User Reviews for Yuvafem to treat Atrophic Vaginitis

Yuvafem Rating Summary

2.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 45 medications used in the treatment of Atrophic Vaginitis.

Reviews for Yuvafem

"Yvuafem makes me spot and it gets worse over several days. First yellow and dark brown and then bloody discharge. My doctor checked me out. I’m fine so it’s definitely this medication. I did not have this problem with Vagifem and will tell my doctor the Vagifem is what I want. I am 63 years old. When I use the Yuvafem I have to wear a liner. Terrible medication and should be pulled from the market."

NA (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2019

"1. Tablets fall out of applicator. Half the time I can see the tablet rattling around inside the plastic packaging before I even attempt to open it. 2. Packaging is impossible to separate. I have to use scissors. I'm only 52 and don't have arthritis--I can only imagine the struggle older women must have to open the packaging. 3. IT DOESN'T WORK AS WELL AS VAGIFEM! I've been using it for over a year now and find that my symptoms of dryness, burning, etc. fluctuate from package to package. I never had this problem on Vagifem."

Deen (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2019

"This drug contains polyethlene glycol which can be an irritant! Read the label! No wonder I had constant burning whenever I used this drug. FDA needs to be alerted so other women will not be harmed by it. I had three biopsies of my skin in the vaginal area, which all came back as precancerous. It required constant medication just to keep it from getting worse, but it never completely healed this area. When I finally discovered the glycol and quit using it, my skin has returned to almost normal!"

Gloria (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2019

"I DID NOT NOTICE A DIFFERENCE at all when I switched from Vagifem to Yuvafem except I saved $$$ which was nice! (Paying $5/mo instead of $30/mo). No side effects. The packaging is a bit worse but I just deal with it. Other than that, the applicator, effects, etc. are the same!"

Moosie (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 16, 2019

"**Update from my review dated November 7, 2018** I formally contacted the FDA in regards to what I felt was questionable efficacy of Yuvafem and its poor packaging (as compared to the brand-name Vagifem). The FDA contacted Amneal Pharmaceuticals and Amneal agreed to look into my complaint about Yuvafem's efficacy and its packaging. Amneal wanted me to provide them with the Yuvafem that I had leftover, which I did. It was to be sent back to them anonymously with just a brief history of my experience while on the medication. Since it was done anonymously, I won't have follow up in regards to my complaint, but at least the FDA responded to it and contacted them. I hope this helps others who have noticed a difference after being changed to Yuvafem, or who were started on it initially and continue to have symptoms consistent with atrophic vaginitis. If you feel the drug is not therapeutically beneficial to you, please contact the FDA to let them know. It can be done online."

Westwind Lisa March 14, 2019

"Have had no issues with Yuvafem packaging, inserts, applicator, cuts or losing the pills, noticeable side effects and I have had improvement with atrophy. I'm satisfied."

CHRISSY (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2019

"Can only use brand name Vagifem. Generic does not work at all. Packaging is horrible and symptoms of burning, itching, dryness, and feeling of a UTI, and constantly having to urinate are what happens when using generic. Had to go back to using Vagifem. Unfortunately the copay is really high until I meet my deductible. Insurance needs to offer this medication at a more affordable cost."

Sam (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2019

"I took one dose of this medication and thought I was having a heart attack or stroke Severe anxiety Profuse sweating Nausea Awful headache Insomnia Racing heart Shortness of breath Worst thing ever I will never ever use this again I have reported to the FDA "

Licy (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2019

"Agree with others that the Yuvafem packaging is terrible. Have to use scissors and have cut my fingers on the packaging. The applicator is not very comfortable but works fine. I’ve never had a problem with tablets falling out or not dissolving completely. Biggest complaint is the medication does very little to help with painful dryness and causes me horrible hot flashes and flu like aching as well as terrible joint pain."

KLB529 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2019

"I also have problems with separating and opening the applicator. The applicator cuts me each time and causes pain for a few days after. I plan to try using a different applicator or ask my Dr. to switch me to Vagifem."

rle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 28, 2019

"1 night using application after a week of hesitation and reservations. Applicator was great to use and I woke up in an unusual amount of sweat. Can't wait to see what tonight results will be. The side effects are scary."

tootired (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2019

"This tablet is in a terrible packaging. I've already cut my finger on it. And the inserts are very difficult to use, unlike Vagifem. However, I just found out Vagifem is no longer manufactured, and my insurance company is sending me a product made somewhere else. I am VERY scared to use this because other countries drugs manufacturers have very little any regulation and quality control. I don't know what to do at this point, but someone in the FDA (a female!) needs to look into the packaging of the Yuvafem."

jan (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 10, 2019

"I used Vagifem for 4 years beginning when I was 68 years old. It was highly effective. I no longer had vaginal dryness. Sexual intercourse was pain and irritation free. About 4 months ago my insurance company stopped covering this drug. I was switched to Yuvafem. I agree with others that the packaging is much inferior to Vagifem’s. I have the same problem opening etc. But I could adjust to the inconvenience. However, I am going back on Vagifem because of how ineffective Yuvafem is. My labia and vagina are very dry again. Sexual intercourse is very painful. It is just like before I went on Vagifem. I feel Yuvafem is a waste of my money and has caused me pain and discomfort while promising to provide the same results as Vagifem. I plan to ask my physician to be my advocate with my insurance company about covering Vagifem again."

