User Reviews for Zovia 1 / 35E to treat Birth Control

Zovia 1 / 35E has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 56 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 46% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Zovia 1/35E Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 277 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Zovia 1 / 35E

HealthyandHappy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2019

“I'm so thankful for Zovia! I’ve had awful experiences w/past bc pills (lutera, avian, & yaz) & prefer to take the natural route for health & been very anti pill for a long time. While off the pill, I have struggled w/PMDD that kept getting longer & cramps that caused me to miss work. I had insomnia, irritability, crazy itching on stomach & legs, depression, crying spells, fatigue, muscle pain, flare ups in digestive & reproductive pain & zero sex drive. I was a mess & tried every natural treatment in the book for years w/no luck & in fact was getting worse. I had no quality of life & agreed to take Zovia. Since starting I sleep like a baby, the itching has stopped, I’m calmer, happier, more “sane” & at peace with life. My sex drive is back better than ever & I feel healthy again! cramps are really light. I can function again! The only side effects I’ve had is midcycle spotting & water retention, but having my life back makes those symptoms seem like nothing compared to before.”

August2004 October 10, 2016

“I do not recommend this birth control if you are prone to depression or anxiety, it's absolutely terrible. I was prescribed it to stop my heavy bleeding and painful cramps during my period. It has done nothing to lighten the flow, the cramps are just as bad, if not worse, and I've had complete anxiety, despite my treatment and medication for it. Please be cautious. I wish I'd never taken it.”

Alex · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 29, 2019

“I’ve been on Zovia for almost a year now and love it. My periods only last 2-3 days and after day one are so light I hardly bleed. However for my first month of taking it I had horrible pregnancy like symptoms I had morning sickness and a super strong aversion to cooking meat. After that first month though I acclimated and have had no issues since.”

gymgrrl · Taken for 10 years or more August 2, 2012

“I would recommend this to anyone. I started using Zovia 1/35 in college 20 years ago for heavy periods and this fixed it! They were light, predictable, and only lasted 3 or 4 days, so great. I had virtually no side effects, just the breasts went from a B to a C. I'm now 43 years old and my body is changing so this prescription is not working as well for me, I may need to switch, but it's just due to age at this point.”

GI JO · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 19, 2018

“I started taking Zovia back in 2011, because I was getting 2 periods in one month after getting back from deployment, but I've taken it ever since with NO problems at all. I actually skip my periods each month and still have no issue. I think since I've started taking the pill, I probably average one period a year, due to forgetting to take the pill in the mornings. I started this pill in my 20's and now I'm in my 30's and no changes, other than if I accidentally miss a day, my period will start faster than it did years before. Now it takes a day and a half to start after missing one pill, and it used to start after 2 days in my 20's. But not a big deal. Every one is different and you don't have to take it from me, but it worked for me, give it a shot and change it up if you feel differences right away. It can be scary, I know I was when I first started, but it worked out for the best.”

Girl · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 7, 2019

“I’ve been on this medication for 5 years now and have honestly never had any issues. For the first few years I’d take them and then take the placebos and get my period and it made it so much more bearable, but recently in the last year I’ve decided to just skip the placebo pills completely in general. Never have had any spotting it’s really amazing.”

Anonymous February 28, 2010

“I've been on Zovia for 5 years, and haven't noticed ANY side effects. No weight gain, in my breasts or elsewhere. Before birth control, I had a very light 4-5 day period, on Zovia, it's nearly non-existant, a pantyliner is all I need. I haven't needed a tampon in 5 years. I take Zovia almost religiously on-time everyday, and 5 years and counting, no pregnancies! Other birth controls that I tried really messed with my emotions and I spent a lot of time crying for no reason, so I'm very, very happy with Zovia for not messing up my hormones to the extent that I experience mood swings.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2012

“I have been on Zovia for 4 months. I quickly gained 10 pounds, even though I workout 4 to 5 times a week and watch what I eat. I have gone from a B cup to a C cup, and I have developed horrible mood swings. I also experience bad acne about 4 days before and after my period.”

Kelsey1124 August 21, 2013

“Zovia cleared my acne and helped regulate my period with no pregnancies. However, it caused huge mood swings around my period. I was very irritable and sometimes depressed. Also if I didn't take the pill at the exact same time (or within an hour) I spotted. ”

C C January 17, 2013

“I have been on it for 2 months & have not gotten my period at all! And no I'm not pregnant! It may be good but I do get the slight panic each month. As of now, I don't think I've had any other side effects. Also, it is very cheap!”

Anonymous October 12, 2011

“I started taking Zovia about 5 months ago and I could immediately tell the difference after the 1st month. I started gaining weight, my breasts got even bigger than they already were and they were constantly tender, my periods went from 3-4 days to 7-9 days with horrible cramps, my face became very oily and I started breaking out. I have never had a lot of acne or breakouts but after starting this birth control, it got bad. I have been an emotional wreck and cry all of the time and I'm normally not like that. I think I had every bad side effect a birth control can have so needless to say, my OB has called in a different birth control! Hopefully if you decide to use this birth control, you don't have any of the side effects like I have.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 30, 2013

“I'm 18 and I've been on Zovia for about a year. No weight gain, acne completely cleared up, and never gotten pregnant even if I did miss a couple! However, very bad PMS and irritability. My boyfriend of 2 years finds it very frustrating around the time of my period because I turn moody. Love it though.”

