... and my weight just keeps increasing. I’ve had really bad headaches before and after my period when I’m on the patch. The only good thing is that my acne is gone and I don’t have any cramps. But still I rather have those things then to gain that much weight. I’m now switching back on the pill. I think it really depends on your body. Everyone is different when it comes to side effects for birth control."

Maggie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2018

"I've been on the patch for 3 weeks now, as soon as I started using it I felt a difference. I researched about the patch before I went to get on it but I didn't know I'd have so many side effects and for so long. For 3 weeks straight I've been feeling like I'm on my period sorta, horrible constant body cramping, very irritable. Nausea and dizziness also very sore breasts. I've been sleeping so much after taking this and still feel tired, I've been sleeping about 12 hours almost everyday. I've also noticed a bit of weight gain too. And I've been having mood swings, feeling depressed and unmotivated, I've been staying in bed mostly. I've only tried the pill and the patch. I'm forgetful for taking a pill everyday that's why I changed to the patch, I don't want to try anything else but I've been thinking about the depo shot. Maybe I should just wait and see if all the side effects will go away, it doesn't really seem worth it to me."

Fay (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2018

"I was unable to use this BC because I had an allergic reaction to the adhesive. Wish I could of tried it longer than 1 week."

Mimi87 July 2, 2018

"It’s horrible!!! I’ve been on vacation and spent lots of time swimming, and the patch peeled off on the second day..... My period was extremely heavy after this. The patch affected my mood in a bad way. I was angry and irritated."

Oks (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2018

"At first I was sceptical about this, but it's actually been great. It's so easy, it sometimes feels too easy; you just put a sticker on and it's stops you getting pregnant. Before, my periods were so irregular, sometimes only having a week between them, sometimes having months. Now, they always come at exactly the same time to the hour. You can also put on an extra patch to postpone it for a week (any longer than that, I tend to get spotting, but some don't). The only side effect I had was a bit of breast tenderness, but that went away after a few months. The only downside is that it does get fluff attached to it, and it does leave some glue after you take it off, but I also put it somewhere hidden, so it doesn't really matter. Would definitely recommend this contraception."

Ant (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 5, 2018

"I've tried many forms of birth control and this works the best for me. Pros: I can remember replacing it every week much better than taking a pill at the exact same time every day. My breasts have grown a full cup size, but they're incredibly sore and dense. I sleep on my side, so this isn't a huge problem. I don't have problems with skin irritation or the patch leaving sticky residue. I rub Bio-Oil on the area after removal. I stick them on my upper thigh and do not have problems with it peeling off, even after bathing, swimming or going to an outdoor sauna/spa. I have never gotten pregnant! No nausea or weight gain (experienced both of these on oral contraceptives). Cons: It leaves a ridiculous (lack of) tan if left on somewhere visible during the summer time! My periods have become unmanageably painful. I keep my patch on for 9 weeks+ at a time then take a 4 day break."

TryingNotToGetPreggo May 8, 2018

"I used the patch and got an autoimmune disease called, drug induced lupus or chronic cutaneous lupus. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS DRUG!!!!"

Missy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2018

"I've been on the Evra patches for almost 15 years. The first few times I used them was a bit trial and error with regards to staying in place and sticking to my clothes. Never had any problems with weight gain. I love how I know exactly what day I will start my period, which is a round 3 days after I've removed my patch and lasts for about 3/4 days, is a light period with no cramps or pains whatsoever. They are a natural part of life. Absolutely the best thing ever invented. Will be coming off them shortly due to getting sterilized. But they've honestly been a god send!"

Daisymay (taken for 10 years or more) April 8, 2018

"Little to no side effects apart from sore boobs the first 1 month with very slight (more annoying than painful) cramping After the first month, it has not been a problem at all! Have had it for 5 months now."

misssilk (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

"I've only been on the patch for 2 days and I’m already annoyed. I've gone through 3 patches already because they’ve either creased or began to peel off which I don’t trust. Even worse the sticky from the patch stuck on to my skin and fluff clothes stuck onto it, leaving a black mark which is impossible to get off. Will definitely be trying out something else"

Navy (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2018

"I've been on the ortho evra patch for 4 years now and I've never had any problems. I was originally put on the patch to combat hormonal mood swings, severe cramps and an irregular period. Since then, my period comes 3 days after I remove the patch and lasts till I put on my next (3-4 days). I've never had any spotting or bleeding throughout the month and my weight has never been affected. My mood is also very stable and I get virtually no cramps/aches on my period. I would highly recommend the patch to anyone."

Adaray (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2018

"Horrible. Was on it about 8 month and almost all off my hair fall off. Do NOT use this!!!"

sunnyrrrr January 28, 2018

"I have PMDD and needed my hormones to be balanced. My mood was atrocious and it had almost ruined my marriage. I've used Celexa 40mg which was awesome however I was unable to have an orgasm. This was very frustrating for both my husband and myself. So my psychiatrist advised me to get off of Celexa after we tried a few other things with Celexa that didn't work. I was on Xulane for 3 months and loved it. The first few weeks I would get a little stomach ache and feeling of nausea but it only lasted for a couple of hours per day. Both were very bearable. My appetite deceased as well. The good thing is I would only eat when I was hungry no more emotional eating. "

Xulane vs Ortho Evra & PMDD (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2017

"I been on evra patch for a year now, no specific mood swings no spotting, normal periods as 7 days, period only starts on 3rd day after removing patch and overlap by 3 days! Breasts have grown I might say a cup size. Some of periods I had very bad back pain some I don't even feel ( so I don't think is anything to do with patch) I have not gained much weight and I think it's nothing to do with patch. If I eat like pig I get fat if and if I cut down on carbs I slim down."

Lucy12356 November 24, 2017

More about Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin)

Other brands: Xulane