Avra (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2018

"I was on vagifem for 10 years without any problems except Medicare kept raising the co pay..but I was very willing to pay my share of well over $200 For three month's supply. Then Medicare stopped covering it and changed to yuvafem. Last Friday I used my first pill insert and felt some burning in vagina and urethra. It finally subsided after 12 hrs. The following Tuesday I inserted my next dosage and 3 hrs later woke up with intense burning. I had to get an ice pk to help ease the terrible burning. I will be calling the manufacturer, my GYN and my insurance. I will ask my GYN to prescribe me the vagifem and pay for it out of pocket. I can NOT endure another night in this intense burning!"

Jan (taken for 10 years or more) December 5, 2018

"I am a post-menopausal physician who began using Vagifem in 2011 after a total hysterectomy. I had absolutely no problems with Vagifem. It helped with my urogenital symptoms, such as dryness and urinary frequency. When Yuvafem came out, I was also changed to it via my mail-in pharmacy. I started experiencing a significant increase in vaginal irritation, vulvar dryness, and urinary frequency. I had been having vaginal discharge the day after I inserted the tablet with increased irritation and itching. I never had any significant discharge or irritation when using Vagifem. My symptoms got so bad that at the end of September I went back on brand-name Vagifem. My symptoms have been gradually improving. Given my experience, and the fact that so many others on this site and elsewhere have had a similar issues, I contacted the FDA. I also complained to them in regards to the poor packaging. I feel Yuvafem needs further investigation."

Westwind LIsa November 7, 2018

"I took Vagifem for 5 years for prevention of UTI. It worked very well. My insurance switched to Yuvafem and wouldn't cover Vagifem anymore. So I have been using Yuvafem for the past 2 months. I agree with the reviews: poor packaging (needing scissors to separate the applicators), the tablets coming out of the applicators within the packaging. I don't know about the effectiveness for sure but 2 weeks ago I had my first UTI in 5 years."

Bovary (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2018

"Vagifem worked fine for years. Then insurance started sending Teva which was horrible. Applicator didn't work right and it was not effective, leaving me sore. Then insurance sent Uvafem. Applicators were better, but the medicine was not helping. In fact, everything was worse. I was sore all the time. Just recently my doctor prescribed brand only (Vagifem), but the insurance wouldn't release it until I used up the other. I argued with them and my doctor wouldn't get involved saying they had no ability to overrule the insurance company. Why does the insurance control our health?? Shouldn't the doctor's change in prescription be enough? Finally, a kindly pharmacist intervened and got me a prescription for Vagifem. I was so desperate I was willing to pay full price, but he was able to get it on my insurance. So glad to hear I am not alone, but wondering how we can get this changed. Insurance companies should not rule our health."

Carol (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 13, 2018

"The application causes cuts inside the vagina due to improper design. The inserted part is not smooth.This product should be taken off the market. "

Robbie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 12, 2018

"After using this medication for only 2 weeks I called my doctor because of extremely severe vaginal burning. Even after modifying the treatment days symptoms continued. I discontinued this TERRIBLE medicine and all the discomfort, burning pain disappeared. So for the reason I will not use this drug."

Bml (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2018

"I don't understand all the negative comments. I have finished the two-week buildup phase and now starting on the twice-a week phase. No problem with the packaging. No problems with the pills falling out of the plunger. Pills do not "come out" the next day partially dissolved. No adverse effects from the medication. No problems at all. Even though my doctor said it would take about three months to reach maximum benefit, I already see an improvement. Great medication as far as I'm concerned."

PamJ60 (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2018

"I can deal with the crappy packaging---what I cannot accept is the fact that this generic (yuvafem) DOES NOT compare to Vagifem in effectiveness. I am going to complain directly to the FDA. But, in the meantime I will use Estrace cream. I hope they will withdraw this awful generic from the market."

deb64 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2018

"I find that the yuvafem tablets do not stay in place. Even after being in overnight, the partially dissolved tablet comes out in the toilet. No wonder I am not getting the benefits of the hormone. I have also had the same problems as others with packaging - doses are hard to separate and tablets fall out of dispenser easily. Very poor product. Vagifem was effective for me with none of the above problems."

Bwild (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2018

"After being on Vagifem for over 15 years, the generic Yuvafem was prescribed - mostly to save money. I agree with the complaints about the packaging. I have to use a scissors to separate the meds, and it is easy to cut open the side and expose the meds to air. So disappointing!"

BJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 27, 2018

"This medication is terrible. Applicators are worthless and do not dispense the tablets. I was on vagifem and had no problems whatsoever... Insurance company stated I had to go to yuvafem. Constant achy feeling, constant feeling of needing to urinate. It's so frustrating. For me to go back to vagifem my copay is $180 which I cannot afford. My physician even wrote the insurance company a letter stating that it was medically necessary for me to use the vagifem due to the side effects of the yuvafem but that I needed it at the generic cost. Of course insurance company says no way. "

Ginger (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2018

"I have been using Yuvafem for one month. As soon as I used the product, that night, I woke up with hot flashes. I am 74 years old. I don' t think hot flashes is a good reaction to this product. Going to try to get original vagifem back."

Gloria (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2018