sarahkay · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 20, 2012

“I have been on this pill for 3.5 years and it is my FAVORITE THING EVER. My periods are extremely light, I almost never have cramps or mood swings, and the only weight gain I experienced was welcome and came in the form of a cup size. I haven't had any problems during that time of the month or otherwise and overall, I think this is just a very nice, happy pill. I always use condoms because I'm paranoid but I'm scare-free also!”

needsahug · Taken for 10 years or more June 26, 2012

“I've been on Zovia almost 10 years now. Its cheap and worked for the reason I was taking it which was to prevent pregnancy. I can't say whether it made me gain weight because I figure after ten years its bound to normalize. I can say I get pretty bad PMS but I'm not sure this pill was ever advertised to treat PMS symptoms. I experienced depression, bloat, irritability, anxiety and lethargy the week before every period. I attribute some to my family history of anxiety and depression though, and it was never something I brought up with my Doctor. Never thought there was any reason to change it until now. Recently I did find a side effect to be too much to bear; low libido. I don't even want a man to look at me let alone touch me it's so terrible.”

Birthcontrolbabe · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 18, 2019

“This was my second pill that I was put on, and for the two years of taking it, I’ve felt my mental state completely switch. I’m now so insecure and anxious all of the time, and the PMS I experience is insane. I have to cry multiple times on my period and before because I get overwhelmed and feel literal pain like a buildup if I don’t. The PMS cramping is ridiculous, and it hasn’t done anything for my acne except for make it worse. It helped to regulate my period, but I also sometimes would start on Mondays and other times I’d start on Tuesdays. Also I would bleed like insane amounts of blood one day and the next I won’t even need a tampon.”

Anonymous February 10, 2011

“I have been on Yasmin for a long time but began having break through periods after my third child. My doctor switched me to Zovia and within 3 weeks I gained inches on my hips and thighs. I work out twice a week and watch what I eat so this was concerning. I also developed a LOT of acne on my face. Big red sores that were painful. I have since switched back to Yasmin and my side effects have reversed. Thankfully. It may have been due to the increase in the amount of estrogen from the Zovia.”

Anonymous September 27, 2011

“The good aspects of this pill for me were no weight gain, no loss of sex drive, and my breasts got a bit bigger. However, I could not continue into my 4th month on Zovia because I had such intense mood swings that I drove everyone around me crazy. I had to switch to a different pill because I was on a constant emotional roller coaster. Crying, being angry, feeling depressed, hopeless and paranoid that my boyfriend was cheating on me. I felt like I was losing my mind, and my boyfriend and I almost broke up over it. I became a completely different person, and it only became worse as I was on the pill for longer. Hoping another pill will work better!”

Maria O. March 26, 2015

“I've been on this birth control going on 8 years. Never any weight gain or physical issues, but the occasional mood swings and PMS. Cant say if Ive had an increase in appetite. But totally worth it. Haven't gotten pregnant!”

Anonymous December 5, 2012

“I recently switched to Zovia from Ortho Tricyclen. It's definitely doing what it's supposed to. The side effects that I've experienced since switching is slight weight gain (even though I'm active), B to C cup and some tenderness, nausea, and mood swings (and my boyfriend agrees with me -- this is the WORST side effect). What I do like about the Zovia is that it cleared my face up and made my periods EXTREMELY light and short. I think I like the Ortho Tricyclen better but only because I didn't have any side effects with it.”

Anonymous October 25, 2010

“I used to be on Yaz and really loved it but, I was worried about all it's latest bad reviews. I just switched to Zovia and my breasts are so tender. I thought it would be great to go up a size (I heard this from a friend) but it is really painful. I'm also very bloated which I'm not used to because you never get bloated or acne from Yaz. I get my period next week so still unsure if it will be as light as it was on Yaz.”

Mscunn01 December 12, 2015

“I had to quit this medication because it made me agitated and very paranoid. I was to the point that I was going to quit my job and was convinced that my family was turning on me. I stopped and within 1.5 months everything resolved. I am now on Ocella and it works great.”

A · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2018

“Okay so I started this pill two months ago and I’m currently going on my third month. I have yet to stop bleeding and I developed acne when I didn’t have any before. My cramps also have gotten worse. I also have terrible back pain worse than ever before. I also have moods of irritability where I’ll snap at people if they are doing something even remotely annoying. I wouldn’t recommend this pill at all.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 22, 2012

“I have been on Zovia for 11 months. The first 3 months I had alot of mood swings from: crying to anger, anger to crying, and happy to sad. It was the the most difficult 3 months of my life. I still have mood swings but not as much as in the beginning. It did make me gain weight but prevented me from getting pregnant.”

Girl On A Journey · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 7, 2017

“I have a love and hate relationship with the zovia 1/35 birth control pill. Back when I was younger in my teen years even early 20s it worked amazing. No weight gain at all. I stopped taking it for a few years when I started my family and now 10 years later decided to get back on it. Let me just say, weight gain! I don't blame the pill 100% but I feel like you have got to be prepared for how hungry this pill makes you! So you will be hungrier than usual and eat more and hence gain weight on it. Its getting out of control, I have decided to stop this month.”

Anonymous November 1, 2011

“So after reading the reviews I feel a little bit better because after two weeks of taking this pill I have gained 5 lbs and my breasts went from a normal B cup to a large C cup..usually that would be a great thing, but it's very uncomfortable and the weight gain is upsetting because I work out 4-5 times a week and eat healthily. I used to be on the Nuvaring but it is too expensive so I tried a low dose birth control but on this I was spotting all the time and became very depressed. ”